Bangkok Jaywalkers Subject Of Police Blitz

george

471 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought they were also supposed to be targetting motorists who fail to stop for pedestrians on a Marked Crossing - what happened to that one?
Due to come into force August 1st (coincidence datewise with current topic?). If it's not followed up in the press write letters.
If they do pull you perhaps do the same as what I used to do when driving my car on the express way and would get pulled. When they ask for the "fine" say, ok, let's go to the station and I'll pay there which often in my experience results in the issue dissolving into the background pollution...
I wouldn't bank on it.
I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

Use the jellyfish approach and go across in a mass. Stare at oncoming drivers and put your hand out "Halt!" (I've watched Thais do this.) How many Thais do you see smoking in the street? Can't you wait? When in Rome...

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe some of the proceeds from theses 'jaywalking' fines could be used to help those in the unfortunate position of having to navigate Bangkok in a wheelchair. Bangkok is the most handicap unfriendly city I have ever visited.

Wow, almost 2 pages of how the Thai government is introducing laws to target farang and boister the pay checks of the Police. Wah wah, the crossing are blocked, they don't work, the cars don't stop wah wah, Thailand will grind to a halt cos of the jaywalking laws. Wah wah, they will target me joe farang cos I am richer.

Geez guys, were arll of the countries you come from designed perfectly? Thailand is a developing country. You know 'developing?' Like when you guys were younger, you should have developed a set of b@lls.

How hard is it to use a bridge? Maybe you richer legs don't work so well! At Zebra crossings just go with the tide (Thais).

Is this whinge Saturday? Oh yeah it was Friday yesterday so I guess a few pops were downed and now blurry eyes are reading how the evil thiai government is inverting new ways to target joe farang to remove his hard earned cash.

if you want to see all the western law enforcement you love to compare, then don't pay bribes. if you break the law, tough it out and show those evil thai people your farang money is clean and beside you have loads of it. Jonny farang will not bend to the evil asian ways. Otherwise <deleted>, or save the diatribes for the bar, beach, golf course, bird (s) or whereever you offload your mouth trash

Was i ranting. mmmmm maybe. before the thais used to make me mad, now it's thaivisa

Disclaimer, the author will deny ever saying any of this if challenged. The author reserves the rights to be a total tw@t, opinionated, and will at times resort to double standards. Anyone who receives this message, can use it as their own work. All above information has a lifespan, equating to, but not exceeding the lifespan of the authors own delusion of grandour, self rightiousness and self importance belief. Any Religious content is the sole property of the author due to the self god belief currently in play. Some religious content may be bestow, granted and blessed to readers at the express request, thru pray to the author.

I don't like throwing litter on the street but finding a trashcan is "litterally" impossible. You can walk for miles without finding one. Same thing goes for pedestrian crossing.

so true, This is the reason I have stopped buying coconuts. Walking a kilometer with a coconut shell in your hand feels weird and seems to attract even more Indian tailors

Whats the difference if you use a "crossing" or not? doesn't make any difference to the drivers, even crossing at the lights is dodgy they still flying at you 5 secs after they supposed to give way. Crossing at soi 4 and SUK is a good example. Bridges are safe as the motorbikes haven't figured how to ride up the stairs yet

Yep ! but some of those stairs are "monsters". They should have oxygen bottles at the top or better still ELEVATORS. It gets rather hard when you get to 60.

With so many people (especially)Farangs,Littering around, inside Internet,there should be 10.000 bath fines and even Jail 4 a month or so. :D . :)

Wow! let me see....they're are over 62million Thais in this country and I would guess not one of them know how to chew with they're mouth closed or throw trash in its proper place unless you consider the lakes rivers, streams streets front yard back yard a waste basket. Just take a look at the beaches that the thais hang out at..it's like they think someone will misteriously go behind them and pick up they're crap. I have a major problem with all the trash and glass bottles in the water on the beach everywhere while me and my son go on the weekends to pick up the trash the Thais just stand there and laugh at us. Surprising that the fisherman are extremly bad. You would think they would be totally up set but they are part of the problem. They dump bottles of oil gas and chemicals in the waters :D This is one one of several things THais don't get, infact go look at any condo or new house that has an open field next to it and the thais will throw they're trash off the back porch not once or twice but everytime they have a full trash can even though the pile starts to get as high as the wall they JUST DON"T CARE and yes I know it's they're countryand I am not complianing about itjust pointing out a fact. What your trying to say is that the farangs are dirty..may be you should look to see if there is a trash can at that internet store....most likely not, because this is not something Thais typically offer in addition too never having soap at the schools for the children to wash there hands. :D again It your country not mine so do with it as you please

wait..wait...wait.....we can't stop with just the gum chewing and trash throwing. My personal favorite is watching them access their brains through their nose with their finger. How many times have you seen a non-AC bus going by and at least three thai have their finger buried to the second knuckle digging for gold? :D

Maybe if money were not the motive and they educated Thai drivers to give way to pedestrians who do walk in crossings, there would be rhyme to this reasoning. Otherwise it is totally laughable. As to scamming funds for dropping cigarettes - why is it ok to throw bags fo rubbish into vacant allotments and nothing happens or into the klongs? Get real. :)

And try asking for a receipt for your funds taken - yeah right!

