Foreign Personal Trainers Working In Bangkok?

yabbra

I'm just curious if anyone out there knows if there is a foreign personal training market in Bangkok. I'm one myself and planning to to move to bangkok soon to do English teaching and maybe some PT on the side if its possible. Any experiences on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Asoke California fitness seems to always have a bunch of degenerates trying to sell me steroids.

Wow they must really pity you then.

To the OP i doubt they would give you a workpermit, and i would not want seen doing it in places like gyms. There are a lot of thai personal trainers and if one tips the police off your toast.

Just my 2 cents.

Ok here is a question to you personal trainers out there... I am still recovering from a bad car accident I had in 2007. Im heading for BKK in a few days for a 2 month stay. I have not done much physical exercise since the accident, so to start, what do you think would be better, physical rehab in a hospital or a personal trainer in a gym? Im not sure about the availability of either physical therapists or personal trainers in Thailand. How much money do you think a Thai personal trainer would ask per hour or session? How much would a foreign personal trainer in Thailand ask per session?

Edited by rideswings

i dont get it.

I thought you had a brain being a young professional and so on free on mondays. I can spell it out for you, you were so small it was embarrassing so they offered you steroids. All in good fun just like your posts are. :)

Edited by robblok
  • Confused 1

Ok here is a question to you personal trainers out there... I am still recovering from a bad car accident I had in 2007. Im heading for BKK in a few days for a 2 month stay. I have not done much physical exercise since the accident, so to start, what do you think would be better, physical rehab in a hospital or a personal trainer in a gym? Im not sure about the availability of either physical therapists or personal trainers in Thailand. How much money do you think a Thai personal trainer would ask per hour or session? How much would a foreign personal trainer in Thailand ask per session?

I am no personal trainer but i am knowledgeable about training. It all depends in how bad a shape you are, if your in really bad shape go rehab in a hospital they have handled cases like you before. The Thai personal trainers i have seen don't impress me much and i guess a lot of foreign trainers also have no credentials. Someone like me could help you if you were in reasonable shape. I am no personal trainer nor do i ask money for helping people. (if its not too far out of my way). I have to say however that i rather not work with people who have ailments that prevent them from making certain movements.

If your seriously messed up don't trust a foreign trainer without seeing some real credentials and also don't trust a Thai trainer and just go to the hospital. If your just out of shape you can try either though i think communication is better with foreign trainers. I also think that foreign trainers if they are in good shape themselves have solid background of training themselves. I often have more faith in people who have trained for a long time themselves then people who have just studied books. The best would be of course a combination of both.

I have no idea about the prices because i don't work as a personal trainer and i have never used one.

I wish you good luck and hope my post gave you some answers.

My son applied for a job as trainer at one of the big gyms in Bangkok and had an interview where the interviewer told him he was so much more knowledgeable than any of the locals and he would like to give him the job. ((He has been training himself for a few years and has learned about every aspect of physical training, he has a great body and is big without being obscene)) anyway the guy went off to see his personnel department and then came back and apologised to my son because he wasnt allowed to offer him the job as it was against Thai law.

So the answer to the OP's original question is a definate no , you wont be allowed to work here as a trainer.

HL :)

To the OP,

As other posters have said, being a fully professional PT here is not possible, that is to say, doing it as your official job with a visa and work permit.

I have a friend, an English girl, who recently arrived in Bangkok from Sydney who is doing some PT. I am not sure of the legalities of it - i.e. I think that she is doing some part time English teaching and doing personal training 'on the side' etc... I just don't know.

Should you wish me to put you in touch, just send me a PM and I can put you in touch.

cheers

James

How much money do you think a Thai personal trainer would ask per hour or session?

If you require a trainer for "medical" reasons, I would be very wary about taking on a Thai PT, Generally, they havent got a clue what they are doing, know this is a generalisation, but based on personal experience with wifey and a PT at one of the bigger gyms, named after a city on the west coast of the US.. :) ...they havent got a f*kcing clue and could possibly seriously hurt someone...

In a word - no... but you may be able to get some work through friends or contacts etc as long as you keep it quiet. There is a strong need for good quality trainers here in my opinion.

I have a strong background academically and in real world experience training people for performance enhancement and general fitness and conditioning. What I have seen in california fitness (ratchonyothin, lad prao, siam, pinklao) of the personal trainers is a joke....in my opinon they just go through a pre-made workout with the client without any understanding of the underlying principles and sports science. I very much doubt any of them have studied sports science or anything in the application of weights/exercise science. Thailand is decades behind the west in terms of introducing new sports science and training principles. Even some of the top muay thai gyms train with very outdated exercises and routines.

