Is It A Good Time To Move To Thailand

lumply

With all the 'bad press' appearing in some forums is this a good time to consider a move to BKK? I've been living/working in Dubai for many years and I too could come up with some pretty scathing remarks about the place. It's almost an expats prerogative to bash their host country although to do so in the Middle East leads almost certainly to a spell in the slammer followed by deportation. Anyway, I now need a change of scenery and a lower cost base from which to work and I've made up my mind about BKK. Some reassurance would not go amiss from you more battle scarred(?) Thailand experts. Brit with Brit GF working for UK company. BKK many times on short working trips, but of course that's different to living in the place. Any advice to a Newbie? :)

With all the 'bad press' appearing in some forums is this a good time to consider a move to BKK? I've been living/working in Dubai for many years and I too could come up with some pretty scathing remarks about the place. It's almost an expats prerogative to bash their host country although to do so in the Middle East leads almost certainly to a spell in the slammer followed by deportation. Anyway, I now need a change of scenery and a lower cost base from which to work and I've made up my mind about BKK. Some reassurance would not go amiss from you more battle scarred(?) Thailand experts. Brit with Brit GF working for UK company. BKK many times on short working trips, but of course that's different to living in the place. Any advice to a Newbie? :)

Does it have to be BKK ??...if you are trying to lower your cost base then going to find BKK comperable with any "big" city" to live, if you moved out futher a field your cost base would reduce, except of course if you set up in Phuket or somewhere similar...

You have to bear in mind there are a lot of bitter individuals on this forum, so scathing remarks are expected, a lot of these people have lived their lives in their own countries, decided they have had enough of their own country, retire here, and then complain Thailand is not like home...

Someone who is used to the "expat" lifestyle and has made a go of it over the years, should not have any problems in Thailand, Bearing in mind Bangkok is not Dubai

My opinion, been here 8 years working..have things changed over the last 8 years..?? certainly, very little for the better...crime has increased, it has become more expensive, immigration requirements more restrictive, but provided you dont try and play the "old Colonial" here you should be ok, and you are generally left to your own devices..

Not trying to be nosey but if you give a few more specifics, then you might get better advice...

In summary...I have worked as an expat most of my working life, have I ever regretted moving to Thailand..No...have I had to adapt to Thailand...yes..

Edited by Soutpeel

As long you are not depending on an income in Thailand and have sufficient means, and can apply to the immigration rules, and have stability in your relationship(long lasting)Thailand is still a very good place to life, as long you spend the normal way of life as you did in your home country.

In short when you can have an retirement visa with an index guaranteed income

Otherwise you will be a member of the whining club very soon.

Does it have to be BKK ??...if you are trying to lower your cost base then going to find BKK comperable with any "big" city" to live, if you moved out futher a field your cost base would reduce, except of course if you set up in Phuket or somewhere similar...

You have to bear in mind there are a lot of bitter individuals on this forum, so scathing remarks are expected, a lot of these people have lived their lives in their own countries, decided they have had enough of their own country, retire here, and then complain Thailand is not like home...

Someone who is used to the "expat" lifestyle and has made a go of it over the years, should not have any problems in Thailand, Bearing in mind Bangkok is not Dubai

My opinion, been here 8 years working..have things changed over the last 8 years..?? certainly, very little for the better...crime has increased, it has become more expensive, immigration requirements more restrictive, but provided you dont try and play the "old Colonial" here you should be ok, and you are generally left to your own devices..

Not trying to be nosey but if you give a few more specifics, then you might get better advice...

In summary...I have worked as an expat most of my working life, have I ever regretted moving to Thailand..No...have I had to adapt to Thailand...yes..

I think you've summed it up pretty well in your last sentence. Adaptation is the key. It has to be BKK because of business contacts and having access to an International Airport as there will will be a great deal of travelling-up to 35% of my working time. I looked at Pattaya but my employers were not keen on the stigma. It's only for 3 years (famous last words I know-who knows I might stay/retire). Best to approach it with eyes wide open and not to be too proud to take advice. Thanks.

Its costly now in any major Capitol City , arriving here is ok , staying is a different matter . Ever thought of Laos ?

If you come to Thailand , kiss you GB Girlfriend goodbye now , it will save the heart ache if she comes with you .

Good luck.

Don't listen to that tripe..... If you have a normal life and a normal relationship there is absolutely no reason why Bangkok would affect your relationship. Obviously the poster has never lived in Dubai and knows nothing of what is available there. Many western couples and families live normal "expat" lives hear and would never go near anything which could cause the "issues" that I am sure mr (or mrs) holiday sun is referring to.

If you have a good income stream you can have a good lifestyle. Agree Bangkok is expensive, have you thought about Chiang Mai?

Take what you gain from this site with a pinch of salt and goodd luck to you.

Its costly now in any major Capitol City , arriving here is ok , staying is a different matter . Ever thought of Laos ?

If you come to Thailand , kiss you GB Girlfriend goodbye now , it will save the heart ache if she comes with you .

Good luck.

