How To Say "no" In Polite Manner In Thai?

traveller76

True, now that you mention it - when I decline food or drink I actually do use ไม่เป็นไรครับ rather than ไม่เอาครับ ...

It's not what my Thai teachers taught me, rather it's emulation of what many Thais around me tend to do.

Maybe you would be kind enough to also include the english phonetic spelling for those of us who are still attempting to learn thai text. :)

I use the website below. Not so great English to Thai, but does a good job Thai to English since it will do sentences. The translations of the words are dictionary like, but if you combine looking at what the word is with the explanation, you can often figure when the translation is weird.

Also, when there are phonetic spellings of English words in a sentence it will make no sense until you look at the words and realize if you string them together it makes a word. Sometimes it will not translate parts so you have to put individual characters or just a few until something shows.

I prefer the Dictionary box in the upper right to the big box. The Dictionary breaks the sentence up into the words for the translation. The big box doesn't break it up so much.

http://www.thai2english.com/

Thanks Carmine & rgs, I have seen those websites and they are both great. Live and Learn, its great. :D

Agreed neverdie and my thanks can also be added.

No disrespect to those who are proficient in Thai language, but these sites are probably much more useful not only for Traveller 76 / the OP, but many other members who for one reason or another are not proficient in the written and spoken Thai.

He does not ask anything more than what I interpet his enquiry to mean and that is basic words / phrases ( best explained in English terminology ) to say the equivalent of the 3 polite responses listed.

( e.g. If someone asks me, I usually spell it in English as to how a particular word or phrase sounds in situations like this. )

Unless you are proficient in Thai language, and many of our members are not, it isn,t really helpful to do so as they will only be more confused than they already are.

Basic responses in English terminology are IMHO far more useful unless Thai language and the written word are specifically asked for.

marshbags :)

Edited by marshbags

Shouldn't we point out that the response depends as well on the "status" of each person, and the context at the time?

I like the fact that when saying "no" in English a Thai will say "Yes, that is not possible". That might be an indication as to how to be polite about it.

If anyone wants a good guide to reading Thai and understanding the transliteration into English then "Fundamentals of the Thai Language" (if you can find a copy) is pretty good.

Thais would not normally say sia jai or khor toht in this situation as suggested by some It is a bit over the top.

I wondered about this and think you are probably right. But are there any situations where something like this is said as an equivalent of the English, 'Sorry but I can't buy now' or similar phrases?

Edited by citizen33

Don't mean to change the subject, but could someone explain how you are able to write both English and Thai script in your posts with, what appears to be , such ease? I use an IBM laptop running XP.

No idea but i will ask my friend well i will tell ya soon.

Go to the shop, buy an USB keyboard with Thai script, attach it to the computer.

Now you are halfway.

Last step, in Windows, make Thai script available.

And there you go.

Shouldn't we point out that the response depends as well on the "status" of each person, and the context at the time?

I like the fact that when saying "no" in English a Thai will say "Yes, that is not possible". That might be an indication as to how to be polite about it.

If anyone wants a good guide to reading Thai and understanding the transliteration into English then "Fundamentals of the Thai Language" (if you can find a copy) is pretty good.

Yes, I cut my teeth on this in the early 70s - an excellent book. However, the original black-covered version (written by a Thai and an Australian) was replaced later by a blue version with no acknowledgement of the original authors. The new version contained a lot of errors, presumably as a result of the plagiarism process - enough to significantly detract from its original worth.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the book is helpful, as it's just the original, with its helpful method of approach, plus lots of unforced errors. I haven't seen it for more than 10 years. Perhaps they've cleaned it up in the meantime.

Can I suggest the following?

No, thank you - Mai ao (or mai rub; if you're being offered something like a food item in a restaurant).

Excuse me (as in, can you move aside, please) - khor thoat ( or khor tharng noi, if the former doesn't work).

If you're invited to do something you don't want to do - khob khun (with head-shaking).

A smile and always use khrub/kha, plus suitable body language should do the trick without upsetting anyone. Even touts can recognize and respond well to good manners.

Yes, I cut my teeth on this in the early 70s - an excellent book. However, the original black-covered version (written by a Thai and an Australian) was replaced later by a blue version with no acknowledgement of the original authors. The new version contained a lot of errors, presumably as a result of the plagiarism process - enough to significantly detract from its original worth.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the book is helpful, as it's just the original, with its helpful method of approach, plus lots of unforced errors. I haven't seen it for more than 10 years. Perhaps they've cleaned it up in the meantime.

