Quad Bikes

mr.buffalo

Are quad bikes street legal here or if I am riding along will I get my collar felt all day? My reputation is not very good for the two wheeled variety of transport so I think 4 wheels will give me an edge and it will be fun. I have seen some for sale with red number plates ( at a ridiculous price so I shan't buy from that supplier ) so they are brand new and if tagged I am assuming road worthy. Any info?

Are quad bikes street legal here or if I am riding along will I get my collar felt all day? My reputation is not very good for the two wheeled variety of transport so I think 4 wheels will give me an edge and it will be fun. I have seen some for sale with red number plates ( at a ridiculous price so I shan't buy from that supplier ) so they are brand new and if tagged I am assuming road worthy. Any info?

I have seen a few on the street here, Mr. Buffalo. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that they're legal. In fact, I've been told (don't know this for a fact) that the salangs (motorbikes with carts attached) are not actually legal vehicles. Have you seen any of those creating traffic backups anywhere?!! :-)

Does anybody know for certain if salangs ARE legal? Just curious. I fully realize that it won't change a thing if they are illegal. TIT!

I totally disagree on the safety aspect. I once drove a quad and considered this as the most dangerous mode of transport. Will never do it again and mind you, I love karting!

I seem to remember that rock star 'Sir Ozzy Osbourne' had a serious accident on a Quad bike and received a nasty bump on the head which has seemed to have had a damaging effect on his speech and logical thinking.

I totally disagree on the safety aspect. I once drove a quad and considered this as the most dangerous mode of transport. Will never do it again and mind you, I love karting!

I seem to remember that rock star 'Sir Ozzy Osbourne' had a serious accident on a Quad bike and received a nasty bump on the head which has seemed to have had a damaging effect on his speech and logical thinking.

In Ozzy's case several factors might have contributed to impairing his speech and logical thinking... :)

They are actually ATV's - All-Terrain Vehicles - and they aren't designed for driving around town. They will overturn easily - it happened to me once in the Scottish Highlands when I cornered too fast on dry grass. I was lucky not to break a leg. In rough, steep, wet, muddy terrain, though, they are brilliant.

Funnily enough, a few weeks back I was sitting at a bar in Jomtien Complex and a farang came tearing around the corner by Legs Sports Bar on one of these quad bikes and managed to turn it over. Luckily he escaped injury, and with a bit of help he pushed the vehicle upright and drove off again. He was fortunate that it was a quiet side-street with no traffic.

Quite apart from how dangerous they are, they cannot be registered and so illegal on the roads. Should you cause an accident then, as you have no insurance, you are wide open to whatever claims the pasty may demand.

And what about 'salangs'? Are they legal? I've never seen one with a license plate on it.