Live Rugby League

Reilly fumbles a high kick; the Warrington players who are off-side can only stand and wait, as London pick the ball up and pass out to the winger Ocaru who steps to one side, then the other, draws the defender and then passes back inside to Michael Robertson, the full-back who goes over to score... Craig Gower adds the extras to stretch the lead to 36 - 18

Chris Hill is penalised for a late tackle on Craig Gower, and goes off to spend ten minutes in the bin, and Craig Gower kicks the penalty goal to stretch London's lead further.

Morley is penalised for a high tackle and a Gower offload sees Julien Rinaldi score beside the posts; Gower kicks his eighth goal of the night sees London stretch out to 44 - 18 ahead

"I don't think anyone would have said at the start of the season, that London would score their most points of the season against Warrington", but since trailing 28 - 6 against Salford a three weeks ago, London have not looked back. From the biggest turnaround in Superleague history, they are now on track to record a famous win over Warrington to keep them off the bottom of the league

And Luke Dorn picks up an interception to score his third for the night, and surely bury Warrington's ambitions for the League Leader's Shield

Good Grief! Luke Dorn kicks through, Chris Bridge can't hit the ball dead and Michael Robertson manages to touch the ball down before it goes out of play

Well, I have to say this is a hyoomilliyashun... Thank goodness Ray French isn't here to see it

Luke Dorn slices through the Warrington defence again for his eighth try of the week, fourth of the night, on top of the four that he scored against Castleford on Sunday.

Who'd have thought it? After beating St Helens and Wigan last week, Warrington collapse to a 62-18 drubbing in London in front of a sparse crowd of less than 2,300 at the Twickenham Stoop

Edited by StreetCowboy

And now we're here with Allan Rooney at the Stobart Stadium, Widnes, with Smokie watching from Diggers, no doubt (or he would be, if the Jambos were not playing at home earlier this evening) for Widnes - Hull FC.

And the visitors have taken the lead; then the Vikings equalise

And Widnes have taken the lead 12 - 10 with a kick to come....

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Widnes have taken the lead 12 - 10 with a kick to come.... AND AGAIN ! on the stroke of half time, "that was absoloootely soopurb"

a kick through sat up for Big Willie Iesa; the Widnes crowd really really enjoying that; the flags are up and its Widnes 20 -10 Hull

"And Widnes have struck gold"

Rees Ambury lines up to kick a conversion after a turnover sees them stretch ahead with another try in the first minutes of the second half... 24 - 10.

If Smokie's listening to this, he knows how I felt, watching the Warrington game...

Widnes 30 - 10 Hull "Who would have thought that?"

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

At half-time at Craven Park, its Hull KR 14 - 8 Wakefield wih a score 15 seconds before the hooter. All to play for, David. Let's hope one of our teams win this weekend!

SC

EDIT: And apparently, the Sir Alfred McAlpine is now the John Smith Stadium in Huddersfield. That just seems bitter....

And Wakefield resumed the way they left off, touching the ball down over the Hull KR line; Mariano with his first touch of the ball.

("from an ABSOLUTELY AWFUL piece of Rover's Play, and how anybody can expect Rovers to do ANYTHING in the play-offs after a piece of play like that...") and we're all square as the conversion goes over; "An awful start to the second half and can Rovers put some pressure on Wakefield"

And Wakefield are opening up a gap as they score their fourth and fifth tries Hull KR 14 26 Wakefield

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Two tries from Hull KR and the game is back on level terms... with fifteen minutes to play

Josh Hodgeson has scored for Rovers! That's a fantastic piece of football from Craig Hall, its like someone's unplugged him ike a genie out the bottle", and the commentators are having a go at Richard Silverwood with the whistle...

And Wakefield have scored! We're al square at 30 points apiece and Paul Sykes is lining up the kick to take the lead

"How vital is this kick, Chris?"

"It's a biggie! It's a bigge!"

"He's missed the goal! He's absolutely missed the kick!"

Rovers somehow come away with the ball from a Wakefield scrum but the referee's not happy...

Now Wakefield have it

Two minutes to go, Sykes with the drop at goal, he kicks the goal and its Hull KR 30 - 31 Wakefield with 26 seconds to play

And that's the way it ends

And Hull KR's play-off hopes are evaporating

Wakefield still in ninth position behind Bradford who were victorious at the John Smith's creamy bitter brewed in traditional Yorkshire squares stadium, and Hull KR slip to tenth place

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And???? SC!!!