Get ticket, then pay. Until then you don't need to ask.

Once you've paid that's it. Obviously can't ask then

I think it is more dangerous in Thailand to use a crossing to cross the Road, the traffic does not stop unless you walk and keep going, so they literally have do break hard. I recently returned from a Trip to Singapore, the Crossroads crossings were excellent and everyone used them because they were very safe, a lot safer than Thailand's.

As for the Cigarette butts, where really are we supposed to put them? are we supposed to put them in our pocket until we see a bin or ash tray? I am scared of even putting one in the gutter now. I always give mine to my Thai partner as i doubt they are out to fine him.

Are Cigarette butts allowed to be thrown into the gutter? does anyone know?

Nope! Not allowed.........Nor down a drain grill or a hole in the pavement.

Go figure. :)

In order to get their priorities right, they should start arresting their "own" first for demanding bribes. When Thaksin still was in charge of a certain TV station we had daily shows where policemen were caught red handed taking bribes. Now all tv stations are safely in the hands of the royalists and the army even CNN kisses the bud of these stations by not reporting on certain cases which are too "sensitive". So it is just another way to make money, my advice, put them all on candid camera!

Are you saying that when Thaksin was around, that the police were less corrupt?

My thoughts exactly.

And I am tired of Farang always thinking that they are the only ones having to deal with corrupt police and suggesting that they always get ripped off whenever they want to buy something.

You're just not shopping in the right areas. Tourists are an easy target everywhere they go, not just Thailand but even in Europe and the States. It is nothing new. The Thais in general have not much good to say about their own police force, but they live with it.

This jaywalking thing,...in short, "it is the law". They are enforcing the law which is what they are supposed to do in the first place. Mind you, there are quite a few spots in the silom area where they have walking bridges and regular pedestrian crossovers right underneath. It be pretty difficult to jay walk there I think.

And bikes ignoring red lights. do they fine them, sparkler

no-one suggested they were targeting only farang.

well.... it's only apply throughout BKK..... is't???? is't this new enforcement apply for the whole city of Thailand.... i think it's not...

then how about the period of the new rules come.... did it notice earlier to the public.....

i think it's much like "fast income" for government to collect money as soon as they can from their own citizens or farangs..... i think this is a main motives behind this new rules come...

neither cleanliness nor public safety.....

if Thai government wanna learn about cleanliness and safety better find Singapore..... a good country, hygiene and safety is almost the best quality.....

Yes, Singapore certainly is a beautiful and clean and lawful city, but would you believe me if i told you that when i was there back in the 50's it was very much like Bangkok is today!

Thailand desperately needs a strong leader for the good of all, not just the rich.

I say, bring back Thaksin, put up with his bad points and you will see how life will improve for everybody in a few years. At the present time there is no Thai other than him who can do it.

Singapore found Lee Kwan Yew, many also hated him in the beginning.

Singapore found Lee Kwan Yew.

Of course I jay-walk in Thailand. How else are you supposed to cross a road without doing so? Traffic lights are only a general suggestion to most Thai drivers. Cross walks are seldom if ever paid any attention to by Thai drivers. The quick and agile pedestrians survive and the slow and stumbly pedestrians go to the hospital if they live.

You've hit the nail on the head.

Grandma, Grandpa, and Crooked Leg Joe shouldn't leave the house without a few extra baht unless they plan to walk half a klick to the nearest 2-3 stories of pedestrian bridge steps with the frayed power cables dangling at arm level and banging against the handrail.

TIT!

Enforcement will last a few weeks, then it'll be back to the status quo. Enforcement requires police work...and we all know very well how the Thai police "work".

Edited by SNGLIFE

well.... it's only apply throughout BKK..... is't???? is't this new enforcement apply for the whole city of Thailand.... i think it's not...

then how about the period of the new rules come.... did it notice earlier to the public.....

i think it's much like "fast income" for government to collect money as soon as they can from their own citizens or farangs..... i think this is a main motives behind this new rules come...

neither cleanliness nor public safety.....

if Thai government wanna learn about cleanliness and safety better find Singapore..... a good country, hygiene and safety is almost the best quality.....

Ok. Let's see who takes the bait on this one. :)

Yes, Singapore certainly is a beautiful and clean and lawful city, but would you believe me if i told you that when i was there back in the 50's it was very much like Bangkok is today!

Thailand desperately needs a strong leader for the good of all, not just the rich.

I say, bring back Thaksin, put up with his bad points and you will see how life will improve for everybody in a few years. At the present time there is no Thai other than him who can do it.

