2nd Hand Car Dealer

Marksamui

Does it exist?

I am thinking about buying a car, but might go for 2nd hand if I can get something decent.

Say 1 yr old, sold with a warrenty for a year at least.

Is it possible or are all the 2nd hand cars deathtraps?

Anyone who could reccommend a dealer?

Is there a car breakdown service in Thailand, silimar to AA or RAC?

Thanks

Second cars are surprisingly expensive in Phuket and a one year old car (if you can even find one for sale) will be almost the same price as a brand new car, even a 2 year old car is very expensive. Best buy second hand in Bangkok. I recommend that you just buy new.

If you want a second hand dealer try www.suremotor.net in Phuket Town. I bought a car from them years ago and it worked out OK.

Depends on what you want to buy?

If it was a small Honda or Toyota then a 1 year old would make little scene........ maybe you could save 50,000 baht..

new you would maybe find one with extras free even 1 years insurance free, so would cancel out the 50k savings + you would have a new 1st owner car.

If it was a small Honda or Toyota then a 1 year old would make little scene........ maybe you could save 50,000 baht..

new you would maybe find one with extras free even 1 years insurance free, so would cancel out the 50k savings + you would have a new 1st owner car.

For what car would it make sense to buy second hand? IMO for none, but you seem to think differently?

Looking at the website recommended it looks like the depreciation is better that 50,000.....

I see a 2009 vios for 460,000. Brand New the Vios start at over 600,000.....

Looking at the website recommended it looks like the depreciation is better that 50,000.....

Vios starts at 499,000 according to the Toyota website.

Vios starts at 499,000 according to the Toyota website.

You are right..

However I can see from the picture that this one is the basic auto which starts at 549,000. So the saving is 90,000. Depreciation should be bigger than that. This dealer looks to be expensive.

On the new car side I was offered the free insurance and I think 10,000 off the price and 10,000 worth of extras. That was on a Toyota Vios 1.5G A/T from the Pearl Toyota dealership which has a list price of 664,000. Any ideas how much further they would be willing to drop to make a sale. Without finance. I did not think it was a great reduction, as the insurance would be offered nationwide I think and so they would get a good rate from the insurance co. The extras 10,000 is not great and only 10,000 cash!!!

But I don't know where I should be countering, top of my head says I should want a discount package of probably 50,000 but not sure if I am way off the mark on that....?

For what car would it make sense to buy second hand? IMO for none, but you seem to think differently?

Lots as long as there not Honda or Toyota..

Like a 1 year old Chevrolet Optra LT would be 200,000 baht or more cheaper..

Volvo S80 you could save something like 600,000 baht

Range Rover buying a 1yr old one you would save something like 1.5 million

All about Brand name, a pickup by Chevrolet, Tata, Ford, Mazda would be a good buy 1 yr old, but not a Isuzu or Toyota...

I bought new a Honda Jazz in 2004 and paid 603,000 baht, I exchanged it for a 2nd hand Audi A6, 4 years later, [the Jazz sold 2 weeks later for 488,000 baht !!]

Really depends on how long you are going to keep your car

Edit: The D-Max bought new last year, the old one was 4 years old had done 460,000 km and lost 230,000 baht.

Edited by ignis

You are better of buying new, when i was looking to buy a car i noticed all 10 year old cars had approx 120000 kms on speedo which is a load of BS and they wanted around 300000 baht for them, i bought a toyota vios s which is top of the range for 650000 and gave me free 1 year first class insurance and a extended 3 year warranty with free labour i only pay for parts and oil.

Lots of good advice above. I just went through this whole process, new vs. used, and decided to buy new. Generally speaking, and depending on what you want, it really does make more sense to buy new, especially if you are financing. Much better interest rate. Farang may need 30-50% down to be approved depending on various factors, and there are plenty of people reporting having put less down. At 50% I was approved with no Thai gaurentor and I have very poor credit rating in America. I have a workpermit now for 6 months, and needed a letter of employment stating salary and term of contract, which for me was indefinate. I am going to Bangkok tomorrow to pick up a new Yaris, which Toyota Phuket told me I would have to wait 3 months for, I can get in 1 day in Bangkok. Also, Bankok dealers are offering 20 to 30k off sticker price (sticker price is same as website price) Where Phuket only offers 10k off, plus BKK threw in several options/accessories for free including 1 year 1st class insurance.