And we've got a couple of weeks off now, for the Challenge Cup Final

(Wembelleee! Wembelleee! We're going to Wembelleee!) and then Hull FC meet Bradford while Wakefield meet bottom-of-the-table Widnes, an in the last round Wakefield travel to Salford and Bradford ave the longer trip to Perpignan.

For Hull, they will probably be in the bottom half of the Play-offs, playing in the Elimination Quarter-Finals, and Warrington's hopes of catching Wigan for the league leaders' shield rely on Wigan slipping twice against Salford, Hull KR and St Helens.

SC

Good morning, gentlemen. I assume most of you are on the train down to London even as we speak, looking forward to the highlight of the sporting calendar...

I don't know about you chaps, but I've been looking forward to this for 13 months, since Warrington lost to Wigan in the Quarter-Finals last year.

The Astro schedule shows it not on live, but a delayed telecast immediately after, to avoid the Tour of Spain, so I'll probably listen to the BBC, and then watch the game immediately after. assuming the BBC commentary is accessible here.

Anyway, I've stocked up with Irn Bru for the game...

SC

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.

The strains of "Abide with me" ring out round the stadium

"She's a fabulous singer, Ray"

"Yes, indeed, Allan; fabulous"

and the teams come out onto the pitch

"Adrian Morley takes his team down to the 20 metre line in front of the Warrington fans, and Jamie Peacock similarly at the other end... we were down at the pitch earlier, and that pitch is immaculate"

The first time Adrian Morley won a Challenge Cup final medal, it was for Leeds Rhinos - the last time that they were victorious.

The Guest of Honour and Patron of the Scottish RFU, Princess Anne, comes out to meet the players - the first member of the royal family to attend a Challenge up Final since HRH Phil the Greek, Duke of Edinburgh in 1995

..'Eat yer sandwich' I hear you cry...

and that takes us nicely up to the kick-off;

• Like 1

OH AND THAT'S A MAGNIFICIENT TRY

Chris Hill powered straight through, Richie Myler ran out of space and kicked over to Joel Monaghan "there's no-one better than catching the ball out of the sky than joel Monaghan, and when he did, the try-line was his", and now Joel has scored in every round of the Challenge Cup, from fourth to final. Warrington 6 - 0 Leeds

"Oh my word, Allan, another try gone begging for Warrington", Ratchford picked it up from a knock-on.

"Leeds, Allan, having great difficulty against this Warrington pack"

"Well, they are, Ray"

But Rob Burrows wriggles up to the Warrington 20 metre line, running at the big men, but after six tackles, Warrington get the ball back.

"These two props are really troubling Leeds - oh; Carvell's knocked on" 10 metres inside the Warrington half. Ryan Hall knocks on trying to kick the ball to avoid the touchline, ten metres from the Wire line.

Jamie Peacock makes a terrific break; Sinfield drills the ball down the left hand side.

Leeds have tightened up their defence in midfield, after being torn apart in the first ten minutes.

Penalty off-side against Ben Harrison; Jamie Jones Buchanan taps, into the Warrington 20 metre line... oh! Another penalty to Leeds - "feelings running a little bit high there, with Gareth Carvell, but Bailey is one of those players who invites players to lose their temper"

"Leeds have undone Warringron, Kerr (Keurr) came on the inside, very sloppy marking by Warrington"

"And rain is pouring down now, and the last time I saw rain like this at Wembley was 1968 when Leeds beat Wakefield Trinity... as an absolute monsoon comes down"

"Crikey, Ray, is it coming down"

"But they're all undercover here, and nobody's bothered"

And the scores are level...

Warrington break down the right hand side, but Leeds have tightened their defence considerably, Waterhouse loses the ball, now Leeds lose the ball, a fracas breaks out between paul Wood and Carl Ablett, and suddenly the rain has abetted, now falling as fine but heavy rain, frustrating the players. Another penalty to Leeds. Its Richard Silverwood with the whistle, by the way. I'd rather not speculate on the identity of the video referee... and Kevin Sinfield kicks the penalty to give them an 8-6 lead in 'foul conditions'. Lee Briers' kick-off pins Leeds back on their 15 metres.

A high Lee Briers kick, "Ben Jones-Bishop is underneath it OH AND CHRIS RIELLY HAS GOT IT! but he's lost it".

Warrington turn down a shot at goal for a high tackle and Adrian Morley takes it forward, legs pumping, the ball is spun at speed out wide and Trent Waterhouse touches down, Richard Silverwood points to the ball ten metres to the left of the posts. "It was the power of the run, Allan, he's a big big lad and he's stretched out and planted the ball down.... 12 points to 8 and just over half an hour gone"

Warrington pick up successive penalties, Bennie Westwood is felled five from the try line; Not the best of passes, they lose ground and Chris Reilly has to tidy up. The referee pauses play for an injury to Jamie Jones-Buchanan... Warrington on last tackle, a little Lee briers kick is gathered by Leeds.

