Jomtien Hawkers Driving Me Nuts

SoiGirlHunter

I get your point. Nothing wrong if you enjoy cashew nut chicken. I still don't think it is a great idea as a "tester" dish for an authentic Thai restaurant. Thanks for the tip for the good pad krapow, I will be there!

Another example of what I call farang Thai food.

Most farangs first exposure to it is probably in a Thai restaurant in their own country.

As JT says take a walk round your local food market, highly unlikely you will ever see it, if at all.

Have never seen it on a menu in a typical Thai restaurant, although have seen it offered in farang tourist type Thai restaurants.

Anytime I have had it, its been basically chicken oyster sauce with cashew nuts added.

JT, what do you consider an authentic Thai restaurant?

Reason for asking, the regional variations, northern style, Issan style, or my favourite, southern style food.

All in their region would be considered authentic, but may not be serving Thai food as you know it.

Just to add the the confusion, one of the most famous "Thai" restaurants in the States is Keo's Thai Cuisine in Hawaii. Owned by a Thai native who has been in biz for over 30 years.

He's quite famous and has attracted many well known celebrities from all over the world -- On his photo wall, pix of Keo with Mick Jagger, Michael Jackson, Jack Nicholson, etc., etc.

His signature dish is "Evil Jungle Prince" -- an example of what many in the States know as authentic Thai food.

On my first trip to Siam several years ago, a friend and I searched all over Bangkok for what we thought was "authentic" -- Nobody had a clue what we were asking for. Finally, some very large restaurant brought their chef out to our table and we attempted to explain Evil Jungle Prince -- He tried his best, but it simply couldn't compare to Keo's!

If anyone recognizes the EJP dish at the link below as something that is available in Thailand, please post the information. It's Delicious!

http://www.keosthaicuisine.com/menus/lunch/entrees.html

BTW, I just noticed that they have Cashew Nut Chicken for only 545 Baht! :)

Edited by SurfRider

Just to add the the confusion, one of the most famous "Thai" restaurants in the States is Keo's Thai Cuisine in Hawaii. Owned by a Thai native who has been in biz for over 30 years.

He's quite famous and has attracted many well known celebrities from all over the world -- On his photo wall, pix of Keo with Mick Jagger, Michael Jackson, Jack Nicholson, etc., etc.

His signature dish is "Evil Jungle Prince" -- an example of what many in the States know as authentic Thai food.

On my first trip to Siam several years ago, a friend and I searched all over Bangkok for what we thought was "authentic" -- Nobody had a clue what we were asking for. Finally, some very large restaurant brought their chef out to our table and we attempted to explain Evil Jungle Prince -- He tried his best, but it simply couldn't compare to Keo's!

If anyone recognizes the EJP dish at the link below as something that is available in Thailand, please post the information. It's Delicious!

http://www.keosthaicuisine.com/menus/lunch/entrees.html

BTW, I just noticed that they have Cashew Nut Chicken for only 545 Baht! :)

You wont find food of that name available in Thailand, for the simple reason it doesnt exist so they have never heard of it.

To these eyes it looks very much like a Penag curry, in fact the next time you visit this restaurant, order a Penang and compare.

In the UK you can buy food in Indian restaurants thats not even available in India.

I have people telling me the best tasting Mexican food is to be found in America.

However I digress

Most of these dishes will be flavoured by two facts, to suit the local palate and the availability of the ingredients required.

In Thailand I can go to various restaurants and order for example a Penang curry, they will contain the same ingredients and be cooked in the same style, however, the factor which will dictate the flavour is the curry paste being used.

Hence the reason, the wife and I will visit a restaurant to eat a particular style of food, if we want Massaman curry we will go to a place that specializes in Massaman curry, if we want Penang then we go to a different restauarant.

As JT says food evolves, peoples tastes change, to cater to the local market or the availability of ingredients all play a part.

An example would be, what exactly are authentic spring/egg rolls, they would be what you consider to be authentic, even if the same product isnt available in Thailand, doesnt make them any less authentic.

To be honest I have never been in a Thai restaurant that managed to cater for every taste, for the simple reason everyone's tastes are different.

Same as in the west, if I want steak I go to a steak house.

being from Hawaii I can attest to "EVP" being a very popular dish at dozens of Hawaii restaurants but my favorite Thai food that I used as my standard was "stuffed chicken wings" near to impossible to find here. One morning as a pleasant surprise I found them at JH Beans buffet table at the Pattaya City Expat Club on Sunday morning and for B130 got to gorge myself but never found them again.

Edited by bob4you

The other day I watched in amazement as Thai diners waiting for their food at a legit restaurant (not a food court, on Jomtien beach road) ordered som tum and fried seafood items from outside hawkers. The amazing thing is this legit restaurant offered similar items. I have to admit I have admiration for the tolerance implied by this, so it is not all bad.

Seen that many times where someone decided that they want something 'extra' from a vendor while already enjoying the food served by the restaurant they are sitting in. The fact that they can ask and get a clean plate from the restaurant so the vendor's food can be properly 'presented' always amazes me though.

Regarding a sign saying 'no thanks' in Thai. Several years ago, Fred Estes, a venerable Pattaya resident-tourist had a t-shirt made up that said in Thai "<deleted> off! If I want something, I will ask you!" and wore it to Jomtien beach. It got him (and his dog) a period of 'detention' at the old police station on 2nd road.

Edited by NanLaew