Report:99% Of “american Breakfast” Served In Phuket

churchill

I cant believe this has made it to the News Clippings section.... did anyone actually bother to see where this so called "News" was posted?

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=815

so what's the next news source? The Fortean Times?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!
And very healthy too :)

That's what I was thinking - A heart attack special.

I lived in Texas for 6 months, and although I never became a fan of grits, I got to like biscuits and gravy quite a lot. Before living in Southern USA, the whole Idea of buscuits and gravy was disgusting to me.

Someone else mentioned the "American fried rice" that's offered in Thai restaurants. <deleted> is that? I've never see such an unappealing combination of food in all my life. After many years living here, I haven't been able to order this and don't imagine I ever will.

I cant believe this has made it to the News Clippings section.... did anyone actually bother to see where this so called "News" was posted?

http://www.notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=815

so what's the next news source? The Fortean Times?

Lighten up, everyone else got that it was put here to lighten the mood. :)

An american breakfast aint right if it aint got grits, sunnyside up eggs cooked in bacon grissle oil, or fresh biscuits covered in sausage gravy. mmmm now thats good eatin!
And very healthy too :)

That's what I was thinking - A heart attack special.

I lived in Texas for 6 months, and although I never became a fan of grits, I got to like biscuits and gravy quite a lot. Before living in Southern USA, the whole Idea of buscuits and gravy was disgusting to me.

Someone else mentioned the "American fried rice" that's offered in Thai restaurants. <deleted> is that? I've never see such an unappealing combination of food in all my life. After many years living here, I haven't been able to order this and don't imagine I ever will.

I've have seen Thais order American fried rice. It would be funny to watch them visit the US and try to get that there. I am sure they complain that the American food is better in Thailand!

Edited by Jingthing

I've have seen Thais order American fried rice. It would be funny to watch them visit the US and try to get that there. I am sure they complain that the American food is better in Thailand!

Sounds like the people who go to China and can't find "chinese food" anywhere. :)

If you don't believe me, just listen to people in Pudong's cafes during layovers.

The first (and only) time I went in a Starbucks was in Bangkok and I ordered a a large iced coffee for me and my wife and some sort of iced chocolate and a couple of cookies for my daughter.

I handed over a 500 baht note and waited in vain for some change. Then I looked at the price list.

Now I know we shouldn't compare but a large Starbucks iced coffee is nearly the same as the daily salary of a waiter round my way. Could you imagine walking in to a Starbucks back home (in my case the UK), ordering a large iced coffee and the dude behind the counter saying "50 quid please."

As California sets most trends for the rest of the world, wait five to ten more years and there may appear some more interesting and healthy variations on "American breakfasts'

to wit: avocados, fresh plain home-made yogurt, a few blueberries/raspberries on the side. Baked home fries cooked with just a bit of oil. Plus breads that are bursting with flavor and nutrition, and are more like muffins than bread. Perhaps in 15 to 20 years, a few Thais chefs will be ready to find out about the amazing qualities and flavors of hemp nut items.

Meanwhile in Thailand, a few Thai chefs are slowly waking up to the concept that bread is something other than paper white starch, and that fried eggs (including kai jiew) don't have to be smothered in 3 day old oil - besides under- or over-cooked.

No Amer.breakfast in any Thai city comes within a mile of what I can whip up at home, and I'm not even much of a cook.

Edited by brahmburgers

The Islander just off bangla road.. I had the best brekkie ever there yesterday. Amazing sausage, 3 bits of proper bacon, 2 eggs potatoes beans and 2 toast with proper coffee for 200 baht.. very very good!!!!! and served hot. Also have english newspapers :)

"Ever" in your life mate? Mmm......

Best one ive had in phuket :D

The best one ever i make myself hehehehe

Great Breakfasts at AJ's Bar and Bistro right on Rawai Beach (Nai Harn End) English,Canadian & American, Pancakes French Toast good Bacon and Mr Moos Pork Sausages (English Butcher) superb Freshly Ground Coffee no Freshly squeezed Orange Juice but great Fresh Fruit shakes. I take along my own Black Pudding from Villas as its an aquired taste.

