Registering Marriage In Uk

My wife and I were married in Thailand a couple of years ago and have now returned to the UK for a while. She already has ILR having lived in UK for some 10 years before we met.

Does anyone know the procedure/cost for registering our marriage in the UK ??

Thanks

My wife and I were married in Thailand a couple of years ago and have now returned to the UK for a while. She already has ILR having lived in UK for some 10 years before we met.

Thanks

I think you need to read this page:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/marriage...-and--wales.asp

Just on a quick skim-through, it looks as if you have to apply via the consulate in Bangkok.

You dont need to register the marriage in the UK.

Abolutly correct, providing the marriage is legally registered in Thailand it is legal in the UK. Consular Section can arrange for a copy of the certificate to be lodged with the General Register Officer and whilst there is no requirement to do so it means you can get a copy later, I think there is a fee of about 2000 Baht. It might be worth having translated in Thailand for your own use as I imagine that would be considerably cheaper than in the UK.

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ister-marriage/

Edit - I have just noticed that you are in The UK, sorry you can forget most of what I have said.

Edited by theoldgit

Thanks

phitsanulokjon :)

You do not have to register your marriage.

We married in Thailand, wife had her ILR and now has British passport.

Save your money.

P-jon, all these people are telling you you don't need to register your marriage in the UK, which is perfectly correct. Did you know that, and did you have some reason for wanting to do this? If so, it's something you could arrange next time you visit Thailand.

To say that if you have registered your marriage in Thailand you do not need to register it again in the UK is not strictly correct.

The fact is; you cannot do so. The marriage is already registered and you cannot register it again (unless you divorce first!)

What you can do is deposit a copy of your marriage certificate with the General Registry Office (England / Scotland / Northern Ireland) in the UK. If in Thailand you can do this via the embassy, if in the UK then I am not sure of the procedure, whether you contact them direct or via your local registry office.

The advantage of doing so? If you lose your certificate whilst in the UK you can get a copy; that's it. We haven't bothered, and I don't know anyone who has.