Tot Internet Speed

rohitsuk

just letting out some air here, the internet here really is bad and i do not know how they (thailand) wants to keep companies that need fast internet speed happy, i can see alot of companies moving to other regions, maybe better speed in Vietnam? :)

They probably provide excellent dedicated service for those companies while offering to the (stupid) general public up to 2, 3, 5, 10, 100 or more mbps with no minimum guarantee, of course, for the basement bargain price 300 baht a month.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of today the Internet connection speed has reached an all time low. I had a faster connection 10 years ago in California using a 56K dial-up modem. I switched from Indy to Premier and Premier was slower so I switched back to Indy 3 MB. For the last two weeks the connection has been horrendous. It is deteriorating by the day.

I might add that I attempted the speed test but the page timed out trying to load. It takes about 5+ minutes for Yahoo email to load. That is ridiculous!

Edited by elektrified

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but anyway.

I recently brought a 3g AIS usb connection thingy. It has worked brillantly with no problems whatsoever. Speeds to Australian sites have been not very different to what I would expect in Australia.

568560509.png

568568095.png

If you live in range of the towers, it may be a way to get out of TOT hel_l. Expensive way, but that depends on how you look at it, if your willing to pay more to not gid rid of the internet hassel in your life then this seems to be the go. I ended up buying one cause the lady in charge of my apartment building turns off the internet when she thinks no ones using it, or when the router downstairs gets hot lol.

Costs 4000b to buy the connection thingy. And then there are plans such as 500B a month for 3gb. But im on the 900B a month plan for 15gb.

"Unpredictable" is the term as far as TOT speeds are concerned. It was down to less than a crawl just the other day, for most parts of the day too. Today (that's Sunday afternoon in Jomtien, my guess is that more people are online now doing downloads etc. than during the week), I get the following with a 2MB ADSL subscription:

569906555.png

Did a test just before that one and completely forgot that there were a few active torrent downloads going on in the background :):D oooops, that made my apparent speed look REAL bad. So: don't forget to elminate all relevant Internet activity while doing speed tests!

"Unpredictable" is the term as far as TOT speeds are concerned. It was down to less than a crawl just the other day, for most parts of the day too. Today (that's Sunday afternoon in Jomtien, my guess is that more people are online now doing downloads etc. than during the week), I get the following with a 2MB ADSL subscription:

569906555.png

I much regret to say that it is all too predictable in Chiang Mai.  Between 4-8am you might get 1.5 or so but this is it for the rest fo the 24 hour cycle and has been for nearly three weeks now.

569939230.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/569939230.png

Did a test just before that one and completely forgot that there were a few active torrent downloads going on in the background :):D oooops, that made my apparent speed look REAL bad. So: don't forget to elminate all relevant Internet activity while doing speed tests!

I also was experiencing the same issues as most of the posters, ADSL running at 22.5k modem speeds, maybe. After a few days of this I went downstairs to the front desk and ask them to call ToT as this was unacceptable. She was on the phone for about 10 minutes and finally said that T0T was experiencing issues across Thailand and did not have an ETA for resolution. So I go back to my room and guess what? Back up to normal speeds!

I did a few pings, tracerts and speedtests before I complained to the front desk. I repeated the tests after I complained and the ping and tracert results were the same but the speed increased to normal. My conclusion is that they are limiting bandwidth. Now, a couple of questions:

1. Are the local users experiencing this also?

2. When a foreigner gets a line do they check a little box in their database?

You may draw your own conclusion from the above.

I also was experiencing the same issues as most of the posters, ADSL running at 22.5k modem speeds, maybe. After a few days of this I went downstairs to the front desk and ask them to call ToT as this was unacceptable. She was on the phone for about 10 minutes and finally said that T0T was experiencing issues across Thailand and did not have an ETA for resolution. So I go back to my room and guess what? Back up to normal speeds!

I did a few pings, tracerts and speedtests before I complained to the front desk. I repeated the tests after I complained and the ping and tracert results were the same but the speed increased to normal. My conclusion is that they are limiting bandwidth. Now, a couple of questions:

Back in the USA, on occasion, the internet would have speed problems (I wish I could now get those problem speeds), I would call up the ISP and got the usual run around who react as if the problem was with my equipment, but miraculously, an 1 hour or so after the call, the internet would return to normal, coincidence I guess. :)

I use my apartment building's TOT wifi connection which, a little less than 2 weeks ago, was upgraded to 3meg from 2 meg. 2 weeks ago, after getting more disk storage, I decided to download some torrents after a long period of no extended downloads. I started about 11PM. When I woke up in the morning, I found about 1.5 gigs downloaded and 1.2 gigs uploaded. About 3 nights later, I downloaded some more torrents and got nearly 700 meg downloaded and 600 meg uploaded. I was shocked since I never got anywhere near that amount of data downloaded since leaving the USA. Maybe it's coincidental, as if some switch got turned off, as of a week ago, the downloads are no longer available. Even one very popular torrent that appears to have 1000s of seeds in a swarm but I cannot connect to even 1 0(3039). Of course, as most of you have reported, most of the time, I am getting well below dial-up speed for web page access. I am finally planning to go the main TOT office at least to lodge a polite complaint.

