Nan: First Visa “non-o” Marriage Extension

I am 58 and live in Phitsanulok. I have been in Thailand on a special U.S. State Department passport and "F" visa (government work) for a little over two years. I was in the U.S. Peace Corps and came to serve the people of Thailand as a volunteer. I married a Thai woman during that period. She is a 48-year-old high school English teacher. The Peace Corps engagement ended and I left Thailand in April of this year.

While in the States for one month, I obtained a one year, multiple entry "O" visa from the Thai consulate in LA states and re-entered Thailand in May, intending to stay permanently. For months, I have researched, talked to people and studied this forum so that when the time came, I could go in and apply for my one-year marriage extension with everything going flawlessly; I wanted no problems. I even had my wife send an e-mail request to the Nan Immigration office asking what they would require so as to avoid any local surprises. We received the following response (I cannot read Thai):

post-74366-1248864556_thumb.jpg

I brought the following documents with me (originals and copies – both color and black & white, both in duplicate):

● TM 7 (in both English and Thai) – THEY WANTED THE ENGLISH ONE ONLY

● TM 47 (Notification of Staying Longer Than 90 Days -- in English) –– DID NOT WANT IT

● Passport (current), "O" visa, all stamped pages and re-entry card – WANTED IT

● Passport (former Peace Corps passport), "F" visa, all stamped pages, Peace Corps and Thai government ID cards – offered to show how I could have been in the country when I was married – WANTED IT

● Thai Drivers Licenses (car & motorcycle) – WANTED THEM

● Blood Donation ID card (offered to show I was a good citizen) – DID NOT WANT IT

● Thai wife's Passport and National ID card – WANTED IT

● Marriage license application (request in e-mail – never heard of this being requested, but they did ask for it) – WANTED IT

● Marriage certificate – WANTED IT

● Wedding photos showing me, my wife and her mother and father – DID NOT WANT THEM

● Thai wife's house book – WANTED IT

● House photos showing our house, the address, me, my wife, her mother and father – DID NOT WANT THEM

● Detailed maps in Thai and English showing the location of our house – DID NOT WANT THEM

● Bank letters and bank books showing over 500,000 baht for more than two months – WANTED THEM

● Medical certificate – DID NOT WANT IT

● Letter of Recommendation from principal (Pa-ah) of wife's school where I teach English as a volunteer – DID NOT WANT IT

● Letter of Recommendation from Chief Administrative Officer (Balat) of Tumbon – DID NOT WANT IT

● Letter of Recommendation from Vice Mayor (Rong Nyoke) of Tumbon – DID NOT WANT IT

● 1,900 baht fee – WANTED IT

Incidentally, knowing how Thais feel about proper dress and the show of respect, I wore a business suit and tie (And for you observant ones out there, I already realize, with hindsight, that maybe the suit was overkill; that perhaps it screamed, "I have money, PLEASE make me bend over your table so you can have your way with me!").

We arrived at the immigration office in Nan at about 8:25 a.m. on a Monday morning. We were first in line and took the number "1" plastic queue card. The Police officer that helped us started with the TM 7. When he realized I had everything, he had us come to his desk in the well-lit front office. He proceeded to ask many routine type questions and examined the documents. There were no tricky interview questions such as, "What is your brother-in-law's wife's name?" My wife and I were together at all times, with most questions directed at her. He printed out and had us sign a sworn biographical statement (in Thai), which my wife explained to me. At the end of the process, he collected our 1,900 baht and gave us an official receipt for the payment. I asked for and received copies of everything. This clearly made my wife uncomfortable, as it seemed to be an irregularity. It was all relatively painless, and I was happy and relaxed. A sign on the wall proudly proclaimed that the whole process would take 35 minutes.

