Cassette Type Ceiling Air Con

In my new house, I have a kitchen that is connected to a dinning room (42SQM rectangle). And has a rather large opening into a living room (20.25SQM). Ceilings are normal height. This would be a total of 62SQM.

One contractor I have spoken with recommended a cassette style ceiling air con to do the job. And I do agree that it would look better, but have not read much about them. Plus I hear the costs for them are quite a bit more. This would be a rather large area to cool with one unit.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? They don't have these at the HomePro/HomeMart/etc. stores. And a few of the smaller air con shops don't have them either. Which makes me nervous. I would appreciate any comments you have.

Thanks!

Craig

I have at least 2 friends that have them and they work well. As you say they cost a bit more but they do the job. I had my new house fitted with the needed tubing and electrical to install a ceiling unit of my choice later if I decide the heat is too much for living room. Good air shops sell and install these units often. Check around you're area.

Cassette type air conditioner tend to be rather noisy and perhaps you should consider using a concealed type instead. Another recommendation, although they cost more up front, is to buy an inverter type. They will last longer and use considerably less energy than conventional types, thus more cost effective in the long run.

Craig: The above replies are correct and I want to add that when you find what appears to be a good "air condition shop", which in our area is also an authorized Siemens / LG / Electrolux appliance shop, insist that you see EXAMPLES of the actual installation done by that shop's staff of the cassette type (or other type you are considering). Look at how "clean" it looks and look at where the drainage pipes enter a water drain and most important see if they used 3 wires or only 2 wires to hook up the unit. The quality of the INSTALLATION is crucial in Thailand. You can spend serious money on top grade equipment, but if the staff that come to install your expensive items have the wrong tools, little experience and no actual manufactures training it can go South real fast. I will voice my complete satisfaction with both Daikin and Panasonic INVERTER "split type" air conditioners. Quiet and our electric meter does not "spin". Before we had a/c units installed in our newly built home we had been to job sites with the air conditioning being installed and another home where it was already in use. Good luck.

I would first install a timber framed glass sliding door system to separate the kitchen and dining area - 4 equal width panels, 2 fixed and 2 sliding. This will reduce your space to be air-con to about 40m2.

I would then consider 2 separate wall mounted air-con units of 15,000 BTU for the living and dining areas. Increase to 18,000 BTU should you have frequent guests.

Kamalabob2: Always an education here in Thailand. 2 vs 3 wires. I thought 3 would be standard? :)

trogers: Great suggestion. I like the ceiling mounted idea as it looks cleaner, but sounding like a lot more expensive. And we won't be using both areas all the time. So having them separated would be great. I think 18k BTUs in the kitchen/dinning room and 15k BTU in the living room. Should be great. I will look for inverter type also.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Before you chose the size Craig ask a professional about what you requirement as the room size itself is just but one parameter. The room's location and whether it is exposed to much sunlight (facing South) need also be considered, but even more so is how good an insulation your house has, i.e. type of window glass, walls and roof. As an example, it is a considerable difference if you walls are made up of the Thai bricks compared to if double layers of super blocks with a cavity have been used.

Finally, ensure that the pipes are properly insulated as the "standard" Thai insulation is insufficient as it provides too much "heat" loss.

post-8606-1253017826_thumb.jpgI have had a cassette type aircon unit installed in my new house. The living area is quite big so i am having a smaller unit installed aswell. The company said that the cassette would do for the size of the living area but i thought i would have a smaller unit just in case it is needed.