Can I suggest the following?

No, thank you - Mai ao (or mai rub; if you're being offered something like a food item in a restaurant).

Excuse me (as in, can you move aside, please) - khor thoat ( or khor tharng noi, if the former doesn't work).

If you're invited to do something you don't want to do - khob khun (with head-shaking).

A smile and always use khrub/kha, plus suitable body language should do the trick without upsetting anyone. Even touts can recognize and respond well to good manners.

I'll add my recommendation to use the textbook, "The Fundamentals of the Thai Language". The full text is available, online, at:

http://www.lyndonhill.com/FunThai/CONTENTS.html

You'll get a better result if you take the time to study a few chapters of this book, rather than trying to learn phrases in isolation. It's not too hard, and the transliteration system used is one of the best I've ever seen. Within the first three chapters you'll find answers to the questions you posed here. The help of a native Thai speaker is, in my view, indispensable at any stage of the learning process. If you're not bothered by a bit of hard work, study the chapters on reading and writing too. It will, quite literally, open your eyes to many new things, and bring to life much that would otherwise be incomprehensible as you travel around the kingdom.

There are expressions for certain situations:

ie: The sale person at department store show you some cloth, shoes etc.

You can say:

ผมขอดูไปก่อน (Pom kor du pai korn) = I ่ีwant to look around for the moment.

ยังไม่เอาครับ (Young mai aow krub) = For now, I don't want it.

If you don't want it, its easy just say, "Mai ow Krup". Virtually every time you finish saying something, to be polite you should finish with 'Krup' if you are a male or 'Ka' if you are female.

From a B.P. Becker phrase book there is:

ไม่เอาได้ไหม mai ow dai mai (can I not take it?)

To me this sounds a bit more polite than a simple

ไม่เอา mai ow

is it more polite?

Don't mean to change the subject, but could someone explain how you are able to write both English and Thai script in your posts with, what appears to be , such ease? I use an IBM laptop running XP.

It probably all hinges on whether or not you have a keyboard with Thai script on it, you probably wouldn't be asking the question if you had, so go to the computers forum, I think there are 'virtual keyboards' etc. explained there.

I believe you need MS Word (or another w-p program) for Thai, which I'm sure includes English, and stickers with Thai script for the keyboard. I've never actually bought the program, but seen it, and every computer I've ever bought in Thailand already has it, with stickers on keyboard if laptop. My current laptop doesn't have Thai, but I can cut and paste what others have already written OR open 'accessories'> 'system tools' > 'character map' and then point and click from many scripts, including 'Dok champa' w/ Thai & Lao (mine's an Acer, assume others similar).

re: polite Thai, some of these answers seem a little fuzzy, so for beginners:

'Mai bpen rai' DOES NOT mean the same as ไม่เอา 'mai ow', but can mean 'you're welcome' after 'thank you', so not advised to avoid confusion.

'Sia jai'= "to FEEL sorry" is appropriate when somebody dies, not in a crowded passage.

If offered another/more of something you don't want, 'por laew' is always good.

...shouldn't be so lazy, I guess ขอทอด means take off your clothes, I don't get the chance to say that much!

The word you're looking for there is ถอด

Oops! thanks.

But everybody here is getting the vowel wrong. Sorry (I beg for punishment) is ขอโทษ

Thai language is difficult for sure :)

"Khor Tod" (Sorry) as an exemple and when prounonced wrong, means that you are itching in the ass (Tot) ,and where I after som redheaded experienses have had much more suxess with the similar word " Garuna" thats means "Please", and everybody seems to be happy

About "No Thanks "in a polite way I learned the word " Mai Rap Khrap" what means "No Thanks ,not this time" and what is a polite way when everybody put flowers ,dvd´s and handicrafts up on your nose or recommand you some desserts

"Mai aow khrap" is also polite and translated it becomes : Dont bring it to me, Thank you

now, "ko tort" or "khar tot"? I'm confused :)

Its this one wherever you see it the vowel sound will be the same ขอ ทอด = kอ tอd, yes it really is that simple.

It's ขอโทษ [R]khaw [F]thoot; someone has already corrected the pronunciation.

Its got nothing to do with your keyboard, you have to download the language to your computer, you can type in hundreds of languages if your smart enuf.

That's needlessly complicated. Just follow the instructions at How to Type in Thai on a PC and Mac.

It will help to have a cheatsheet giving how the keys for Thai characters are labelled on your usual keyboard layout so you can look up from Thai character to key - assuming you are familiar with your keyboard layout. This helps even if your keys are also labelled with the Thai characters, for which you can get a Kedmanee-labelled keyboard or stickers.

