I Canceled My Holiday In Thailand

PaulUSA302

Many of you may remember me from previous posts about my adventures in Thailand. In those posts I talked about some of the wonderful and great times that I have had in Thailand. I talked about the friends I made and the exciting adventures that seem to lend them self to me while in the land of smiles. I also talked about some of the bad things that happened to me and near me. Some of those experiences caused me to put a return visit to Thailand on hold. It turns out that if I had come I would have been stuck in Thailand at the Airport for an untold amount of time and that would have lead to an avalanche of problems here at home.

Earlier this year I decided that I would come back to Thailand and enjoy the company of the friends I made and explore more of Thailand and make some new friends. I was feeling eager to return and explore and enjoy the things that I have come to love about Thailand; the food, the shopping, the motor-bike taxis, the kindness of the people, the overall Thai style... I wanted that again. I also loved meeting visitors from all over the world who were vacationing in the land of smile.

With all the negative things happening there that I have read on this board as well as others, I have decided to move my holiday from October to December, but as the bad new continues, I have decided to cancel my holiday there altogether. I won't be visiting Thailand this year at all.

I hope and wish all the best for Thailand, its people and those who visit there.

So there you have it. If any of you wonder if all that is going on there has any effect of return visitors to Thailand, yes it does. It had an effect on me.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. I have been exchanging e-mails with some of my friends and they understand but they think my decision not to come is based on the swine flu.... I don't have the heart to tell them that the swine flu has nothing to do with my decision.....

Thanks. I have been exchanging e-mails with some of my friends and they understand but they think my decision not to come is based on the swine flu.... I don't have the heart to tell them that the swine flu has nothing to do with my decision.....

Have you decided on an alternative for your vacation?

Many of you may remember me from previous posts about my adventures in Thailand. In those posts I talked about some of the wonderful and great times that I have had in Thailand. I talked about the friends I made and the exciting adventures that seem to lend them self to me while in the land of smiles. I also talked about some of the bad things that happened to me and near me. Some of those experiences caused me to put a return visit to Thailand on hold. It turns out that if I had come I would have been stuck in Thailand at the Airport for an untold amount of time and that would have lead to an avalanche of problems here at home.

Earlier this year I decided that I would come back to Thailand and enjoy the company of the friends I made and explore more of Thailand and make some new friends. I was feeling eager to return and explore and enjoy the things that I have come to love about Thailand; the food, the shopping, the motor-bike taxis, the kindness of the people, the overall Thai style... I wanted that again. I also loved meeting visitors from all over the world who were vacationing in the land of smile.

With all the negative things happening there that I have read on this board as well as others, I have decided to move my holiday from October to December, but as the bad new continues, I have decided to cancel my holiday there altogether. I won't be visiting Thailand this year at all.

I hope and wish all the best for Thailand, its people and those who visit there.

So there you have it. If any of you wonder if all that is going on there has any effect of return visitors to Thailand, yes it does. It had an effect on me.

Youve just bagged yourself a bargain break to Scotland havent you ?? come on be honest ,,,,,

Have you decided on an alternative for your vacation?

I am probably going to bank my 4 weeks and use them later. I thought about selling them back to my employer but I don't need the money... So I may split it, Bank half and sell back half.

I thought about Puerto Rico the Dominican Republic but they don't seem to appeal to me at the moment.

Youve just bagged yourself a bargain break to Scotland havent you ?? come on be honest ,,,,,

I never thought of going there. I wonder how that would work out as related to money spent? I spend an average of $5,000 for a 4 week stay in Thailand. I wonder what $5,000 USD would get me for a 4 week stay in Scotland?

Its cold there in December, you need a tropical vacation, buddy. I know you like the action spots. DR is much more dangerous than Thailand. As long as you're walking on the wild side, have you ever been to Rio? I think you'd like it. Many people who like Thailand also like Brazil.

Edited by Jingthing

Its cold there in December, you need a tropical vacation, buddy. I know you like the action spots. DR is much more dangerous than Thailand. As long as you're walking on the wild side, have you ever been to Rio? I think you'd like it. Many people who like Thailand also like Brazil.

I don't know anyone in Rio so that is out. I have Friends in the Dominican and in Puerto Rico. I have been to Puerto Rico before and I love the beaches and the food there and the people are exceedingly nice and helpful.

One of my friends is in Honduras and constantly asks me to visit. I don't think I will be visiting Honduras! LOL

If I would go anyplace it would be either Vietnam or Malaysia. They both seemed to be very inviting from what I saw on the Travel Channel and the food looked great from when I watched Anthony Bourdain's tour through each location.

I wonder what $5,000 USD would get me for a 4 week stay in Scotland?

Not a lot to be honest. The UK is expensive.

BTW, I think you also missed the joke that nigelandjan was making.

End of the day,,,,what you looking for.

In Scotland you,ll meet lots of Germans( not a derogartry remark) and off shore oil workers...( I know cos I been there ok!)

And Scots.

I,ve spent carnival time in Brazil but it aint until Feb/Mar.

Anyway,,,if anyone is on for a trip to Brazil I can recommend Rio (of course) and Foz Du Iguaso( largest water fall in South America,,very beautiful).

Edited by soihok

If I would go anyplace it would be either Vietnam or Malaysia. They both seemed to be very inviting from what I saw on the Travel Channel and the food looked great from when I watched Anthony Bourdain's tour through each location.

At that time of the year, I'd recommend Malaysia, the warm nights & mornings are more to my liking.

One mans meat & all that.

The family Boo are packing up & moving back for 6months minimum in December. I haven't given a thought to the negative, shit happens. Good luck wherever you end up going to.

OIC. You like the rice. Say no more, say no more ... Vietnam and Malaysia are both good choices.

Yeah, and to hear some of my friends go on and on about Vietnam... They painted a romantic picture of the country and of the people there. The memories were related to me in such a way that I am sure I could smell the air they smelled during their life there. I could almost imagine the faces of the people they saw, imagined the foods they ate.... When they told me how they were taught the art of massage, I imagined I was a fly on the wall there.

Even their sticky situations were treasured moments to be shared.

But I imagine that the Vietnam they once knew is long gone. hel_l... The Thailand I read about is not the Thailand I realized once off the plane. LOL :)