Requirements For Non-immigrant "0" Visa

I will be applying for a non-immigrant "0" visa at Los Angeles consulate. I am a USA citizen -age over 50. ( I do not have the finances to apply for retirement visa ). I would like to stay in Thailand for up to 1 year. Reason: check out retirement locations, possible home purchase, and some extended medical treatments. Will these reason meet the requirement for (4 x 90) multiple entry non-immigrant "0" visa. How amendable is Los Angeles Consulate to non-immigrant "0" visa's. Is there a more amendable USA consulate for this visa?? I will be applying via mail. Thanks

Based on their reputation, I would forget LA for that. Definitely don't mention retirement, they will then tell you to apply for an O-A.

If you fail to bag a one year O from another consulate, you can still stay for a year. Start with a double entry tourist visa (2 stays of 60 days, each one can be extended 30 days in Thailand). Then you can obtain another double entry tourist visa in Laos. Too many visa runs? Well, yes, but even with the annual O you will need to leave Thailand every 90 days.

Edited by Jingthing

Non-Imm "O" is for visitation of family in Thailand. If you cannot show the req'd proof for visiting family, then they will deny your application. Just get 60-day tourist visa, then extend another 30-days when your here in Thailand. Once your tourist visa expires, you can go to an embassy in KL, Penang, Singapore, etc. and just get a new one. Of course you don't need a visa at all if your willing to leave every 30-days and re-enter on tourist stamps (by airplane only).

Non-Imm "O" is for visitation of family in Thailand. If you cannot show the req'd proof for visiting family, then they will deny your application. Just get 60-day tourist visa, then extend another 30-days when your here in Thailand. Once your tourist visa expires, you can go to an embassy in KL, Penang, Singapore, etc. and just get a new one. Of course you don't need a visa at all if your willing to leave every 30-days and re-enter on tourist stamps (by airplane only).

We went to the Thai Consulate in LA 4 years ago asking for a Non-Immigrant-O-Visa with multiple entries based on visiting friends/relative - they told us that this type of visa is only if you are married to a Thai Woman. So forget LA!!! Try Perth or Brisbane Australia, or Hull England.

I agree forget LA. There are other consulates in the US that may grant you the O. Look at ones in Texas for example. Contact them first to confirm that they will be friendly to your application, especially since I presume you probably live in California, not Texas. My guess is your proposal to have medical treatments is your strongest reason, but it would be helpful if you had the name of a doctor you know in Thailand to back it up, or even a letter.

Edited by Jingthing