Ford, Mazda Joint Venture Opens New $500 Million

BANGKOK (AP) — Ford Motor Co. and Mazda Motor Corp. opened a new $500 million passenger car plant in Thailand, a move aimed at expanding their production capacity and market share in Asia, they said Monday.

The plant in the eastern seaboard province of Rayong is a joint venture between the two companies to produce the Mazda2 and Ford Fiesta compact cars, they said in the joint statement.

It will increase the annual production capacity at the AutoAlliance Thailand joint venture manufacturing facility to 275,000 vehicles from 175,000, according to the statement. The cars will be sold domestically in Thailand and exported to Southeast Asian countries, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Southeast Asia is a "critical component of our overall growth strategy in Asia," said David Alden, Ford's president for Southeast Asia and Japan.

Thailand is already a major production and export center for pickup trucks. Its passenger car production is dominated by Japanese automakers such as Toyota and Honda.

Ford Motor Co. is the only one of the Detroit "big three" auto companies that has managed to stay out of bankruptcy during the global recession.

http://www.latimes.com/business/nationworl...0,6180423.story

Maybe they might make the Tribute again (here in the realm)

I know that the Escape is available but I have been dealing with Mazda for some years and they have give excellent service, but "no Tributes are being made"

Same with the KIA Sportage which is unavailable here.

If you want a compact SUV it is almost down to Escape, CRV or a Freelander (which are f#@$%*g expensive)

Edited by john b good

• 1 month later...
Maybe they might make the Tribute again (here in the realm)

I know that the Escape is available but I have been dealing with Mazda for some years and they have give excellent service, but "no Tributes are being made"

Same with the KIA Sportage which is unavailable here.

If you want a compact SUV it is almost down to Escape, CRV or a Freelander (which are f#@$%*g expensive)

Like you I've been a satisfied Mazda user (Mazda 3) for a few years. Looking to buy an SUV now - in addition. Am tending towards the Escape which gives me diesel, manual transmission, leather seating which I want (among other things). Would appreciate any views pro or con.

What about Kia or Hyundai? Do they have SUVs in Thailand? Are they competitive?

What about Kia or Hyundai? Do they have SUVs in Thailand? Are they competitive?

2009 Kia Sorrento nice looking 4X4 CRDi [diesel] 1.8 million new. a 2007 have seen for 875,000.....

2009 Kia Grand Carnival People Carrier Commonrail Turbo diesel intercooler, just over 1.7 million new

2009 Kia Carens same size as a Zafira Turbo diesel intercooled cost 990,000 new.

2009 Hyundai H-1 is big People carrier diesel and base model is manual 1,050,000 new.... there are lots about

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe 4x4 diesel but a silly price new 2.5 million.

Both have been updated, but the new face-lifted Tribute did not come here. likewise the replacement for the MPV named the CX7 did not come here