Computer Freezes When Writing Emails

coventry

I have a relatively new computer and basically use it for writing Emails. When I start to write them all appears to be normal, but as the Email gets longer the letters don't keep up with the pressing of the keys. So after a few paragraphs the whole thing more or less freezes and becomes usless. I save it to draft and continue the Email at a later time and go through this process until the Email is finished.

Does anyone else have/had this problem ? If so, is it correctable ? It happens on Yahoo and Google. It doesn't do it while writing this. I have cleaned my hard drive and have stacks of room on it. Thanks

I'm not computer literate so please bare with me.

My directX version is 9.0c, not v9 or v10

I'm using Microsoft XP professional and my memory is 768 MB RAM from what I can make out. But underneath that it says"Page File 613MB used, 1261MB available". I haven't a clue what that means.

Edited by coventry

I'm not computer literate so please bare with me.

My directX version is 9.0c, not v9 or v10

I'm using Microsoft XP professional and my memory 768 MB RAM from what I can make out.

Version 9 is just fine. There are some reported issues with v10 which could have caused the problem.

You report 768 MB RAM - is the total RAM 1 GB? Do you have a Notebook or a PC?

/spelling corrected

Edited by webfact

I live out in the sticks and finding someone good to look at my computer are few and far between. I checked my computer and it's an AMD Phenom. Triple core processor. 2.1GHZ 768 MB of RAM. I tried explaining the problem to one guy who just said he couldn't find the problem. Suggesting too many people were using the web.

Edited by coventry

1. Are you using software such as Outlook, Outlook express, Eudora, Thunderbird?

2. Or are you using the websites to access Yahoo mail and Google GMail?

3. What virus checker are you using?

If you are using software remove and re-install, use different software, or use the web interface.

If you are using the websites, try using a different web browser, eg Firefox.

1. No I'm using none of these

2. Yes I'm using the web sites

3. AVG

AVG may well be the problem.

Go to my computer, control panel, add or remove programmes, highlight AVG and remove.

Then run your computer for a few days and see how it operates, you can always reinstall if needed.

AVG may well be the problem.

Go to my computer, control panel, add or remove programmes, highlight AVG and remove.

Then run your computer for a few days and see how it operates, you can always reinstall if needed.

I would agree with this.

It should be fairly obvious after removing AVG and rebooting if your problem is fixed, don't forget the reboot!

If all is OK, and your mail works normally there is no reason why you should not try re-downloading and re-installing a fresh copy of AVG.

"Open to infections.." Just play safe. It is OK to visit sites such as BBC, yahoo, etc, and bookmark the AVG site for your download rather than doing a google search for it :) .

Removing my AVG will leave me naked and open to infection, won't it ?

Coventry,

I will assume you bought your computer from a local Somchai shop, and also assume it came loaded with God knows what that said Somchai loaded onto your hard drive.

The first thing I usually do is to remove all the crap these shops load.

If you are able to do a search within this forum on antivirus or antivirus protection then please do.

I cant advise you what you should have on your own pc, thats why they are personal, its a personal choice, however the following are free to download, Comodo, Avast, Advanced System Care and PC Tools Anti Virus.

Make your own choice on what you feel happy with.

I wouldnt advise operating without some sort of anti virus installed, however only you can decide what you fell confident with, I wouldnt load more than one on my system at the same time, may well be conflict.

I feel sure your problems lie with AVG, so download one of the anti virus programmes mentioned or another of your choice based on your research, then uninstall AVG and run the other one you download, this should take care of you worries of being naked and open to infection.

Maybe someone more computer literate than I can advise you of better options.

I have a relatively new computer and basically use it for writing Emails. When I start to write them all appears to be normal, but as the Email gets longer the letters don't keep up with the pressing of the keys. So after a few paragraphs the whole thing more or less freezes and becomes usless. I save it to draft and continue the Email at a later time and go through this process until the Email is finished.

Does anyone else have/had this problem ? If so, is it correctable ? It happens on Yahoo and Google. It doesn't do it while writing this. I have cleaned my hard drive and have stacks of room on it. Thanks

I actually write my e-mails in word, saving frequently, and then copy and paste. The reason for this is that several times I have written a long e-mail, only to accidently touch some key..I don't know which..and the whole lot disappears.

I actually write my e-mails in word, saving frequently, and then copy and paste. The reason for this is that several times I have written a long e-mail, only to accidently touch some key..I don't know which..and the whole lot disappears.

Good one and the spel checking is better aswell. :)

I've had long strings of reply emails that basically stopped being able to write back. I would start over with the same person and be fine. Run 2 gigs of memory so should be fine on that. I would definitely get more memory if easy to install on that laptop.

Hi

I had a customer with a similar if not identical problem, the laptop developed a progressive slow-down while typing an email on hotmail. short quick replies were fired thru promptly but long winded emails caused the system to grind to a halt. Turned out to be Skype of all things, memory leak or some such maybe the PM service it runs. Not 100% on the reason but when it next starts slowing down try a CTRL-ALT-DEL and see if there is any process using too much CPU. Sounds like either a 512mg and 256mg stick in the system or a 1Gb config with 256mg shared video ram, even tho 2Gb is prefered a system can run fine on 768 conditional that there is not too many processes going at once. As for AVG i would agree with the others on that and change to something your happy with :)

cheers

Good morning.

Shame that the AVG removal did not solve the problem, reinstall it if you have not done so already.