Personally I dont mind writing training and diet programmes for friends for free or even doing a couple of sessions with them to set them off on the right track. I have trained a few people on the understand that if any one asks "we are just friends training together" its more of a side line or hobby than a real earner.

good luck if you decide to go for it...

I have seen one or two foreigners officially employed by California working as personal trainers- they don't seem to last very long, though. I would imagine a big cultural divide (in terms of management, training, and other areas) between them and the Thai employees and managers, and potentially even clients.

We are a well established fitness, performance and rehab company based in Bangkok. Since 2003 we have been providing personal training, boot camps, and rehab for clients. All our foreign trainers have work permits and are 100% legal. It really depends on your specialization, and a 'we come to' freelance trainer is going to find it challenging.

We work with many post-op clients after knee, shoulder and back surgery. Those who have had the top notch surgery but were not confident that the local rehab/physio was as it should and along the same lines as the type of rehab they would receive at home.

Yes, there is a need for professional trainers, however now there are so many freelance, illegal and poorly educated/experienced trainers out there its tough for the consumer to really know. So if you cant get results, clients will rarely to continue.

Check for qualifications, testimonials and legality. Thailand is cracking down on illegal freelance trainers.

We run a private training studio with change rooms so no membership fees either. Trainers have degrees in exercise science, rehab and sports performance and over 12 years of international experience. A functional, result driven philosophy with research proven strategies for great results.

Have to be able to be more than just a trainer... Coaching on lifestyle, nutrition, accountability is what will get the results whether its rehab, fat loss or lifestyle change.

Hope that helps.

PM us if you need more information.

My gym has a "look-khreung" working there.

I think it's a selling point.

Very much doubt he'd be there if he didn't hold Thai nationality. Legal problems would dissuade the employer and very low wages would dissuade the non-Thai national.

I'm not telling you to work illegally but I'm sure people do and make enough to live on.

Even some of the top muay thai gyms train with very outdated exercises and routines.

I've heard this argument before. Muay Thai guys run to much, do to little weights and so on.

Fact of the matter is that Thai Muay Thai fighters are leaps and bounds above everyone else, even with their 'outdated' methods. These guys know what they're doing. They are the best. It's just like Fedor Emelianenko, the worlds best MMA fighter. His training methods consists of hitting a tire with a sledgehammer, boxing falling leaves and training with equipment that looks like it's 30 years old. He's also flabby, yet he is an absolute beast and much stronger and faster than Americans who train with high tech technology.

Sometimes you gotta lay down the textbooks and look at what actually works.

• 10 years later...
2 hours ago, jackspade said:

All they do is stand around, smirk, and chit chat with their lady clients.

And that is probably what their lady clients want. A big part of personal training is the social side of providing the service.

Edited by RickG16

I've never observed a single Personal Trainer in Thailand who was actually "training" anyone. All they do is stand around, smirk, and chit chat with their lady clients.
Your not observing a trainer who trains poorly. Your observing a client who doesn't really want to train.

Firstly you do of course understand and realize teaching English does not pay all that well to be able to afford any personal trainer, let alone a foreigner who will cost double.

Saying that, there are a few of them and all can be found on Facebook.How legal or illegal they are i do not know.

I know some Personal Trainers in Bangkok who have been here years. Openly advertising on facebook, many hi so well known clients Thai and Farang. The ones i have known appear to work hard, take their work seriously and appear to be making a decent living. Short of opening a gym chain i suppose their is a limit to how far they can go. I am sure Jetts will be the next to go the way of Calafornian Wow and many to lose their money.

11 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

OP, you can try the Bangkok FB sites.

I remember some Russian type guy had adds for personal trainer before but that guy wanted some ridiculous amount like 

3,000baht per hour.

his add wasnt up for long.

maybe someone grassed him for being a fxxkwit

Maybe he started his own company where he had to pay a few million to the government plus employ 4 thai....in that case 3000 baht an hour isn't too much me thinks.

I've also seen ad's from other farang who give lessons on classical instruments..they asked like 2000 an hour for a violin lesson.

But i also see westerners handing out perfumed samples in Thai (and other asian) malls...it seems those guys can also get a workpermit for that.

On 8/23/2019 at 7:27 PM, JayBird said:
On 8/22/2019 at 11:47 AM, jackspade said:
I've never observed a single Personal Trainer in Thailand who was actually "training" anyone. All they do is stand around, smirk, and chit chat with their lady clients.

Your not observing a trainer who trains poorly. Your observing a client who doesn't really want to train.

I beg to differ, but I would say no trainer who wants to train would be ok with standing around playing on his cell phone all day.

Edited by jackspade