Cabinet To Set Up Agency To Hunt Wanted Crims

george

Cabinet to set up agency to hunt wanted crims

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet yesterday approved the establishment of a new law enforcement bureau equivalent to the US Marshals service.

It will be tasked with hunting down 260,00 people for whom arrest warrants have been issued.

Justice Minister Pirapan Salirathavibhaga said yesterday the move was based on a ministry proposal. There was no political motive such as seeking to apprehend the fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra.

"But I cannot speak for any future justice minister, and whether he would abuse his power by utilising this new bureau," he said.

The new agency will be the "Criminal Litigation and Law Enforcement Bureau" and staffed initially by 160 people.

Pirapan said he would meet US attorney general soon to ask the US Federal Bureau of Investigation and US Marshals to help train the Thai staff.

There are now 262,325 arrest warrants for criminals at large while another 299,431 warrants have been sorted out. About 6,000 criminals still at large were said to use fake ID - and were the most difficult to arrest - while about 1,000 offenders had had been caught.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-06

Well in the USA there are multiple different forces,

as noted the FBI and US Marshals do exactly this work on a national scale,

vs local cops who deal with local incidents.

But yes one might expect the cops to actually work anywhere...but... TiT

Edited by animatic

Local cops, in any country, rarely hunt fugitives - unless they are hot on trail of someone and usually then right after something happened. For example a jail-break.

They will however check IDs in traffic controls etc and stumble upon people. As can be seen on the Tv-show 'Cops' on multiple occasions.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - a quick drive-by swipe at Mr. Thaksin in this discussion about a new law enforcement agency. A linkage that is not made by accident. Plus the obligatory "fugitive" word again.

According to the pro-democracy Red Shirts, using the second coup, the judicial one, as a means of framing Mr. Thaksin as a criminal, only serves to alienate the millions who know the difference. But they will have the last laugh....if they ever dare to have an election.

Thank you, thank you, thank you - a quick drive-by swipe at Mr. Thaksin in this discussion about a new law enforcement agency. A linkage that is not made by accident. Plus the obligatory "fugitive" word again.

According to the pro-democracy Red Shirts, using the second coup, the judicial one, as a means of framing Mr. Thaksin as a criminal, only serves to alienate the millions who know the difference. But they will have the last laugh....if they ever dare to have an election.

If fugitive is the wrong word for a convicted criminal who skipped bail, please enlighten me and other readers on the correct term to use ?

If fugitive is the wrong word for a convicted criminal who skipped bail, please enlighten me and other readers on the correct term to use ?

Thank you for the opportunity and interest Artisi.........

A - if you are a firm believer in the independence of the judiciary, free of political influence than you are absolutely correct. Than Thaksin is a fugitive, criminal.

B - However, if you believe as the pro-democracy Red Shirts do, that in the case of Mr. Thaksin, Somchai and Samak, their ouster was the result of two coups, a military one and a judicial one. That being the case, the terminology is in error. Perhaps political victim would be more appropriate.

Simple as that. Not Rocket science.

You are A, along with all those media reports who brand him a 'fugitive' at every opportunity, as they have been instructed to do. ,

All the pro-democracy Red Shirts are B.

Anything else I can help you to understand?

Your remaining problem, is that there are more of B's in the country than A's.

Elections will take care of that little problem. You see, that is what democracy is all about. Governance by the majority, which is lacking at the moment.

Edited by Ferwert

The same judiciary let Col Thaksin off on earlier charges before his cowardly escape, and the colonel rejoiced in the 'fair' ruling. Redskirts, there's a word for when you try to have it both ways: hypocrisy.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

A - if you are a firm believer in the independence of the judiciary, free of political influence than you are absolutely correct. Than Thaksin is a fugitive, criminal.

B - However, if you believe as the pro-democracy Red Shirts do, that in the case of Mr. Thaksin, Somchai and Samak, their ouster was the result of two coups, a military one and a judicial one. That being the case, the terminology is in error.