I assume that you are using the Internet Explorer browser, and that you occasionally delete temporary internet files (TOOLS/Internet options/Delete.. etc).

Have you tried using another browser?

The problem could be hardware related, reseating your RAM could help, spyware related, or software related.

But it would be a good idea to run some tests first., "PC Pitstop" has helped me on a couple of occasions, it is free, reliable, and safe..

1. Go to pcpitstop.com, use internet explorer for this.

2. Ignore all the flashy adverts, halfway down the left hand side it says "Full Test FREE", click on that.

3. Then select "Test this system"

4. The site will then prompt you to accept a small browser download, and will then run many tests and benchmarks on your PC, memory, hardware, display, processor, software etc.

This will highlight any problems with your system, and should, with any luck help with your situation.

I have found PC Pitstop to be very good, and run it on my system every few months even if there are no problems with my system.

Let me know what happens.

Edited by davee58

My vote for Thunderbird!

Agreed for a new user.

I use Eudora as I have been doing so for many years and have archived mail.

Thunderbird would not import the archive successfully. :)

Both products now have the same engines.

actually write my e-mails in word, saving frequently, and then copy and paste. The reason for this is that several times I have written a long e-mail, only to accidently touch some key..I don't know which..and the whole lot disappears.

When it disappears, "right click" before you doing anything else and select "undo" from the drop down menu. It'll all come back.

Edited by webfact
Quote fixed

The reason for all this is simple - you are running out of memory.

Use a decent email client and the problem is fixed.

Anyone who writes email on-line is asking for trouble.

Dont ever remove your AV protection - that will simply exacerbate your problems.

Leave Skype alone - next thing is some idiot will tell you to remove XP

The problem is more apparent in Thailand because of its immature Internet infrastructure.

Thunderbird is excellent, your modus operandi is a little antiquated, is all.

- 1 GB of memory should be more than enough for online e-mails unless the memory is not being recognised or loads of other apps are running.

My last laptop had half a Gig and still runs fine,

- No, but the problem might be bypassed

- Many people write their e-mails online especially in internet cafes

Dont ever remove your AV protection - that will simply exacerbate your problems.

- Unless it is suspected to be the problem, and is being investigated.

- No comment on that one, though I do prefer Vista :D

The problem is more apparent in Thailand because of its immature Internet infrastructure.

- This is a local problem on Coventrys laptop

- Different operating procedure, online or offline.

I did not have time to learn Thunderbird, too lazy. I use Outlook at home or the Online websites when accessing personal mail at work

No offence intended by the red font NumbNutts, just using it to highlight my comments.

Your first point "Running out of memory" is interesting.

Is the memory faulty, is it all recognised, is it properly seated, or is there a motherboard problem.

Coventry, I assume that you are not running Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Lightroom at the same time as you are sending the e-mails. :)

Cheers

Dave..

When I write Emails I run nothing else, full stop. I know zilch about computers and I don't do all the fancy stuff that all you guys do. I don't even know how to copy and paste. By the way my computer isn't a laptop.

Maybe telling you this may help. Sometimes when switching on my computer my keyboard doesn't come on. So I have to unplug it and reinsert it into a different port before it'll work.

- 1 GB of memory should be more than enough for online e-mails unless the memory is not being recognised or loads of other apps are running.

My last laptop had half a Gig and still runs fine,

- No, but the problem might be bypassed

- Many people write their e-mails online especially in internet cafes

- Unless it is suspected to be the problem, and is being investigated.

- No comment on that one, though I do prefer Vista :D

- This is a local problem on Coventrys laptop

- Different operating procedure, online or offline.

I did not have time to learn Thunderbird, too lazy. I use Outlook at home or the Online websites when accessing personal mail at work

No offence intended by the red font NumbNutts, just using it to highlight my comments.

Your first point "Running out of memory" is interesting.

Is the memory faulty, is it all recognised, is it properly seated, or is there a motherboard problem.

Coventry, I assume that you are not running Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Lightroom at the same time as you are sending the e-mails. :)

Cheers

Dave..

Dave, agree with your reply, you beat me to it.

Just read Coventrys post again, he says he has 768 memory, that will be a 512 and a 256 card.

May well be has a memory conflict, would suggest removing the 256 card and see what happens.

Who knows may even just need reseated or cleaned with a rubber, in fact I would remove both cards, clean them both then reinsert the 512 card and see what happens.

None taken Dave - would like to hear from the OP though.

Internet latency problems, zombies, hijacks - there's a jazillion reasons why an O/S would grind to a halt on line.

I simply would never write a thesis 'on-line'

Common sense tells ya to get in and out pronto - especially running a M$ O/S

I dont use Cyber Cafes - ever. I run businesses.

There is nothing to learn in TB - it is simply an email client - you write it offline and then send.

Doing it online leaves about 250 ports open to attack - ever wonder why your NB/PC sucks?

It is fighting for its life. I use Linux only online - we call it safe-sex.

I wouldnt tear the box apart - he is a self-confessed noob - and look for love in all the wrong places.

If it runs good offline and has not bugs/virus/roots - leave it be. Next thing is it wont even boot.

Self medication is a fatal business, as is brewing ones own.

another vote here for Thunderbird and enabling your GMAIL for POP3/IMAP, preference being IMAP because any action in Thunderbird gets replicated in GMAIL. it can be done. there is a learning curve but you should have it all up and running in an hour or so.

google for guides on how to set this up or perhaps somebody here could go over the basics...

Edited by thetravellingcat