Thai Student Uniforms 'too Sexy'

george

Student uniforms 'too sexy'

Country's top two universities order clampdown

VeryShortSkirts.jpg

File photo. Source: unknown

BANGKOK: -- Chulalongkorn University (CU) is campaigning for students to comply with its dress code, while Thammasat University (TU) wants to the government to launch a "Social Cabinet" to tackle the issue of students wearing uniforms inappropriately.

At the project launch yesterday, CU rector Pirom Kamolratanakul said wearing a Chula student uniform, the only one to be granted by the monarchy, is a privilege.

TU deputy rector for student affairs Parinya Thewana-ruemitkul said the president for Network of Deputy Rectors for Student Affairs supervised the student uniform code at each university. He added that Thammasat was less strict about the uniform than some other universities, but insisted students wear "appropriate clothes" to classes.

Celebrities' influence

Blaming the influence of fashions worn by movie and TV stars, he urged that a Social Cabinet comprising the efforts of several ministries should be set up to help universities solve the problem. The Culture Ministry could ask celebrities to wear clothes appropriate to the time of day and occasion as well as promote good values, he added.

Deputy Education Minister Chaiwuti Bannawat agreed that students need good discipline and praised universities' successful efforts in improving the standard of their students' dress.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-19

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They would be better served having a clampdown on substandard teaching and changing of classes to suit lecturers other money making ventures.

Figures in establishment or with power telling the young to not do something usually has the opposite effect.

A lot of the students, upon leaving the school, raise the skirt. So, I don't know that it's the uniform that is inappropriate, but how it is worn.

Since many of these ladies are working on their "Mrs." degree, this might be the appropriate way to wear them!

What a ridiculous story. Who honestly cares, the fact university students are made to wear uniforms is a joke in the first place. They're meant to be young adults discovering themselves, for fuc_k sake let them discover and do something about your massive traffic problem, the rampant dumbing of trash and the polluting of water ways... Its gonna benefit a lot more than stopping a few politicians from getting hard ons and upsetting their wives...

What a ridiculous story. Who honestly cares, the fact university students are made to wear uniforms is a joke in the first place. They're meant to be young adults discovering themselves, for fuc_k sake let them discover and do something about your massive traffic problem, the rampant dumbing of trash and the polluting of water ways... Its gonna benefit a lot more than stopping a few politicians from getting hard ons and upsetting their wives...

Exactly what I was thinking, why do they even have to wear a uniform. Nearly every girl I see in a university uniform has a really short skirt, whats wrong with that.. I think they are old enough to decide what they want to wear.

Edited by MarleyMark

Nearly every girl I see in a university uniform has a really short skirt, whats wrong with that..

that the ministry of clampdowns don't like to see that (don't expect any logic explanation)

That proves men are from Mars, women from Venus? Must have been teleported to to Venus these past 6 years...........Why?

When I was at uni, 50% of the girls were wearing bib and brace blue overalls with doctor martin boots?

The other 50% were wearing afghan coats, hideously pink or purple cords, cheese cloth shirts with white boat/gym shoes.

Both groups drank pints of beer, smoked roll-ups and thought it hilarious to fart in public. Grew underarm hair and their hygeine was more that of a drunken prop or lock forward on a bad night.

Now there should of been a clampdown on Mars with that type of behaviour? Here on Venus, nope leave well alone

Edited by tmd5855

ok, that's it, goodbye Thailand. i'm outta here.

By the way, can we all start posting pictures of cute girls in tight while shirts and black skirts again?

If you are proposing the motion?..............................

Okay, I will second the motion??

I suppose they think this will raise the standard of education offered at Thai universities.....or is it more related to the fact that most universities in Thailand have an abysmal world ranking - why bother worrying about silly things like education standards teaching methods when there are far more important concerns - like interfering with the young female students....who incidentally are usually the best students anyway....

I am here in Bangkok past 10 years. If you ask me it is regular announcement each year immediately after university is open. Probably it is a syndicate between uniform companies and university, so that they can sell more varieties of skirts (Micro,Mini,Midi,Maxi,etc). According to our Thai friend, more the skirt goes up higher class they study. :)

A coup? No problem. Bird flu, pig flu, megalomaniacs like Thaksin, the owner of King Power and Eric Bahrt the vegan nut job? No problem. Demonstrations, airport closures, etc.? No problem. Corruption at all levels? That is the price we pay for living in the Land of Smiles.

Now this! To say the least, I'm angry and will NOT take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The government has gone to far this time. Hopefully this is just saber rattling from a minister who's turn it was to do a press release and had a brain fart.

Should we start a petition of some sort?