Using 2 Passports...

So I thought it would be fairly simple...but after months of trying to resolve with the embassy in London, we are now in the following situation with our eldest (the youngest is fine because born in the UK!):-

1. Child born in Thailand and has Thai birth certificate (1997).
  2. Child issued a British passport by embassy in BKK.
  3. Child travels and subsequently lives abroad.
  4. Thai embassy in London will not issue Thai passport because child born in Thailand (2009).
  5. Child enters Thailand on a 1 month tourist visa.
  6. Child issued a Thai passport at Bang Na.
  7. Child is currently in Thailand but the UK tourist visa is now in overstay (kid is 11).

We were turned away from Mae Sai, as Thai immigration there said he could not leave on Thai and re-enter on British. So...we have flights to KL lined up in a couple of weeks...

However, at the weekend we got talking to another Thai parent who is in the same situation and she stated that Thai immigration will not let her (duel passport holding) child to enter Thailand on his Thai passport(!). Allegedly they have been trying to resolve this for 3 years now and are doing 90 day visa runs!

I thought it would simply be a case of leave Thailand on British passport, re-enter Thailand on Thai...?? Anyone have similar experience?

Cheers

Your friend probably accepted the first person saying that - if you stand your ground they have to allow entry with Thai passport to a Thai. Most people do not have any problem but a small number, as your friend, will be given the wrong information by a line immigration officer and have to take it to a supervisor.

Your friend should also be aware that visa runs are not required even if using foreign passport as a one year extension of stay is easily obtained for anyone with Thai nationality using a foreign passport. Also if under age 14 there is no need as overstay is not charged.

Your friend probably accepted the first person saying that - if you stand your ground they have to allow entry with Thai passport to a Thai. Most people do not have any problem but a small number, as your friend, will be given the wrong information by a line immigration officer and have to take it to a supervisor.

Your friend should also be aware that visa runs are not required even if using foreign passport as a one year extension of stay is easily obtained for anyone with Thai nationality using a foreign passport. Also if under age 14 there is no need as overstay is not charged.

Thanks! I was thinking/hoping the same thing.

The child will have to leave on their UK passport to clear the overstay. Children do not pay an overstay fine but they will have the stamp put in the passport. It is not advisable to do passport swaps at a border crossing. You will find it much easier for the child to leave at the airport but allow a little time to get it sorted out.

They cannot deny entry if a person has a Thai passport. This has come up before and was always resolved by getting a supervisor involved. The most important thing is not to show the other passport when entering the country or even mention it.

I don't understand what the persons problem is that you wrote about. I think their might be more to the story than what you have been told. Also there is no reason to do border runs. A person with a Thai parent can get a one year extension of stay at immigration if they don't have a Thai passport or do not want to have Thai nationality for some reason.

People use two passports all the time. You enter and leave Thailand showing only the Thai passport to immigration. When entering and leaving the UK you show the UK passport. Show both passports to the airline to prove that you are legally in the country you are leaving from and to show you can enter the country you are traveling to.

They cannot deny entry if a person has a Thai passport. This has come up before and was always resolved by getting a supervisor involved. The most important thing is not to show the other passport when entering the country or even mention it.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what stroy we'd give on return though, if we were not to mention the other passport. How would he have a valid Thai passport issued in BKK (very recently) but with no departure stamp?

My advise was a for most people entering the country.

They probably won't even notice or say anything but if they do then show them the other passport and explain the situation. You should not a have problem if they do ask for the other passport since it appears you will traveling through Bangkok. Most problems occur at border crossings or smaller airports.

Edited by ubonjoe

They probably won't even notice or say anything but if they do then show them the other passport and explain the situation. You should not a have problem if they do ask for the other passport since it appears you will traveling through Bangkok. Most problems occur at border crossings or smaller airports.

A missing TM card is going to be noticed on the Thai passport and the immigration officer will be asking questions, especially when the passport has been issued in Bangkok, and not oversea (which can easily explain the missing TM card).

Based on my experience, a 10-15 minutes discussion with the superior might be required, to clear up this.