You are A, along with all those media reports who brand him a 'fugitive' at every opportunity, as they have been instructed to do. ,

Elections will take care of that little problem. You see, that is what democracy is all about. Governance by the majority, which is lacking at the moment.

Let me ad this Mr. Ferwert (I address you as Mr. not as Khun because I still trust you are a "farang" and not a Thai...)

A fugitive is a person who is fleeing from custody, whether it be from private slavery, a government arrest, government or non-government questioning, vigilante violence, or outraged private individuals. As a verbal metaphor and psychological concept, one might also be described as a "fugitive from oneself". Finally, the literary sense of "fugitive" includes the meaning of simply "fleeing".

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugitive

I take it that posters #11 (webfact) and # 10 (SpoliaOpima) are in the "A" column....do I have that right?

I would hazard to guess that 85% of Farangs on this board are also in the "A" column.

No problem....that makes things about even!

Hmmm Webfact....maybe I am Thai. Could be. Thank you for the compliment!.....But what is he really...?????????????

For most of you, Ferwert is just a misguided #$%^&*()_

Edited by Ferwert

B - However, if you believe as the pro-democracy Red Shirts do, that in the case of Mr. Thaksin, Somchai and Samak, their ouster was the result of two coups, a military one and a judicial one. That being the case, the terminology is in error. Perhaps political victim would be more appropriate.

Here we go again.

I am just curious. Why do you always say pro democracy red shirts? Is there a separate group of red shirts that is anti democracy? Also, why do you say there are more people in the country from what you define as the B group over what you define as the A group? How do you come up with this?

Thank you "Old Man River, Post # 13" for the questions. I enjoy the interaction.

"Why do I say pro-democracy Red Shirts?".... It is my opinion OMR, that there is a struggle going on, about the efficacy of electoral democracy in Thailand.

On one side are those who want to do away with one-person-one-vote Democracy, and replace it with an appointive system. They try to frame this as some sort of new politics, but in effect, it goes back to many previous "paternalistic" forms of Govt. They make no effort to address electoral fraud such as vote-buying among others. They don't want to correct those problems, as they are convenient shibboleths with which to demonize an electoral system that does not serve their interests. Because this appointive system eliminates Democracy, these people can be summed up as being anti-democrats. Code words such as National reconciliation, political and constitutional reform are the cover under which these objectives are being pursued, according to the Red Shirts.

The Red Shirts benefit from one-person-one-vote and support this electoral option strongly. This is the old coalition that Thaksin was able to cobble together, with which he won elections handily. Presumably this would happen again. Promoting one-person-one-vote electoral processes, make the Red Shirts the pro-democracy group in Thailand.

The Media want to avoid an impression that electoral democracy is under threat, and accordingly, keep things simplistic by merely referring to the two sides of this debate by their clothing affinity colours - Red or Yellow. To counter such shallowness, I like to refer to them according to what they represent - The pro-democracy red Shirts, and the anti-democracy PAD/old paternalistic politics group.

The three-year-long, orchestrated Thaksin demonization program is predicated on the notion that people will not assign political motivations to the judicial process as the Red Shirts do. The pro-democracy Red Shirts call the ouster of the democratically elected Governments of Thaksin, Samak and Somchai as being perpetrated by not only the military coup, but that a second coup became necessary after the surprising Samak election. The Red Shirts say this second coup was by a politically influenced judiciary, and accordingly call it a "judicial coup". To the pro-democracy Red Shirts, Thaksin is a political victim. To those who consider the judiciary free of political influences, he is a 'fugitive'.

Edited by Ferwert

Hello, this is a good attempt at law enforcement so I am all for it. They might set up a fund to pay people for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the accused or wanted people. Cheers.

WOW

I would earn a fortune,bring it on now

Few people deem as political a trial held in the open and verdicts shared with all.

Daw Aung Su Kyi's trial is a political trial

and Thaksin is no Daw Aung Su Kyi, by any imaginable measure.

