Preschool And Elementary Schools Is Phuket

JDuarte

It seems that all public and private schools at elementary level are only have classes for a full day, is that right or are there half-day schools?

All the kids seem to come home around 4pm (KajonkiatSukasa), or even doing some extra time and getting out only at 5pm (child I know at a public school in Rawai).

Is there no elementary school where the kids get out at noon or 1pm?

I went to school in Germany and between ages 6 - 10 we never had class later than 1pm and that was a long school day. I could not imagine being in school all day at such a young age and I would not send my child to school for a full day at that age and then still have homework after.

At nursery / kindergarden level I think some places offers half-days, but what about after that, from around 6 years onwards?

All the pre-school and nurserys in Phuket seem to be in either Phuket Town, or in the the south of Phuket such as Rawai and Chalong.

Are there any bi-lingual schools further north of the island, Kamala, Surin, Cherng Talay ?

Kajonkiet also has a bilingual kindergarten in Cherng Talay.

• 1 year later...

Any chance of reviving this thread?

My son's 19 months old, and I figure we should get him in a preschool around the time he turns 2 - maybe two and a half.

As mentioned above, I'd like to start with half-days. He's too young to be in school for eight hours at a stretch.

Most classes should be in English, but some in Thai (and I wouldn't mind another language - perhaps a Chinese language?).

We live in Patong, but will travel anywhere.

Is there a list of available preschools, along with fees, and (hope!) contact details? Surely there are hundreds of people on the island who would be interested in that info.

Here is the email address for RPIS (Montessori school in Rawai) [email protected]

They have a pre-school class for 2 year olds (half day) and then the kindergarten starts at 3 years old (full day)

They teach in English but all classes have a Thai teacher and Thai language is also taught.

Not sure of others as this is the only one I've sent my son to. He is now 6 and has been in their program for over 3 years and doing well.

Here is the email address for RPIS (Montessori school in Rawai) [email protected]

They have a pre-school class for 2 year olds (half day) and then the kindergarten starts at 3 years old (full day)

They teach in English but all classes have a Thai teacher and Thai language is also taught.

Not sure of others as this is the only one I've sent my son to. He is now 6 and has been in their program for over 3 years and doing well.

Thanks!

I have friends with preschool age kids in HeadStart, Thai Hua, QSI - and I think PIA. So far I've heard the best reports from Thai Hua, but I'd really like to look at all of the options...

Wonder why nobody's put together a simple list?

Thanks!

I have friends with preschool age kids in HeadStart, Thai Hua, QSI - and I think PIA. So far I've heard the best reports from Thai Hua, but I'd really like to look at all of the options...

You're comparing apples and oranges here Woody.

HeadStart, QSI and PIA are run on international school lines - i.e. instruction is given in English and the kids learn Thai a 2 to 5 times per week.

Thai Hua is a Thai/Chinese school. The instruction for all subjects is given in Thai and the kids learn English 2 to 5 times per week.

The international schools will graduate kids with internationally recognized qualifications. HeadStart, for example, do the Cambridge IGCSE exams at age 16, then 'A' levels at 18 which is what you would need for a UK university.

Thai Hua graduates kids with a Thai education certificate which is pretty much worthless in the West.

They're two completely different schooling systems and you can't really compare them. Just got to make a judgement based on where you see your kid being by university age and how deep your wallet is.

Woody

Having just launched my final offspring after 35 years and having 4 of them going to all sorts of different schools in Australia, my advice is this...

Pick a school that suits where you would like your child to end up eg speaking useful languages fluently, International academic program, sports, music, whatever. Then, if you need to make a choice, make one that is close to home. Then when your child makes lots of friends & wants playdates and then sleepovers, you aren't driving all over Phuket & beyond. They develop a sense of community.

Further down the track, the ability for the child to get themselves safely to school & back is another step to consider. If there's a school bus that stops right outside your door, go for it! Better than dragging yourself out of bed when you're really sick.

