I Canceled My Holiday In Thailand

PaulUSA302

Paul please lets is know where you end up. We are all very interested in your life and travels.

/quote]

Please leave me out of the "We are all"

As OP has declared he is not coming to Thailand, how is discussion of his other destination options Thai related?

J.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not planning to take a holiday anyplace. I will just enjoy myself at home :)

I was in chat last night with a Thai Friend who told me that (Them being a Red Shirt) were going to be part of a big demonstration at the last two days of this month making demands and on and on. I won't go into details because it was just gossip and I can't validate anything I was told.

So I won't be there in body but I can be there in spirit :D

I am not planning to take a holiday anyplace. I will just enjoy myself at home :)

I was in chat last night with a Thai Friend who told me that (Them being a Red Shirt) were going to be part of a big demonstration at the last two days of this month making demands and on and on. I won't go into details because it was just gossip and I can't validate anything I was told.

There is no shame in being broke. It's OK. Not all republicans are rich.

Yes, the revolutionary redcoat provocateurs have not given up the ship quite yet. Not gossip. Fact:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/08/26...cs_30110681.php

Paul's non-plans to visit Bulgaria, Brazil, Thailand, Outer Mongola, North Korea, Puerto Rico, Cloud Cuckoo Land, and the Dominican Republic are of course Thailand related as Paul is a very famous man in Thailand. Thaksin isn't visiting Thailand either, but he is still big news here!

Edited by Jingthing

Paul's non-plans to visit Bulgaria, Brazil, Thailand, Outer Mongola, North Korea, Puerto Rico, Cloud Cuckoo Land, and the Dominican Republic are of course Thailand related as Paul is a very famous man in Thailand. Thaksin isn't visiting Thailand either, but he is still big news here!

Yes, he is a legend in his own lunchtime. :)

I am not planning to take a holiday anyplace. I will just enjoy myself at home :D

There is no shame in being broke. It's OK. Not all republicans are rich.

Yes, the revolutionary redcoat provocateurs have not given up the ship quite yet. Not gossip. Fact:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/08/26...cs_30110681.php

I am a newly baptized democrat Obama Fanboy now. I go with the flow :D

One thing I did ask my Red-shirt friend was if they could say for sure that the Airport would not be held again. Their reply? "555555555."

I don't think I could stand being stuck in the airport for an untold number of days :)

Edited by PaulUSA302

The O/P gave some insight as to why tourist numbers are down. He states that the current negatives in Thailand have forced him to cancel his holidays. We all know, in general terms, that tourist numbers are down, but, he explains why the individual tourist decides not to come.

He is immediately jumped on by a cartel of THAIVISA stormtroopers who apparently do nothing for years except sit glued to computers.

A man who averages 10 posts a day for 6 years calls someone else a MUPPET, just for writing his thoughts? A lot of people living here have similar thoughts, but for their own, or self imposed reasons, cannot make the change.

Should call himself Kermit, methinks

Thanks. I know that this is a hostile forum here. The guys here are cattier than a bunch of old prostitutes in a bordello rest-home. :)

Edited by PaulUSA302

Many of you may remember me from previous posts about my adventures in Thailand. In those posts I talked about some of the wonderful and great times that I have had in Thailand. I talked about the friends I made and the exciting adventures that seem to lend them self to me while in the land of smiles. I also talked about some of the bad things that happened to me and near me. Some of those experiences caused me to put a return visit to Thailand on hold. It turns out that if I had come I would have been stuck in Thailand at the Airport for an untold amount of time and that would have lead to an avalanche of problems here at home.

Earlier this year I decided that I would come back to Thailand and enjoy the company of the friends I made and explore more of Thailand and make some new friends. I was feeling eager to return and explore and enjoy the things that I have come to love about Thailand; the food, the shopping, the motor-bike taxis, the kindness of the people, the overall Thai style... I wanted that again. I also loved meeting visitors from all over the world who were vacationing in the land of smile.

With all the negative things happening there that I have read on this board as well as others, I have decided to move my holiday from October to December, but as the bad new continues, I have decided to cancel my holiday there altogether. I won't be visiting Thailand this year at all.