And I can tell you that the video ref is Phil bentham, though he's not been called upon yet.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And there's some debate, as it turns out Tyrone McCarthy has, in fact, trimmed, rather than shaved off, his beard.

Leeds get a scrum just inside the Warrington half, three minutes to the break.

Ben Jones-Bishop tackled five minuites beyond the line.

Leeds trying to build on the right hand side; leeds 12 from the try-line on the last tackle, Ryan Hall misses it but Joel Monaghan doesn't, and Peacock comes across, but there's a penalty against Warrington, ten metres from the Warrington try line, Lee Briers penalised for obstruction. Two minutes remaining Leeds have the ball ten metres out. "He's intervened twice, very very well, this man on the near touch line" (James Roby). "It looks to me like he's going for the tee; its a very very difficult kick, flat across the posts..." "If any man can get that ball over, its that man (Kevin Sinfield)" and the flags are up -

Warrington 12 - 10 Leeds. "It's anybody's Cup Final" - and that's the way the first half ends.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And we're off in the second half. Warrington up to the half way line on the fifth tackle. A good kick from Briers forces Leeds to run out; they're trapped on their 20 metre line. Referee Silverwood is clad all in yellow, like a canary (but with a louder whistle).

Sinfield kicks downfield, Brett Delaney lost the ball, Leeds capitalised on the mistake and Leeds have scored ! Warrington are appealing for a penalty from a Lulai tackle that has flattened Hodgeson. Phil Bentham is looking at it for the fifth or sixth time...

"Well, I'd say this Ray, I wouldn't like to be asked to make the decision..."

"No try - scrum defence!"

"It doesn't surprise me"

"Well, it surprises me, Allan"

Anyway, Leeds are coming and terrific defence from Warrington, "Jamie Peacock three metres from the line ... ITS A CHANCE OH HE's HAULED IN TO TOUCH and thrown into the hoardings, advertising Leeds metropolitan University"

Warrington take it away from their own line, penalty for markers not straight, the rain has relented and its hotting up on the pitch. Warrington still looking dangerous, Lee Briers cuts back inside towards the post, 8 metres out... its knocked down, is it another set of six? No, play on, its kicked through, Ben Jones Bishop does ever so well to pick it up but he's forced back over his line, and Leeds to drop out from under the posts.

Oh, that's a knock-on, Lee Briers has knocked on but play on says the referee Oh Dearie me! Crickey! Leeds not complaining They don't have time to complain No they haven't!....

Warrington driving forward, Briers kick to the corner, Joel Monaghan knocks it down, but Leeds kick out again from under the posts.

Warrington driving down the middle, Leeds defending for their lives. Myler scragged down on 20 metre line, Briers puts the ball out wide, Bennie Westwood wriggling, turning but dragged down to the floor, Hodgeson spins the ball out wide and WARRINGTON ARE IN IN THE CORNER All Ryan Atkins had to do was spin the ball out to Chris Reilly and hope that he can get it down."

"That's all come about, Ray, from relentless and consecutive sets of six, and very very fortunate, but its Richard Silverwood's opinion that matters"; but its too far out for Hodgson, and it stays 16 - 10

And Leeds are forced to drop out again, as a deft Briers kick is deflected safe. Warrington passing back and forth, and Lee Briers sidesteps his way forward, but he can't make it to the try line, and he plays the ball back, and Ryan Atkins goes over for the try. And Hodgson's kick is good this time, Warrington stretch out 22 - 10 ahead of Leeds, but there's a long long way to go.

And Phil Bentham is being questioned regarding another Warrington claim for a try. "I can't see an awful lot wrong with that, to be honest, Ray" and "Leeds, well..."; now they're looking at the dummy runners. And the cheers are getting louder... Try it is! 28 -10 if this conversion goes over...

The Leeds pack look to be tiring, with 60 minutes gone, and the Warrington pack really are huning now.

Warrington making use of their very strong bench

Warrington have a penalty, with 18 minutes to go, and 18 points the difference. And Lee Briers has kicked a drop goal! He's pegged them back and Leeds need to score four times, but Warrington knock on from the kick-off.

The other touch judge is James Child, by the way, playing opposite Tim Roby (not James, as I said in post - that would be madness having a St Helens hooker running the touch line).

79,180 watching the game in the stadium, by the way

Zak Hardacre jinks through the Warrington defence, he kicks forward and Calum Watkins is on it "but I think the try is too late for Leeds to get anything from this final"

Sinfield misses the kick, and its 29 - 14 to Warrington.