Edited by vagabond48

Our totally useless TOT account is in my son's name and he has Thai citizenship and I know several more expats have the same arrangement because it is so much easier for a Thai to do these things and we are all getting the same <deleted> useless speeds as the expat accounts. It appears to be hit and miss with all ISPs in every part of the country - good here sometimes, bad there (CM) all the time and so on.

But: Something is clearly very badly wrong with the internet in Thailand and my fear is that it is on the verge of total meltdown and collapse into chaos, thereby joining most else in the country - screwed all ends to the middle and back again.

The utterly astounding element in it all is that these ISPs - TOT, TT&T, True, CAT etc are the core of the communications industry in Thailand but have they communicated even ONE WORD about the problem to their millions of customers, Thai and expat, throughout the country.  You know the answer and even in this anti information non-communicative society and culture that is gob-smacking.

I make no apology for repeating myself:  Public executions are the answer and lots of them, starting with the CEOs of the non-commmunicaitons industry.

Off with their heads !

snip .....

When I woke up in the morning, I found about 1.5 gigs downloaded and 1.2 gigs uploaded. About 3 nights later, I downloaded some more torrents and got nearly 700 meg downloaded and 600 meg uploaded.

I just realized I neglected to clarify that the above numbers were in bytes not bits, making these numbers that more impressive for me.

Edited by vagabond48

570784114.png

A little before 7PM tonite [21st] on 3mb Pkg

..... after 2 visits from the " TOT Teckkies" today.

after we went through all the excuses, Modem, router, computer, switching box and what not.... they said the outside line was bad and TOT would be replacing. Take about a week.

Tekkie talk to English Translation ='s too many people sucking on the straw and no body is happy so they are going to put in another line. [in other words TOT is starting to loose customers]

I did ask if they could have some of the people from the billing dept. come out and check out the system. Why ??? Well it seems that that is the only dept of TOT that makes the schedule as promised.

As a final test, I did give them a banana each, they took it before scampering back up the ladder.... I watched also.... they peeled it from the bottom not the top. They were a little hairy too.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

570784114.png

A little before 7PM tonite [21st] on 3mb Pkg

..... after 2 visits from the " TOT Teckkies" today.

after we went through all the excuses, Modem, router, computer, switching box and what not.... they said the outside line was bad and TOT would be replacing. Take about a week.

Tekkie talk to English Translation ='s too many people sucking on the straw and no body is happy so they are going to put in another line. [in other words TOT is starting to loose customers]

I did ask if they could have some of the people from the billing dept. come out and check out the system. Why ??? Well it seems that that is the only dept of TOT that makes the schedule as promised.

As a final test, I did give them a banana each, they took it before scampering back up the ladder.... I watched also.... they peeled it from the bottom not the top. They were a little hairy too.

Same here just unusable for most purposes except between 4-8am when it flies (relatively speaking that is) so what could be wrong with the router, line, etc etc that rights itself in the wee small hours ???

Oh yes, they like bananas and did they peel them with their feet ?

The only time TOT 'inter' speed is ok is between 3am and 8am - continuing my on-going tests - I have now started doing tracert analysis and the problem is the connection between TOT's final Thai jump point and Singapore. I tested to US/European and Aussie sites and everytime there was a huge delay for this jump, so something must be wrong with cables/routing to Singapore - broken cable? unpaid bills to Malaysia telco?

Anyway daytime speeds while maybe single digit % improved - they are still abismal and the business disputes with TOT/TT&T/CAT/Jasmine dont make a speedy solution look likely. :)

I went to the TOT office Carrfour to pay the bill(don't know why...but did),while there I asked to check their speed.After a little opposition,thy did...BKK speed was astonishing at 6.4 Mbps DN,0.45 Mbps UP,and the international speed(!!!) 2.59 Mbps DN,0.25Mbps UP!!