I hope and wish all the best for Thailand, its people and those who visit there.

So there you have it. If any of you wonder if all that is going on there has any effect of return visitors to Thailand, yes it does. It had an effect on me.

Of course we all remember you, how could we forget?

The news that you will not be visiting Thailand this year has been devastating amongst the population here.

I have already written to the prime minister telling him to get his act together and sort out all the crap that is going on in Thailand at the moment.

I’m sure you will receive a letter of apology from him and asking you to reconsider your decision not to visit Thailand.

Edited by sassienie

MEOW! LOL

I think all the men here are channeling Betty Davis with their comments :)

I forgot that this is a "Thai" board.... So I should say....

The men here have are meaner than an ignored Mamasan at her own Birthday Party in a beer bar. :D

Edited by PaulUSA302

indeed, and despite your good humor in dealing with them I suggest to all that the flaming, name calling and general abuse will stop now or more formal moderator action than mere deletion will be the result.

We are waiting with baited breath to hear about the wintry STAY-CATION that rocked the world. (Do Brits call these HOME-ADAYS?) Your redcoat 55555 amigos are correct, nobody really knows what is going to happen here in Thailand politically. Maybe we can see you back here in Pattaya NEXT year, stay in touch, ya hear?

Edited by Jingthing

I have travelled throughout the highlands and if you really, really want to get away from it, go to the top where you,ll find a town called Durness,, I could read my book there at 11pm.

Dont go in winter unless you like cold and cold.

The town of Durness is in the county of Sutherland.

Beautiful place at the right time of year

yes, they've had the elecy up there quite a while now. :)

often the idea of Thailand is better than the reality, so good you figured it out and moved on.

If you're tired of Thailand, you're tired of life!

That one made me laugh........I know you are smarter than that. There is a lot of "life" outside of Thailand........fun life. And many places are better and more interesting..........especially if you have "been there and done it." Once you have seen through the Thailand myth, there is really is not much that is special.

whatever the reason for canceling. You've been in thailand long enough to know already its not a stable country and yet you keep coming. Example of unstability in thailand are

1. in the past 30 years 18 military coups

2. Continued problems in Thailand's Southern Region for the last 5 years

3. Bombs that exploded in bangkok during new years day ( although it didn't really make a lot of news, and casualities were not high

As someone who works in the tourism industry I still see people coming. and business has been especially good for 3 & 4 star hotels, this may not be the case in bangkok. Just because you don't come doesn't mean other people aren't coming. even now as swine flu, global economy and thailand problems are ongoing there still arriving here as of today. maybe people will travel somewhere else besides here this is true. But for now though I still see tourist coming.

Puerto Rico is very dull. Does not have the flavor of Thailand. The crime problem in the Dominican Republic is incredible.

You cannot walk down the street. All my friends who live there suggest only using cabs, or drivers, and not even walking

one block at night, in the capital. Though there are problems in Thailand, the crime problem is still very minimal. There

is little fear here, which is great. Though Thailand is suffering at the moment, I ask myself what the alternatives are. Any

thoughts from the peanut gallery?

whatever the reason for canceling. You've been in thailand long enough to know already its not a stable country and yet you keep coming. Example of unstability in thailand are

1. in the past 30 years 18 military coups

2. Continued problems in Thailand's Southern Region for the last 5 years

3. Bombs that exploded in bangkok during new years day ( although it didn't really make a lot of news, and casualities were not high

I really don't think that's right. That would be a military coup every 2 years (less, actually). But, I'm not denying your claim that Thailand in an unstable country.

The most reliable information I came across indicates that there has been 11 military coups since 1932.

often the idea of Thailand is better than the reality, so good you figured it out and moved on.

Jingthing, I've got to assume that you're one of the members who rushes to defend Thailand here at TV whenever anybody points out facts or makes commments about Thailand that you don't like to hear. :)

Sure, Thailand has good things going for it, but it's certainly not the "be all and end all" destination in the world. There are parts of Mexico that put Thailand to shame for beautiful beaches, friendly locals, cheap tasty food, lovely senoritas...and so on. If I were still living in N.A., I would happily take my vacations in Mexico or Cuba over Thailand.

indeed, and despite your good humor in dealing with them I suggest to all that the flaming, name calling and general abuse will stop now or more formal moderator action than mere deletion will be the result.

oooooh SBBKK!!