For used, I don't recommend buying from a used dealer in Phuket unless it's something you really want, and then bargin the hel_l out of them, they are desperate now. Used cars at these dealers seem to be 30k to 70k more expensive in Phuket. Lots of Thais make a business of buying cars in Bangkok, drive them to Phuket, and sell them for much more. I bought a used truck in Bangkok I found on www.cars4thais.com and it went well. It was 50k less than comparable trucks in Phuket. The Thai lady owning the private dealer even spotted me 25k baht to pay back later! (Tiew 081 912 8090) I made 30k profit when I sold it 6 months later in Phuket. The exception to buying in Phuket is if you can find an expat to buy from. Sometimes they need to leave in a hurry and need to sell fast. Often they (we) don't like to sell to Thai's. For example, the few Thai's I had calling me about my truck would call annoyingly often, lowballing me by 150,000 baht. Others would make appointments to meet with me somewhere then not show, and turn off their mobile. Really annoying.

A good used car website for Phuket:

In Thai: www.c2phuket.com

Using Google translator: http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y...history_state0=

And on the issue of breakdown support, this should be covered by your 1st class insurance. I broke down once in front of the police box at the Heroines monument and the surprisingly helpful police push the the truck out of the roadway, and even called a tow truck for us. A full on proper flat bed truck based out of Phuket Town. 081-970-2019 and 081-958-0638.

Edited by Scubabuddha

Does it exist?

I am thinking about buying a car, but might go for 2nd hand if I can get something decent.

Say 1 yr old, sold with a warrenty for a year at least.

Is it possible or are all the 2nd hand cars deathtraps?

Anyone who could reccommend a dealer?

Is there a car breakdown service in Thailand, silimar to AA or RAC?

Thanks

You will find little value in buying a second hand car as the going rates are as near to the new car prices, but with less hassle. I have been searching for many years and have yet to find a decent second hand car for a reasonable price. Forget comparing car prices and subsequent deprication to your home country. They overly bouy up the 2nd hand market here to, I suspect, keep the poor from owning too many cars.

I have noticed they are not big on completing servicing schedules and you may find that your dream car has never had a dealership service. Toyotas have a service card that you can get swiped at a Toyota garage, it will tell you of any service history and accidents! Honda still use log books.

2nd hand dealers are apt in stripping down a car completely and throughly cleaning everything to make it look brand new ish, but they often don't put them back together too well, in my experience. they might also chuck a set of alloys on to make it sellable with little regard or understanding of the difference they have made to the safety of the ride.

In frustration I bought a new car. then out of fugalness I bought a 2nd hand one. I miss the first one so much. :)

Forget comparing car prices and subsequent deprication to your home country.

Not 100% true, there are some older cars that are far cheaper here than you would ever find in the UK in the same condition.

As I said before the only real savings on a 1 yr old would be buying an imported model, or not the main models...

Plenty of Mazda 3's about 1 year old for 200 - 250,000 less than new so my thinking would be a good buy.

Edited by ignis

Not 100% true, there are some older cars that are far cheaper here than you would ever find in the UK in the same condition.

Like ??

As I said before the only real savings on a 1 yr old would be buying an imported model, or not the main models...

Plenty of Mazda 3's about 1 year old for 200 - 250,000 less than new so my thinking would be a good buy.

Audis unliked, lots of great A6's for the price of an old ropey honda.

Anyone who have a theory for why second hand cars are so overprized here.

Do they see a car as an investment on the same line as property!

Most new cars here are 30-40% cheaper here than where I come from, but the second hand car market not follow any logic IMO.