Of course if the person on trial is a politician he can think it is political,

and tell all and sundry 'it is political', but only the telling and attempts

to MAKE it political make it political. The function of the court is to try crimes.

This was done and the people saw the facts on display.

Some choose to disbelieve their puyai is fallible

The red shirts have no need of fineseing the point, they want all or nothing,

because there is no grey area in this desire they have to bring the lord back to power.

Or they are back to the country side and the debts left over from Thaksin's last reign.

So lets invent phrases like 'Judicial Coup', which implies that the judiciaries head was cut off ,

not the other way round. Lest ignore public facts that don't support our position.

Let's drag the highest office to where it can be seen as pressured to act

for ONE puyai's benefit, by a street rabble...

Oh, but there was a judicial coup....

a hauty sounding name for not getting your own way Kuhn T.

The only one who actually makes Thaksin seem like a demon is THAKSIN.

Only he is causing trouble in people's spirits from afar; Thaksin IS division personified.

Like a Phee krasu dragging it's entrails in the dark,

and looking for thresholds to cross and souls to eat.

He becomes the demon he says others only SEE him as.

No one of clean living and good heart

would try to tear the country apart like this.

All the olive branches were extended,

all the face saving was offered,

but he is having none of it.

ALL OR NOTHING AT ALL> the Thaksin way.

Edited by animatic

Shall I put you in column "A" Animatic?

I take it that we disagree.

But that is what makes a board such as this fun, for political junkies like you and I.

My views are quite well summed up in Post # 15, and if you have read my previous drivel, you will note the consistency.

As much as I enjoy the banter between the opposing political sides, I don't think it is really appropriate for this thread. The timing of the establishment of this agency is a little suspicious, especially given all the different locations and sightings of the former PM and the gov'ts inability to accomplish it's stated goal of returning him.

Regardless of the timing, I am wondering how many departments there are in the police and which department currently handles these searches. I am also interested to know what safeguards there are for preventing the endemic corruption from permeating this unit from any other.

Hopefully, they will go after Abu Ali, the guy wanted for murder in the 19 year old Saudi case.

Hopefully, they will go after some of the terrorist/insurgents from the South of Thailand.

As much as I enjoy the banter between the opposing political sides, I don't think it is really appropriate for this thread. The timing of the establishment of this agency is a little suspicious, especially given all the different locations and sightings of the former PM and the gov'ts inability to accomplish it's stated goal of returning him.

Regardless of the timing, I am wondering how many departments there are in the police and which department currently handles these searches. I am also interested to know what safeguards there are for preventing the endemic corruption from permeating this unit from any other.

I'm glad you mentioned this Scott. I also had a fleeting thought about the true intent here. But I'm trying to be nice.

Yeah, we really got into the politics thing, pivotting off some alleged re-organization at the police department.

I guess both the reference to Thaksin, including the media agenized term 'fugitive' propelled things in that direction. I mean what else to talk about. If we confined ourselves to just a boring re-organization at the Police Department, would be sleep-inducing.

I could expound on all my OD (Organization Development) experience from a previous life.

Much better to toss some political red meat out there.

Edited by Ferwert

Hopefully, they will go after Abu Ali, the guy wanted for murder in the 19 year old Saudi case.

Hopefully, they will go after some of the terrorist/insurgents from the South of Thailand.

maybe the mastermind behind the murder of "shipping moo"

Kornthep, a shipping agent, supplied information about alleged tax evasion by Shin Satellite Corp. to Sirichoke Sopa, a Democrat MP, who used the information in a parliamentary debate of no confidence in the Thaksin Shinawatra Government

The timing of the establishment of this agency is a little suspicious, especially given all the different locations and sightings of the former PM and the gov'ts inability to accomplish it's stated goal of returning him.

:)

Thank you for the long winded diatribe which is somewhat wasted as I wasn't asking you for your analysis on my thoughts on Thaksin.

