Best Option For Recently Engaged To Live In Thailand?

As recently engaged to a Thai lady, I'd appreciate opinions on the best way forward.

Would it be better to stay on tourist visas ( I'm over 60, so believe I can get a multiple re entry visa for up to a year ), or is there a better visa ( 90 day multiple re entry? ) to use, till we get married and I can get a marriage visa to stay in Thailand ( I understand that I can convert a tourist visa to marriage visa in Thailand ).

Or, live in Thailand on a retirement visa, and convert that to a marriage visa at such time as we get married.

I already have enough in the bank for a marriage visa, but it will be a struggle to get the balance for a retirement visa, which is the reason for the post.

I will be receiving a small superannuation, which will hopefully be just enough to live on, but would appreciate advice from others in the same situation as to how much extra I would need to cover mandatory yearly expenses. eg visa renewal, medical insurance and ?.

If it makes any difference, we'll probably be living in Chiang Mai.

Thanks for any helpful contributions.

You could get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa to visit friends. This would give up to 15 months and would need a border run every 90 days. The nearest Consulate that would issue this would be Perth Australia.

You could get a double entry Tourist Visa from Vientienne Laos. This would give 6 months with extensions and a border run in the middle.

You could get the Retirement Extension if you had the financial qualifications. 800,000 Baht in the bank OR 65,000 Baht a month OR a combination of both.

Best bet? Get Married.

You could get a Multi Entry Non Imm Visa to visit friends. This would give up to 15 months and would need a border run every 90 days. The nearest Consulate that would issue this would be Perth Australia.

You could get a double entry Tourist Visa from Vientienne Laos. This would give 6 months with extensions and a border run in the middle.

You could get the Retirement Extension if you had the financial qualifications.

Best bet? Get Married.

Thanks, but don't intend getting married for at least 1 year.

With regards to your questions about medical insurance you should know that it is very difficult to get one here in Thailand from a Thai insurance company if you are 60+.

Thanks for the info, but is it impossible?

There must be lots of 60+ farangs living here on retirement visas; what do they do?

With regards to your questions about medical insurance you should know that it is very difficult to get one here in Thailand from a Thai insurance company if you are 60+.

There must be lots of 60+ farangs living here on retirement visas; what do they do?

Not impossible,but not easy,either.

Most 60+ farangs pay the bill and hope to stay,reasonably,healthy.

Or they pay an horrendous amount of money for the cover.

Or their partner,husband or wife,is covered by the Thai system and they,partially, benefit from that cover. :)

Its possible to obtain but most companies will drop you when you reach 65 or in some cases 70. You will get the best answers to this question if you post on insurance forum.