A missing TM card is going to be noticed on the Thai passport and the immigration officer will be asking questions, especially when the passport has been issued in Bangkok, and not oversea (which can easily explain the missing TM card).

Based on my experience, a 10-15 minutes discussion with the superior might be required, to clear up this.

As others have said, don't be afraid to call the supervisor to sort things out.

As it happens, my sister entered Thailand on a Thai PP for the first time in 20 years last Christmas. Passport issued in London, so no exit stamps from Thailand etc. Breezed through.

I thought it would simply be a case of leave Thailand on British passport, re-enter Thailand on Thai...?? Anyone have similar experience?

Cheers

It is that simple, but NOT at a land border.

You must fly out and back in.

• 4 weeks later...

Well - just got back from KL... Simple it was not.

My son exited on his British passport, and we informed immigration on our way out as to our intention (i.e. to return on his BKK issued Thai passport which would not show an exit stamp). We asked the superior on our way out yesterday whether they would be so kind as to stamp both passports out - they were sympathetic but said no. The superior said that we 'should' be OK on the way back in though (to Chiang Mai, where immigration is relaxed and friendly).

On the way in we were stopped and informed that he could not enter Thailand on his Thai passport as he had no exit stamp. We asked for the superior - who was in fact the one who stopped us and was higher than the one we spoke to yesterday! She who quickly overruled yesterday's advice, and later producing a 'legal' folder with the word of 'law' which she interpreted as 'two passports are not allowed' (this is her interpretation which we chose to politely ignore).

Anyway a long story short(ish) we had to pay an 800 Baht fine (documented and receipted) and the boy has a hand written note in his Thai passport saying that he left Thailand 'unofficially' and did not receive an exit stamp. He is now in on the Thai passport, and whilst I disagree with the note in the passport I was more than happy to pay the fine (given that it has taken us over 6 months and thousands of miles to get 'legal').

Most worrying was the superior's advice for the boy to come in on the British passport and then 'lose it'. TIT. [Edited to read British passport rather than English so as to correct]

Edited by OOB

What's the harm just leaving the british passport as overstay i.e. having no exit stamp from thailand and leave and enter with the thai pp ? After first trip the kid has legit stamps both ways...

As the supervisor attitude shows they don't care and the child has thai pp and birth certificate to show as proof of citizenship.

Or is it somehow illegal can land you in jail later on ?

Scary due to the goverment not taking into account these scenario's.

Luckily we used an overseas Thia embassy for the issue of his Thai passport, the missus wanted to arrnge whilst in Bagkok but I thought it easier to arrange whilst out of Thailand (seems as if it was the right decision)

At some point the change must be made on a Thai issued passport. In this case it was done for 800 baht. In every other case I have seen it was free. I suspect it would have been if taken to a higher level but can understand not doing so for a few baht (and it was a receipted expense).

I understand the need to change to thai pp but can't you just exit with the thai pp and then return with it ?

Sure the UK pp will stay on "overstay" in some immigration database but who cares, as the offical said just "lose it". I mean is there any risk of running into trouble later on? I think not as it is clearly a mistake in their system that they don't allow stamp in-county to clear the UK pp of overstay.

Many countries stamp you "journey completed" or similar stamps when changing visa types in-country due work permit etc applications...

I understand the need to change to thai pp but can't you just exit with the thai pp and then return with it ?

Sure the UK pp will stay on "overstay" in some immigration database but who cares, as the offical said just "lose it". I mean is there any risk of running into trouble later on? I think not as it is clearly a mistake in their system that they don't allow stamp in-county to clear the UK pp of overstay.

Many countries stamp you "journey completed" or similar stamps when changing visa types in-country due work permit etc applications...

So what happens when a diligent immigration officer encounters, ( let's say a child ) with dual nationality, intending to leave Thailand on their Thai passport and enter the U.K. with their U.K. passport.

Said immigration officer asks, "Where's your visa to enter the U.K.?"

Normally, for my children, leave on Thai and arrive back with Thai.

The last time I noticed they had to fill out a white departure card ™ and give back the other half on arrival - is this normal, I don't recall. But maybe I just have a bad memory.

I get the impression that they could play around a bit so I keep the UK passports with me if we are travelling together.