You also completely missed the point, Thaksin was found guilty by a legally constituted court of law, he skipped bail and is therefore a fugitive what ever spin you like to put on it.

So maybe there is something I can help you understand.

The timing of the establishment of this agency is a little suspicious, especially given all the different locations and sightings of the former PM and the gov'ts inability to accomplish it's stated goal of returning him.

Most likely there was no re-organization at all, and no creation of a separate police unit as reported. Suspicious as you say. This Thaksin demonization campaign takes many forms, and perhaps this is just another one. Given the professional and admirable Thai ability at indirectness, a bald Thaksin demonization statement on its' own is not suitable. It needs to be couched within something that is seemingly unrelated. Even if its' totally fabricated............But who knows.....You dont know, and I dont know...............The sophistication of Thai indirectness is often beyond Farang comprehension. They just aren't smart enough. They aren't wired that way.

I say 'admirable', this indirectness thing, because I marvel at the 'code' within which a lot of the internet web discussions occur. Truly creative and effective. Many of you Farangs dont see that world. It is a Thai language underground, nationally pervasive and involving huge numbers.

With all due respect, many Farangs on this board dont know, what they dont know. They think they have all the pieces to the puzzle, and prognosticate accordingly. But their English Language information sources merely scratch the surface. And on top of it, that limited information is heavily agenized.

I understand the worldwide "Twitter" discussion forumn has now been shut down in Thailand.

Edited by Ferwert

Ferwert, you certainly did throw some red meat on the grill and a few spices to boot!

It does seem that in the past few years there have been some high profile people 'fleeing' the country. I am wondering if the number fleeing Thailand is as high as the number of foreigners fleeing "to" Thailand.

I am also interested in knowing how the police deparment is organized and what some of the different branches are.

Maybe there was no re-organization at all, and no creation of a separate police unit as reported. Suspicious as you say. This Thaksin demonization campaign takes many forms, and perhaps this is just another one. Given the professional and admirable Thai ability at indirectness, a bald Thaksin demonization statement on its' own is not suitable. It needs to be couched within something that is seemingly unrelated. Even if its' totally fabricated............But who knows.....You dont know, and I dont know...............The sophistication of Thai indirectness is often beyond Farang comprehension. They just aren't smart enough. They aren't wired that way.

I say 'admirable', this indirectness thing, because I marvel at the 'code' within which a lot of the internet web discussions occur. Truly creative and effective. Many of you Farangs dont see that world. It is a Thai language underground, nationally pervasive and involving huge numbers.

With all due respect, many Farangs on this board dont know, what they dont know. They think they have all the pieces to the puzzle, and prognosticate accordingly. But their English Language information sources merely scratch the surface. And on top of it, that limited information is heavily agenized.

I understand the worldwide "Twitter" discussion forumn has now been shut down in Thailand.

x

Edited by Ferwert

"...hunting down 260,00 people for whom arrest warrants have been issued..."

This new force is probably needed to put the hit men from certain parts of Thailand and other criminals in jail where they belong. Local police departments in US don't have all the information needed to go after criminals from other jurisdictions and probably Thailand too....so it probably takes something like a U.S. Marshall service in Thailand that can get all the information needed to make the arrests where the locals don't have the information or will to do so.

Well nothing was said about international fugitives, yet there are plenty on the loose IN Thailand.

There has been a lot of talk about the ineptitude fugitive apprehension as of late,

and not just about Dr. T. He's a big fish, but they know wherew he is more or less.

This list of absconders includes; pedos, drug trafficers from other countries, assorted white collar criminals,

slavers and people just on the lam from stupidities. How many drivers leave accident scenes rather than

get beaten to death by the survivors?

I suspect all this talk was embarrassing, and someone finally thought to create an answer,

in the form of a department to apprehend fugitives and thus at least a appear to save some face.

<nip>

Since when Twitter has been shut down? It is not true what you write!!!

You are free to test it with this 'account' T-Account