Thai Subtitles For English Speaking Movies

MaiDong

I've got loads of movies that I want my partner to watch & understand, lots of funny movies and movies with fast dialogue and I'm having trouble finding a decent source.

I've searched around the internet and despite finding several results using google each time I click through to a result it's a generic search result and there are in fact NO Thai subs OR only subs for Korean love stories :)

Any help would be appreciated

Trying to find Mars attacks subs at the moment...

I've got loads of movies that I want my partner to watch & understand, lots of funny movies and movies with fast dialogue and I'm having trouble finding a decent source.

I've searched around the internet and despite finding several results using google each time I click through to a result it's a generic search result and there are in fact NO Thai subs OR only subs for Korean love stories :)

Any help would be appreciated

Trying to find Mars attacks subs at the moment...

I have the same problem. By far the best site I have found is http://www.thaisubtitle.com/manage/list.php?name=D but I would love to hear if thare are any others.

I would also like to know of any good software for ripping Thai subtitles from a DVD to SRT or other format

Edited by thaimite

I wish you lots of luck.

Thai subs are notoriously bad.

Try watching the English subs on 'Gangs of New York' & 'Australia'.

It's a hoot, gawd knows what the Thai version is like. :)

I know how bad the Thai translation of English subs are.

I have even thought of taking the text from an English SRT file and feeding it line by line through Google translator. then recompiling the file. That should be real fun to see the expression fo the family as they try to understand what is going on!!

I also wish there was some solution to this problem. The website given only has mostly wasteland garbage on it. I am appreciative to the person that posted it but it doesn't help that much. There is such limited support for anything in SE Asian languages it seems...

I tried to do the same thing for my girlfriend. Looked for subtitles on the nett, ripping from DVD etc but in the end I decided the best way was to buy a local pirate version of the same movie for 100 baht or less and the Thai subtitles were already there. Saved me a lot of time and trouble and the girlfriend got to enjoy the movie.

Now the Sci-FI Channel has started on Sophon Cable I am introducing her to all my favourites with Thai subtitles, such as Stargate, Battlestar, Merlin etc etc.

Chris

I've found subs for one movie I want to watch but when I play it all I see is strange script, as if VLC player can't recognise Thai script, is there anything I can do about this? :)

Do a google search for - Thai fonts free download

Install a few new Thai fonts in your windows/fonts directory

And make sure that you have 'support for East Asian Languages (inc Thai)' Installed, and a Thai language option in the language bar.

That should solve your problem.......

If not, you could always install the English language pack on your wife!

It's just that Thai pirates do not use websites to share subtitles. Someone types them up and then they pass around as part of a full DVD image instead of uploading on popular sites like opensubtitles. Makes sense, as they don't use torrents as part of their distribution channels to their clients.

Greedy monopolists - if they uploaded subs, anyone could have got English version off torrents, burned it with Thai subs, and had his own pirated DVD.

I have no doubts that Thai pirates use torrents/usenet as a source for their videos but then they don't share whatever they create themselves, like subs or DVD images.

Thai subs or English subs on Pirate DVDs are more often than not computer generated,....

Which accounts for the lack of coherant language and total nonsense that they sometimes are.

My wife gets a headache reading some of the Thai stuff... She'd rather read the English if they are better.

If even the English are bad, then I turn those off too, and the movie becomes an exercise in Listening...

Which, of course, I encourage.

CS

• 8 months later...

Have to agree with posts about Thai subs being piss poor. I remember watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen with Thai subs enabled. After 20 minutes, I turned it off. The translation was bad and didn't even follow the story line accurately. :)

What about perfect transliterations of Thai dubbings.

That is: a western movie dubbed into Thai and the exact dialogue replicated where there would normally be subs.

'Subtitles' normally only have around 30% of the contents of the speaking dialogue because of space contraints.

Finding these transliterations seems more difficult than the subs. The cable channel 'IPM A Film' shows the transliterations for every movie that it has dubbed into Thai. So where does it find the transliterations?

Edited by Gaccha

• 10 months later...

This thread has quite a few links, to 1,000's of subs

Any non-Thai film released here on DVD has both Thai subtitle and Thai soundtrack (dubbed) options. There are many Thai-centric torrent sites were you can find these. I prefer the ISOs (4.0+ gB), then you get all the DVD options, including subtitles, dubbed and extras.

Thats what I thought to, a friend of mine shows up with some of the latest ripped BluRay movies that have been burnt to blank DVD's from ISO's, Thai Subs + Soundtrack. She sit's there watches the subs, and seems quite content? There really that bad?

Perhaps I'll try taking the picture from one movie + the subs from another, and wait n see how long it takes till she notices...

This thread has quite a few links, to 1,000's of subs

Any non-Thai film released here on DVD has both Thai subtitle and Thai soundtrack (dubbed) options. There are many Thai-centric torrent sites were you can find these. I prefer the ISOs (4.0+ gB), then you get all the DVD options, including subtitles, dubbed and extras.

Thats what I thought to, a friend of mine shows up with some of the latest ripped BluRay movies that have been burnt to blank DVD's from ISO's, Thai Subs + Soundtrack. She sit's there watches the subs, and seems quite content? There really that bad?

Perhaps I'll try taking the picture from one movie + the subs from another, and wait n see how long it takes till she notices...

I may be missing the point(s) of your post. Some people prefer subtitles, some people prefer dubbing. I happen to prefer the former, as do most people I know. Dubbing, other than say on MST 3000 or a really bad Japanese scifi movie, is somehow unbearable, perhaps owing to the lipsynch issues? AFAIK, the Thai subtitles and dubbing on locally released "real" DVDs are, to the best of my knowledge, quite good.

FWIW, the Thai-centric torrent tracker sites all have massive content not limited to current feature releases. They have a lot ov TV shows, but in some cases may be a season behind.

example:

post-9615-0-17044700-1299150269_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

• 8 years later...