Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand

jlaw666

I think we all need to understand as well, that this is the FIRST ever Reality TV show produced for a foreign audience and channel in Thailand. Regardless of whether you think it is trash or fun to watch, it is a piece of History and may even change Thailand's attitude on promoting itself to the rest of the world. People don't want to see the boring TAT videos anymore, they want to see what Thailand is REALLY like.

Today I heard from the Thai production company that assisted in making the program that the authorities have backed off and decided to view all 8 episodes before they decide to take action or not. I think they may be starting to realize that the show is not out to destroy Thailand and is only a harmless reality show on a small UK cable/sattelite tv channel.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be great to see a little more of the TPV Rob Brown in Chiang Mai. The guy seems to speak a lot of sense.

As for the drunken couple who had the motorcycle accident, imagine doing that in the west. He'd be done for drink driving and she would be done for drunk and abusive behavior. The Thai police officer showed a huge (too much) amount of patience with this pair of idiots.

The series reflects very badly on certain morons who leave their brains at the airport upon arrival.

I can understand forum members questioning whether or not the TPVs are overstepping their mark. However if I was a first timer in the country and unlucky enough, or as in most cases here idiotic enough to become involved in some sort of trouble, the presence of the TPVs would most welcome (and not just in the police station).

I think we all need to understand as well, that this is the FIRST ever Reality TV show produced for a foreign audience and channel in Thailand. Regardless of whether you think it is trash or fun to watch, it is a piece of History and may even change Thailand's attitude on promoting itself to the rest of the world. People don't want to see the boring TAT videos anymore, they want to see what Thailand is REALLY like.

Today I heard from the Thai production company that assisted in making the program that the authorities have backed off and decided to view all 8 episodes before they decide to take action or not. I think they may be starting to realize that the show is not out to destroy Thailand and is only a harmless reality show on a small UK cable/sattelite tv channel.

And viewed throughout the rest of the world via internet.....all my cop buds ( real ones ) are now watching it back in the good 'ol US and of A.

Is Episode 4 on You Tube as of yet..I searched for it yesterday and only saw up to Ep.3 ??

The problem is that the two issues are intertwined. It is only obvious that the series would bring into question the role of the TPVs here amongst the expatriate population. This is an expat forum, that this sort of debate would erupt was inevitable.

As a series in its own right its entertaining, sensationalist tat which is what I'm sure the producers were aiming at as Bravo aren't particularly famed for their more highbrow programming.

I think HM is a little optimistic in his hope that this will change the way that Thailand will promote itself as they are constantly striving to brush the Pattaya/sex for sale/drunken party destination image under the carpet in pursuit of the holy grail of 'High Class Tourism'

This show probably has the powers that be at the Ministry of Tourism holding their heads in anguish much as many other poor TV documentaries have in the past.

As mentioned elsewhere, it will certainly bring a huge influx of chavs from the UK to Pattaya.

When there is a huge rise in the type of behaviour more associated with Benidorm than Pattaya i.e. constant brawls, large mobs of drunken yobs constantly prowling Pattaya and so on (just watch similar shows about resorts on the Med and you'll see what I mean) I wish the TPV the best in dealing with them once their 15 minutes of fame has passed.

You reap what you sow.

If HM thinks that the show portrays how Thailand REALLY is, might I respectfully suggest he get out of Pattaya once in a while?

What a ridiculous statement.

Edited by ProfessorFart

It would be great to see a little more of the TPV Rob Brown in Chiang Mai. The guy seems to speak a lot of sense.

As for the drunken couple who had the motorcycle accident, imagine doing that in the west. He'd be done for drink driving and she would be done for drunk and abusive behavior. The Thai police officer showed a huge (too much) amount of patience with this pair of idiots.

The series reflects very badly on certain morons who leave their brains at the airport upon arrival.

I can understand forum members questioning whether or not the TPVs are overstepping their mark. However if I was a first timer in the country and unlucky enough, or as in most cases here idiotic enough to become involved in some sort of trouble, the presence of the TPVs would most welcome (and not just in the police station).

I agree and the work done by the TPV in Koh Samui was admirable.

And viewed throughout the rest of the world via internet.....all my cop buds ( real ones ) are now watching it back in the good 'ol US and of A.

Is Episode 4 on You Tube as of yet..I searched for it yesterday and only saw up to Ep.3 ??

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3042762

There are legitimate concerns regarding the TPV and you are welcome to discuss them. However, we don't need a pile-on Howard where the same gripes are repeated ad-nauseum, nor do we need someone calling everyone who disagrees with the TPV a whinger. Make your point and move on. If someone's already made it, save your breath.

*deleted-moderation is not up for discussion*

Edited by cdnvic

I must hand it to you that I guess indeed this is the first reality tv show that covers tourists in Thailand (anyway as far as I'm aware).

However I seriously doubt that what is shown is the real Thailand. It might be for some of the Pattaya expats, but for many others it shows the type of tourists and the types of venues (Pattaya and FMP in particular) that made Thailand infamous. Sex tourism, outrageous idiotic drunk youths you get the picture.

I have been comming to Thailand for many years now, and to be honest, whilst I have been to Pattaya several times, the rest of what I see on the show is vastly different from the Thailand that I have witnessed.

"I must hand it to you that I guess indeed this is the first reality tv show that covers tourists in Thailand (anyway as far as I'm aware)"

It isn't. There have been reams of low quality docs made about tourism (usually covering 'Sex Tourism') in the past.

Then there was the Channel 4 doc series a few years ago (the name escapes me - something like Bangkok Nights) which followed a selection of tourists coming to Thailand. Again it was poor focusing on only the sensational.

Edited by ProfessorFart

If HM thinks that the show portrays how Thailand REALLY is, might I respectfully suggest he get out of Pattaya once in a while?

Well if you mean out of the major cities you are right - far different. However same same in Bangkok, Samui, CM, Udon, Phuket ect as Pattaya at the end of the day. :)

I can think of two previous reality shows, of the bat, that concerned Thailand. One was called 'Bangkok Bound' aired on one of the UK sky channels. It was a long running series following a wide spectrum of tourists in Thailand. The other was an excellent little reality programme that was a fly on the wall look inside a Ko Samui detox retreat - colonic cleansing included! - Both were very enjoyable to watch. I think there has been one concerning thamkrambok wat (drug rehab temple) too.

So no, Trouble in tourist Thailand is not the first reality show based in the country. It might have had the biggest budget. but not the first.

He seemed pretty thick to me, to be honest. He had the exact same persona as a UK copper and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually was one once. The problem is that the people who are attracted to these kind of positions, are exactly the type of people who shouldn't be doing them (same all over the world, including the UK police). To put it bluntly, there is a severe lacking of brain power among them (although obviously there are exceptions to the rule).

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=3042762

Thanks! :)

I can think of two previous reality shows, of the bat, that concerned Thailand. One was called 'Bangkok Bound' aired on one of the UK sky channels. It was a long running series following a wide spectrum of tourists in Thailand. The other was an excellent little reality programme that was a fly on the wall look inside a Ko Samui detox retreat - colonic cleansing included! - Both were very enjoyable to watch. I think there has been one concerning thamkrambok wat (drug rehab temple) too.

So no, Trouble in tourist Thailand is not the first reality show based in the country. It might have had the biggest budget. but not the first.

Sorry again, I should have said "cops" style reality TV show.

Well if you mean out of the major cities you are right - far different. However same same in Bangkok, Samui, CM, Udon, Phuket ect as Pattaya at the end of the day. :)

No that is clearly not the case, Cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai have far more to offer then the sex scene alone, and in both cities the size of it is really tiny in comparison with Pattaya.

Last time I looked Udon didn't even resemble Pattaya.

^Same Same, but not in such a concentrated area - u are fooling yourself if you believe any different. :D

Patters has hundreds of things to do besides the naughty nightlife, but I wouldnt expect most blinkered people to know that. :)

Edited by britmaveric

Yeah yeah same old story, no matter how you put it, Pattaya is a big seaside brothel. It's beach is not even worthy of be called a beach. (Yes I know Jomtiem is much better).

Again the sex for hire scene in Bangkok geared towards foreigners is much smaller, certainly if you consider the size of both cities.

Name one temple of historic importance in Pattaya, enough said really.

Sanctuary of Truth :)

Fortunately most people know better about Pattaya and what it has to offer. That is why you see families, couples and Thai(s) from surrounding areas returning year after year. :D

Historic importance :D

Yes I do realise that it has more to offer then the sex scene alone, however it cannot be denied that the vast majority of tourists going to Pattaya go there for the naughty nightlife, this in sharp contrast to the people that go to Bangkok or Chiang Mai or even Phukhet.

Point of my post is that saying that Pattaya is same same as Bangkok and Chiang Mai is not true, not only in terms of the sex for hire scene.

Unfortunately it is the same, no debating it. The point of my post is only a small% of people go to Pattaya for the naught night life when you consider the OVERALL numbers. Thai(s) for one are the number one tourists, not to mention all the Chinese/Japanese tourists which pales in comparison to the single male farang.

Unfortunately it is the same, no debating it. The point of my post is only a small% of people go to Pattaya for the naught night life when you consider the OVERALL numbers. Thai(s) for one are the number one tourists, not to mention all the Chinese/Japanese tourists which pales in comparison to the single male farang.

How is it the same though ? I mean look at the area of Pattaya that is dedicated to go go bars and girlie bars, and compare it to Bangkok or Chiang Mai, or in other words how easy is it to avoid these types of venues in either three cities. I sincerely doubt that the % of people that go to Pattaya for the naughty life is small, it is certainly much bigger then people that go for this specific reason to Bangkok or especially Chiang Mai.

Howard did change his statement to say that it shows the real tourist Thailand, but somehow I have missed the famous temples in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, didn't see them filming in Ayuthaya or Kanchanaburi or Sukothai. Places where many tourist go.

Did they ever film in Thanon Khao San ? :)

The outcome may have been different if the cameras hadn't been on the Thai policeman. Unbelievable he let them get away with drunk driving.

Edited by phuketrex

I've decided to stop watching the show because afterwards I actually feel physically down. I still start watching it but now I've found the strength to turn it off and instead I prefer to go and watch the kite surfers bouncing off the waves as the suns going down.

I'd love to make a show about the good side of living in Thailand but I know that no-one would watch that, everyone wants to watch programmes that makes them feel good, because their life seems better when compared to drunk idiots getting slapped.

I am however interested to know what happened to that guy in the green ( ? ) shirt that smashed a bottle over the other guys head in the bar.

There's instant karma if ever I've seen it. Why was the show edited to make the other guy look like the victim. Was it because he was a serviceman. The cctv footage showed what a savage beating the big ( later to be bottle victim ) was giving to the other guy on the floor.

In fact maybe its good to have places like that, its like having a zoo to keep and control all the " insert what ever derogatory adjective fits best for you ".

Leaving the rest of this beautiful country for the ones that appreciate it.

:)

Sanctuary of Truth :)

Fortunately most people know better about Pattaya and what it has to offer. That is why you see families, couples and Thai(s) from surrounding areas returning year after year. :D

This is the sort of long standing PR myth that TAT might come up with and it's rather like saying there is more to Las Vegas than gambling. Yes there is more to Pattaya than prostitution, but not MUCH more. The number of bars, pick up joints, blow job bars, 'massage parlors' and prostitutes along beach road, even in the daytime are clear evidence of what the main attraction , and big baht earner is, and it sure ain't fishing trips or go karting. You mention in another post than Thai's are by far the biggest number of visitors but give no evidence to back it up, they are certainly not the biggest spenders that's certain. True you do see couples about but how do YOU know they return year after year? I have known many who were horrified and never went back and more who left as soon as they could. Pattaya is a sore on the face of Thailand and a very bad example of how lack of planning and the drive for profit at all costs can ruin what was, until 30 years ago, quite an attractive destination. To try and pretend as some do that it is anything more than a tacky whorehouse by the sea is pretty pointless when you look at the place with open eyes, without the rose tinted glasses.

Britmaveric:
Where did anyone search a food cart? Are you even watching the same show?

A russian tourist reported to them that a thai vendor was selling drugs from a food cart. Howard went along with his thai counterpart.

Then Howard went to INVESTIGATE and INSPECT, which according to the central rules is forbidden.

5. Volunteers should not be involved in activities such as arrests, interrogations, investigations or inspections

This idea that each locale has its own rules is suspect in the extreme. IF it is true, then the whole endeavor is pretty willy-nilly

You are confused.

Anyone living in Thailand is allowed to go and look at something.

And INSPECTION is something else, and is not in regards to looking, but determining something for example in regards to the road safety level of an vehicle.

Or are you saying that the TPV have less rights than normal citizens?

Edit: This episode they are trying to cover too much ground. It's too Headline News-ish. I'm interested in what the finale will be in Episode 8.

Some posts here are really ridiculous.

We can argue the definition of investigate until the cows come home, but the rules also mention interrogations and investigations. Can you or I (as "anyone") order someone to follow us to a folding table and chairs to have a chat about them being allegedly drunk and disorderly? Can we? I can't.

Ah, but you think inspection means that little slip of paper you found in your new pants pocket -- "Inspected by 47."

I think you forget the honorific....as in....

"You can't just barge in here like that, Inspector Beetroot! Just what is it you think you're doing?"

"Inspecting, as the name implies..."

Inspector Beetroot looked up and took a step back, surveying the high ceiling. Not much way of hanging a rope from this room...unless.

"Open all the closets and pantries," the inspector said, leveling a stare at Roosenvelt Von Pelt, the yellow press's darling boy.

Von Pelt didn't move more than the pupils of his eyes. This is where it could get ugly, he thought. This is where it all goes south. But he turned and gave the sign for the dick, hovering like a bird ready to spring, to open everything.

"Inspect all you want," he said, "but you'll only find grief in the end, trust me."

Von Pelt looked over his shoulder, bumped a glass-framed picture of Von Pelt's mother off a table and said, "Oops." The next thing was the grin....

What about that sort of inspection?

Edited by Mark Wolfe