Retirement Visa Application Process

They may do it in one hit. Some will some will not.

Could you kindly comment on the following current rulings (if any) from Thai Immigration Bureaus :

1). Are medical certificates still required - when applying for 'retirement visas' ???

(such as @ Pattaya Immigration Bureau)

2). On initial application @ Thai Immigration Bureau for the 'O' visa - leading onto the application for extention of stay in respect of the retirement visa - is a 'hotel' & or 'guesthouse' residential address acceptable to Immigration in this regard ???

(this is where I would initially have to lodge myself at)

3). Does Thai Immigration Bureau request proof of address from one's present country of residency (outside of Thailand) - after one arrives in Thailand, & then initially approaches Thai Immigration in respect of applying for an 'O' visa - leading onto the application process for extention of stay for a retirement visa - besides the fact that one's passport clearly states ones citizenship & nationality ???

If im unable to obtain the '60 day tourist visa' from the Embassy on my end - then the '30 day stamp' upon arrival will have to do !

30 day stamp: The airline might not let you fly without a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. That is the criteria for visa exempt entry. The airline would not want to have to pay to bring you back if your entry was refused! Best to get a visa; anything will do!! As UJ says, press the embassy for Non-O on the basis they have already given an indication they will provide with sight of funds.

If you are trying to fly with a one way ticket to get your 30 day stamp, the airlines will usually board you if you have any ticket out of Thailand leaving within 30 days. For example a budget airline to Penang (you can throw it away).

A Good Tip - Thanks !!

When I visit the Embassy in question - i'll try push them for the 'O' based on the fact that I can substantiate sufficient funds already lodged in a Thai bank account !!

However I still have the Thai resident address issue still to resolve as was requested by them - when applying for an 'O' !!

A 60 day tourist visa obtained from the Embassy - will require both proof of funds & a two way (return) plane ticket !

If im unable to obtain the '60 day tourist visa' from the Embassy on my end - then the '30 day stamp' upon arrival will have to do !

30 day stamp: The airline might not let you fly without a ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival. That is the criteria for visa exempt entry. The airline would not want to have to pay to bring you back if your entry was refused! Best to get a visa; anything will do!! As UJ says, press the embassy for Non-O on the basis they have already given an indication they will provide with sight of funds.

Thanks - I clearly comprehend what you say - I will press Embassy in order to obtain an 'O' visa - I need to clear the Thai Resident address they've recently requested of me (telephonically) in order to obtain said 'O' - I've also just mentioned this briefly in my comment in respect of the 'O' visa to Mr 'Jingthing' !!

Just look up a hotel in Pattaya on the internet that has a street address and use that and leave off the hotel name. Or if you still know it use the address you had when you were here before. They will not check to see if you are really staying there.

Just look up a hotel in Pattaya on the internet that has a street address and use that and leave off the hotel name. Or if you still know it use the address you had when you were here before. They will not check to see if you are really staying there.

COPY - I certainly am able to provide my former Thai residential address or a street only 'address' of a hotel i've previously frequented to Embassy as required on their Visa application form !!

As long as they don't want to view actual recent lodging (condo or hotel) receipts from Thailand etc etc !!

Kindly comment :

When I arrive in Thailand either on a 30 day stamp or 60 day tourist visa -- What is the validity period of an 'O' visa - should Thai Immigration not want to process both my applications ('O' visa leading onto extention of stay retirement visa) on the same day, & make me wait till the last 30 days remaining on the 'O' visa, before Thai Immigration will process the extention of stay leading onto the 'retirement visa etc ???

COPY - I certainly am able to provide my former Thai residential address or a street only 'address' of a hotel i've previously frequented to Embassy as required on their Visa application form !!

As long as they don't want to view actual recent lodging (condo or hotel) receipts from Thailand etc etc !!

Kindly comment :

When I arrive in Thailand either on a 30 day stamp or 60 day tourist visa -- What is the validity period of an 'O' visa - should Thai Immigration not want to process both my applications ('O' visa leading onto extention of stay retirement visa) on the same day, & make me wait till the last 30 days remaining on the 'O' visa, before Thai Immigration will process the extention of stay leading onto the 'retirement visa etc ???

On Non-O visa you will get 90 day permission to stay on entry.