After my last weeks visit in Mae Rim office,where they've had the same high BKK speed,but only 0.04 international,I was very surprised...I almost thought that there was same,same for everybody,but NOT!...so the high international internet does exist in Thailand!...why today my speed is only 0.04(!!!) and I'm on the 3 M plan???TIT???ADVENTURELAND!!! :):D:D

Had decent speed for 5 days now (1.5 upto 2.3) but today it's 0.0001 bytes per hour again.

I noticed that same thing. Odd thing during the "decent" speed times was that the network would still not support a 32kbps audio stream, although YouTube videos would load twice as fast as you could view them. But... back to "undecent" speeds today. Or... would that be indecent?

I went to the TOT office Carrfour to pay the bill(don't know why...but did),while there I asked to check their speed.After a little opposition,thy did...BKK speed was astonishing at 6.4 Mbps DN,0.45 Mbps UP,and the international speed(!!!) 2.59 Mbps DN,0.25Mbps UP!!

After my last weeks visit in Mae Rim office,where they've had the same high BKK speed,but only 0.04 international,I was very surprised...I almost thought that there was same,same for everybody,but NOT!...so the high international internet does exist in Thailand!...why today my speed is only 0.04(!!!) and I'm on the 3 M plan???TIT???ADVENTURELAND!!! :):D:D

that's interesting but maybe they just have them on a non throttled or separate network for promotional purposes and everybody else is on the "you already signed up sucker network"

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Unintended Truth....

Notice the TrippleT 3BB (ex TT&T) advert on the front page of this forum re it's new 10 meg "service" proudly announces that, "Size does not matter".

A slight slip into the truth here for a Thai ISP since the size of your itnernet plan, 2,4,10 megs certainly does NOT matter since you get the same useless speed whatever you have been conned into paying for, including this one from TrippleT according to an OP.

I decided to leave my PC on 2 nights ago and got a meager 36 meg B in the morning but I noticed some decent speed about 11AM so I left it on when I left my room for the day. I came back in the afternoon past 3PM and got over 500 meg B. Left it on last night again, got 76 kB. I guess the alarm went on again so they turned off the faucet. :)

TOT internet almost completely at a standstill for the last two days - even Thiavisa fails to load most of the time. Strangely though, Skype and torrents seem to not be affected. While I couldn't sign into Yahoo yesterday afternoon, uTorrent was happily absorbing a TV programme at 200kbs plus (and before you say it, stopping the download had no effect on the speed relating to regular pages in or out of the country). Why might that be?

Wow, just took me 5 minutes to download (including one page refresh) the reply form. I am thinking that TOT must be one of the worst ISPs in the world. Isn't TV.com hosted in Singapore?

I'm not an expert on internet infrastructure but I think the reason why skype and torrents work ok is because they don't rely on the same domain name routing as websites and I think it might be this point in the network where TOT has clearly got something wrong. I have been using them for about 2 years now and they have been completely unreliable and rubbish for all that time. I was living in Chanthaburi before and had the TOT Gold package which was a complete load of old pants. It was foreign based websites that would take forever to load or just not load at all, particularly US based ones. I then moved back up to Bangkok and, unfortunately the only service on offer in my condo was good old TOT. Signed up for their 3 meg "platinum" package (sorry whilst I roll around on the floor, tears streaming with frustration) and, yes, you guessed, it is just as cr@p as the gold service. I've tried speed tests with Penang and they come out pitifully slow too.

I also have had the "it's your router that's not working properly" excuse - I went out and bought another one for 2000 baht which had exactly the same problem as the other perfectly good original router.

TOT are just a bunch of lazy good for nothings who just wait until the end of the month for their paychecks to arrive.

I tried True when I had an office in central Bangkok a couple of years ago and they seemed to be quite a bit better than TOT.

Alternatively, I guess one can always move to Singapore or Korea where they take this sort of stuff seriously.

We seem to be flying again. This at 5.30pm Thai time:

573500699.png

Have not seen these speeds (except at 5.30 AM) for three weeks at 5.30pm.

573492357.png

Yes, just surfing around last night and I noticed a sudden speed increase. My 2mbs service that has been giving me .05 to .20mps has suddenly jumped to 1.6mps to the U.S.A. :)

This happened once before when they installed a new telephone line to my house, but it only lasted 5 days and dropped again. Let's hope they finally resolved the problem.

yes same for me. I was getting 2.5 mb's and it was routing thru Japan instead of the Middle east. I think that might be the new Asian American cable that was recently completed. After about an hour my traffic started routing back thru the Middle east again and speeds dropped back down to .3 mbs. Hopefully they cut everybody over fairly soon. It would almost be like living in a developed country. Glad to hear someone else noticed this and I was not dreaming or something.