The settting is amazing looking out over the sea to Racha Yai & Noi and very reasonable price (Try the Fish and Chips)

Great Breakfasts at AJ's Bar and Bistro right on Rawai Beach (Nai Harn End) English,Canadian & American, Pancakes French Toast good Bacon and Mr Moos Pork Sausages (English Butcher) superb Freshly Ground Coffee no Freshly squeezed Orange Juice but great Fresh Fruit shakes. I take along my own Black Pudding from Villas as its an aquired taste.

The settting is amazing looking out over the sea to Racha Yai & Noi and very reasonable price (Try the Fish and Chips)

Hello AJ, how's the bar going?

i have seen post on this board where people complain that vietnamese noodle soup in thailand or even in vietnam isn't the real thing like the vietnamese noodle soup those experts have been eating in the USA. funny right?

it's also more or less debatable what is 'real' coffee, 'real' 'beer', 'real' cheese, real bacon, real bread and so on. ever came across a real Wiener or Frankfurter? sometimes that are understandable local/national differences and preferences in other cases it is almost a crime that a look-a-like substitute or imitation got called the same as the real thing.

i have seen post on this board where people complain that vietnamese noodle soup in thailand or even in vietnam isn't the real thing like the vietnamese noodle soup those experts have been eating in the USA. funny right?

it's also more or less debatable what is 'real' coffee, 'real' 'beer', 'real' cheese, real bacon, real bread and so on. ever came across a real Wiener or Frankfurter? sometimes that are understandable local/national differences and preferences in other cases it is almost a crime that a look-a-like substitute or imitation got called the same as the real thing.

If the French will drink it it is real coffee.

~Real cheese doesn't exist in the USA, don't even discuss it.

As California sets most trends for the rest of the world, wait five to ten more years and there may appear some more interesting and healthy variations on "American breakfasts'

to wit: avocados, fresh plain home-made yogurt, a few blueberries/raspberries on the side. Baked home fries cooked with just a bit of oil. Plus breads that are bursting with flavor and nutrition, and are more like muffins than bread. Perhaps in 15 to 20 years, a few Thais chefs will be ready to find out about the amazing qualities and flavors of hemp nut items.

Meanwhile in Thailand, a few Thai chefs are slowly waking up to the concept that bread is something other than paper white starch, and that fried eggs (including kai jiew) don't have to be smothered in 3 day old oil - besides under- or over-cooked.

No Amer.breakfast in any Thai city comes within a mile of what I can whip up at home, and I'm not even much of a cook.

of course USA is the leader when it comes to healthy food. the rest of the world just don't get it. you are so right.

the few obese people have probably eaten foreign food products like french fries (from France), pizza (from Italy) or eat to much Hamburger (German Town) served at a Scottish restaurant chain Mcdonald's.

the USA is also the nation that makes hemp cultivation to something sophisticated and progressive thing. without the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act and the war on drugs the counter culture or chefs de fancy cuisine would have probably much less interests in hemp products and consider it's usage not as modern, but backward and so yesterday.

and to hel_l with all the rice eating habits, asians should learn to make real good american bread, bread that is not like bread but like muffins.

Oh that margarine is lovely! How can 99% of Thailand thing foreigners eat axel grease on toast for breakfast? What happened to cornflakes? Do americans really eat "fried ham" for breakfast?

Fried ham? Sometimes.

Breakfast cereal. Sure thing. Probably the most common at home American breakfast.

"Americans consume about 10 pounds, or 160 bowls of cereal, per person each year."

Bruce, Scott and Crawford, Bill. Cerealizing America: The Unsweetened Story of American Breakfast Cereal. Faber and Faber, 1995 as cited on Amazing Cereal Statistics.

Edited by Jingthing

Hopefully this will help get the Phuket Forum going again as it has been a bit slow lately.

I enjoy a good hearty American or English breakfast (not very often) & on occasion like to have eggs benedict but the place I go to is not consistent e.g muffins not toasted to a nice crisp golden brown or the hollandaise sauce does not hold together, although they do sometimes get it all right. Any recommendations for good eggs benedict in Phuket?

