Fined In Kata

TaoNow

This is a somewhat trivial encounter with the Chalong police, but I think all TV members need to post any encounters with Thai police that involve fines, arrests, etc., to present a broader picture of how they perform their duties (or not as the case may be).

It was late afternoon last week. I had driven my motorcycle about one KM from the guest house to Kata Beach (in front of Club Med) to enjoy the nice post-storm sunset. Since I only planned to stay on beach road I did not take my helmet. I decided to ride over to Karon to check out the surf but, as I came down the hill from north Kata and reached that 3-way intersection near Starbucks, there were several policemen whistling bare-headed bikers to a stop. The officer who stopped me was polite but stern, and immediately wrote out a ticket. He made no suggestion that I could pay a bribe nor did I offer to. He confiscated my license and said I could pick it up at Chalong police station the next day at 10 a.m. after paying the fine. The fine was 300 baht and I received an official receipt at Chalong PS.

I only offer this (unexciting) report because, more often than not, it seems that posts on TV about the Thai police (and other government officials) are usually negative. I realize the negative encounters are a form of venting, and may be more interesting to readers, but the effect of just posting the bad experiences is to skew opinion of those who've never been to Thailand and are trying to form an objective opinion about life here.

One tip based on my experience last week: I would recommend that bikers show their bike registration (if owned) or rental agreement when presenting their license to the police.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The police are just doing there job, under Thai law you must wear a helmet while riding a motorbike, its the same in most country's, if everyone wore a helmet as required there would be a lot less fatal accidents involving motorbikes in Thailand, i personally would never ride without a helmet, it does not matter how fare you go you can have a accident if you are only traveling a few hundred meters. Its not only death you have to worry about, to me permanent brain damage would be far worse who wants to be a vegetable for the rest of there life. more farangs are pulled over because we can afford the fine, Thais are pulled over to and a 300 baht fine could quite easly be more than they earn for a days work. I have no problem with the Thai police doing there duty, abey the law and be polite and they will treat you fine.

I have to agree with Peter. Why do people who knowingly break the law and risk their lives whinge and whine when they are fined ? :) The excuse that " Since I only planned to stay on beach road I did not take my helmet. " Is a crock of !!!!

Acidents don't happen on the beach rd then ? I have friends here on Samui who regularly get busted for no helmet yet never wear one.Go figure,Some people just never learn :D Idiots everyone of them!

Now Now Tao now you should know that it is against the law to ride around without a helmet its makes no difference if your only on the beach rd or a busy road, the tarmac will feel the same if your head hits it. You realy have no argument on here it was your own fault you know the rules and laws regarding helmets, plus with the standard of thai road users id wear 1 if i was screwing round my garden.

Edited by mrukman

Is the OP whining about being fined or actually just informing everyone that not all BIBs are on the take?

I read the post that the OP knows he was breaking the law and when he saw the cops expected to be pulled over, but was actaully surprised that he was issued a formal ticket and told to go to the cop shop the next morning.....This would go against the trend of being pulled over and paying a bribe upfront to the BIBs own pocket and then going on you merry way.

Is the OP not actaully just highlighting that the police actaully did a good job in this case??

Yes agree with MarkSamui. First three responders, especially H2oDunc, completely missed the point of the OP. Ironic because one of his points was all the complaints we see of the BIB taking bribes on ThaiVisa, and he was not complaining. His point was they didn't give him a chance to take a bribe, and seem to have actually been doing their jobs. He was in no way complaining. Just the opposite in fact.

And in response to your question Taonow, I don't hear nearly as many complaints here in Phuket about the bribes being paid to police on the spot as I do from most other areas. The one time I was stopped and fined for no helmet, (I almost always wear a good one) I was not given a chance to pay on the spot. But the officer wrote the ticket to "Mr. (my frist name only)", and didn't ask for my license at all, but actually took my keys from me, and made me go to the Police station on the other end of Patong, pay the fine. Which at the time was 150baht I think, (I walked there refusing to pay the motorbike taxi's which were cued next to the officer so to take offenders to the police station, but paid with another 80 baht I think for motobike taxi back) Also at Karon circle at times I see a payment station set up at the police box. I once saw over 20 people standing at it waiting to pay.

Remember that in Thailand the police get paid (the legal part of their salary anyway) based on how many tickets and arrests are made. Thailand is a place based purely on profit, with little or no regard to actual adherence to law, public safety or environmental concern unless one of two things happens. 1) There is money in it for someone ( or loss of money) , or 2) a public official or officials loses or stands to lose face. And on top of that, Phuket has the strongest mafia's in Thailand which the police are completely powerless to combat, and in reality are more working alongside them. It seems everyone is somehow related to one of these mafia's, even if they don't fully realize it. (Look at all the stickers on the windows of cars in Phuket showing various club and orginizational affiliations for example. Even I have one) Anything involving tourism or transportation (i.e. big money) the mafia's will be getting a share and providing protection. Oddly, it's all quite transparent.

