What Snake?

rikki

Not sure, but the shape of the head means that it could be a viper.

Be careful with that one.

I don't think it's a viper.

the head wasn't quite like a viper, and it looked so flat,

also the tail looks pointy and the eyes were dull

but I don't know much about snakes

I thought of a water snake or maybe a flying snake

Though the frog it was eating seemed dead after, so I guess it's a bit poisonous

BTW,whats the crest in the cranmer on your avatar?

Edited by rikki

That snake looks like it should be considerably longer, looks like it has been severed at some point, wierd looking tail end.

Definately a viper like head.

I think it's just a stubby body, another characteristic that is typical to vipers.

rikki, the crest in my avatar is that of Swindon Town FC which is the team I support.

here's the best shot I got of the head.My camera wasn't focussing well.

3912526010_eed4fb4bd5.jpg

I've seen snakes hanging around in puddles before, but I've only seen vipers in trees and bushes

thanks for the link garry, scary

bites, is an aggressive snake and advances very quickly

Its an Asian Viper , they get a little bit longer but much fatter than the young snake in the Photo . This snake is agressive and DEADLY , take care .

I better keep it out of that puddle then, I've stepped in it several times,and almost dropped the bike in it a few times

I disagree about it being a dangerous viper. It's a "Enhydris plumbea (Plumbeous Water Snake)". It is of the viper family but not dangerous. Eats frogs and fish. Coils into a "S" and flattens out just like your picture when provoked . Grey or Brownish top, yellow bottom.

My builders call it lunch

I have a very thorough guide to snakes of SE Asia and have seen more than I could shake a mick at in Oz

Be careful but despite no snakes i emerald Isle spurned feemales and drunken drivers are yer main hazard

Unless mad or a with a real wrangler

do not approach disturb or play with fauna as that idiot ozzie found out

Edited by RubbaJohnny

I disagree about it being a dangerous viper. It's a "Enhydris plumbea (Plumbeous Water Snake)". It is of the viper family but not dangerous. Eats frogs and fish. Coils into a "S" and flattens out just like your picture when provoked . Grey or Brownish top, yellow bottom.

Spot on Mrjlh.

~ Plumbeous Water Snake

Thai: ThaiSnakeName-74.gif (ngu pling)

The plumbeous water snake is a freshwater snake that can be found near bodies of water such as streams and lakes in lowland forests. It is diurnal and feeds on frogs as well as fish in the wild.

The body colour ranges from olive green to greyish yellow, and a vertebral row of tiny spots may be present. The ventrals are either whitish or pale yellow. The eyes are faced upwards. In Southeast Asia, this species is native to Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia,

extending upwards towards India.

On land they move somewhat clumsily. If threatened, they pull their body into an S-form and attack the aggressor. Although Enhydris plumbea is a type of viper, no known case of human poisoning is known.

74.jpg

Edited by xv1100

Careful around it, It appears to be a Viper of some sort. VERY similar in appearence to a Water Moccasin from the Souther US. Best way to tell is body and head shape.

Heading out to the Country today and will ask the Locals out there what it is.

post-76923-1252798514_thumb.png

rubbajonny, cool bearcat avatar

I stopped to see a roadkill snake in Laos,still wriggling, and while I was taking fotos a pickup stopped,,threw the snake in the back and drove off.

some more unidentified snakes here

including

2823382697_5a61b702a5.jpg

Is there generally anything snakewise to worry about, riding through muddy puddles?