I get the bit about leaving on UK passport to get rid of overstay. As for coming back on a Thai passport with no exit stamp, just tell them its the only one you have with you. I don't think they can refuse??

Yes the procedure is to use the passport of the country - but this is not that simple as traveler had no Thai passport so had to use foreign passport for entry - then obtained Thai passport. But to complete the cycle must leave on foreign passport. Entry immigration should understand this and allow entry without the normal exit stamp in Thai passport; and normally do.

Immigration normally do not check for visas - airlines do that - and you show them both passports.

Edited by lopburi3

Reports on here have always advised to change passports in the air.

the rule as i understadn it is,,

youmust enter and leave any country useing the same passport, when you get to your next destination you can use another passport.

but you cannot enter a country on one passport and leave on another.

anyone know any different.??

youmust enter and leave any country useing the same passport, when you get to your next destination you can use another passport.

I don't think it's quite that simple. For example, my wife entered the UK on her Thai passport and exited on her UK passport (once it was granted). Until very recently, UK immigration could not care less who was leaving the country, there were no exit stamps issued and no passport checks (by immigration).

The problem we have experienced here is a loop in procedures (I'm convinced it is nothing to do with law). The Thai 'operating manual' (if such a thing exists) does not allow for/expect Thai citizens born in Thailand to leave the Kingdom on anything but a Thai passport.

So what happens when a diligent immigration officer encounters, ( let's say a child ) with dual nationality, intending to leave Thailand on their Thai passport and enter the U.K. with their U.K. passport.

Immigration Officers, in any Country, do not care about, nor do they have any authority to dispute, your Entry Status to the next Country to which you are traveling: their sole responsibility is to check that your previous entry into - and subsequent exit from - their Country is in compliance with their own Immigration Laws.

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

And why would the immigration officer ask that question if a Thai (or indeed any nationality) enters the UK on a UK passport, as they already have permission to enter (subject to blacklist).

My Thai wife will be getting a British passport soon and we will be travelling to Thailand.From what i understand can she use her British passport to leave the UK and use her Thai passport to enter Thailand.Then subsequently use her Thai passport to leave Thailand and again use the British passport to gain entrance to the UK.

My Thai wife will be getting a British passport soon and we will be travelling to Thailand.From what i understand can she use her British passport to leave the UK and use her Thai passport to enter Thailand.Then subsequently use her Thai passport to leave Thailand and again use the British passport to gain entrance to the UK.

That is the best way to proceed.

When booking for airline tickets,the procedure is to give them your passport number in the details.If i book before her British passport arrives and use her Thai passport number say today and her British passport arrives say in 2 weeks time will i have to ring the airline up to change her Thai passport number to the British passport number or does'nt it matter as long it's a valid passport.

When booking for airline tickets,the procedure is to give them your passport number in the details.If i book before her British passport arrives and use her Thai passport number say today and her British passport arrives say in 2 weeks time will i have to ring the airline up to change her Thai passport number to the British passport number or does'nt it matter as long it's a valid passport.

Assume you are booking online. I would just put any number on the booking form and then phone the airline later to change the record when you have the new passport number. Just tell them she now has a new passport. It could be altered at airport check-in, but likely to be less questions asked if changed before. Should not be a problem. If using travel agent I'm sure they could just wait for the new passport number from you.

I don't think it's quite that simple. For example, my wife entered the UK on her Thai passport and exited on her UK passport (once it was granted). Until very recently, UK immigration could not care less who was leaving the country, there were no exit stamps issued and no passport checks (by immigration).

The problem we have experienced here is a loop in procedures (I'm convinced it is nothing to do with law). The Thai 'operating manual' (if such a thing exists) does not allow for/expect Thai citizens born in Thailand to leave the Kingdom on anything but a Thai passport.

good to hear though that things finally have gotten sorted and that you stood up for your son's right to enter Thailand on his Thai PP.

You are right that the thai system is orientated to an accounting like standard....ie a debit (exit) must be balanced with an credit (entry). Otherwise, for some, it is like 'computer says no'.....

All that is behind you now, fortunately.