New Big Fancy Shopping Mall Being Built

WinnieTheKhwai

Central has plans to build something fancy and high-end, on the 8 rai or so of land that they own at the intersection of the Outer Ring and the Hang Dong road.

You heard it here first. :)

Which road is the outer ring road? The one Big C is on, or the next one that runs between Saraphi and Samoeng?

Is there a sign/name on the development yet?

My understanding was that Central was building on the ring road but just along from the Carrefour centre (opp direction to makro). The only other major centre being planned is by a dutch company whose office is in the Nimmenhemin area

Central has plans to build something fancy and high-end, on the 8 rai or so of land that they own at the intersection of the Outer Ring and the Hang Dong road.

Odd choice as it would cut in to their airport Plaza custom.

Central are very good at studying demographics and traffic patterns before developing so if its correct there must be a lot of traffic in that area

Which road is the outer ring road? The one Big C is on, or the next one that runs between Saraphi and Samoeng?

I believe the outer ring road is the 121, well that what I call it anyway. right close to my house so that'll be handy

Is there a sign/name on the development yet?

My understanding was that Central was building on the ring road but just along from the Carrefour centre (opp direction to makro). The only other major centre being planned is by a dutch company whose office is in the Nimmenhemin area

talk of a new mall had been on the cards for awhile

Nation reported earlier this year

I believe the outer ring road is the 121, well that what I call it anyway. right close to my house so that'll be handy

It's good you have some idea where you are and where it may be, but could you enlighten me? Your response contained no information I can use. tia

You heard it here first. :D

Odd choice as it would cut in to their airport Plaza custom.

Central are very good at studying demographics and traffic patterns before developing so if its correct there must be a lot of traffic in that area

A lot of traffic in chiang mai ?? never :)

You heard it here first. :D

It's good you have some idea where you are and where it may be, but could you enlighten me? Your response contained no information I can use. tia

The one with Big C/HomePro (and Global House further to the east) is the inner ring road. The outer ring road is indeed the Samoeng to Saraphi one. (Unless I have misunderstood things :) )

/ Priceless

The one with Big C/HomePro (and Global House further to the east) is the inner ring road.

I thought that one was the middle ring road, just to add to your confusion. :)

That's what I thought too. Anyhow, thanks everyone for your claifications. 8 rai doesn't sound like much of anything. I was only concerned about potential traffic impact.

The one with Big C/HomePro (and Global House further to the east) is the inner ring road.

I thought that one was the middle ring road, just to add to your confusion. :D

Yes, I remember discussing this with you at one of the ThaiVisa parties :D Sometimes (or by some people) Mahidol road, i.e. the one that passes Central Airport Plaza, is considered a ring road, in which case it would be the inner one. In that case the Big C/Homepro one would indeed be the middle one. The Samoeng - Saraphi road is always the outer one, though :D To maximize confusion they are sometimes called 1st, 2nd and 3rd ringroad, or just 1st and 2nd in case you don't count Mahidol :)

To sum it up, the road past Big C/HomePro is called either the 1st, 2nd, inner or middle ring road. This is Thailand :D

/ Priceless

Forgetting that the moat protected the old city, Chiang Mai actually has five ring roads, although not all are rings - the inner moat road, the outer moat road, the superhighway, the inner ring road, and the outer.

The one we're talking about here is in fact the inner ring road, which starts at the Canal Road (south of town), under the junction where the new plaza will be, over the Lampang/Bangkok road, under the SanKhampaeng, Chiang Rai and Mae Jo Roads, and then under the Mae Rim road by the men's prison and the large gov buildings... it then terminates at the Canal Road farther west (north of town). The outer goes from the Canal Road (south) to the Mae Rim road and links up with the start of the Canal Road (north) :)

Edited by jackr

Forgetting that the moat protected the old city, Chiang Mai actually has five ring roads, although not all are rings - the inner moat road, the outer moat road, the superhighway, the inner ring road, and the outer.

The one we're talking about here is in fact the inner ring road, which starts at the Canal Road (south of town), under the junction where the new plaza will be, over the Lampang/Bangkok road, under the SanKhampaeng, Chiang Rai and Mae Jo Roads, and then under the Mae Rim road by the men's prison and the large gov buildings... it then terminates at the Canal Road farther west (north of town). The outer goes from the Canal Road (south) to the Mae Rim road and links up with the start of the Canal Road (north) :)

Shyt jack ! yer getting me confused now. I guess that that's not difficult though :D

Edited by john b good

Yes, I remember discussing this with you at one of the ThaiVisa parties :D Sometimes (or by some people) Mahidol road, i.e. the one that passes Central Airport Plaza, is considered a ring road, in which case it would be the inner one. In that case the Big C/Homepro one would indeed be the middle one. The Samoeng - Saraphi road is always the outer one, though :D To maximize confusion they are sometimes called 1st, 2nd and 3rd ringroad, or just 1st and 2nd in case you don't count Mahidol :)

To sum it up, the road past Big C/HomePro is called either the 1st, 2nd, inner or middle ring road. This is Thailand :D

/ Priceless

Thanks for clearing that up, Priceless :D . The mystery of the non-existence of an inner ring road is now cleared up for me.

The ring roads are not to be confused with the Superhighway Rd which begins at Amari Rhincome intersection, goes past Wat Jed Yod, Lotus Kham Thieng, over the Superhighway Bridge, passes the Thepunya Hospital (formerly Chiangmai Ram II) and mysteriaoulsy becomes the Chiangmai-Lampang Rd.

Lampang by the way is not to be confused with Lamphun, which I've often meant to visit (or is it Lampang that I've meant to visit?) but haven't got around to.

There you have it, the road system in a nutshell, all cleared up, sort of.

/ Priceless

Thanks for clearing that up, Priceless :D . The mystery of the non-existence of an inner ring road is now cleared up for me.

The ring roads are not to be confused with the Superhighway Rd which begins at Amari Rhincome intersection, goes past Wat Jed Yod, Lotus Kham Thieng, over the Superhighway Bridge, passes the Thepunya Hospital (formerly Chiangmai Ram II) and mysteriaoulsy becomes the Chiangmai-Lampang Rd.

Lampang by the way is not to be confused with Lamphun, which I've often meant to visit (or is it Lampang that I've meant to visit?) but haven't got around to.

There you have it, the road system in a nutshell, all cleared up, sort of.

Thank you for the excellent further clarification :D

/ Priceless