Live Rugby League

Plenty of time for Wakefield..

SC - Smokie ... I have a soft spot for Wakefield as the first Pub (and only Pub) I worked in London was named the 'Pinder of Wakefield' and apparently is now known as the Monto Water Rats.

http://en.wikipedia....onto_Water_Rats

When we (my sister and I) worked there it was just an old time Victorian Music Hall that had a stage and bands occasionally played there.

It was when I first met the Pogues before they got famous.

The lead singer, (who I thought was called Shaun but the article names him as Shane) had a face only a mother could love and more gaps then teeth, but a heck of a nice chap.

Segueing back ... where is Wakefield in the premiership ladder?

Are they a halfway decent team?

I worked at the Ear Nose and Throat hospital next door a decade or more ago...it was a big indie venue back then....I used to nip in for the occasional pint. The girls were always game to hop down the road to Bagleys or the SW1 club afterwards.

Yeah the on call nights were fun! biggrin.png

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked at the Ear Nose and Throat hospital next door a decade or more ago...it was a big indie venue back then....I used to nip in for the occasional pint. The girls were always game to hop down the road to Bagleys or the SW1 club afterwards.

It's a small world ... my sister fell in love with one of the doctors there ... damm near broke her heart!

He was a Pom ... I have to ask her if she can remember his name!

Speaking of my sister I actually got her to Thailand for the first time this last year.

Just had to dispell all the negative BS about the place.

She had a blast and intends to return later this year with her daughter.

It's a small world ... my sister fell in love with one of the doctors there ... damm near broke her heart!

Speaking of my sister I actually got her to Thailand for the first time this last year.

OMG...SC....I think its him!

Edit: Yeah its funny how people's perception changes after they've actually visited the place. imo its a great place for young kids to holiday.

Edit: Yeah its funny how people's perception changes after they've actually visited the place. imo its a great place for young kids to holiday.

Trust me, I'm a doctor...

do you have any old business cards from The Doctors?

SC

Trust me, I'm a doctor...

do you have any old business cards from The Doctors?

SC

I have a bleep that got sunk in a pint of scrumpy one night....at least I think I do.

I have a bleep that got sunk in a pint of scrumpy one night....at least I think I do.

Scrumpy ... God, that brings back memories.

What were some of the others?

Was it Guiness with a nip or two of Blackberry Blueberry?

Larger Lager and Lime?

Babycham for the girls of course!

No live Rugby League commentary last night?

Apologies if I interrupted the flow.

Please resume normal service.

I'd decided to get up in the middle of the night to listen to the Wigan - Warrington game; I figured I'd be as well to get a bit of sleep in advance of the ordeal, and tried to get my head down, but kept tossing and turning; eventually the boss said "Go home, Cowboy..."

It sounded like a cracking game, though, from the match report. I did catch a bit of the Rabbitohs - Broncos game on AstroSupersports 2, but I was nodding off, due to a late night the previous night, and a couple of beers, so I had an early night.

I followed the HK Sevens on the internet latest scores while in the office this morning (I work alternate Saturdays), as I mentioned here

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/454681-7777777777777777777/page__view__findpost__p__5161197

There's no games on the wireless tonight, and the St Helens Leeds game is late on Sunday evening (1835 kick-off); I might take a listen to the Widnes - London game, though Radio Merseyside are not the most reliable of programmers. I'll struggle to build up any motivation for the 3rd Round Challenge Cup games - Workington Town v Batley, or York City v Hull Dockers, are the broadcast selection

I wonder if I could find Crusaders v Toulouse in French - "c'est un hyoomiliayasion!"

Again, though, its a late kick-off; tant pis.

Better go, before the language police call round, kenwhitameenanatjimmy?

SC

I did catch a bit of the Rabbitohs - Broncos game on AstroSupersports 2, but I was nodding off, due to a late night the previous night, and a couple of beers, so I had an early night.

SC

The Broncos is my team that I follow, being an ex-Brisbane Boy.

Now I live on the Gold Coast and they have the Titans ... but I just don't feel an empathy with them. Plus they are currently in all sorts of financial do do’s

Yet, because of where I used to work I can barrack and support Wakefield ... I team I never have seen pass a Footie!

I did catch a bit of the Rabbitohs - Broncos game on AstroSupersports 2, but I was nodding off, due to a late night the previous night, and a couple of beers, so I had an early night.

SC

The Broncos is my team that I follow, being an ex-Brisbane Boy.