Don't listen to that tripe..... If you have a normal life and a normal relationship there is absolutely no reason why Bangkok would affect your relationship. Obviously the poster has never lived in Dubai and knows nothing of what is available there. Many western couples and families live normal "expat" lives hear and would never go near anything which could cause the "issues" that I am sure mr (or mrs) holiday sun is referring to.

If you have a good income stream you can have a good lifestyle. Agree Bangkok is expensive, have you thought about Chiang Mai?

Take what you gain from this site with a pinch of salt and goodd luck to you.

Bangkok expensive, its all depend in wich part of Bangkok that you life, Life here in Cheang Wattana is not more expensive than in any other medium sized town. And the rent is 50 till 70% more cheaper than the same appartment in Sukhumvit area. I pay for an 2/2 bedroom bathroom European style 13 495 Baht include water, maintanance and security. Its have great view nit any buidling in front, lake view and on Chapaya river, all major supermarkets and departments stores and other facilities nearby.

you can still eat her for 25 baht.

I think you've summed it up pretty well in your last sentence. Adaptation is the key. It has to be BKK because of business contacts and having access to an International Airport as there will will be a great deal of travelling-up to 35% of my working time. I looked at Pattaya but my employers were not keen on the stigma. It's only for 3 years (famous last words I know-who knows I might stay/retire). Best to approach it with eyes wide open and not to be too proud to take advice. Thanks.

Why Pattaya even ??, there are plenty of other places around with have just as easy access to the airport, currently a trip from "down town" BKK will take you 40 minutes to the airport on a good day...I live 120km from BKK and can make the airport in 1:30, granted once the rail link between BKK and Swampy opens (if it ever opens) the trip will be pretty quick, but still you dont have to be in central BKK.

As regards business contacts, dont know what business you are in, but if its industrial/petrochem etc....you need to be out in the Rayong area, this is the industrial (I shudder even using the word) hub of Thailand...granted head offices are in BKK, but the plants etc are all in this area...

Don't believe everything you read on forums, especially TV general topics. Thailand a great place to live.

you can still eat her for 25 baht.

Now...that is a bargain :D

Will agree on that one 100%...considering todays ecomonic climate....some pie for 25 baht.. :)

Not a piece of pie, but one plate in some food park

Stay with the plot....Henry.....We were not talking about plates of food in a food park...and the pie I was referring to isnt an apple pie.... :D

I'm leaving on Tuesday you can have my apartment. Too much air and water pollution to continue living here full time but I will come back to visit for the food and freakiness.

Hey wasabi, you should become a real estate agent with with sharp sales pitches like that :) .

I'm leaving on Tuesday you can have my apartment. Too much air and water pollution to continue living here full time but I will come back to visit for the food and freakiness.

Hey wasabi, you should become a real estate agent with with sharp sales pitches like that :) .

everyone living long enuf in thailand makes a good real estate sale agent - good and bad.. . just watch the sales pitches and balls. the latter fly in all directions.

yes . stick to basics like thais do and you will survive well. no partying, no discoing. no binges. be monastic and continuously praise the thais to heaven and you can go far. keep your cool. blah, blah, blah. join a temple and go meditate there like many farangs do. your gf in britannia? ask her to join you in the monastery for a while.

yes . stick to basics like thais do and you will survive well. no partying, no discoing. no binges. be monastic and continuously praise the thais to heaven and you can go far. keep your cool. blah, blah, blah. join a temple and go meditate there like many farangs do. your gf in britannia? ask her to join you in the monastery for a while.

Jai Yen Yen dude!

I've been working in BKK with great people, same interests..... but if I were to go back in time, I wouldnt have set base here rather a nice central american country (CR) or if you like the SEA countries, PI or Indonesia. Thailand is overrated imo.. some say it's life or a way of life but to me it's a difficult place. With all I have invested I should tell myself OOOOF but everyone has a different experience/ thought/ opinion/ blah blah. All I can say is, Don't let the smile fool you. -2 cents

Definately yes...IF you are capable of accepting the plethera of things that would make you foam at the mouth in your native country. If not....no. It's pretty crazy here on a day to day basis.

Bangkok SUCKS! IMHO. Just my opinion as I grew up in the countryside and now live in the countryside in Thailand. 1 hour of Bangkok's fine air and I'm coughing, choking and spitting out.... well, maybe too much info if I continue with that!

If you can afford to stay here for a year, renting somewhere, without giving up too much, I would suggest that.

Good luck.

Come here. Thailand is perfect, if you can let yourself flow into her.

Agreed 100%. My experience was akin to tumbling down a very steep, rock strewn slope into her for the first couple of years :) but listened to positive advice only and remain happy after 7 years. I am certainly more relaxed than I ever was in the UK.

yeah, its a great place to live alright. me and the boys with loud techno music and 12 changs a day, im loving the vibe, sometimes i stay awake for a few nights and inhale the fumes of toxic bangcock. its just so super, come come, you will love x

Dubai to Bkk - cost wise yes, but that would be the only advantage I could see.

Even then I'm not sure - you certainly don't want to be buying property, a car or any other large capaital outlay at the moment - the Thai Baht is as strong as it has been for over 10years. Theres a very good chance that by this time next year we will have seen a rather large depreciation - as much as 30% some think.