Bob's Bbq And Burgers - Near Lolitas And Soi Diana

Ulysses G.

I have tried this place twice and spent around 300 baht, but am still hungry when I leave. The food is well-prepared, but tiny portions and high prices. They "give" you a piece of corn which is about 20 percent the size of a whole one - gee thanks. :)

Very good baked beans, but a 100 baht portion is really worth about 35 baht because of the size. I am comparing with restaurants in Chiang Mai, but they usually seem about the same to me. What do Pattaya customers think?

Edited by Ulysses G.

If you don't like it don't go back. Even you admitted you like the baked beans. Did you happen to consider that the cost to make those beans taste so good was higher than other beans?

I like his ribs and chicken quite a bit, they cost more than if I made them myself or were to buy them from a street vendor; I know that before I eat there.

There are so many threads on this exact same subject, just different names of the restaurants. They are all the same, the food was good, but this is Thailand and it was too expensive.

To even mention corn is just ridiculous, I know you realize you can buy it from a street vendor of 10 Baht. But, they don't have to build a restaurant, pay rent, pay utilities, pay a staff, etc.

Bob's isn't in my top 10 restaurant list, but he has been in business for over 5 years, so he must be doing something right. If you don't like the food, or it was poor quality; then you have something to complain about, but to be constantly complaining about the price, it gets so old.

Thanks for the review, Ulysses. I don't appreciate you being dissed for making comments, that is what this forum is about. I tried Bob's once and had his so called burrito. The portion was OK, the taste was disgusting, and the price was not worth it. I don't agree that just because a business stays in business that they are always doing something right with the food. I know lots of places with truly crappy food that are selling something other than good food for a reasonable price, and they have found their niche to sell it. Also, when reviewing a place, price DOES matter to most of us. Its not everything, but it is most definitely something, and in no way should it ever be some of taboo to mention it. That is why I always try to include the price of items when I do my own reviews, and also often mention whether the item was good value, or not.

Edited by Jingthing

That wasn't a review of a restaurant, in fact he only commented on one food items quality, the baked beans which he said he liked.

It was the same old thing here knocking the prices of every foreign owned restaurant in this town because of the prices.

The only restaurant I have every seen in this forum not criticized because of its prices has been Cherry's on third road.

Other than that, the other 100 so-called reviews of foreign owned restaurants is always the same, "This is Thailand and the prices are too high."

Every restaurant I know of puts a menu outside so you can see the prices, if you think there too high, it is simple don't eat there.

Bob's isn't in my top 10 restaurant list, but he has been in business for over 5 years, so he must be doing something right. If you don't like the food, or it was poor quality; then you have something to complain about, but to be constantly complaining about the price, it gets so old.

If you read the OP again you will notice that UG wasn't complaining about the price but the portions you get.

I have tried this place twice and spent around 300 baht, but am still hungry when I leave. The food is well-prepared, but tiny portions and high prices. They "give" you a piece of corn which is about 20 percent the size of a whole one - gee thanks. :)

Very good baked beans, but a 100 baht portion is really worth about 35 baht because of the size. I am comparing with restaurants in Chiang Mai, but they usually seem about the same to me. What do Pattaya customers think?

At the risk of being arrested and jailed for defamation, I must add my two-cents worth to this assesment of "Bobs" . Bob has lost touch with good food and reality. In my humble opinion, his entire operation "Sucks" He is never there and does not properly supervise nor prepare his offerings. The meat is constantly reheated till sold and dry as a week old tortilla. The prices are absurb as are the pitiful portions. Four years ago, he had a so-so, Ok prodct to satisfy my Tennessee cravings but today, I wouldn't feed his crap to my dog. How he pays the rent is a mystery. I guess ther Lolita guys must need some meaty substanance for renewal after expelling their protien next door. :D

That wasn't a review of a restaurant, in fact he only commented on one food items quality, the baked beans which he said he liked.

It was the same old thing here knocking the prices of every foreign owned restaurant in this town because of the prices.

The only restaurant I have every seen in this forum not criticized because of its prices has been Cherry's on third road.

Other than that, the other 100 so-called reviews of foreign owned restaurants is always the same, "This is Thailand and the prices are too high."

Every restaurant I know of puts a menu outside so you can see the prices, if you think there too high, it is simple don't eat there.

Maybe that's because Cherry's is the only restaurant providing good value for money! Most of these other foreign owned places do indeed overcharge for the quality/quantity they provide.

Maybe that's because Cherry's is the only restaurant providing good value for money! Most of these other foreign owned places do indeed overcharge for the quality/quantity they provide.

Eaten in Cherry's yesterday, so, in my humble opinion, excellent quality, but not so cheap. Definitely not expensive either!

220 Baht for a dish is not expensive, but it is when the portion is a tad smallish so that you need an appetizer and a desert (both between 140 and 200 Baht) to have a filling meal.

All up price for 5 people was over 6,000 Baht but includes a bottle of wine (at 1200 Baht). It's them lovely (and they are good!) appetizers jacking up the price!

I do love the selection of little bread cuts you get!

And, the place was virtually empty. One other occupied table (of 5) when we came in, they left while we were eating to be replace by a table of 2... Scary for one of the more popular resto's on a Friday evening!

Eaten in Cherry's yesterday, so, in my humble opinion, excellent quality, but not so cheap. Definitely not expensive either!