Singapore found Lee Kwan Yew, many also hated him in the beginning.

Singapore found Lee Kwan Yew.

My feeling is that since a while the traffic police is not enforcing law anymore. In my Saphan Kwai area, I drive my motorcycle without any helmet since 1 or 2 year. Only motorcycle drivers going far wear an helmet. Less and less helmet in my street.

Yes I do drive the bike on the pavement in case of traffic jam.

Yes, I'm ashamed.

Police officers see me / us every day and do not tell anything.

BUT, I do not jaywalk. I'm not suicidal.

My guess is that no one will be fine due to jaywalking. "They" just announced that to create animation in Thaivisa forum.

Edited by geovalin

Funny how the police can't actually police, but when it comes to soft targets for additional incomes they are top of their game.

One thing for certain, tourists will certainly be targeted in certain areas and the "fine" will be more than 200 baht.

Many feel police here are merely thugs/crooks w/ permission. Pathetic example. It was once head that a police chief complaind to the PM that even though police didn't do much they were paid poorly. The PM rebuked the chief with: hel_l we gave them guns and badges, what more do they want? :-) What a place eh?

This is a country where the concept of "right of way" simply doesn't exist. Where they paint equally uncompromising solid white lines across all four roads at a junction even though one may be a highway with vehicles travelling at 100 kph and the other a tiny back road. Where you can courteously stop for a car to pull out or turn in front of you and wait ......and wait.....and wait until you just give up and barge right ahead since no one believes you're not pulling a sneaky trick of some kind. Where stopping at a crosswalk is inviting the guy behind to rear-end you or the bikes both over and undertaking you to cream any pedestrian optimistic enough to take a chance and step of kerb. Where interpreting a flashed headlight as an invitation to proceed is almost certainly suicidal and where there is no way to indicate any other intention than watch out, I'm coming through.

hel_l, fine jaywalkers - why not? There are plenty around since more of them stay alive. Easy money.

I agree with the Cigarette Butts / rubbish fine, but do not agree with fining someone for not using the crossing.

I wonder if they will fine the poorer Thai people as well lol....

or maybe is just for us 'richer' farang....

Jeez, what will it be next.. :) 'excuse me officer, am I allowed to breath'

What will they dream of next ??? We all know it has nothing to do with safety.

TEA MONEY ???

Why do dodgy taxi drivers and airport baggage riflers get a 2-week notice, but pedestrians are expected to hear of this o/night? Or was this announced weeks ago and just ignored.

As for using a m/cycle taxi, I do it all the time, usually for 10฿. Flyover bridges are murder on arthritic knees.

I did not know they had any laws in LOS (with the exception of the helmet law). I assume one made from tinfoil would be accepted.

Have these laws been published anywhere? :)

U know in my home country it has been forbidden 2 Jaywalk as long i can remember.That it is happening here shows me that white mans 2deceases are still on a spread.People who really know what am hinting at is the "aborigines"(people who where there b4 white man came) that lives around in the world and have been ripped of. :D

There is probably a study somewhere but I have to think Bangkok is the Most Pedestrian Unfriendly city in the world and Thai drivers the least considerate- but then I'm already grouchy from being asked to pay a bribe at a government office last week. Lovin' it here! :)

If this were really about "PUBLIC SAFETY" I would accept it.

But this is such a transparent attempt to encourage corruption and extortion it is literally embarrassing.

It will be interesting to see if officers will actually make more this way than their normal bribes and salary combined.

Just hang out by MBK, Paragon... or NANA PLAZA Soi 4 between say...9pm and 2am!!! :D:D:D:):D

What are they going to use to get everybody?! ... Tuna Nets!?!?!

Those guys will be pulling down millions a month.... :D:D

HEY!!! I WANT TO BE A BANGKOK POLICEMEN!!!!!

What they should be focussing on are drivers who ignore pedestrian crossings and hit people on them! Everything in Thailand is geared towards motor vehicle owners (not motorcyclists). Owners of motor vehicles are a law unto themselves, almost never stopped for anything.

There are sometimes kilometers of open space between overhead crossings! how are people supposed to get across roads!? Risk the pedestrian crossings?

Sometimes footpaths are completely blocked by hawkers and telephone boxes, there is nowhere else to walk but the road!

Foothpaths are disgraceful at best, full of holes and uneven surfaces, that are impossible for the disabled or elderly to navigate!

Along the whole BTS circuit, there are 3 elevators for disabled! Anywhere other than these 3 stops and you are screwed!

Just another money making sheme for the ever corrupt cops/government of ever corrupt Thailand... boring!.....

What will we be charged for next in Thailand?!...

BREATHING 200฿ :)

EXHALING 400฿

with overstay fine of 50฿ for every second you hold it in over 5 seconds.

Farang Fines

BREATHING 2000฿

EXHALING 4000฿

Edited by DMasut