A single entry O visa allows a 90 day stay in Thailand. If they don't want to process your extension at the same time as your change of status, you normally would return to immigration 30 days before the 90 day permission to stay expires. I don't think this is a problem for you, assuming I have understood your question.

I have never heard of a embassy wanting proof of address for a visa application.

If your money is in the bank for 60 days or more Pattaya immigration will probably do it all at one time. If not they will give you a 90 day visa entry. Pattaya does extensions as much as 90 days early so you could probably go whenever you want to.

I have never heard of a embassy wanting proof of address for a visa application.

If your money is in the bank for 60 days or more Pattaya immigration will probably do it all at one time. If not they will give you a 90 day visa entry. Pattaya does extensions as much as 90 days early so you could probably go whenever you want to.

I agree with all that. If you are attempting the two step process at Pattaya, I suggest that you be ready with EVERYTHING needed for the extension application, that of course will increase your odds that you can do it all in one day.

A single entry O visa allows a 90 day stay in Thailand. If they don't want to process your extension at the same time as your change of status, you normally would return to immigration 30 days before the 90 day permission to stay expires. I don't think this is a problem for you, assuming I have understood your question.

Hope you dont mind me joining in this thread.

Have I read correctly here, that permission to stay based on retirement can be granted if only on a 60 day tourist visa ? I was under the impression that you had to get a Non "O" 1st before you can apply ?

For reference the immigration office where the extension will be applied for will be Phuket. Does anyone know what the procedure is in Phuket ?

Would a 60 day tourist visa be OK, or would it be safer to get a 90 day Non "O" ?

The easiest way is to enter Thailand on a single entry O and then apply for the retirement extension in Thailand. Some offices including Pattaya will allow a change of status from a 30 day stamp or tourist visa to an O visa IN Thailand, and then follow with the extension. I am not aware if Phuket does that or not; someone else will know. In any case, entering with the O visa will definitely work anywhere, so that is a safe bet.

Thanks for that - now that I know the 'O' visa allows me a 90 day stay in Thailand - as you say if Pattaya wont process my application for extention & change of status on the same day - then i'll have to wait for 30 days before the 90 day permission expires to apply for the final change of status !!

This way I can 'extend' my stay in Thailand by an additional two months - before i'm finally granted the 'retirement visa not so ?? !!

You are quiet right, for me this is not a problem to wait the extra couple of months !!

When I visit the Embassy in person - i'll verify either way - exactly their requirements about the Thai address issue in respect of an application for an 'O' visa !!

Thanks you for the most useful information about the 90 day extentions done @ Pattaya Immigration - its good to know this !!

Even if they do the extension and change in one step your 1 year extension will be from the end of your 90 day permit to stay they give you. All extensions start at the end of your permit to stay not the date of application.

Thanks for explanation - sounds all the better !!

For all our German friends:

New requirements for NON immigrant O Visa

Thai Embassy website:

d. Für die Beantragung des Non-Immigranten-O-Visums benötigen Sie eine Kopie des Rentenbescheids (mit min. 1200,00 € monatlich, falls dieser Betrag nicht erfuellt wird, weitere Vermoegensnachweise), ein polizeiliches Fuehrungszeugnis, sowie ein Gesundheitszeugnis vom Hausarzt.

English:

- Copy of your retirement entitlement (1.200,- Euro Minimum) or/and proof of sufficiant funds on your bank account

- Health Certificate!!!!

This is new!! and never has been asked for

Munich

• 2 weeks later...

Updated News for all the moderators who so generously offered me sound guidance & advice earlier this month !

Further to my most recent visit to the Thai Embassy in my part of the world !

The Embassy does not issue Non "O" visas - unless one is married to a Thai citizen, or is a child of a Thai citizen !!

Now my only choice is to either apply for a "60 day tourist visa" from said Embassy - requiring proof of sufficient funds & a return air ticket !!

Alternatively I forgo the above '60 day' application, .... I arrive in Thailand, & receive a '30 day stamp' & proceed promptly from there !

Either way - I must still apply for the "Non 'O' Visa extention of stay" from Thai Immigration shortly after my arrival .. ultimately leading to securing my 'retirement visa' !!

I am not sure if it was just luck but last year when they were not going to let me on the plane because I did not have a return ticket, I just told them that I was leaving Thailand by bus and flying out of Vietnam. They "United Airline" just looked at each other, shrugged, and let me board.