Like ?? I said older... VW Golf 2.8 VR6 same condition in UK would be over double the price.[seen 2 For Sale recently].. Triumph Stag had a Nissan V8 engine other than that was pristine condition.... Dark Blue Triumph 2.5 Pi but had a 24 valve 6 cylinder Lexus engine, Chocolate Brown Rover P6 V8 bought by a Thai not far from where I live, a number of A1 condition VW Bus and Campers... ALL a lot less than you would find in the UK.. Lots of older rare cars here in 1st class condition, the odd few that I have seen /looked at here that have been For Sale are well under 1/2 the price you would pay in the UK if you could even find one.

Audis unliked, lots of great A6's for the price of an old ropey honda.

Yes looked at an Accord, but my A6 was a lot better and cheaper

I think that ultimately it would come down to budget, and then comparing what new cars would be available at your target price, versus what's in the secondhand market at the same. I agree with a previous poster about perhaps the classified sections of local and national newspapers is a good potential source, I've seen a few reasonably priced cars advertised by departing expats recently. Also depends on what your car will be used for of course, i.e. long journeys/load carrying etc, or just a town runaround.

I have 2 cars, both bought new (Toyota Fortuner/Honda Accord) 2 and 1 years ago respectively. Had good service from both garages, but very little discount could be negotiated (they're not interested in whether you're a cash buyer or not). Free insurance and options represent about as much as you can get.

Edited by pagallim

I have just been though this and having looked at the used car prices decided to buy new. Given the fact that this gives the 1 year warranty, discounted servicing and free insurance. I collect my new Isuzu today!

If i had found any used cars going for 1/2 the book price of the UK then i would have probably just bought one of them, i didnt find any though :-(

Anyone who have a theory for why second hand cars are so overprized here.

Do they see a car as an investment on the same line as property!

Most new cars here are 30-40% cheaper here than where I come from, but the second hand car market not follow any logic IMO.

I think that there are several factors here. Car ownership is still aspirational for most Thais, plus the market isn't flooded with ex rental or lease vehicles as many other countries are. Classic case of supply and demand, with in the main the latter outstripping the former, which means a lot of overpriced rubbish in the secondhand market. I've also found that in countries where new car dealers don't get involved in the second hand market (such as accepting trade-ins etc), market prices of used cars tend to be higher.

I have just been though this and having looked at the used car prices decided to buy new. Given the fact that this gives the 1 year warranty, discounted servicing and free insurance. I collect my new Isuzu today!

If i had found any used cars going for 1/2 the book price of the UK then i would have probably just bought one of them, i didnt find any though :-(

I'm sure you paid a lot less then the same Isuzu model in the UK.... As it is Isuzu it will be worth a lot more than other makes in a few years when you sell it

I said older... VW Golf 2.8 VR6 same condition in UK would be over double the price.[seen 2 For Sale recently]..

a number of A1 condition VW Bus and Campers... ALL a lot less than you would find in the UK..

Really ?? I see old rough rotten to death bugs getting 100k here where they would get maybe 500 quid back in the west.. A nice condition bug fetches 150 - 250k baht which is double the uk price for a clean basic runner bug about the same.

Campers here starting at 100k baht (plenty at 2k UK) really ??

I own a VW golf, its old old 1.8 and its value in the uk would be 300 - 500 quid.. here its 150 - 200k baht !!

In the UK you can find 2.8 VR6 models down for 600 quid (autotrader right now) so if you line me up with a 2.8 VR6 for 30k baht I am all over it.. By the time you get to 1500 GBP to 2000 GBP say 80 - 120k baht) you get clean full service history, leather, uber tidy examples.

So can you please share the links for the 2 you have seen cheaper than this ??

I said older... VW Golf 2.8 VR6 same condition in UK would be over double the price.[seen 2 For Sale recently]..

a number of A1 condition VW Bus and Campers... ALL a lot less than you would find in the UK..

Really ?? I see old rough rotten to death bugs getting 100k here where they would get maybe 500 quid back in the west.. A nice condition bug fetches 150 - 250k baht which is double the uk price for a clean basic runner bug about the same.

Campers here starting at 100k baht (plenty at 2k UK) really ??

