Re-new Retirement Visa

I'm a 65 year old American citizen. I have had a Thai retirement visa for the past 5 years. I will be do for extention in Sept.2009. I have been told that I'm no longer required to have 800,00 baht in a Thai bank. But, that all I need is a letter(notorized) from the American Embassy verifying income in excess of 65,000 baht per month.That is no problem..Can you tell me if this is in fact the case. It seems that if you talk to 50 people you get 50 different amswers to this question..I would appreciate any help you can give me,thanks.

Yes, that is the case, you can qualify on an income/pension letter alone, and it has been the case for years! I am not sure about the details of notorizing the letter from the embassy. The embassy will know what you need as it is routine. I didn't even know they call it notorizing, not sure about that ...

BTW, the US embassy requires NOTHING from you to prove your income claims. The downside of that is that Thai immigration knows that too and may give special attention to Americans qualifying with the letter. In other words, they have the right to ask you for further documentation of the income. That does not mean that will ask that, or that it is likely they will ask, but they have the legal right.

The rules give you an option:

you must either have:

800,000 in a Thai bankaccount for at least 3 months

OR

show an income of 65,000 baht

OR

have a combination of income and money in the bank totaling 800.000 bath.

You can always choose for which option you choose. Incoem from abroad is indeed verified by letter from your embassy. The US embassy can't varrify your income and let you make a sworn stament instead that they notarize. Making a false statment is however a fedral offense if I'm not mistaken.

The US embassy can't varrify your income and let you make a sworn stament instead that they notarize. Making a false statment is however a fedral offense if I'm not mistaken

Yes, making such a false statement is indeed a crime but on the other hand, why would they really care? I have never heard of the US prosecuting anyone for lying about their income for purposes of Thai immigration. Thai immigration, on the other hand, does care.

The US embassy can't varrify your income and let you make a sworn stament instead that they notarize. Making a false statment is however a fedral offense if I'm not mistaken

Yes, making such a false statement is indeed a crime but on the other hand, why would they really care? I have never heard of the US prosecuting anyone for lying about their income for purposes of Thai immigration. Thai immigration, on the other hand, does care.

The US govenrment might care, as it undermines the process. But lets's not get into that discussion and go too much off topic.

All answers are true unless you renew in Nongkhai.

But, since the Imm Police is afraid that we penshionados work here they have the right to ask about the money you need for your living. So they want to see your bankbook with money coming in from abroad and the spendings. Ask for a letter from your Thai bank but I think you are used to that.

In Nongkhai they demand that the embassy letter is verified at Chaeng Wattana and they want to see copies of your housebook, your landlord's ID, the declaration that you rent, everything duly signed, and preferably the housebook too.....

This is Thailand....

"all I need is a letter(notorized) from the American Embassy verifying income in excess of 65,000 baht per month . . . I am not sure about the details of notorizing the letter from the embassy"

Technically, the letter is free, but the Embassy charges US$30 ( or approx. 1100 Baht ) for notarizing *ANY* document -- Thai Immigration requires that the letter be notarized.

Below are links that describe the entire process:

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/News-...e-sid-1202.html

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/News-...e-sid-1201.html

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/News-...e-sid-1203.html

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/News-...e-sid-1316.html

I will be going for my 6th year of 1 year visa extensions next week at the Bangkok office. I am aware that a doctors letter is no longer required. I was told today my my neighbor who renewed for his 10th year two weeks ago, that the lady that processed his paperwork told him that a "bank letter" of your balance is no longer required? The Thai Immigration website has has no reference regarding the bank letter.

Does anyone know if this is fact. I will most likely go get one anyway, unless others can confirm.

Thanks,

-O

I will be going for my 6th year of 1 year visa extensions next week at the Bangkok office. I am aware that a doctors letter is no longer required. I was told today my my neighbor who renewed for his 10th year two weeks ago, that the lady that processed his paperwork told him that a "bank letter" of your balance is no longer required? The Thai Immigration website has has no reference regarding the bank letter.

Does anyone know if this is fact. I will most likely go get one anyway, unless others can confirm.

Thanks,

-O

Bank letter: ALWAYS required if using bank account only

ALWAYS required if using combo method (bank account plus embassy letter)

SOMETIMES required if using embassy letter only, depends on office, Pattaya does require

In Bangkok you will require:

TM.7 with 4x6cm current photo attached (include your phone number on back).

Your passport and copy of ID page, the previous extension of stay pages with original visa and departure card.

Financial documents - if using 65k pension the original Embassy letter - if using bank account your bank passbook/copies and letter of account balance. Money must be in account 3 months at or above the required level.

1,900 baht

There will be two single page forms to fill out some address/name/passport information and sign at processing desk.

Edited by lopburi3

"OK so if using 65k pension and you have original Embassy letter then no bank passbook/copies and letter of account balance is required."

In Pattaya, YES, you need your passbook and individually signed copies -- in some cases they require only a copy of the signature page and the current balance page, other times they ask for copies of ALL the pages in the passbook. ( the same is true for your passport -- sometimes ONLY the current Visa and Name pages, other times ALL the pages )

Since the requirements seem to depend on the whim and mood of the Immigration Officer at the moment, my suggestion would be to arm yourself with as much documentation and copies as you can possibly carry :)

If you don't have all the copies of everything that they're requiring at the moment, they'll have you go out to a copy service and have copies made-- then you'll have to find you way back into the chaotic queue to see the Officer again.

I've seen cases where they send people out multiple times to get copies of something they "forgot" to mention the last time they sent you out. Clearly, either incompetence or harassment, but. . . TiT :D