Switching keyboard mappings is easy if you only use two. I've wound up with so many (10) that now I just call up the pick list on the language bar whenever I need to switch.

thai language expression is quite similar to english expression.

the thai words expressed here are just like the english words we use daily, which will indicate how many long years the speakers of the language have suffered through in their lives within the confinement of higher institution of learning.... lol

in order not to appear like what some might consider as--having a holier than thou attitude or having a superiority complex, i would humbly submit my lame observation on thai spoken words as they appeared on several previous pages as expressed by 'many able thai language students and teachers' from different regions, that....

1--most of the thai language you were taught is really very basic and it does not take into consideration varying social settings.

2--the thai words you were taught are generally quite useful for survival situation.

3--you really ought to trade in your "teacher" if you are taught spoken thai language in an actual classroom setting.

perhaps, we already know that thai language contains several level of proficiency, take for example;

to eat: geen khaw กิน (ข้าว)

to eat: tarn khaw ทาน (ข้าว)

to eat: rub-pra-tarn รับประทาน

to eat: sa-vaai เสวย

since there are so many other able language persons in thaivisa, i shall humbly take the back seat from here, so others might express their opinions and experiences to the fullest.... and hopefully some will augment further on the proficiency levels for the benefits of those who just take up the very interesting thai language.

Edited by nakachalet

thai language expression is quite similar to english expression.

the thai words expressed here are just like the english words we use daily, which will indicate how many long years the speakers of the language have suffered through in their lives within the confinement of higher institution of learning.... lol

in order not to appear like what some might consider as--having a holier than thou attitude or having a superiority complex, i would humbly submit my lame observation on thai spoken words as they appeared on several previous pages as expressed by 'many able thai language students and teachers' from different regions, that....

1--most of the thai language you were taught is really very basic and it does not take into consideration varying social settings.

2--the thai words you were taught are generally quite useful for survival situation.

3--you really ought to trade in your "teacher" if you are taught spoken thai language in an actual classroom setting.

perhaps, we already know that thai language contains several level of proficiency, take for example;

to eat: geen khaw กิน (ข้าว)

to eat: tarn khaw ทาน (ข้าว)

to eat: rub-pra-tarn รับประทาน

to eat: sa-vaai เสวย

since there are so many other able language persons in thaivisa, i shall humbly take the back seat from here, so others might express their opinions and experiences to the fullest.... and hopefully some will augment further on the proficiency levels for the benefits of those who just take up the very interesting thai language.

Ok, so there are several different registers in Thai (levels of formality, or forms of language for particular situations). I doubt anyone will think poorly of you if you expand on your post and say how you think they relate to the question at hand. It's a worthwhile point.

When declining food from a host (especially if they are sensitive about their cooking), sometimes it's better to say you're full or that you've already eaten. If you say ไม่เอาครับ or just ไม่เป็นไรครับ, the person/cook may think you don't like their food. This has happened to me before, so I just stick to this rule.

Example:

Host: เด๊๋ยวฉันทำกับข้าวให้เอาไหม

You: อ้อ ไม่อ่ะฮะ พอดีว่าผมทานข้าวก่อนมา แต่ขอบคุณครับ รู้ว่าจะต้องอร่อยแน่

When declining food from a host (especially if they are sensitive about their cooking), sometimes it's better to say you're full or that you've already eaten. If you say ไม่เอาครับ or just ไม่เป็นไรครับ, the person/cook may think you don't like their food. This has happened to me before, so I just stick to this rule.

Example:

Host: เด๊๋ยวฉันทำกับข้าวให้เอาไหม

You: อ้อ ไม่อ่ะฮะ พอดีว่าผมทานข้าวก่อนมา แต่ขอบคุณครับ รู้ว่าจะต้องอร่อยแน่

There is an interesting culteral question here because I think that it may be more important than we think among Thais; thank goodness as foreigners we are not expected to know. I think to refer to the eatability of the food being refused might easily be taken the wrong way, even allowing us some slack. Whenever I have been offered food it was in terms like กินแล้วหรือ 'gin lew my' and the answer is easy.

It seems to me that the word เอา ow used in this context almost takes on the meaning of ต้องการ dtong gaan, so I imagine it must be mum to kid or among other intimates.

This is what I feel from my 'people watching' and it is one of the most interesting aspects of living and not unique to Thailand, so there must be widely differing views.