Now I live on the Gold Coast and they have the Titans ... but I just don't feel an empathy with them. Plus they are currently in all sorts of financial do do’s

Yet, because of where I used to work I can barrack and support Wakefield ... I team I never have seen pass a Footie!

I'm a Queensland supporter - I reckon Quade Cooper is the most entertaining League player in Australia, and the fact that he plays in the other code adds particular zest. I was talking to an English Australian, who was counting down the days till he switched codes, though he did not know where to start from...

I first watched State of Origin in Bali, when QLD started their current streak, and although I have done more work in Sydney, I enjoyed the trip to Brisbane more; not least for a particularly long and complicated story that involved family by marriage, an empty seat at a world cup quarter-final, drunkenness and cruelty and an evening in a gentleman's club unwittingly courtesy of the local electrical utility.

SC

Well I wasn't here to comment as I watched the Wire game live in the pub...sadly no Irn Bru though...

Wigan threw it away in the first half and were consumed by Wire's experience late on.

Their kicking let 'em down...

Your luck has held again SC!

My Tigers are tanking.. It's like watching West Ham, but in another sport.

Maybe they should drink Esso petrol and put a tiger in their tank.

post-60794-0-31185300-1332857898_thumb.j

SC

Edit:

The draw for th efourth round of the Challenge Cup is out - the big boys are in now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/fixtures/6484637.stm

We have Keighley away from home, Smokie's crew have a stiff challenge entertaining Huddersfield - probably the highlight of the round.

Ho Ho Ho HoHo Ho Hoi!

Its like bloody Christmas, so it is...

The clocks have changed, and Friday night football starts at the earlier time of 3 am in Malaysia on Saturday morning on Channel 814: Eurosports, entertaining St Helens, the Wire at the Halliwell Jones.

That's a big incentive not to go the pub from work, get paralytic drunk and wake up with a horrible reminder rather than a memory of the night before.

SC

and it's repeated at lunchtime. Then on Sunday I've got a clash between a delayed telecast of the London - Wakefield game, Tigers v Rabbitohs from Sentanta, clashing with the Tokyo Sevens on Star. So much for getting a life, eh?

Well it's Friday night here in Oz ... and it's the Broncos vs the Dragons.

Should be a cracker of a game ...

Bugger, can't find it, only the storm and knights game.

http://www.abc.net.a...m%20v%20Knights

http://www.abc.net.a...rt/rugbyleague/

I think I'm missing broncos just now - I'm going to knock off at 6 sharp and drive home fast as I can to catch the end of it.

SC

Ha Ha Ha Ha (cackling and rubbing hands)

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.

Saints coming off a 46-6 win against Leeds, and Warrington 22-20 victors over arch-rivals Wigan

Its a packed stadium, though unfortunately I'm sat here on the sofa on my own and Lee Briers starts the game off...

and Ade Gardner scores within the first two minutes after back to back sets of six and a scrum from a knocked on interception "... and St helens lead 6-0. What a great start this is for St Helens"

Lance Hohia kicks out on the full, giving Warrington a scrum on the Saints 30 metre line, and for the first time, Warrington have ball in hand.

Warrington get a turn-over, and then straight away, drop the ball. and then a couple of tackles later, turn St Helens over. "Can Warrington just steady the ship in the ninth minute of this match?"

And some great passing sees Paul Wellens go over for the second try to Saints.

And another mistake from Warrington - a reckless off-load by Paul Wood in an impossible situation on their own 20 metre mark sees Paul Wellen go over for a third try.

I might get rid of my television...

SC

Warrington have hardly completed a set of six in the whole first half.

The St Helens defence has been great, though

Can Warrington scrape something before half time frim this penalty?

SC

At last Brett Hodgeson gets over

"We've seen so many passes go to ground, go behind the man"

"Its the first time we've seen Warrington get their three-quarter line going"

and he converts his own try to make it 6-22 just before the half-time break

And Gareth Carvell recklessly off-loads on his own try line and the video ref is adjudging on another possible St helens try, but it is ruled that Jon Wilkins knocked on.

"What on earth did he think he was doing?"

SC

Hope yes...can Wire turn it around yet again this season?

They certainly have the experience.....

Are you not watching the Hull - Bradford game?

Hull 12 - 6 Bradford HT

And you may be pleased to hear

in the other code - latest scores...

Edinburgh 23 - 16

(20 - 6) Scarlets

Glasgow 17 - 3

(10 - 0) Cardiff Blues

Archived