Egg's any way you wan't :.... it's all about the service and Choice.. "You get what you want" ... as you are paying .. Not "You get what we give you ".... The Brits and most of Europe can't get this right .. so what chance do the Thais have,,, Really

I would be surprised if theres even one place, thats not own/operated by a Yank/Canuck, that you can get your egg's any way you want ..... and get it right...

EGG'S

Sunny side up

Over easy

Over medium

Fried hard

Basted

Steamed

Poached/soft/med/hard

Egg white omelet

Boiled... Soft/Hard

Omelet....... build your own from a list of ingredient ... or pick a standard .. like Denver...

Bacon (crispy not flaccid)

Sausage or Sausage patties

Hash browns.... shredded or cubed

Pancakes w/ surup.... Not crepes... and not just once a year

Toast w/ Peanut butter and Jam.... Not Marmalade ... but the option of Marmalade... even though no one uses it..... Its about service remember.. ;)'

And real Coffee... Free re-fill's (come on... it's only about a 50 Satang a cup, to make it fresh...)

No Bean's ... (Note: I personally like the adition of beans)

No Fried Bread....

OR

Steak and Egg's... (Classic w/ a few drops of Tabasco on your egg's.. and A1 sauce for the steak.... you also get the ubiquitous hash brown's)

Or

Biscuit's and Sawmill-gravy..... down south ... I like this one too, but I could not eat it more than two or three times a month.

Corn beef Hash and poached egg's....

Egg's Benny ..... More for Brunch, but One of my favoret's

Huavo's Rancheros ... a Mexican Benny

There are so many kind's of Breakfast in the States.. as I said it's about choice and service....

A good English breakfast is a close second .... you can only get it one way.... but it is usually tasty... but they loose mega ponts for serving that Nescaffe crap...

S.J.C

as an American who has lived in Bangkok and all over the USA an American breakfast is different in every corner of the land. I liked the Thai breakfast but in the South (of America) you would have eggs, grits and biscuits with gravy. In California you might have a fruit plate with oatmeal. In New England or New York a bagel with cream cheese might suffice. In Texas and Orlando we'd have eggs and bacon with toast and home fries. BTW I also enjoy the Thai rice soup with a small amount of sausage in it. Variety is the spice of life. English breakfasts are also cool. I only cannot stand the blood sausages I had in Ireland; and I'm Irish American!!!!!

If the French will drink it it is real coffee.

~Real cheese doesn't exist in the USA, don't even discuss it.

I would say , if italian drink it , it,s a real coffee!!! I am not italian by the way .

^ God I'm hungry now! A couple of slices of fried bread with fried eggs on top would go down nicely right now.

One thing I could never figure out is why the unhealthiest foods are the worst for you and the healthiest foods are the most boring. You'd have thought with millions of years of evolution we'd have evolved to find the healthiest foods the tastiest and stuff like fried bread unpalatable.

What is an American Breakfast ? I think most know what an English Breakfast is -

An American breakfast is any foodstuff that is very high in saturated fat, sugar-washed down with lots and lots of heavily creamed and sugared coffee...I hope that help

of course USA is the leader when it comes to healthy food. the rest of the world just don't get it. you are so right.

the few obese people have probably eaten foreign food products like french fries (from France), pizza (from Italy) or eat to much Hamburger (German Town) served at a Scottish restaurant chain Mcdonald's.

the USA is also the nation that makes hemp cultivation to something sophisticated and progressive thing. without the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act and the war on drugs the counter culture or chefs de fancy cuisine would have probably much less interests in hemp products and consider it's usage not as modern, but backward and so yesterday.

and to hel_l with all the rice eating habits, asians should learn to make real good american bread, bread that is not like bread but like muffins.

Sorry to inform you.

French fries are not 'French' Because of where they come from

They are actually Belgian in origin.

They are called French fries because the method of cutting is 'frenching'

Hence why France was rather amused when America decided to rename french fries 'Freedom' fries as a "take that" to Frances comment on the idea of going to war.

Edited by Wuffy

To real chefs breakfast and brunch is a joke. Really, most anyone can cook all of that crapola themselves. Excepting hash browns, that's an art.

cooking hash browns,properly, is the hardest thing to teach , you're right....you must have worked a griddle at some time