Updated News for all the moderators who so generously offered me sound guidance & advice earlier this month !

Further to my most recent visit to the Thai Embassy in my part of the world !

The Embassy does not issue Non "O" visas - unless one is married to a Thai citizen, or is a child of a Thai citizen !!

Now my only choice is to either apply for a "60 day tourist visa" from said Embassy - requiring proof of sufficient funds & a return air ticket !!

Alternatively I forgo the above '60 day' application, .... I arrive in Thailand, & receive a '30 day stamp' & proceed promptly from there !

Either way - I must still apply for the "Non 'O' Visa extention of stay" from Thai Immigration shortly after my arrival .. ultimately leading to securing my 'retirement visa' !!

Nice of them not to tell you that before. You of course fly in through KL and obtain Non-O visa on the way in. That would save you having to make an extra trip out from Thailand to a neighbouring consulate to obtain Non-O visa after you arrive. A tourist visa is not really practical for you with embassy requirements of a return ticket.

Edited by thaiphoon

OP, did you tell us before, what specific Thai immigration office do you intend to use? Not all Thai immigration offices will do the two step process that you obviously are planning to do. The two step process involves entering Thailand on a tourist visa or 30 day stamp and then doing first a CHANGE OF STATUS to a single entry O visa (yes obtained IN Thailand) with the second step applying for the annual extension of stay based on retirement. The change of status even for immigration offices that will do this requires you have at least 21 days left on your current permission to stay on your tourist visa or 30 day stamp. If you do plan on entering on a 30 day stamp you are advised to buy an air ticket to a neighboring country that leaves within 30 days of your arrival; otherwise you likely will not be allowed to board your airplane.

The suggestion of another poster, to first fly into Malaysia is another option. There you could definitely get a single entry O before hopping over to Thailand to do the second step, the annual extension.

Edited by Jingthing

Thank You Sir !

I plan to use the Pattaya Immigration Bureau !

I will obtain a return flight ticket @ my present destination into & out of Thailand, - as I doubt very much that the airline I plan to travel to Thailand on, will board me without it - whether I obtain a 60 day tourist visa beforehand, or given a 30 day stamp when I arrive !!

(Should I decide to arrive in Thailand on a 30 day stamp - I will insure that my return flight leaves within 30 days) !

I understand that I must have @ least 21 days left on a 60 day tourist visa, or 30 day stamp in order to apply for the change of status Non "O" at the Immigration Bureau !!

In my case all the pre-requisite funds are seasoned in a Thai bank account - which means I can obtain the official bank letter within a couple of days after my arrival in Thailand - in order to satisfy Thai Immigration financial requirements in obtaining a change of status Non 'O' visa, & then moving onto the next step 'extention of stay' based on a retirement visa !!

My only concern is whether Pattaya Immigration will accomodate me - even with 21 days left on a 30 day stamp !!

Can you kindly ellaborate further on my concern, & in respect of the two step process, now that I've given more specific data ???

Pattaya will do the two step process, so yes, you can do a change of status from a tourist visa or 30 day stamp to an O visa at Pattaya. I don't think you need a RT air ticket back to your home country. You can probably board with a one way ticket plus tourist visa or a one way ticket, no visa, plus ticket out to a neighboring country. However, often one way tickets cost the same as RT tickets so financially perhaps this doesn't make a difference. From the US, I find there are ways to make one way tickets cheaper through ticket consolidators and even some airlines do give a break.

I'm again pleased to read that Pattaya Immigration will undertake the two step process, in order for me to secure the Non 'O' visa @ Pattaya Immigration Bureau - as you've again so kindly described in your two most recent postings !

The easiest (and most efficient) way I can fly into Thailand, is via Kuala Lumpur or Singapore, & then take the connection onto Thailand !

There are no direct flights into Thailand from my present locale !

As you've rightly pointed out a return flight & one one flight, as far as I can ascertain on my end, are nearly the same price.

For my peace of mind, I will insure that i've a return ticket leaving Thailand within 30 days, with the '30 day stamp' entry route into Thailand !

I do fully realize that I must start the application process most promptly @ Pattaya Immigration in order to secure the Non 'O' - well within 9 days of my arrival in Thailand !!

Many Thanks Again !