Walking Pneumonia

sunnymarky

I have had a bad cough here in Thailand for 2 weeks, so decided to go to a hospital (Im about 100Km north of BKK) After some wheezing on my chest the doctor asked for an X-ray and said it was a form of pneumonia, commonly known as walking pneumonia. I was quite shocked, I dont feel real bad, a little tired. Doctor suggested I could stay in hospital but I think that was unnecessary .I was prescribed an anti biotic, Avelox is the commercial name.not mush improvement in 2 days , seems I have still have fluid in lungs , Anyone used Avelox and can give their experience.?

Also I am sure I get this from switching from Air con to non aircon (extreme heat to cold ) and vice versa particularly when I sweat alot.

Avelox is a heavy-duty synthetic antibiotic. For pneumonia, the length of treatment varies from 7 to 14 days, so it's doubtful you'd see much difference in only 2 days. It's very important that you continue taking it until the prescription is finished. There are a lot of cautions, including taking antacids, multi-vitamins with zinc, and so forth. Also, it's important if you're older to note that a side effect is tendonitis. Suggest you look at www.rxlist.com for more info.

As far as walking pneumonia goes, I've had it several times as a young adult. Back then the drill was penicillin, bed rest (but sitting up), breathing exercises including deliberate coughing to try to loosen the junk in the lungs, but that was some 35 years ago. And I do remember having to limit liquids. Things might very well have changed. I do remember feeling a bit worn out, but able to function. Lethargy was a constant for about a month until the infection broke. After that, though, it's easy to forget you ever had it.

Hope you have a quick and complete recovery.

Avelox is a heavy-duty synthetic antibiotic. For pneumonia, the length of treatment varies from 7 to 14 days, so it's doubtful you'd see much difference in only 2 days. It's very important that you continue taking it until the prescription is finished. There are a lot of cautions, including taking antacids, multi-vitamins with zinc, and so forth. Also, it's important if you're older to note that a side effect is tendonitis. Suggest you look at www.rxlist.com for more info.

As far as walking pneumonia goes, I've had it several times as a young adult. Back then the drill was penicillin, bed rest (but sitting up), breathing exercises including deliberate coughing to try to loosen the junk in the lungs, but that was some 35 years ago. And I do remember having to limit liquids. Things might very well have changed. I do remember feeling a bit worn out, but able to function. Lethargy was a constant for about a month until the infection broke. After that, though, it's easy to forget you ever had it.

Hope you have a quick and complete recovery.

Ok thanks. Only side effect up to now is some diarrohea which is usual with antibiotics I guess. I have read about many other side effect people get. I only got a 7 day course and then going back to have another x-ray. Do I have to be concerned about tendonitis? male 48 yrs

Edited by sunnymarky

I don't know - they stated older people, 60+. But I'd wait a bit on the tennis and water-skiing until talking with your doc. Sounds like you've got a good doc - do a 7-day course of treatment, check on its effects, and then if necessary prescribe another 7 days. Conservative treatment like that can save you a world of hurt later.

Oh, try some yogurt with acedophilus (sp?). It can help quiet that lower intestinal problem by restoring the good natural bacteria that the antibiotic kills - the antibiotic can't distinguish between good and bad bacteria.

Avelox is a fast acting antibiotic, after 4 days you will be feel better.I have also had it and really it works better than any other antibiotic.

There is no antribiotic that always works better. Every antibiotic has specific bacteria it is active against (and bacteria can develop resistance to specific antibitoics even if normally snesitive to them).

The choice of antibiotic depends upon the exact bacteria responsible. And antibiotics will nto work against viruses.

Ideally, a sputum culture and sensitivity would be done to identify exactly what bug is causing the infection and which drugs it woudl be sensitive to. Since it takes at 48-72 hours to get such results, it is reasonable to start the patient on a drug that is known to be effective against a wide range of common bacterial causes pending the test re4sults.

In Thailand, it is common practice, although not "by the book" correct, to skip the culture altogther and just prescribe something known to be effective against a wide range of common causes. If your doctor did not have you provide sputum in a sterile cup then that is what he did.

And if he did not do a blood count, cannot even be sure the cause was bacterial as opposed to viral.

By now you have been on the antibiotic for 3 full days. If you are starting to feel better, stay on it for a full course. If you are not, either return to same doc or consult another one (preferrably at ahospital where culture facilities will be available). Insist on a blood count if one not already done (to avoid wasting time and money on antibior\tics for what may be a viral condition) and, if it has been done/shows bacterial infection, insist on a sputum culture. They may want to switch antibiotics pending the results, that's OK, but do get a culture and sensitivity so you know what you are deling with.