2nd Wave Of Hiv Epidemic

MJP

I live in northeast Thailand although I recently went to the eastern seaboard city of Pattaya to see my sister-in-law. Whilst there I did a bit of anecdotal research and asked some of the ladies about HIV/Aids and their attitude towards it.

It was as I suspected. The road to hel_l is paved with good intentions. One of the older women, in her late 40's perhaps who works in a bar in the notorious Soi 6, said few of the girls worried about it [HIV] now as the government would give you free medicine to keep you alive. This is a worrying development. Seems awareness of HIV/Aids has slipped in Thailand. Caution seems fully blown to the wind. It also seems the 30 Baht a day health care programme may reap what it sows with regard to STD's. Without urgent action on HIV education expect an epidemic of infection in the sex worker community in the Land of Smiles. There is also a lot of ignorance about infection pathways. Some of the girls believe it is only transmitted via vaginal intercourse. Remember, many of these girls left school at 12 or 13, having received a very poor standard of education anyway.

http://www.peripheries.org/2009/02/13/thai.../#idc-container

So here we go again with an HIV epidemic for which much is known, for which successful prevention programmes had been implemented but for some reasons, incidence and prevalence are on the rise again. The situation is such that, as AVERT puts it, “there is now a fear that the country will witness a second wave of the epidemic.”

Edited by MJP

I gave up anecdotal research after I met the wife.

This is a subject that affects many on this board. Yet this is the only reply all afternoon.

I feel this country and it's farang guests are in complete denial about this.

New HIV infection rates are lower now than they have ever been in Thailand since HIV started in 80s. 12,000 infections per year, in the early 90s it was over 150,000 people per year. The infection rate in Thailand now is roughly the same as it is in the United States.

New HIV infection rates are lower now than they have ever been in Thailand since HIV started in 80s. 12,000 infections per year, in the early 90s it was over 150,000 people per year. The infection rate in Thailand now is roughly the same as it is in the United States.

. . . and you believe this?

I have severe doubts and suggest a re-run of the education programme and 100% condom programme which last time cost about 105 Baht per person. Money well spent.

What, you think the infection rates are higher than that, despite far better testing now than back then? They were telling the truth back in the 90s and are lying now? Disbelieve it if you want, but all evidence points to infections rates similar to the USA, Thailand 60 million people 12,000 infected, USA 300 million 50,000 infected.

Sure, re-run the programs to make sure people don't forget about HIV. Fine with me, not a bad investment.

What, you think the infection rates are higher than that, despite far better testing now than back then? They were telling the truth back in the 90s and are lying now? Disbelieve it if you want, but all evidence points to infections rates similar to the USA, Thailand 60 million people 12,000 infected, USA 300 million 50,000 infected.

Sure, re-run the programs to make sure people don't forget about HIV. Fine with me, not a bad investment.

In the US there's been a 25% underestimate, due to the epidemiological model used. I can't see how a country like Thailand can possibly come up with accurate figures?

Also, behavior is likely to change for the worst in a weak economy. Higher risk.

Off to bed now, but I'll do a load more on this.

I can't see how a country like Thailand can possibly come up with accurate figures?

I see now.

No I don't mean it like that.

Well . . . okay a little bit like that but not written out of spite.

For a country whose economy is partially dependent on the sex trade you would think a rigourous testing protocol would be in place.

I rarely post here on TV. I find it's a place of denial where any questioning is deemed negative and trolling.

See you later.

I can't see how a country like Thailand can possibly come up with accurate figures?

I see now.

For a country whose economy is partially dependent on the sex trade you would think a rigourous testing protocol would be in place.

I rarely post here on TV. I find it's a place of denial where any questioning is deemed negative and trolling.

See you later.

Well since you think it is a place of denial and trolling why did you post anyway?

It affects most posters on this board? Really does it? Everybody is in denial according to you? Are you sure??

You will do a load more on this, well.... I am sure you will save the world...

This is a subject that affects many on this board. Yet this is the only reply all afternoon.

I don`t believe that many Farangs are in denial to the threat of HIV, it`s always there in the back of the mind, but the same old attitutes apply, that it won`t happen to me.

As for the Thais, their attitutes are probably, well, it hasn`t happened yet, so why worry?

Yes, I agree, there is definately a need for more publicity on the subject, especially on the media such as TV and newspapers. Problem is there is less or no profit in broadcasting warnings about AIDs, as Thailand is not a wefare state. Lots more dosh to be made advertising beauty products and cars etc. I mean, people always believe what they see and hear on TV, don`t they?.

Edited by sassienie

We need more disease and wars. The world is already over populated. It's harsh reality, but the stupid usually pay for their sins one way or another. Nobody gets out of the world alive anyway. :)

Yes, but you`re not stupid of course, which means you are OK with these facts because you are convinced that wars and diseases such as AIDS will never affect you personally or anyone else close to you, right?

And all the people that has died of HIV or in wars, died because they were stupid?

Below: If only they would have been more intelligent.

post-11344-1252092691_thumb.jpg

post-11344-1252093114_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassienie

I don`t believe that many Farangs are in denial to the threat of HIV, it`s always there in the back of the mind, but the same old attitutes apply, that it won`t happen to me.

As for the Thais, their attitutes are probably, well, it hasn`t happened yet, so why worry?

Yes, I agree, there is definately a need for more publicity on the subject, especially on the media such as TV and newspapers. Problem is there is less or no profit in broadcasting warnings about AIDs, as Thailand is not a wefare state. Lots more dosh to be made advertising beauty products and cars etc. I mean, people always believe what they see and hear on TV, don`t they?.

But it is. Not the same way as the West. It was the fact that cheap or free treatment being made available changed the atittude to 'mai pen rai' regarding contracting the disease.

Apologies to any posters I may have offended. I'm fighting off possible swine flu (which ain't that bad if it is) I picked up in NY last week. Still makes me a bit irritable.

I see now.

See you later.

Well since you think it is a place of denial and trolling why did you post anyway?

It affects most posters on this board? Really does it? Everybody is in denial according to you? Are you sure??

You will do a load more on this, well.... I am sure you will save the world...

You see, this is what I'm talking about. You get these mad retorts on ThaiVisa to reasonable posts.

I said 'many' not 'most'.

I do think open debate about reality is often stiffled here. I understand why. But that's not healthy.

Good luck to you.

Edited by MJP