And Leeds are trying to keep the ball alive, and Leeds are up to the Warrington ten metre line; less than ten minutes to go.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Score??

Sorry about that, gents. I lost my internet connection - must've said "dropped out" once too often.

Warrington Wolves 35 - 14 Leeds Rhinos

Controversially, the disallowed try may have resulted in a different ending.

Warrington win their third Challenge Cup final in four years, Brett Hodgson the Lance Todd Man of the Match

Smashing - the winner's medals are to be presented by Peter Phillips, who you may recall, played rugby league for Exeter University, as well as Union for Scottish Schoolboys.

And Leeds have now lost their last six Challenge Cup Finals, despite their unparalleled success in the Grand Final.

And I'm really looking forward to watching the game on astro in ten minutes...

And the sun is smiling down on the primrose and blue, as the officials go up to collect their medals, even Steve Ganson, the reserve referee, about whom we never even speculated.

And I think Peter is here on his own, his mother's not here at all; I must've misunderstood that...

Adrian Morley hoists the cup aloft, trimmed in primrose and blue ribbons

What a turnaround from last week's 62-10 drubbing last time they came to London, to meet the Broncos at the Stoop in the Superleague! Right, time to get the TV on!

Edited by StreetCowboy

BRA 6 - HFC 70, a record home defeat for Bradford, Hull are still not guaranteed 6th place and a home tie ahead in the play-offs, while Bradford will slip out of the top 8 if Wakefield beat Widnes; or if Hull KR beat Wigan.. A draw for Wigan at Hull KR would see them guaranteed the League Leader's Shield, while if Warrington beat Huddersfield, Hull FC will be safe in 6th place...

And I am sure you will all be scouring the internet for Edinburgh Eagles v Gateshead Storm in the Harry Jepson trophy - that game's not on satellite

SC

Wigan wrap up the League Leader's Shield a week early, with a record-setting come-back against Hulking Stonerovers.

Edinbrugh progress to the seni-finals of the Harry Jepson Trophy for the second year running, with a 36-20 win over Gateshead Storm

Wakefield defeat Widnes and haul themselves into the playoff places, but need to win again next weekend to be sure of holding Bradford out.

SC

I'm watching the repeat of last night's Wigan St helens game...

Wigan score first but Mclorum is sent off for a late high tackle, and Wigan have to survive an hour with 12 men.

St Helens score twice in the first half but immediately after the break big Pat Richards goes over in the corner, then converts his own try to level the scores...

Johnnie Lomax is looking a bit groggy after trying to stop that last try, by the way, being replaced by Polatua

St helens break, kick ahead, but then they lose the ball Wigan break on the left wing...back to the right but Charnley's brought down five metres short, Lulai a metrer short, but its turned over in front of the St Helens sticks... Wigan determined to take the ball to St Helens and the home crowd get behind their team.

And Sam Tomkins loses possession in the middle of the park, and the extra man tells, as St helens take back the lead 16-12

Oh my word its harum scarum stuff. Charnley's given them a real present, and then on the right wing, St Helens pass back to a striped Wigan jersey. St helens strip the ball in the middle of the pitch, and then they're wrongly awarded the scrum, but the refereeJames Child changes his mind for a late drop on the Wigan player who fielded the loose ball. Wigan spin the ball back and forth, but they're pushed into touch, Wigan struggling beacuse of the extra defender...

Wigan force Meli to knockon at the line, but they're penalised for off-side and its six more tackles from ten metres out. St helens are able to make the extra man count again, and Polatua passes out to Josh Jones who has acres of space to score.

St helens score again under the posts against a very tired Wigan defence, to set up a date at the Halliewll Jones next week against Warrington. Seven minutes to go 12-26 in favour of St Helens

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Wigan win consecutive penalties and they're pressurising the St Helens line, Sam Tomkins stabs the ball through the St Helens line and he's able follow through and score, 18 - 26. The Wigan fans are holding on, though, for the presentation of the League Leader's Shield.

St Helens travel to Warrington next week,and Wigan will entertain Catalan Dragons unless they (Dragons) lose to Bradford this wek, and Leeds win at Huddersfield. Also, tomorrow afternoon, Warrington travel a few kilometres down the Mersey to the Stobart Stadium in Widnes; Widnes looking for a win to take them off the foot of the table.