About two hours later, we seemed to be finished. The cop then directed us to the back where he said the "big boss," who was in charge of investigating, would interview us. We were directed to a small, rear, poorly lit corner office. It had the only air conditioning that seemed to be in use in the building and was quite comfortable. The Big Cheese was also in the uniform of the Royal Thai Police, but decidedly more relaxed looking. He explained that everything was routine and I would come back in one month for my one-year stamp. He then explained that there would be an investigation to check to see that my wife and I were really living together where we said we were. He said that there were some gangs faking marriages to get visas. He politely explained that there would be an additional 3,000-baht fee to pay for the investigation because Phitsanulok was so far from Nan. The money, he said, would be used to cover the investigator's fuel, food and lodging expenses.

I was not happy with this news. How could there be such a fee when it had never been mentioned anywhere on the ThaiVisa forum, on Thai government websites, nor even in the e-mail from the Nan Immigration office? I pulled out the money and set it on the corner of his desk. I asked for a receipt. My wife, clearly agitated started kicking me under the table. He explained that there could be no receipt, because the investigator had not yet purchased the fuel, food and lodging. I picked up the 3,000 baht, folded it in half and tucked it into my shirt pocket. My wife's kicking became more insistent. I told him matter of factly, that I needed a receipt with his signature and a government stamp or there would be no additional 3,000-baht payment. He sent us back out to the anteroom to wait. I could see him on the other side of the glass huddled with the first guy trying to figure out how to handle this.

After ten minutes, I went out and got my notebook computer from the truck, signed on to the Internet using my cell phone and went to the Thai Immigration website where I found various telephone numbers. I started calling. The first guy said there was a 1,900-baht fee, but he never heard of any 3,000-baht fee. About this time, the Big Cheese comes out with a receipt he had typed on plain paper (in Thai). It was signed and stamped. I told him I had called Bangkok and they had never heard of such a thing. I told him the fee was never mentioned on government websites, nor was it mentioned in his own office's e-mail, which I pulled out and showed him. I told him I was not going to pay the fee. He took the receipt back and went back to his office. We made more phone calls and one was transferred up to a higher BKK office, another Big, Big Cheese we were told. He said he would call both the Big Cheese in the Chiang Mai office and the Big Cheese in the office we were in to find out what was going on. We continued to wait. Other applicants had come and gone.

At about 11:30 a.m., I walked back to the Big Cheese's office but was stopped by an office worker. I told her to ask him if we were riap roi. She stuck her head in and said something, then directed us back to the first guy in the front office. I asked if we were riap roi, he said we were, I thanked him, said we would see him in 30 days and we left.

Now I came to this country to volunteer my services. I even gave blood. I've studied the culture and tried to learn the language. I do not have any illusions about all the corruption in this country, but thought if I did everything perfectly, was well prepared, and even dressed well, I could get a smooth deal. I am already somewhat of a cynic, so this incident surely did me no good. I figure people that allow or facilitate corruption are in some ways as bad as those that perpetuate it, so I can pretend to be standing on principle. However, I am not perfect. Had it only been 500 baht, I probably would have paid it just to be done, but his greed pissed me off. With hindsight, had I just smiled, said we would not have enough money to get home and could I just pay 500 baht, he probably would have taken it. As it is, they lost face and I have to go back in 30 days. I do not need a crystal ball to know that when I go back, they will politely tell me the investigation is not complete and I will have to come again in 30 days. If I drive, the 3,000 baht will be gone on fuel, so maybe I will take the bus.

I know one guy that refused to pay 500 baht in Chiang Mai a couple years ago and he had to come back two more times (four trips in all). I know anther guy that had to go back seven times! It is a form of punishment. What are you going to do?

I am thinking about making complaints to the Royal Thai Police Counter Corruption Bureau and to the National Anti-Corruption Commission. Friends tell me I am pissing into the wind, and I could end up out of the country, or worse yet, I could have a kilo of heroin stuffed up under my truck at one checkpoint and get busted at the next.

Any advice other than the usual (suck it up and pay the bastards)? Was I wrong (not in the moral sense but in the common sense)? My nature is to take them to the mat, but after long years in the school of hard knocks, I have also learned that it pays to choose you battles.

Should I:

● Pay nothing and do nothing except just keep going back until I get the visa?