220 Baht for a dish is not expensive, but it is when the portion is a tad smallish so that you need an appetizer and a desert (both between 140 and 200 Baht) to have a filling meal.

All up price for 5 people was over 6,000 Baht but includes a bottle of wine (at 1200 Baht). It's them lovely (and they are good!) appetizers jacking up the price!

I do love the selection of little bread cuts you get!

And, the place was virtually empty. One other occupied table (of 5) when we came in, they left while we were eating to be replace by a table of 2... Scary for one of the more popular resto's on a Friday evening!

I am not sure why he emphasizes BBQ when the place seems to be more about other items (e.g., hamburgers). The only thing I have eaten there that I liked was the chicken fried steak (aka country fried steak) w/ mashed potatoes and green beans......but it was overpriced.

As far as I am concerned, there is no smoked Texas BBQ place in Thailand.........certainly not what I am familiar with having grown up eating it. [As an aside, I can say the same thing about Tex-Mex Mexican food........not in Thailand.]

That means there are two niches that still have not been filled. The problem with both is that Thai beef is worse than disgusting........and Thai beef is overpriced! Use imported beef and the price goes way up in order to make a profit.

And that is why so many people push pork and chicken on customers.........when they want good beef.

I have to admit that I REALLY enjoyed Cherry's and I was not hungry when I left either. The waitor kept offering us more food, but we were stuffed on the best BBQ ribs that I have had in this part of the world so we did not need any extras.

By the way, Bob's was completely out of hamburger, so burgers were not even an option.

Maybe you went in early? I have gone to Cherry's early several times and been the only table, but by the time we have left, the place was almost full. :)

The portion size at most medium priced restaurants in Pattaya for 150 baht worth of food is fine for almost anyone - one is full after eating. Cherry's is more than fine and great quality as well.

A cob of corn costs something like 5 baht each. There is no reason at all to cut it in 5 portions unless one wants to force the customer to spend 350 baft for so-so food and then end up not satisfied. Portion size matters when the quality is nothing special and one ends up still hungry after eating. :)

Portion size is relative. To a person weighing in excess of say 100kg, most if not all portion sizes are too small. I have never considered portion size to be that important. Only quality matters, relative to cost.

I would reiterate that quality is always number 1.

Who cares about the portion size if the food is no good.

The mark of a good meal is to have you wanting more.

Unfortunately too many people are not satisfied unless they guts themselves.

I don't really eat hamburgers but i did try the Mos chicken terriaki burger and it was very good. It wasn't large but still it was tasty and enough for a small meal.

I don't really eat hamburgers but i did try the Mos chicken terriaki burger and it was very good. It wasn't large but still it was tasty and enough for a small meal.

Sorry, but if you think that a "Mos chicken terriaki burger" is tasty, you should not be lecturing anyone about taste - OK, or maybe barely acceptable would be a more accurate description.

The portion size is better than Bob's however. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I ate there last thursday. Not much of a mexican menu,but i choose the burito which tasted horrible :D My tee rak had to wait 40 minutes for her prawns fried with garlic & pepper with steamed rice(140 baht :D ) As i had finished mine, she decided to take away & also said there was no taste :) Oh & i forgot to mention we were the only people in there,so why it took so long i just don't know!!!

I ate there once when he just opened, nothing special, potato salad came on a tea saucer and only half full, what a joke. I guess his wife was running the show and they were preparing a large outside order, hence no service for me. Second time a few years later I ordered food to come to my office, 200 mtr up the road, thought he must have improved by now. Not so a burned piece of greasy meat and the rest was just a mess. Took pictures of it for the category "what you see is not what you get". NEVER will order from them ever again even when they pay me to eat there.

If you don't like it don't go back. Even you admitted you like the baked beans. Did you happen to consider that the cost to make those beans taste so good was higher than other beans?

I like his ribs and chicken quite a bit, they cost more than if I made them myself or were to buy them from a street vendor; I know that before I eat there.

There are so many threads on this exact same subject, just different names of the restaurants. They are all the same, the food was good, but this is Thailand and it was too expensive.

To even mention corn is just ridiculous, I know you realize you can buy it from a street vendor of 10 Baht. But, they don't have to build a restaurant, pay rent, pay utilities, pay a staff, etc.

"over 5 years, so he must be doing something right." not necessarily, he sells well to his fellow countrymen who are not really known for their culinary expertise. I bet you Bob is from Texas or so.

My intention is not to cause the guy problems. It is to clue him in that very few expats would eat there more than once. The food is not bad, but nothing to write home about and the portions are too small for the prices. I am hoping that he will do the smart thing and work out the kinks. It could be a decent business with some changes.

Cherry's was good again last night. They really do know what they are doing there! :)

double post. so... as an american, i can vouch that i can barely use the internet.
Thats funny, who said americans dont have a sense of humour ! :)

Pretty sure it was Groucho Marx.

I have to admit that I REALLY enjoyed Cherry's and I was not hungry when I left either. The waitor kept offering us more food, but we were stuffed on the best BBQ ribs that I have had in this part of the world so we did not need any extras.

By the way, Bob's was completely out of hamburger, so burgers were not even an option.

Sorry to differ, but their ribs are typical of Thailand, par-boiled then grilled. I've never had real barbecued ribs here (Bob's included).

Edited by Jimmyd