House Plans Fo Very Narrow Block

Hi, I may have the opportunity to put a simple house on a very narrow block,

6 m front by about 25 metre deep. For the purpose of number crunching and doing a few guess-timates, has anyone come across basic floor plans that would facilitate the above.

Would probably look at building with rendered cement block, steel truss with basic thai roof tiles.

To include, front family reception, 2 b'room, kitchen/dinette, shower & toilet.

Any thoughts and ideas appreciated

Cheers

Ken

6 m front by about 25 metre deep. For the purpose of number crunching and doing a few guess-timates, has anyone come across basic floor plans that would facilitate the above.

Would probably look at building with rendered cement block, steel truss with basic thai roof tiles.

Cheers

Ken

Those rooms are going to be very dark if there are buildings close to your walls. If there arn't then remember, anyone can build within 1/2 a metre of your walls.

Good luck.

Cheers

Ken

Hi Ken,

I've designed houses for the last 25 years. There's always a decent solution for every situation. The solution in this case depends very much on the 'situationon the ground'. Send me a PM and I'ld be happy to look at it for you.

Cheers,

JGK/Pattaya

Best solution for such a strip of land is to build a long solid wall 0.5m from one boundary, while the other is set 2m from the boundary with windows and doors. This will allow the building to be of 3.5m width.

single or 2 story?

I would go for 2 storeys. Go to Asia Books and pick up some architectural or interior deco books of Japanese house design.

I remember seeing one that is pretty practical. The land strip was surrounded by buildings on 3 sides with the front facing a road. The architect designed 2 independent 2-storey rectangular blocks, at front and back, and open a central well to the sky for light and ventilation to filter into the blocks. He then link the 2 blocks with a covered bridged on the 2nd level, and provided a sheltered passage at the 1st level. The central well is landscaped.

The 2 blocks are built with solid walls to the property lines and need only be set in 0.5m each sides, thus, the blocks can be 5m wide. Doors and windows open to the central well and the front of the house facing the road.

Have a look at most of the townhouses and shophouses around, they are mostly based on 4m wide by multiples of 4m deep, 4 x 12, 4 x 16 etc.

Problem with townhouses and shophouses that are not end units is that light and air can only enter into the living space at both ends. Much like living in a tunnel.

single or 2 story?

I would go for 2 storeys. Go to Asia Books and pick up some architectural or interior deco books of Japanese house design.

I remember seeing one that is pretty practical. The land strip was surrounded by buildings on 3 sides with the front facing a road. The architect designed 2 independent 2-storey rectangular blocks, at front and back, and open a central well to the sky for light and ventilation to filter into the blocks. He then link the 2 blocks with a covered bridged on the 2nd level, and provided a sheltered passage at the 1st level. The central well is landscaped.

The 2 blocks are built with solid walls to the property lines and need only be set in 0.5m each sides, thus, the blocks can be 5m wide. Doors and windows open to the central well and the front of the house facing the road.

Hi, Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of a central light well, and it could fit in with my one and a half story idea I've been toying with.

I think what I might do is just download some simple house design software and play around with a few room placements, or at least enough to do a few simple costings.

Thanks again

Ken