● File complaints with the agencies mentioned above?

● Go back in 30 days apologize for being insensitive, present my backside for penetration and offer to pay?

● Something else?

Anybody else experiencing this? If so, how much did the bastards demand?

Oh, and the good news? Before the sh!t hit the fan, they told me an immigration office would open in Phitsanulok next year to service Phitsanulok, Petchabun and Pichit.

Edited by TongueThaied

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you about the amount of the creative fee. If it was less, most would probably just pay. 3K seems a little steep. I think you did well asking for a receipt and sticking to your guns.

You mentioned you are (or was that were?) volunteer teaching. They didn't ask to see a work permit?

If you continue to work, free or not, you might want to get legal so they don't charge you with working illegally.

If you are, and they realize it, expect to see big smiles on their faces on your next visit. In that case, pack a toothbrush.

Good luck with this and let us know what happens on your next visit.

^ I am sure the special 'F' visa permitted unpaid volunteer work; moot point as the OP is now on an 'O' visa which covers the following.

Category “O” (other) – this category entitles a person:

a ) to an extended stay for tourism purposes

b ) to visit Thai spouse/family

c) to visit non Thai family/friends living in Thailand

d ) to participate in unpaid volunteer work in Thailand

e ) to seek employment in Thailand

f ) to visit as a UK pensioner

The OP did say volunteer teaching so safe to assume he is unpaid.

^ I am sure the special 'F' visa permitted unpaid volunteer work; moot point as the OP is now on an 'O' visa which covers the following.

Category "O" (other) – this category entitles a person:

That is irrelevant. The visa allows you to come to Thailand, nothing more. Only a work permit allows you to work, even for volunteer work you need a work permit.

I have just returned home from the Samui office, with my shiny new stamp giving me permission to stay until 29 July 2010. Sad to say I just bent over and took it, if you get my meaning, but I just could not be bothered taking them on. It made me feel dirty!

I don't know how these guys can be so brazen - we weren't called into another office at all; rather we were informed of the total price and no receipt was offered. Not a blink or uncomfortable moment; everyone knew exactly what was going on. :)

So, while I hope you don't pick up any retribution for this - I suspect there will not be another word and your stamp will be given. There are plenty more fish in the sea so not much point chasing the one that got away :D

PS: My wife was working for the government when I met her, so she was not surprised by this - one of the many reasons she doesn't work for them anymore.

I advise always to file a complaint with your embassy. The embassy won't do much with an indivisual complaint, but if they recieve many complaints they might raise the issue in their meetings with other embassies and file a joint complaint about the practise.

Well I think you're a <deleted>, because whether u realised it or not you made your wife (who is obviously a nice middle class Thai lady) lose a lot of face before officials. Whether the amount was over the top or not you have seriously put yourself in her bad books.

Instead of your obvious beligerence towards the 'head cheese' as you put it, why didn't u try to nicely adjust the price to something more reasonable and just pay it nicely. I also disagree with some of the earlier posts and I believe you'll have problems in the future as your rudeness will be remembered (and before you ask - no I don't condone corruption but if you are staying in Thailand then you must go along (to certain point) with it's ways).

As you are working without a work permit (and yes volunteering to be a teacher is still work) then I'd watch my back. Why piss off immigration officials is beyond me., and also the predicament you put your wife in..

The OP was 100% correct. Why give in to ripp offs and corruption?

I most definitely disagree with the above poster who called the OP a <deleted>...

I am not sure if there will be any retribution, but if every single applicant who was asked to pay a bribe did exactly as you did and reported it, it wouldn't be to much longer before before the corruption stopped at those offices.

They may be able to ignore one or two complaints, but if hundreds of complaints a day started coming in and "the big cheeses" needed to spend two or three hours with every applicant to only walk away empty handed it would stop...

You are part of the solution, not the problem...

Edited by CWMcMurray

I most definitely disagree with the above poster who called the OP a <deleted>...