Strange all the split screen bus/campers I found For Sale in the UK were between 13,000 - 18,000 GBP in perfect condition, even on ebay with bids in good condition appear to start at 9.000 GBP.... one that has 6 mins to go has a bid of 12,650 GBP

I own a VW golf, its old old 1.8 and its value in the uk would be 300 - 500 quid.. here its 150 - 200k baht !!

In the UK you can find 2.8 VR6 models down for 600 quid (autotrader right now) so if you line me up with a 2.8 VR6 for 30k baht I am all over it.. By the time you get to 1500 GBP to 2000 GBP say 80 - 120k baht) you get clean full service history, leather, uber tidy examples.

Strange also did a search the cheapest in the UK I could find same year, colour, 5 door, white leather, auto, air con was 3,999 GBP the most extensive but low miles was 4,999 GBP

So can you please share the links for the 2 you have seen cheaper than this ??

Ahh now some special collective late 60's splitty yes, those are rare and sought after in the UK, that wasnt what you specified tho and its quite possible theres a splitty here that doesnt have the collectors for it in this country ?? That said I havent ever seen a splitty here for any money. Do you have a link for one ??

But a regular combi VW pop top camper.. 2k GBP starting.. by 3k or 4k you have tidy ones. Have owned 3 of them in UK.

As to the VR6.. Just go on autotrader.co.uk and put the model in, cheapest one is 600 quid, and theres loads of them under 2 or 3k. LOADS.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...rch_full=SEARCH

Even so if you have seen clean low miles ones at 4 - 5k GBP (220 - 270 ish baht) and those are 'double' the price of ones you have seen locally.. I am still dead keen, a VR6 for 100k baht to 150k baht sounds a steal..

That said I havent ever seen a splitty here for any money. Do you have a link for one ??

No sorry, it is only what I have seen near me, the 1967 Blue & white one was not there yesterday afternoon, There is a green & white one of the same period used every day on the road going down to the main road by me, no idea if it is For Sale...

I am still dead keen, a VR6 for 100k baht to 150k baht sounds a steal..

Will look to see if it is still there when I pass next week, it was 160,000 baht.

There is one For Sale on www.one2car.com, but is 318,000 baht.!!

That said I havent ever seen a splitty here for any money. Do you have a link for one ??

No sorry, it is only what I have seen near me, the 1967 Blue & white one was not there yesterday afternoon, There is a green & white one of the same period used every day on the road going down to the main road by me, no idea if it is For Sale...

I am still dead keen, a VR6 for 100k baht to 150k baht sounds a steal..

Will look to see if it is still there when I pass next week, it was 160,000 baht.

There is one For Sale on www.one2car.com, but is 318,000 baht.!!

160k on a VR6 is great money for Thailand.. Stunning in fact.. 300 or so is more like what I would expect and at almost 6k about 10x the price of the cheapest one in the link I sent.

Where are you located ?? This is on Phuket ??

Someone actually was interested in my Golf and so I could work a way of upgrading to the VR6.

Where are you located ??

50 km North of Bangkok, so yes a long way from Phuket.. and a long way off buying a 1 yr old car as the OP was asking

OK on Phuket theres a price premium on second hand cars, my last one came from up north because of it..

Genuinely interested in a clean 160k VR6 Golf.

I think that there are several factors here. Car ownership is still aspirational for most Thais, plus the market isn't flooded with ex rental or lease vehicles as many other countries are. Classic case of supply and demand, with in the main the latter outstripping the former, which means a lot of overpriced rubbish in the secondhand market. I've also found that in countries where new car dealers don't get involved in the second hand market (such as accepting trade-ins etc), market prices of used cars tend to be higher.

I think its simply that vehicles here are cheap to buy new and very cheap to service and repair AND there is no MOT (goverment test) to enforce safety. :)

From what I've seen looking at the 2nd hand market the last few months for a Euro car, the tents are like most businesses here in Phuket.  Not selling, keep the price up?  I've seen most every decent car stay on the same websites for months now because the tents want too much.  When a reasonably priced private car comes up for sale, it goes within a few days......only to be seen on a tents website 200K higher the next week in some circumstances.