Driving License Renewal In Pattaya

Rimmer

I renewed my 5 year driving license yesterday at the office up on the Highway and the following will be of interest to anyone doing the same.

I was there at 8pm to avoid the crowds, the office opens at 8.30.

There is a desk just inside the entrance where a girl sits, get a form from her.

You will need:

Passport

One set of copies of passport front page

One set of passport visa page whatever visa that may be.

One letter from the immigration department stating where you live.

Your old driving license

It seems you no longer need a medical certificate.

Fill out the simple form at the desk and hand it to the girl she will check the documents and give you a number.

Go upstairs and take a seat, the girl at desk number one then calls for you to hand her the documents.

When they have about 20 people they collect them together and you walk through into the back room where you are tested on a machine for braking reaction and the ability to line up two pointers inside a box.

They also test your ability to see colors on a wall chart.

There is another test that seems to test your peripheral vision and ability to see a green or red light out of the corner of your eye. In order to do this you have to put your nose in a notch on the machine, not I would have thought a good idea at this time with swine flue around. Maybe take a tissue with you to put on the nose rest!!

The girl who does the tests is very polite, very helpful and speaks good English.

Having passed all of the above you then go into a small room for a VDO presentation after that you pays your money to the man outside at desk one who also takes your picture.

Five minutes later collect your license and you are off.

The whole procedure took me 2 1/2 hours or if you like 2 hours from the time the doors opened.

A puzzling sideline to all this. My new license is valid for five years until year 2557 and cost 655 baht.

My wife who renewed her 5 year license one month before paid 655baht ( she thinks) and her license is valid up to year 2558. Not a fluke as her motorbike license renewed on a different day is also valid for 6 years.

But stranger still her young sister who renewed at the same time got until year 2557.

Regardless hope this will be of some use to some one out there

I renewed my 5 year driving license yesterday at the office up on the Highway and the following will be of interest to anyone doing the same.

There is a desk just inside the entrance where a girl sits, get a form from her.

You will need:

Passport

Your old driving license

Fill out the simple form at the desk and hand it to the girl she will check the documents and give you a number.

Go upstairs and take a seat, the girl at desk number one then calls for you to hand her the documents.

When they have about 20 people they collect them together and you walk through into the back room where you are tested on a machine for braking reaction and the ability to line up two pointers inside a box.

There is another test that seems to test your peripheral vision and ability to see a green or red light out of the corner of your eye. In order to do this you have to put your nose in a notch on the machine, not I would have thought a good idea at this time with swine flue around. Maybe take a tissue with you to put on the nose rest!!

The girl who does the tests is very polite, very helpful and speaks good English.

Having passed all of the above you then go into a small room for a VDO presentation after that you pays your money to the man outside at desk one who also takes your picture.

The whole procedure took me 2 1/2 hours or if you like 2 hours from the time the doors opened.

A puzzling sideline to all this. My new license is valid for five years until year 2557 and cost 655 baht.

My wife who renewed her 5 year license one month before paid 655baht ( she thinks) and her license is valid up to year 2558. Not a fluke as her motorbike license renewed on a different day is also valid for 6 years.

But stranger still her young sister who renewed at the same time got until year 2557.

I was there renewing my 5 year car licence this morning, I paid 605 baht, I found the staff very un-frendly & rude, the whole procedure is somewhat crazy anyone could pass those tests, but exactly as you say above, didn't appear to be any driving test for new people applying for a new licence, i was sat down & told to read a book of roadsigns for 1 hour, what quite frankly you could read in 5 mins, all self explantory.

One guy i was chating to changed his licence from a 1 year to a 5 year, no test or anything, he was out of there in all of 10 mins.

From the time they started @ 8.30 I was out in approx 2 hours.

While i was wating for the place to open, one of the lady workers turned up for work on her motorbike with her son in his school uniform, the mother got of said good bye to her young son, 12 year old at a guess, then he rode of on his own, neither wore crash helmets, & then the centre is trying to tell people how to drive safely by showing a 1 hour movie, bit of a contradiction of terms there!!!

I didn't think 12 year old children were eligable for a motorbike licence?

Edited by dickie58

The reason for the different years is that it will be valid until your next birthday, 5 years after the date you renew.

In your example, your birthday must be somewhere between July and December, whereas your wife's is somewhere between Jan and June.

While i was wating for the place to open, one of the lady workers turned up for work on her motorbike with her son in his school uniform, the mother got of said good bye to her young son, 12 year old at a guess, then he rode of on his own, neither wore crash helmets, & then the centre is trying to tell people how to drive safely by showing a 1 hour movie, bit of a contradiction of terms there!!!

I didn't think 12 year old children were eligable for a motorbike licence?

School children are exempt from all traffic laws, as the BiB know they don't have any money! :)

The reason for the different years is that it will be valid until your next birthday, 5 years after the date you renew.

In your example, your birthday must be somewhere between July and December, whereas your wife's is somewhere between Jan and June.

Thanks for that, you are indeed a man of many talents, yes my birthday is July and her's is May. She will be so p*****d off she thought she had beaten the system and got a free year, I suppose she has really :)

I went to renew both my car and bike licences last month. Both were one year licences and I have now been given 5 year licences. I took all the relevant documentation including a medical certificate. I actually took TWO medical certificates and TWO residence letters from Immigration as I wanted to be doubly sure. I didn't need both certificates. A photocopy was good enough for the lady at the front door. I also didn't need to take any form of eye or colour tests or any other form of test. I went upstairs, waited about 30 minutes, had my photo taken and was handed the two licences.

At Immigration I told the lady that the certificate was for a driving licence and she asked me if it was for both car and bike. She told me I would need TWO certificates and charged me accordingly.

Then you must be a special case,when I renewed both licenses I was asked for 2 certificates of residence.Although didn't need a medical certificate.

You will need:

Passport

Your old driving license

You will need:

Passport

Your old driving license

Sorry for my post before but i am just a beginner and my english is not so good.

When you have a driving license you look to the date. It is always renewal on your birthday. The driving license is good 1 month after your birthday so if you go after they give you then 6 years in sted of 5

• 1 month later...
"One letter from the immigration department stating where you live."

When I go to Immigration what do I ask for? Is there a special form they use? What do I need to bring to Immigration to prove my residency?

Special form on the desk inside the door on the left of Immigration dept.

House Book will do for proof of residency.

When I go to Immigration what do I ask for? Is there a special form they use? What do I need to bring to Immigration to prove my residency?

Special form on the desk inside the door on the left of Immigration dept.

House Book will do for proof of residency.

Thank you but I don't have a House Book. We live in a rented condo.

You need to ask for a certificate of residence,take with you 2 passport photo's a recent utility bill in your name or your rental contract and copy's of your passport and visa.

You need to ask for a certificate of residence,take with you 2 passport photo's a recent utility bill in your name or your rental contract and copy's of your passport and visa.

Thank you. That's useful. The only bills I have in my name are for my mobile post pay and True Vision and I am planning to cancel True. Would the mobile phone bill suffice?