Ford Hi-rider

well, here it is,

i know nothing about cars, and i need one. :o

from those i've seen (all pick-ups) i can understand on no major differences, or at least none that would affect the intended uses of the car (commuting to and from work, occasional weekend trip)

The most convenient , financially, servicewise, etc seems to be the Ford HiRider

2.5, auto, with all the trimmings :D

but is it worth it?

anyone with first hand experience or valuable opinions to throw at me please?

cheers

costas

its an old design , 8 years or so , and is due to be changed soon.

the diesel engine technology is also old , isuzu and toyota common rail engines are more fuel efficient. the ford interior is outdated too.

its an old nail that has been given a makeover to give it showroom appeal until the new model comes along. i've heard that ford servicing and customer service doesnt compare to toyota or isuzu , but i have no first hand experience of the model.

if you want the car as a workhorse or appliance then its probably fine.

but for a slightly bigger outlay you could be getting , i believe , a much better car.

chevrolet who use isuzu technology have a new model on the market and it is priced competitively.

Tax,

I agree with you.

But some Ford/Mazda models are being outed at 25 percent discount now and that puts a different slant on it.

The 2.9 is a dog but despite the old technology the 2.5 turbo isn't all that bad for an indirect injection and there are no electronics to go wrong so for a work horse it is OK (ish) .

i know it sounds silly but since

a. i'll only doing 20 km a day on a flat straight line

b.i'll only be going locally for WE trips, i.e not major journeys involved

c. i could not care less about how better a model i dont really need is

and most importantly

d. i'll be paying as a Thai,

i.e itsnot a visit to the shop with cash in pocket (as i dont have any) :D

but over 4 years, it would appear that for 650k (ish) i'll probably be getting something that will do my job.

i know that most will laugh at the notion of trying to get something 100-150k cheaper but i just dont have it at the moment.....

as long of course as the car is not an established mankiller that has a history of breaking down every 20 minutes or something :o

thanks again and keep the opinions coming, i wont be buying till the weekend

costas

c. i could not care less about how better a model i dont really need is
you are a car salesmans nightmare , but its the only way to buy really.
i know that most will laugh at the notion of trying to get something 100-150k cheaper but i just dont have it at the moment.....

100 to 150k is about 5 years worth of fuel and servicing , the only smile should be on your face.

If you are only doing 20km on straight raods, have you considered a small car, they start at 450-500,000 and are better on fuel than the pick up's, easier to drive and more comfartable, but you lose on practicaly and resale value, can get some good second hand deals although finance thend to be much more expensive second hand. The Isuzu and toyota are about the pick of the pick-up's at the moment, with the toyota probably the better.

Thank you all

i appreciate a lot all the input!

havent bought the car yet, still the toyotas to look at...

as i said, being totally ignorant of cars, i thought that second hand would not be an option worth investigating, i'd be ripped of in a heartbeat :D

as for small cars definetely in the run, but unfortunately my size would not allow them to be too small ... :o so, the money goes up....

PS. is it true that the Ford i am eyeing drinks double than the equivalent isuzu / totyota/ chevy? thats what my maths suggest but i'd love an informed opinion...

cheers

costas

Hey , living in thailand you don't go buying a german car do you. You'd better off with a mitsu,toyota or similar. Sure it's more expencive but for a reason you know. 10 years with ford tought me this , you get what you pay for.