SC

EDIT

I should've mentioned earlier, to ease your concerns and avoid unwarranted speculation... James Child is assisted by Steve Ganson in the video box, it looked like Phil bentham on the far touchline, and I didn't recognise the bloke on this line.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And now, live from Leigh Sports Village, its Salford - Wakefield. The game was shifted to today to accommodate the broadcasters, but that clashed with a Salford FC soccer commitment at the Salford City Stadium, so here we are up the East Lancs Road at leigh.

0-0 after twelve minutes. There's nothing riding on this game, by the way. Wakefield are firmly in eighth position, scraping into the Play-offs, and Salford will end the season in eleventh.

Its no wonder the stadium's nearly empty...can't be more than two thousand there, maybe a lot less. Definitely a lot less, unless their in the stand under the cameras

Frankie Mariano scores the first try for Wakefield "and the noise the Wakefield fans are making you'd think there was tenTHOUSAND in this stadium, but there's a lot less than that"

Salford 0 - 6 Wakefield

And Andy Raleigh puts an even bigger smile on the face of the visiting fans from across the Pennines

Salford 0 - 12 Wakefield

Looks like a long night at the office for Salford... Salford 0 - 18 Wakefield, as Tim Smith feeds Mathers to Collis, running onto the ball like an express train to slide over for the third. Still 13 minutes of the first half to go.

But Salford are chasing the game, and Salford claw a try back after a penalty.

After another try, Salford get up to 20 metres out on the fourth tackle. Salford kep it alive on the last tackle, a long poass from the right wing finds four men in space on the left wing, but Ben Thaler says the pass was forward, without asking Ian Smith upstairs.

And has the momentum of the match swung, as Phil Veivers cracks a smile as Gleeson darts through the paper-thin Wakefield defence?

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Paul Johnson bounces to the line for a 40th minute try to stretch Wakefield's lead to 24-12 at half-time.

Earlier this afternoon, Catalans beat Bradford 50-26 and London beat Hulking Stonerovers 48-42, hanging on as their lead was whittled away - enough to keep tem ahead of Widnes and Castleford, barring miracles...

And after the break, its still end to end stuff, but Wakefield are first to score, as the ball is spun out wide to ben Cockayne who's not marked

And its Salford who score second...Vinnie Anderson shakes off a tackle from Lee Smith! 18-30

And Salford grubber out from under their sticks, pick the ball up and carry on up the park. On the last tackle Wakefield palm the ball back for a drop out which goes deep...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Great defence sees Wakefield hang on to tap out from the 22

Fifteen minutes to go, and Wakefield lead by eighteen... twenty-two,, as Lee Smith slides over

"... Oh, Wakefield we love you" rings round the empty stadium and the conversion makes it 18 - 42

and with eight minutes to go, it looks like it's all over, but no-one has told Salford, as they go over in the corner - 22 - 42.

And Wakefield are on their seventh successive win here

Bit of a scrap between mathers and Holdsworth...

"Oi! Last fww minutes, keep it cool, eh?"

"well, done referee, play on"

Salford opressure the Wakefield line, and a kick through evades the chasers and Mattie Ashurst reminds Wakefield of the importance of tightening their defence 28 - 42

So, next week in the Elimination Quarterfinals it will be

Leeds v Wakefied

Hull v Huddersfield

and in the Qualification Quarterfinals

Wigan - Catalans

Warrington - St Helens.... St Helens the only team to beat Warrington at home this season, according to last night's commentators.

And what an end to the game! A lose Wakefield ball is hacked forward and Broughton kicks forward, a length of the pitch dash and Ashley Gibson touches down to bring the scores to 34 - 42 - a lesson that Wakefield need to tighten their defence before next week against the Champions and World Club Champions

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'm not afraid.

I doubt we'll get all four games on Astro... I would have thought we'll get Wire - Saints in prefernce to Wigan - Catalans, though, and Hull - Huddersfield ought to be a close game than Leeds - Wakefield (No offence intended, David) - though to be fair, Wakefield are on a good streak

Anyway, Widnes - Warrington on the Wireless tomorrow.

SC

20 minutes in at the Stobart Stadium in Widnes and Warrington take the lead after a marvelous Lee Briers pass to Winterstein on the the wing. I'm sat outside E42T on the 3G connection, and i. a bi. erra.ic so th. com.en.ar. might be a .it disj.inted

Sorry, I can't make out what on earth is going on with this connection; Winterstein's a Widnes player... from the latest scores its Widnes 6 - Warrington 10 half an hour into the game

Ray French is beside himself, but I can't make out a word he's saying.

6 - 22 at half time, and the stream has improved during the half-time break...

Widnesstruggling to avoid the wooden spoon, while whtever happens, Warrington will finish second, and play St helens at the Halliwell Jones in the first round of th playoffs.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy