Ways To Improve 'western Foreigner' Reputation Here

cgit6

Frankly, I don't care at all about my "reputation" as a westerner in Thailand. If I was the kind of person who placed much value on what others think of me, I don't think I would have moved to Thailand in the first place. Does this make me a bad person? Don't answer that, I don't care!

Unfortunately, Thailand does attract these types. They take advantage of the laid-back Thai culture and politeness of Thais who won't confront them. It doesn't lessen Thai's disgust of this type of foreigner, however. Hard to make real Thai friends with this type of attitude.

I never really thought of myself as a "type" because of course I am a totally unique individual, but like I said, I don't care as at the end of the day you really cannot control what other people think, but that doesn't mean I don't also form impressions about other people. I won't tell you what "type" I think you are, ha ha.

Look at politicians. They employ large staffs to try to control how the public perceives them. Yet, for the most part, most people end up hating them no matter how hard they try to be liked.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Frankly, I don't care at all about my "reputation" as a westerner in Thailand. If I was the kind of person who placed much value on what others think of me, I don't think I would have moved to Thailand in the first place. Does this make me a bad person? Don't answer that, I don't care!

I really worry about my mental health when I start agreeing with jingthing.

This thread is about farangs trying to impress farangs.

And I might add, what the hel_l does one's weight or age have to do with whether Thais might be "disimpressed" with a farang? Such lame arguments.

If you live here and have a perceptive bone in your body, you will learn what needs learning. Listening to other farangs? Nah!

My personal checklist:

• Take off the shorts to opt for long pants unless you're at the beach; off the beach, you look like an old man with a kid's whilrybird beanie to a Thai
  • Develop your patience and longsuffering; impatience and temper is disgusting to Thais and is a show of weakness.
  • Learn to flow with Thai traffic, not be the banner-waver for western driving habits
  • If you're over 40, be clean-shaven. With a beard you look like the Thai's stereotype image of a dirty old man. Even if you are a dirty old man, the Thais will appreciate you faking like you're not.

Pretty good list, but I will take personal exception to a few.

* I wear shorts most places and don't consider it rude. Immigration, long pants. As to whether I look like a kid .. um .. the beanie comment was way over the top.

* Too bad that you mixed impatience and anger. They are certainly not the same.

* Drive like a Thai? No chance. I tend to let people into a line of traffic .. wave them across the street. Kind of common courtesy.

* Clean shaven? Not a chance! A nice anecdote while living in Chiang Mai. Two women running the minimart in my building where ribbing me about facial hair. I asked the 12 year old daughter of one whether I should shave. "No, you look like a man."

Amusing banter,nice to see all the old stereottypes havnt fled to Cambodia or manila yet.

While not even reapproi Thai school mams expect falngs to behave like they are visiting grandmother

The Nana sexpat ,smelly slackpaker and Pattaya yahoos confirm to locals how superior they are.

Be yourself and any sober incomer in any situation will try and be sensitive

My officer who had a "gap' year in Aden and tried to re-educate the Ibans and Dayks of Borneo in a long forgotton

"confrontation' gave me some excellent advice that has worked for me

'LOOK AND LEARN'

Beyond the red light sin the vilages vice and sin are as alive and well as Makka or Rome they just don't flaunt it Would scantily clad drunken foreigners and their "ladies' be welcome singing urinationg brawling in the early hourss where you come from?

There are two kinds of people those who think there ae two kinds of people and those who don't

Really and truly you picked your avatar well. For only a grumpy ogre would hate on someone trying to offer positive advise and real world examples. If you feel bent out of shape by what I had to say, then that's a personal problem. Try having something constructive to say rather than just bitching about people who are trying to help. Sadly your "crabs in a barrel" attitude is not uncommon amongst some of us expats here.

Check out this barrel of live crabs....

post-55329-1255008010_thumb.jpg

See how they can fill the damm thing to the very top yet none of the crabs jump out and skitter a way?

That's because as soon as one crab gets up to the top to climb over another crab pinches it's legs and pulls em back down. Crabs are natural haters like ogre here that can't stand to see anyone better off or happier than them so they wanna hate and try and bring you down with them.

I hope some issan girl makes som tam out of you :D

Oh and as for the food chain comment, just because you can out eat everyone around you dose not place you at the top of the food chain slim.

Well done. You put 2+2 together and got 3. Almost there. :D Have another go, seeing as you missed the point. Perhaps if we try again with what you call "constructive advice" in return: Stop judging other people, their wives and so on... particularly if its just to fit in with the Thais, to improve "reputation"... Respect and reputation actually start with self respect...

As for your barrel metaphor - it's true people often see themselves in others rather than see others for who they are. Again if you'd grasped the points, along the lines of be happy with yourself, and your situation. Stop trying to put yourself up at the expense of others.... ironically what you yourself seem now to be trying to say after a little thought.... :D

BTW "Grumpy ogre"? Look at the avatar again. Think you got that wrong as well. "Grumpy"? Looks more like someone leaping, having fun and enjoying life to me.

"Ogre" - yes I'll give you that. Us whiteys are all ogres in Thailand in the eyes of many Thais... hence the thread here and our perceptions by Thais. Simply learn to live with who you are and be happy...

Shouldn't really need to spell it out, but the second post was a joke.... :)

"Are we there yet?"... :D

Edited by WhiteShrek

Well some people do have the luxury of being able to not care what others think.. and it is a luxury. Many people have to operate in public environments like offices etc etc and unfortunately, it can matter alot

That can be true anywhere. If you work in any country then you have to conform to the rules of the work place. Many offices have a dress code. Certainly schools and universities do for the professors, and, in some cases the students.

Yes, it is a luxury to have enough money to do whatever you wish. But, it's also wise to not intentionally upset the people around you, and it's wise to stay within the framework of the country you are in. I wouldn't go into a market place wearing a thong, even though I might bathe naked on a nud_e beach. I wouldn't make love on a public beach where others might watch, and I wouldn't make a drunken spectacle of myself anywhere.

Really and truly you picked your avatar well. For only a grumpy ogre would hate on someone trying to offer positive advise and real world examples. If you feel bent out of shape by what I had to say, then that's a personal problem. Try having something constructive to say rather than just bitching about people who are trying to help. Sadly your "crabs in a barrel" attitude is not uncommon amongst some of us expats here.

Check out this barrel of live crabs....

post-55329-1255008010_thumb.jpg

See how they can fill the damm thing to the very top yet none of the crabs jump out and skitter a way?

That's because as soon as one crab gets up to the top to climb over another crab pinches it's legs and pulls em back down. Crabs are natural haters like ogre here that can't stand to see anyone better off or happier than them so they wanna hate and try and bring you down with them.

I hope some issan girl makes som tam out of you :D

Oh and as for the food chain comment, just because you can out eat everyone around you dose not place you at the top of the food chain slim.

Well done. You put 2+2 together and got 3. Almost there. :D Have another go, seeing as you missed the point. Perhaps if we try again with what you call "constructive advice" in return: Stop judging other people, their wives and so on... particularly if its just to fit in with the Thais, to improve "reputation"... Respect and reputation actually start with self respect...

As for your barrel metaphor - it's true people often see themselves in others rather than see others for who they are. Again if you'd grasped the points, along the lines of be happy with yourself, and your situation. Stop trying to put yourself up at the expense of others.... ironically what you yourself seem now to be trying to say after a little thought.... :D

BTW "Grumpy ogre"? Look at the avatar again. Think you got that wrong as well. "Grumpy"? Looks more like someone leaping, having fun and enjoying life to me.

"Ogre" - yes I'll give you that. Us whiteys are all ogres in Thailand in the eyes of many Thais... hence the thread here and our perceptions by Thais. Simply learn to live with who you are and be happy...

Shouldn't really need to spell it out, but the second post was a joke.... :)

"Are we there yet?"... :D

Ahh now see here we go, Dude, It was constructive, and solicited advice, not a put down. What you are feebly attempting with me is a put down. But lets look at that closer, why do you feel the need put down with someone who is happy with their relationship and giving honest advice to others on how to get there? Why do you take it personaly and negatively?

Combine that with the fact that you think all Thais look down on you because of the color of your skin :D ,and we have a classic case of pisspoor self esteem. Stop wasting your time hating on me and go see Dr. Phil or something. Crab ass Ogre, quit your pinching I'm allready out of the barrell. :D

Mabye you can offer some good advise on improving the Westren rep or having a happy reltionship or waxing back hair or something constructive.

Ahh now see here we go, Dude, It was constructive, and solicited advice, not a put down. What you are feebly attempting with me is a put down. But lets look at that closer, why do you feel the need put down with someone who is happy with their relationship and giving honest advice to others on how to get there? Why do you take it personaly and negatively?

Combine that with the fact that you think all Thais look down on you because of the color of your skin :) ,and we have a classic case of pisspoor self esteem. Stop wasting your time hating on me and go see Dr. Phil or something. Crab ass Ogre, quit your pinching I'm allready out of the barrell. :D

Mabye you can offer some good advise on improving the Westren rep or having a happy reltionship or waxing back hair or something constructive.

Hey Huey the "advice" is already in the posts. Will leave you with the last word on the subject though and not retort. Consider this post a hand shake. Let's move on and enjoy the movie..... :D

* Clean shaven? Not a chance! A nice anecdote while living in Chiang Mai. Two women running the minimart in my building where ribbing me about facial hair. I asked the 12 year old daughter of one whether I should shave. "No, you look like a man."

She didn't know the English words for "dirty" and "old." :)

Edited by toptuan

Well some people do have the luxury of being able to not care what others think.. and it is a luxury. Many people have to operate in public environments like offices etc etc and unfortunately, it can matter alot

That can be true anywhere. If you work in any country then you have to conform to the rules of the work place. Many offices have a dress code. Certainly schools and universities do for the professors, and, in some cases the students.

Yes, it is a luxury to have enough money to do whatever you wish. But, it's also wise to not intentionally upset the people around you, and it's wise to stay within the framework of the country you are in. I wouldn't go into a market place wearing a thong, even though I might bathe naked on a nud_e beach. I wouldn't make love on a public beach where others might watch, and I wouldn't make a drunken spectacle of myself anywhere.

Exactly. And it is true everywhere. The attitude of "I dont care what others think" with the rationale "You cant control what they think" is a bad argument. Why? Because it assumes that if you cannot control what others think, you shouldnt even bother trying. I can't control whether or not my new boss will like me enough to keep me on, but I will dam_n well try to influence his opinion. And in Thailand, the way I would influence a Thai boss is not the same as how I would try to influence a Farang boss in somewhere like London. In both places, reputation of your race matters and in both places, the way you dress matters (just two pertinent examples, of course many other things matter also and moreso).

But really, people who say "I dont care what others think of me" are really just saying "Ive believe Ive been persecuted for a long time for being somehow different, and Ive found a coping mechanism" or "Ive tried to influence the people around me and their opinion of me but Ive failed and I quit." or "I'm too rich to care and need not rely on other humans" and then at the ultimate reduction, "Im a selfish person". What's selfishness got to do with it? Well, consideration of the sensitivities of others is only possible if you care what they think about you and your actions. Not being concerned that something about YOU might offend some group of people who come into contact with you is pretty selfish. We all screw our face at the guy who turns up drunk, wearing yesterdays shirt and smelling of urine. He probably doesnt care. Thankfully not everyone is like him. To such people I would ask: "Do you wish to live in a world where nobody cares what anyone thinks about anyone?" The answer is usually "thats not the same thing" which is simply wishful thinking.

She didn't know the English words for "dirty" and "old." :)

Comment not appreciated, Dude.

Why is it that if someone disagrees they get such crappy replies and suggestions as to one's character?

The truth of ones 'Personal opinion' should come as a given , not to be distorted or castigated by someone whos retorts are the product of fettered thinking , there are those amongst us who actualy think outside of the box , with real life opinions of our own volition that we should be allowed to air in response to what we read here on TV .

klikster

I really worry about my mental health when I start agreeing with jingthing.

Flattery will get you everywhere. :)

Excellent posts from both of you- What a low opinion many people seem to have about Thais- that "they" (meaning Thais as a nation) are so superficial as to care whether a tourist (and how can any one tell a tourist farang from a resident) wears shorts- so racist that they judge the up and coming young go-getter in a smartly taylored three piece in the the SET building by the same standards that they judge the drunken lout staggering outside Nana-

As Kikster implies- there's a lot of projection going on in this thread--- Like- 'how can YOU foreigners improve YOUR reputation in MY eyes." (- projecting MY tendency to stereotype the most superficial of cultural traits onto an entire nation- I judge the entire Chinese population of my country by the rude old ladys who wake me up every sunday morning with their goddamned mahjong- and therefore every body judges entire cultures by select examples).

And there might be something even worse at play- a kind of colonial mentality- we must keep up appearances old chap. Dont let the side down- lest the natives question our inate superiority.

I have heard the idea that there is good and bad in all people- (I assume that would include taste in hair styles, body mass index and fashion sense) more often from Thais than I have ever heard it from 'us'.

Give the Thais some credit. We might judge an entire population on the grounds of bad fashion sense or the behavior of a few- and SOME Thais might- but in my experience, most Thais recognize that people come in many shapes, sizes and flavors- regardless of their country of origin. Many of us would do well to learn this from the Thais- and not worry so much about "our' reputation. Worry about "MY' reputation. The rest of us will be fine.

Edited by blaze

I think Blaze this is not a reflection at all on Thai intelligence........one thing farangs could do is not be so quick to take offence......everywhere!!

Your post is highlighting the 'how does this reflect on me' brigade......but dressand behaviour surely does, even a little mud sticks.......so I believe comments along those lines are valid......I do not fault people for attempting to instill a little self respect.....when there is a possibility of being tarred with the same brush.

I think many people all over the world need to chill a little.....even me on a bad day!!!!..... :)

I think Blaze this is not a reflection at all on Thai intelligence........one thing farangs could do is not be so quick to take offence......everywhere!!

Your post is highlighting the 'how does this reflect on me' brigade......but dressand behaviour surely does, even a little mud sticks.......so I believe comments along those lines are valid......I do not fault people for attempting to instill a little self respect.....when there is a possibility of being tarred with the same brush.

I think many people all over the world need to chill a little.....even me on a bad day!!!!..... :)

Nicely put 473geo (and how did you know I'd had a bad day?)- I certainly have nothing against anyone striving for self respect- or dstriving to be respected by others. But I do think that the tendency to be a 'credit to our race' (and isnt that what this is about?) is insulting- we heard that a lot with respect to certain minorities in the 60s and 70s. And the implication was that the dominant white man was a closet KKK misogynest preppie- who looked no deeper than skin color or gender or fashion- to judge us. That notion was as degrading to the dominant group as it was to the minority (even though, in pockets, among the dominant group, it might have been somewhat deserved)- it wasn't very flattering to either.

My personal experience with Thais is that they are much more respective of individual differences within a culture than were many of the people I associated with in my home country. Certainly many Thais have stereotypes of westerners- but all we can do, I think, is be the person we want to be- and not cater to those who would tar us all with the same brush.

Exactly. And it is true everywhere. The attitude of "I dont care what others think" with the rationale "You cant control what they think" is a bad argument. Why? Because it assumes that if you cannot control what others think, you shouldnt even bother trying. I can't control whether or not my new boss will like me enough to keep me on, but I will dam_n well try to influence his opinion. And in Thailand, the way I would influence a Thai boss is not the same as how I would try to influence a Farang boss in somewhere like London. In both places, reputation of your race matters and in both places, the way you dress matters (just two pertinent examples, of course many other things matter also and moreso).

But really, people who say "I dont care what others think of me" are really just saying "Ive believe Ive been persecuted for a long time for being somehow different, and Ive found a coping mechanism" or "Ive tried to influence the people around me and their opinion of me but Ive failed and I quit." or "I'm too rich to care and need not rely on other humans" and then at the ultimate reduction, "Im a selfish person". What's selfishness got to do with it? Well, consideration of the sensitivities of others is only possible if you care what they think about you and your actions. Not being concerned that something about YOU might offend some group of people who come into contact with you is pretty selfish. We all screw our face at the guy who turns up drunk, wearing yesterdays shirt and smelling of urine. He probably doesnt care. Thankfully not everyone is like him. To such people I would ask: "Do you wish to live in a world where nobody cares what anyone thinks about anyone?" The answer is usually "thats not the same thing" which is simply wishful thinking.

good post oxford

Dont take him personally, this is just the internet and youre just words on his screen. :D

Sorry, OxfordWill. He made it personal with his asinine comment.

Whoa, dude! Get a thick skin.

Do you know what emoticons are?

Do you know their purpose?

If you don't, you should take a primer course on internet communication.

It'll keep you feather's less ruffled.

Until you take that course, I apologize for the imagined offense. :)

Dont take him personally, this is just the internet and youre just words on his screen. :D

Until you take that course, I apologize for the imagined offense. :)

Words trump emoticons. Actually, emoticons seem to be a "hold harmless" strategy for mitigating an insult. And your emoticon seemed to be laughing heartily at your own bar-room humor that is of questionable value in serious threads.

BTW, I'm just fine with my internet communications experience which dates back to USENET ci '95.

And I don't accept an apology that is offered based on multiple conditions.

My personal experience with Thais is that they are much more respective of individual differences within a culture than were many of the people I associated with in my home country. Certainly many Thais have stereotypes of westerners- but all we can do, I think, is be the person we want to be- and not cater to those who would tar us all with the same brush.

The dress point is actually one of the most important and I really believe if 100% of farangs wore a suit all of the time, the way we are treated would be unimaginably better. Of course, thats not possible, sensible or practical and its not the only thing which we do "wrong" "sometimes". But I'm using it as an example so dont take me literally. What you wear and how you "look" matters hugely. Much more than you seem to realise, which suggests to me although I am happy to be wrong, that you have not been living here a long enough time to learn this yet. Thats not a fault, so dont be offended.

Should it be the case? Who knows. But it is.

Until you take that course, I apologize for the imagined offense. :D

Words trump emoticons. Actually, emoticons seem to be a "hold harmless" strategy for mitigating an insult. And your emoticon seemed to be laughing heartily at your own bar-room humor that is of questionable value in serious threads.

BTW, I'm just fine with my internet communications experience which dates back to USENET ci '95.

And I don't accept an apology that is offered based on multiple conditions.

That chip is just too big to knock off your shoulder, isn't it? I'd hate to guess how many grudges you've piled up in life. :)

The dress point is actually one of the most important and I really believe if 100% of farangs wore a suit all of the time, the way we are treated would be unimaginably better. Of course, thats not possible, sensible or practical and its not the only thing which we do "wrong" "sometimes". But I'm using it as an example so dont take me literally. What you wear and how you "look" matters hugely. Much more than you seem to realise, which suggests to me although I am happy to be wrong, that you have not been living here a long enough time to learn this yet. Thats not a fault, so dont be offended.

There is a little snippet in the 'Siam or Thailand' thread which states that in WW2 when the name was changed to Thailand there was also an instruction to lose local language/dress and become more western in dress style..........you can't help thinking looking at some of the western standards available on view in some quarters.......many Thai must surely be wondering what that was all about!!!!!

Not offended at all. I have lived here full time for 8 years- spent a few months here every year since '82- worked here for a year in the mid 90s-As can be calculated- I'm not young- nor are most of my Thai acquaintances and friends. That may have something to do with it. I know that in the west young people are almost obsessively concerned with appearances- always have been- and it probably isn't much different here either- but I dont think most young people pay us old farts much attention regardless of how we dress.

Some people find suits offensive- they are the uniform of those who wish to convey dominance and power- like a military uniform worn by corporate soldiers. I would much prefer that my country be invaded by a bunch of foreigners wearing singlets and cargo pants- than wearing suits.

But certainly basic hygiene is important- that's just common sense.

But branching off a bit- I would hope that at some point the Thais start asking themselves what their reputation is, such that so many unappealing characters wash up on their shores each day.

Well- I'm being a bit facetious- but the bottom line is- I have no complaints about the way I am treated by Thais. In fact, I am surprised at how nicely I am treated- and my wardrobe is not- shall we say- top shelf. And I really don't feel like the treatment afforded to me by THais- strangers as well as acquaintances- is in any way shaped by their experiences with seeing unkempt foreigners (or kempt ones for that matter) on the BTS.

I sure have learned one thing though over the years- you walk around looking snooty- or angry- or miserable- and it won't matter how sweet you smell- how tussled your hair- or current your suit- Thais pick up on face very very fast= and amazingly, I think, accurately.

Edited by blaze

I love the way people use extremes when trying to promote their advice/thoughts.......

Suits vs cargo pants and singlets......each in their place acceptable.......but there is a middle road, where smart casual wear can also be adopted when neither of the aforementioned would be suitable, but the clothes, as you say Blaze, will not disguise an aggressive or arrogant attitude or approach to your surroundings and the people therein......perhaps we come back to the main point.....attitude......

^ agree about that. It is possible to look smart and be comfortable too. Not that im the clothing police, but most people will form some kind of judgement based on clothing. For those guys protesting, im sure you form judgements yourself..ill be very surprised if you dont.

BUT, although we form judgements, no need to be too harsh or stereotypical about it. Ie: not every Thai girl dressed in a bit of a sexy way can be presumed to be a bar girl. Not every Thai man not wearing a suit is uneducated and unmonied. Not every sweaty hairy bald old western guy is a sex tourist. Not every Western woman is a feminazi. A little respect and consideration for each other, no matter what country we are in, even if unreciprocated, isnt too hard really, is it?

THis thread asks how we can improve our reputation here. But what IS our reputation here?

And how can we be so sure that the way the Thais treat us as individuals is a reflection of the reputation that foreigners have and not a direct response to us personally?

In other words- if I am disrespected by a Thai, it may be because he has pre-judged me according to my reputation (ie- that I am a farang and 'just like all the others')- or it may be that he simply doesn't like me. That he picked up on something in my attitude that offended him- or maybe he's just having a bad day.

I have run into a lot of Thais who have stereotypes of north american culture- ie: that we sue one another at the drop of a hat, that we have no respect for family, authority or our social betters- that we have no religion- very little in terms of tradition- no sense of community etc etc etc. Do these stereotypes affect our reputation? Are we pre-judged by the way our values are depicted in the (crap) foreign movies and TV shows that Thais watch?