I like the idea of having my children mix with people from all walks of life. And to have compassion. Even my disabled youngest (Aspergers) was delighted that my Christmas present to him last year was the donation of a bike for a child in Cambodia. (Great way to avoid regifting giggle.gif )

Last time I was here, I did a trip on a dive boat with some kids from one of the International Schools. Mega rich. Didn't do anything for themselves normally. Till they had to do all their own equipment checking and take responsibility for their personal safety. They were really keen, very polite and I was most impressed with their overall demeanour. However, as soon as we were ready to land, there were frantic phone calls for 'Mom's Taxi Service' and distress that one of them wasn't there instantly.

Beware of the sense of entitlement that it's very easy for our kids to gain & difficult to cure.

Beware of the sense of entitlement that it's very easy for our kids to gain & difficult to cure.

I hear you on that score. It drives me nuts!

Thanks, @markg. I find it hard to believe there are only four international-caliber schools in Phuket (BIS, QSI, Head Start, PIA). I'm not overly concerned about certification - IB and US certification are cool, but they aren't the whole story: a GED and 800s on the SATs would go a long way for an American kid. I'm comfortable with home schooling in math, computers, various science topics, English lit and composition, so that isn't a big problem.

In the long term, what I'm most concerned about is having my son exposed to many different people, different cultures, different belief systems, in an environment that doesn't crush inquisitiveness. In other words, I want something that's diametrically opposed to the US public school system.

But in the short term, I have a two year old who needs a cool preschool. Any more suggestions?

But in the short term, I have a two year old who needs a cool preschool. Any more suggestions?

If your wife is Thai and you speak English at home then I see no harm in your kid going to a Thai preschool in the beginning - mainly to get a solid foundation for the Thai language. Thai Hwa, Darasamut, KJK are all decent kindergartens. If you see your child needs more challenge in English as he/she gets older then you still have plenty of options to go into for the higher levels. We took the plunge straight into the international school system and sadly our child's Thai language capability leaves a lot to be desired compared to his peers from a Thai kindergarten/ preschool.

If your wife is Thai and you speak English at home then I see no harm in your kid going to a Thai preschool in the beginning - mainly to get a solid foundation for the Thai language. Thai Hwa, Darasamut, KJK are all decent kindergartens. If you see your child needs more challenge in English as he/she gets older then you still have plenty of options to go into for the higher levels. We took the plunge straight into the international school system and sadly our child's Thai language capability leaves a lot to be desired compared to his peers from a Thai kindergarten/ preschool.

That's what we did and I have no regrets. My daughter spent her early school years at a Thai pre-school, got a very basic grounding in reading and writing Thai and English as well as improving her Thai speech and saving me money.

Levels of English at the International school she now attends are variable so she has never been behind and is now pretty much fluent in both Thai and English.

We moved her just before she was five at the end of the Thai school year which coincides with the start of the UK third term.

Thanks, @markg. I find it hard to believe there are only four international-caliber schools in Phuket (BIS, QSI, Head Start, PIA). I'm not overly concerned about certification - IB and US certification are cool, but they aren't the whole story: a GED and 800s on the SATs would go a long way for an American kid. I'm comfortable with home schooling in math, computers, various science topics, English lit and composition, so that isn't a big problem.

In the long term, what I'm most concerned about is having my son exposed to many different people, different cultures, different belief systems, in an environment that doesn't crush inquisitiveness. In other words, I want something that's diametrically opposed to the US public school system.

Ohhhhh Woody ! Let me put this into terms you are more familiar with. What you've just said is the equivalent of 'I want a PC that is fast, reliable, resistant to viruses and is great for graphics, but i don't want a Mac'..................I'm not really sure how you can homeschool a kid whilst exposing them to different people, cultures and belief systems !

Studies show that 'informal learning' - i.e. from peers in the play ground, accounts for up to 40 percent of student's understanding.

You talk disparagingly about American schools Woody, and you may be right, I've never been to one, but here is the rub. Thai schools learn by rote. Right up to and including university. American schools don't. Whilst you may think that they crush inquisitiveness, actually, they don't. Woody - Thai university students wear school uniform !!!!! What does that tell you? The teachers wear pseudo-military uniforms with pretend campaign ribbons on them. What does that tell you? They churn out good Thai citizens, not inquisitive life long learners. Nobel prize winners? Bodies of great literature?