I am not sure if there will be any retribution, but if every single applicant who was asked to pay a bribe did exactly as you did and reported it, it wouldn't be to much longer before before the corruption stopped at those offices.

They may be able to ignore one or two complaints, but if hundreds of complaints a day started coming in and "the big cheeses" needed to spend two or three hours with every applicant to only walk away empty handed it would stop...

You are part of the solution, not the problem...

:):D:D Well said!

I would say logically the OP did the right thing; if everyone shuts up the problem will just carry on or even get worse.

However, I decided the 'fee' would be acceptable if it were official (I would gladly pay this for a one year extension) so I went with the flow... :)

The OP is now paying with peace of mind as he worries that he stands to ultimately pay an even bigger price if the exactor takes revenge. That is not a good result either... :D

If this happened in my country of origin I am not sure what I would do, perhaps being a citizen means you understand the subculture and realise that perhaps its safer or easier to just go along.

No matter how much it sticks in your throat there is nothing to be gained as an individual by taking them on. What is needed is collective action but as a foreigner in any country this is highly unlikely.

Something fishy here perhaps!!, the OP should read the Central Forum and the posts - " Nan Immigration for Petchabun residents" particularly the one from Aitch52, a good friend of mine who has just changed from Retirement to Marriage extension.

I was at Nan in May for retirement extension and just paid the required 1900 Baht plus 1000 Baht for a single re-entry permit, no problems and despite the longer journey so much less hassle than the dreaded Room 101 at Suan Plu.

I thought the staff at Nan very helpful and upstairs from the air conditioned office I had a good talk about golf with the Big Boss!, I just spotted the photo's of golf on his wall behind his desk, he told me about a 9 hole course in Nan and bring the bats next year!. :)

Edited by phutoie2

Really well done to the OP! so if anyone was still having a doubt about Thailand being a third world country still denying the basic human right for a family to live togheter (unless money are paid to the corrupted Gov's of the moment), well, maybe you are right, this place do not deserve to be addressed as a third world country, by meaning that probably it belongs to the 4th of perhaps 5th world, it's still a long way to go!....

Category "O" (other) – this category entitles a person:

That is irrelevant. The visa allows you to come to Thailand, nothing more. Only a work permit allows you to work, even for volunteer work you need a work permit.

I just copy/pasted word-for-word from the visa advice published by the Royal Thai Consulate, Hull.

Neither their statement or anything I added indicates that the OP does/did not need a WP. We ALL know that technically foreigners need one of them to breathe here!

The published statement indicates that I my assertion that the OP had/did have the correct visa still stands.

Maybe d ) should read "to ENABLE participation in unpaid volunteer work in Thailand."

NB. The OP isn't about WP's anyway, it's about visas and petty corruption!

Hull is a private web site operated by an Honorary Consulate. It is very helpful but it is not official.

Volunteer work is a valid reason to issue the visa so that information is correct.

But, as with any visa, you need a work permit if you are working in Thailand - the non immigrant O visa would allow a work permit to be issued if for other than retirement stay.

Edited by lopburi3

It is not unknown for the police to visit your "address" to check round if you are actually married. Maybe you could have called his bluff by negotiating a reduced price with an offer for the police to stay with you o/night. :)

The OP was 100% correct. Why give in to ripp offs and corruption?

Exactly. If folks think "losing face" is an strictly an Asian concept then my western concept of "losing face" is going round with an invisible "I AM A MUG" printed on my forehead.

One of the Khon Kaen "old hands" was trying to give me his worldly advice about dealing with the BIB when stopped in a car (I didn't feel it necessary to inform him that I'd been in KK about 3 years longer than him).

"Always hand them 200 baht with your driving license."

Fool.

I've been stopped numerous times and there's never been a hint of them wanting a payoff. A friend of my wife who's a police officer said unless a foreigner is doing something really dumb (like one pissed up expat offering a group of cops out near the Pullman hotel which I witnessed a while back) then the police will invariably wave them on.

My wife said a foreigner is more likely to stand his ground if he's in the right and the cops don't want the hassle. A point her friend agreed with.