He, our ever-esteemed, fearless OP, Paul, clearly loves it and since there are posters willing to prop up his ego with a bit of an attention trip why not let the masses humour him..at least there's a bit of light hearted humour involved...

instead of that other nasty tourist police bashing thread thats going on, and to which i might add, at least Paul seems to handle himself a lot better than some :)

Jingthing, I've got to assume that you're one of the members who rushes to defend Thailand here at TV whenever anybody points out facts or makes commments about Thailand that you don't like to hear. :)

Sure, Thailand has good things going for it, but it's certainly not the "be all and end all" destination in the world. There are parts of Mexico that put Thailand to shame for beautiful beaches, friendly locals, cheap tasty food, lovely senoritas...and so on. If I were still living in N.A., I would happily take my vacations in Mexico or Cuba over Thailand.

up to you. Never been to the Americas and probably never will be, 'cause, and contrary to SEA and South Asia, of an absolute lack of desire to go there, except Alaska eventually.

With so much bad press lately involving Thailand may I be excused from becoming slightly concerned over my decision to base myself in BKK shortly for business purposes? However the decision is now made and I hope that my 28 years in various parts of a turbulent Middle East will provide me with the necessary survival skills. In the many albeit short visits made to LOS over the years I have met with nothing but courtesy and respect from the Thais themselves, but unfortunately not always from my fellow Brits. admittedly in the bar scene. That's the way of life. So here I come BKK and I look forward to the challenges.

Paul if you know some Spanish check out Costa Rica. It is a great value & lots to do ..not to many Go Go bars- A lot of good Catholic girls that can be fun though. It really pays to bone up on your Spanish if you go . Be careful going through the downtown area it is a wee bit shady. After that when you are off the beaten track it is all Spanish spoken.

If you rent a ride be sure to check all 4 rims are out of round on the rental car or truck. The roads are like Hana in Maui in the 80's.

Good luck

Many of you may remember me from previous posts about my adventures in Thailand. In those posts I talked about some of the wonderful and great times that I have had in Thailand. I talked about the friends I made and the exciting adventures that seem to lend them self to me while in the land of smiles. I also talked about some of the bad things that happened to me and near me. Some of those experiences caused me to put a return visit to Thailand on hold. It turns out that if I had come I would have been stuck in Thailand at the Airport for an untold amount of time and that would have lead to an avalanche of problems here at home.

Earlier this year I decided that I would come back to Thailand and enjoy the company of the friends I made and explore more of Thailand and make some new friends. I was feeling eager to return and explore and enjoy the things that I have come to love about Thailand; the food, the shopping, the motor-bike taxis, the kindness of the people, the overall Thai style... I wanted that again. I also loved meeting visitors from all over the world who were vacationing in the land of smile.

With all the negative things happening there that I have read on this board as well as others, I have decided to move my holiday from October to December, but as the bad new continues, I have decided to cancel my holiday there altogether. I won't be visiting Thailand this year at all.

I hope and wish all the best for Thailand, its people and those who visit there.

So there you have it. If any of you wonder if all that is going on there has any effect of return visitors to Thailand, yes it does. It had an effect on me.

Ether you are a troll, or you were lying about the wonderful time you had, or you forgot what a wonderful time you had, or you are just TV brainwashed. Whatever it is, I can tell you that you've just made a really dumb decision. Thailand is and always will be a great place for a holiday and to live, if you can accept that Thailand is a sovereign country with it's own customs and traditions and most of all it's own mind set.

Paul please lets is know where you end up. We are all very interested in your life and travels.

Not sure where to recomend to go for a loney guy but where ever you go I am sure you will make friends. Just go and have fun.

Sorry, have to disagree. Paul, buddy we are not the least interested in your sad-puppy trials and tribulations, your conundrum of not knowing whether to 'bank' or spend your holiday, your disolusionment with your unmet expectations etc. etc. Stay home, tune into the Discovery Channel and order in some haggis. Happy Travels.