Termites And Laminate Floor In Condo? Better Use Tiling?

frenchFARANGbkk

Hi,

Can you tell me what to think about when buying laminate floor ?

It should me 12 mm ? What about Termites ? Water-resistant ?

Do you think that laminate sold at homepro is good enough ? They also install it for free.

Thanks for help.

Installing it is a bugger. Been there, but not in LOS.

Definitely go for the one that does it for you :)

Hi,

Do you think that laminate sold at homepro is good enough ? They also install it for free.

Thanks for help.

I had a laminate floor put in my lounge about 2 years ago and to date never had problem with it, one or two of the joints have opened slightly, which may be due to humdity or possibly wifey spilling something on the floor ??, but over all very pleased with it...

The trick with laminate is buy the thickest you find in what you are looking for, so your 12.0mm sounds about right...

Most of the homepro stuff I looked at appears ok and same quality you would get in Europe, didnt know they installed for free, am considering getting the Kitchen done so might have a look at them, by nature I am very cynical when someone from a company tells me I am getting something for free, so If was you compare the square meterage charge for the laminate from homepro with your "free installation" against a company who supplies the material and labour to install, or if you are feeling brave install it yourself, its not that hard, just takes a bit of planning and diligence.. :)

Thanks for replies.

So it seems ok to use laminate in tropical country full of insects.

When i say "Free" I also inderstand that it's included in the price, but i feel good to have a shop to burn in case the job is not great, and i'm sure that homepro won't close doors so fast and make a runner ;-)

I will ask but i also guess that all laminates are impregnated with anti-termites chemicals at home pro ?

Thanks for help !

Install only laminated floor boards that have been impregnated with anti-termites chemicals. Avoid using them in humid areas.

I get mine from Leowood, 3rd floor Seacon Square (Robinson side).

Forget wood over here. I like granite tiles , or real granite. It is nice an ole to walk on and never have problem with termite, or any other bugs. It is perfect for places that could have sun too

I have laminate wood floor in my kitchen and living room. I have been VERY happy with it and after 5 years it still look as good as new. No problem with spilling a bit of water in the kitchen area.

It is laid on a thin layer of cork, making it much softer to walk on than teak or ceramic tile floor.

post-67623-1248008573_thumb.jpg

Be very careful of the Termites.

I had dark wood skirting boards fitted in my bedroom some years back, then recently noticed my wardorbes had the termites.

We treated the wardrobes best we could and then through the night, I could hear a clicking noise all over my room.

The next day we pulled the skirting boards away and was horrified by the millions and millions of Termites. We threw all the wood away, and hopefuly the Termites as well.

It really has put me off from buying anything wood again in Thailand.

I am not the only one, my Partners boss lives in a new luxury house and his roof is infested with them, it has to be sprayed every week.

Take the totally safe route and go with Tile. Better for the tropics and humidity for just about everything. What is your subfloor like? If you are just laying tile over a wood subfloor, you may have termites in the structure you are not aware of. Typically in the USA, tile is often laid on top of plywood subflooring, especially anything that is not a ground level floor as we don't use cement between floor levels except in commercial buildings. Super treated bug resistant plywood or even cement board is available.

Our condo has teak floors in all the rooms except wet rooms. Looks fantastic, reasonable easy to maintain and although we had termites in one of our wooded windows none in the floor.

I'm partial to the wood myself. But the termites can show up most anywhere as they fly during breeding season and can get into everything.

If you ever see what appears to be sawdust on your wood chances are it is termites.

I had Leowood laminate installed in my condo. It looks great and makes a nice visual change from all the tile you see everywhere. I used the 8mm.

However, I live in a sea-fronting condo and my windows (sliding doors actually) are not 100% water-tight apparently. After the first rainy season I noticed that right in front of these sliding doors the laminate started to swell very slightly. Under the right light conditions this swelling was very obvious. I had these doors removed, re-siliconed and replaced. Then I replaced the damaged boards.

One year went by and now we are in the rainy season again. Damaged boards again.

My new plan is to install a tile "landing" in front of these doors.

The laminate boards are manufactured from pressed wood and any sustained water contact will ruin them.

Hi,

Thanks for help.

If you have a condo with a ground floor and second floor etc. I would say: tiles on ground floor and laminate on second (and above). Reason not to put laminate on ground floor is simply as it is closer to the dirt/soil so easier for termites. Most laminate already are anti-termite treated before sale (at least my experience). If you mean by condo that you are on the 12 floor of a huge building, you are probably ok regarding termites.

Especially in the bedrooms it looks nice, don't need laminate really in your living as it get damaged quicker.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Do you know if there is any special treatment for insects (termites?) to do before installing laminate flooring ?

I want to destroy tiling and put laminate directly on cement, but treat the ground before installing the wood (even when I know that laminate is already treated).

Thanks.

I want to destroy tiling and put laminate directly on cement, but treat the ground before installing the wood (even when I know that laminate is already treated).

Thanks.

Why ?....if there is no reason to lift the tiles, then why bother, just making extra work for yourself, as pointed out most laminate is already treated....you dont need to treat the cement.