Something fishy here perhaps!!, the OP should read the Central Forum and the posts - " Nan Immigration for Petchabun residents" particularly the one from Aitch52, a good friend of mine who has just changed from Retirement to Marriage extension.

I was at Nan in May for retirement extension and just paid the required 1900 Baht plus 1000 Baht for a single re-entry permit, no problems and despite the longer journey so much less hassle than the dreaded Room 101 at Suan Plu.

I thought the staff at Nan very helpful and upstairs from the air conditioned office I had a good talk about golf with the Big Boss!, I just spotted the photo's of golf on his wall behind his desk, he told me about a 9 hole course in Nan and bring the bats next year!. :)

Nan seems to target 1st time extensions based on marriage to a Thai only. Their excuse is that he need to visit the applicants home for that extension.

I agree with you about the amount of the creative fee. If it was less, most would probably just pay. 3K seems a little steep. I think you did well asking for a receipt and sticking to your guns.

You mentioned you are (or was that were?) volunteer teaching. They didn't ask to see a work permit?

If you continue to work, free or not, you might want to get legal so they don't charge you with working illegally.

If you are, and they realize it, expect to see big smiles on their faces on your next visit. In that case, pack a toothbrush.

Good luck with this and let us know what happens on your next visit.

Now wait a minute. My wife (Thai) teaches English at the local high school and has for 25 years. Are you saying that if I come into my wife's classroom at the invitation of my wife and the school principal to demonstrate western word pronunciations (an "l" sound is an "l' sound, not an "n" sound) as a volunteer two days a week with no compensation of any kind (not even free lunch), I need a work permit? Are you sure?

Well I think you're a <deleted>, because whether u realised it or not you made your wife (who is obviously a nice middle class Thai lady) lose a lot of face before officials. Whether the amount was over the top or not you have seriously put yourself in her bad books.

Instead of your obvious beligerence towards the 'head cheese' as you put it, why didn't u try to nicely adjust the price to something more reasonable and just pay it nicely. I also disagree with some of the earlier posts and I believe you'll have problems in the future as your rudeness will be remembered (and before you ask - no I don't condone corruption but if you are staying in Thailand then you must go along (to certain point) with it's ways).

As you are working without a work permit (and yes volunteering to be a teacher is still work) then I'd watch my back. Why piss off immigration officials is beyond me., and also the predicament you put your wife in..

The OP is not a <deleted> but somebody standing up against corruption.

It is sad that his wife did not back him up but I guess that is an indictment of Thai society that they are willing to go along.

My own wife would also have refused to pay the tea money, would have complained higher up and would not have let it rest.

If everyone did this then the problem would not be so ingrained.

By the way, it is not rudeness to refuse to pay a bribe and bow to corruption, it's called integrity and honesty.

as a volunteer two days a week with no compensation of any kind (not even free lunch), I need a work permit? Are you sure?
Yes. Although it is not likely to become an issue you could be seen as taking potential work from someone. It is like many Thai laws - very broadly defined and subject to interpretation. In almost all cases such an example would not be a problem. But there could be an exception at any time. It is a risk you have to weight. Edited by lopburi3

Now wait a minute. My wife (Thai) teaches English at the local high school and has for 25 years. Are you saying that if I come into my wife's classroom at the invitation of my wife and the school principal to demonstrate western word pronunciations (an "l" sound is an "l' sound, not an "n" sound) as a volunteer two days a week with no compensation of any kind (not even free lunch), I need a work permit? Are you sure?
The official definition of work is "to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits"

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/countries/thailand/employ.asp

Unfortunately that's the way it is. In your situation it's most likely there would be no consequences but, TIT.

Edited by mca

Yes. Legally you need a Work Permit. As Lopburi said you may well get away with it, but it would be working illegally.

I have just returned home from the Samui office, with my shiny new stamp giving me permission to stay until 29 July 2010. Sad to say I just bent over and took it, if you get my meaning, but I just could not be bothered taking them on. It made me feel dirty!

