Changing Non-imm "ed" To Non-imm O-a

I'm a U.S. citizen in Thailand on a Non-Imm (catagory Education) visa. I will be 50 years old in the beginning of July. My Visa "Utilize before" date ended on 1 June 09. My "permit to stay" stamp is good until 19 Aug 09.

Am I within the time limits to request a Visa change?

Beer Lite wrote (in another post that has been closed): "if you have at least 21 days remaining on your stay."

Just to clarify, does this refer to 21 days prior to the "permit to stay" stamp date or the "Utilize before" Visa date?

I didn't see anything about the 21 day rule on the MFA web page.

You can't change to a OA visa. A change of visa status is done from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to a non immigrant visa.

You already have a non immigrant visa.

You can go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement if you can meet the financial requirements. You can do this within the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.You will need to prove income of 65,000 baht per month or have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or a combination of the 2 totaling 800,000 baht.

You should check with your local immigration office to see if the will do it or not with an entry from a ED visa. But according to the rules you should be able to do it.

If not you will need to go to one of the nearby consulates and get single entry non-o visa using your passport as proof of being over 50.

A non-oa is a special visa that can only be issued by a consulate or embassy in the US (your home country).

You can't change to a OA visa. A change of visa status is done from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry to a non immigrant visa.

You already have a non immigrant visa.

You can go to immigration and apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement if you can meet the financial requirements. You can do this within the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.You will need to prove income of 65,000 baht per month or have 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 60 days or a combination of the 2 totaling 800,000 baht.

You should check with your local immigration office to see if the will do it or not with an entry from a ED visa. But according to the rules you should be able to do it.

If not you will need to go to one of the nearby consulates and get single entry non-o visa using your passport as proof of being over 50.

A non-oa is a special visa that can only be issued by a consulate or embassy in the US (your home country).

Thanks Joe,

I'll go to the immigration office and ask now that I know what I'm asking for! (an extension of stay, not a new visa).

I was previously on an extension for the reason of Study and then switched to extension for the reason of staying with my Thai wife, I had to do the following...

1. Get a letter from my school confirming that I was still a student

2. Take this letter to Window #1 at Suan Plu

3. Window #1 "released" me from window #1

4. Then go to "the big room" and immediately apply for extension for the purpose of living with my Thai Family

Since you have a ED-visa and are not on an extension for the "purpose of education", not sure if you will have to do the same or not. (my guess is that you won't, but not certain)

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the Nong Khai immigration office and was told I cannot apply for a extention of stay for retierment using my non-imm type ED visa. I was instructed to go get a non-O at a Thai embassy and come back to apply for the extention.

I plan to go to Laos next week to get the non-O. What should I bring?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/consu...ervices_en.html states that I need to bring:

Passport

Visa application

Curriculum vitae

Copy of bank statement

I assume I also need at least one passport photo. Do they need copies of my passport? All pages?

I had to google "curriculum vitae" to find out what that was, basicly a resume. What infomation are they looking for on this?

I have a income verification letter from the US embassy as proof of funds. The letter is dated 17 july 2009. Will the Thai embassy want to keep the letter? I will need to use it to apply for the extention later. How long is the letter valid for use?

Also, after obtaining the non-O should I wait 30 days or apply for my extention right away?

Thanks for any help you can give me.