I have no idea how deep your pockets are, but my advice is, put your kid into an international programme. He will meet people from different cultures and belief systems. In a Thai school - he will not. Pay for him to study Thai in the evenings or at weekends - it's important for sure, but in the long run, an international education will benefit him globally.

No country's education system is perfect, but in your shoes, I wouldn't even consider a Thai school.

• 6 months later...

I too am in the same boat as Woody. My daughter is 18 months old and I am looking around for pre school for around mid next year. Also live in Patong where there are no acceptable schools to my knowledge. I have a friend who runs Buds nursery school in Chalong and have visited there many times. They do provide pick up and drop off around the island. Without having been to any of the others I cannot comment on standards but have been pretty impressed by what I see at Buds.

I too am in the same boat as Woody. My daughter is 18 months old and I am looking around for pre school for around mid next year. Also live in Patong where there are no acceptable schools to my knowledge. I have a friend who runs Buds nursery school in Chalong and have visited there many times. They do provide pick up and drop off around the island. Without having been to any of the others I cannot comment on standards but have been pretty impressed by what I see at Buds.

My boy lasted a week there and coming home with bite marks and learning to pinch people.

His mother pulled him out faster than an ejaculation at a beer bar.

Every kid is different and either they fit in straight away or they don't.

Always just put the child through a 2 week trial before settling.

Edited by hansgruber

Hi all.

My wife and I are moving to Phuket Jan 2010, for 6 months.

We have a 3 year old son and 5 year old daughter.

We haven't decided where to live yet.

One of the biggest choices is schooling.

We are Americans, from Southern California, and would like our daughter to continue with Kindergarten... we intend to continue traveling the world for the next 2 years.

For our son, we would like to have a part-time nanny, and put him in some sort of organized pre-school.

Can anyone recommend a list of english language schools and pre-schools on Phuket?

(I have lots of questions and just started searching through the forum, so as time goes by, I hope to meet many of you. Thank you in advance for your help. We are trying to plan as much in advance as possible).

You know, I've just re-read the original post...........and I'm gobsmacked. (Many times we end up answering a previous posting, rather than the original enquiry.)

JDuarte - you have a daughter who is 5 already, yet you propose to continue travelling the world until she's 7. Bit selfish don't you think? She should be settling down into structured formal education at this age, and learning how to make friends, not dragged around the world, living out of a suitcase, moving from school to school to school.

You should've got the travel bug out of your system before you had a family.

Don't suppose for one minute you'll change your plans and give your daughter a bit of priority, but if you do come to the south of the island, don't bother about any of the formal schools mentioned in this thread. Just use the nurseries for such a short period - they'll charge by the month, rather than by term.

I wish you well........but kids need to be in a stable environment, especially at your daughters age, not on a world tour.

i just re read it too,wow,i missed that. so what about after school,are the parents gonna leave them with the nanny.seems strange.

I have recently been through the same dilemma. My daughter is now 19 months old. I wanted to introduce her to a pre-school class to start her getting used to other environments (other than our routine), used to socializing with other children and getting the benefits that a good structured pre-school class can bring. Also to give mum a bit of time off.

We live near heroines, so was really looking at north Phuket only. I found that none of the schools accepted children below 2-2.5 years old. The only schools that did were PIA and BIS. We visited both and decided that BIS seemed more established, had better systems in place and just felt more like a school. PIA was also good, but just felt like it was more of a Sports Academy with a school on the side. I am sure that in time this will change.

We opted for BIS which was surprisingly affordable (at this age - I believe the fees jump quite considerably at a certain age) for 2-3 mornings a week. Our daughter loves it. An english teacher, 2-3 thai assistants, she gets to experience so many playing/ development experiences that we just are not set up at home for. So far I am really pleased with the decision.

The only problem is the mrs dealing with the separation!!!!!!!