I don't know how these guys can be so brazen - we weren't called into another office at all; rather we were informed of the total price and no receipt was offered. Not a blink or uncomfortable moment; everyone knew exactly what was going on. :)

So, while I hope you don't pick up any retribution for this - I suspect there will not be another word and your stamp will be given. There are plenty more fish in the sea so not much point chasing the one that got away :D

PS: My wife was working for the government when I met her, so she was not surprised by this - one of the many reasons she doesn't work for them anymore.

"I don't know how these guys can be so brazen"? It seems everybody just pays them; that's why. Easy money for the asking. My wife said she was embarassed for her country -- for the people that had so little pride that they would act criminally in their jobs representing Thailand. She said she, personally, only lost face by virtue of having to witness the corruption of her countrymen. While her initial reaction was indeed to kick me under the table (because she was worried for me), she was very happy with the outcome. I was not at any time "belligerant" as one "<deleted>" in this thread put it. I was extremely polite and kept a smile on my face through the whole process. I think many Farangs confuse Thai's "losing face" with garden variety embarrassment. The officials in that office lost face; my wife was embarassed (and a little afraid). They are not the same.

I have noticed slight changes in my wife's behavior over the last few years. She has seen me stand up against wrong and prevail several times and now she has begun doing it. Every time she stands up, she prevails, and each time she feels bolder. She is always extremely polite. If each one of us can share this trait with only one Thai, the country will change. Why do so many people just bend over? Not to start a fight here, but my American friends here tend to be willing to fight wrong, even at personal risk. Is this an American trait? Although I am compelled to add, I have never seen an Aussie or Irishman roll over for anyone.

I would say logically the OP did the right thing; if everyone shuts up the problem will just carry on or even get worse.

However, I decided the 'fee' would be acceptable if it were official (I would gladly pay this for a one year extension) so I went with the flow... :)

The OP is now paying with peace of mind as he worries that he stands to ultimately pay an even bigger price if the exactor takes revenge. That is not a good result either... :D

If this happened in my country of origin I am not sure what I would do, perhaps being a citizen means you understand the subculture and realise that perhaps its safer or easier to just go along.

No matter how much it sticks in your throat there is nothing to be gained as an individual by taking them on. What is needed is collective action but as a foreigner in any country this is highly unlikely.

I can tell you exactly what would have happened, had this happened to me in my country. I would have had the official's head on a pike. I cannot say there is no corruption in the U.S.; there is corruption anywhere there are people. But if a government official was so brazen with me in the States, I'd have had him out of a job and behind bars.

I can tell you exactly what would have happened, had this happened to me in my country. I would have had the official's head on a pike. I cannot say there is no corruption in the U.S.; there is corruption anywhere there are people. But if a government official was so brazen with me in the States, I'd have had him out of a job and behind bars.

To the OP: I understand your total frustration with this corrupt system, but TIT. And they have the power to mess all of us up big time.

I admire your courage, but I would have:

1) gotten totally furious (trying not so show it)

2) paid the extortion without requesting a fee

But, I would also write as many articles as I could get posted in the Bangkok Post and Nation.........and any other places, explaining what happened.

It will shame them if you go public (but do it anonymously of course so they can't identify you).

IMHO, it will do not good to complain to your embassy.

It is likely that the more the economy declines, and the more they continue with the stupid beyond imagination social engineering program that is costing them money, the more this sort of thing will increase.

The official definition of work is "to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits"

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/countries/thailand/employ.asp

Unfortunately that's the way it is. In your situation it's most likely there would be no consequences but, TIT.

With that definition, I'm going to apply right away. I just broke the law when i took a dump this morning. I'm pretty regular, but I did have to squat, use knowledge of how to wash with water, then stand.

Seriously, though, thanks for all the advice; I had no idea that standing in a classroom with a Thai teacher required a work permit. I have strived to be a model citizen here. I want to stay and don't want to piss in the pool. With the language barrier, it is often difficult to find many answers to a multitude of questions that are not polite to ask.