Edited by Scubabuddha

I walked there refusing to pay the motorbike taxi's which were cued next to the officer so to take offenders to the police station
It is even easier, they can pay for you, so you get your keys back from the officer and can drive on straight away.

I just saw a couple of bare-headed farangs on a bike being pulled over at the same spot. Had to chuckle as I drove past in the pick-up.

Perhaps we should start a "BiB Checkpoint List" thread for those who don't know about wearing helmets on bikes, seat belts in cars & pick-ups, etc.

PS. I also see Thais being ticketed occasionally, so the BiB are not only targeting farangs. I guess most Thais know when to reach into the basket and put the helmet on for 30 seconds as they pass the BiB.

Edited by JetsetBkk

The police are just doing there job, under Thai law you must wear a helmet while riding a motorbike, its the same in most country's, if everyone wore a helmet as required there would be a lot less fatal accidents involving motorbikes in Thailand, i personally would never ride without a helmet, it does not matter how fare you go you can have a accident if you are only traveling a few hundred meters. Its not only death you have to worry about, to me permanent brain damage would be far worse who wants to be a vegetable for the rest of there life. more farangs are pulled over because we can afford the fine, Thais are pulled over to and a 300 baht fine could quite easly be more than they earn for a days work. I have no problem with the Thai police doing there duty, abey the law and be polite and they will treat you fine.

:D

As usual most of you "regulars" don't read the article before you rush in with your opinions..the guy was only pointing out that the BIB this time actually did it by the book......as they rarely do!

A small point if i may..not 100% concerning BIB but VIP [motorcyclists]

Your concern about wearing a helmet to prevent death, or worse.... to become a vegie is great and a fear well founded.

I can only presume in this case that you have bought yourself a REAL helmet..average cost of about 15000 baht but up to 40000 baht and more....if not ...hope you believe in buddha!! because thats all thats gonna save you! The plastic pot that people wear on their heads is an absolute waste of time.

Some sort of sick joke!!!

So your statement "if everybody wore a helmet there would be a lot less deaths" would only be a truism if ALL had a REAL SAFETY HELMET.Thais cannot afford them[ and realistically can not afford not to afford one..but..life is cheap in LOS] but anyone else at all concerned at not becoming a vegie should!

I am angry that that powers that be make one wear a helmet that does not have one iota of impact resisting benefit to protect ones cranium from devastating injury in T/land or conform to ANY standard purely to save paying a fine.

IT IS A JOKE..but sadly it is the law! :)

The shit helmets that 95% of people wear here are good for TWO things only;

[1] To keep your hair dry in the rain.

[2] So you can ride around T/land without worrying about paying a fine.

Edited by DEM

Hi

You forget one thing, its not about safety at all, i have been pulled over many times, ones i paid and took my helmet on the nice Police man told me i did not need to take the lid on, i had a piece of paper now i could show if another nice police man stopped me, so nothing about safety

I'm thinking many people here don't know how the system works.  Quite often the big boss wants to make sure he gets his cut, so he too wants to see those that got pinched come in with some paperwork for his audit trail.  Accounting 101 for the BIBS! 

Of course the BIBs also get their cut from the motorbike taxis that just happen to be waiting at the police checkpoint.  These spotchecks and checkpoints aren't about upholding the law, it's all about the baht.

I have been ticketed several times over the years on my scoot. No complaints their rules their game. The only thing that does get to me is sitting there taking my medicine when a Sikh shoots right by and all he has on is his turban. Whats up with that?????? I'm just saying............

Many countries give Sikhs an exemption from wearing a crash helmet on religious grounds. UK as an example : In accordance with the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976 passed by the British Parliament in 1976, Section 2A "exempts any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban" from having to wear a crash helmet.

I have been ticketed several times over the years on my scoot. No complaints their rules their game. The only thing that does get to me is sitting there taking my medicine when a Sikh shoots right by and all he has on is his turban. Whats up with that?????? I'm just saying............

Same in the UK, I seem to remember. Sikh's have dispensation over wearing helmets.

I work in Phuket town. The police there stop ANYONE not wearing a helmet. Clearly, in town, its mainly Thai people. And i can tell you they get pretty short shrift. If they can't pay, their bike is locked up and the licence taken.

I have NEVER seen them take money directly. They always give a ticket which is payable at the police station. Yes, sure, the cops get a percentage of the fine, i think it's 10 percent - but i have no problem with that. It makes them enforce the law. I have to say that most people seem to be getting the message and are now wearing helmets.

That's one hurdle that is finally getting climbed.

The next hurdle is one of testing, benchmarking and certifying helmets. Remember, this is a DEVELOPING country. They cannot possibly implement and enforce developed country laws. Remember, it was like this in our home countries once. There used to be NO certification for helmets in the UK. Gradually, slowly, they brought it in. It's unrealistic to expect Thailand to do this overnight. With education about safety, it will come. May be another 10 or more years, but it will come.

As will an enforcement of 2 people only on a motorbike.

Give it time. Educate the people and set an example. Make sure YOU wear your lid. And tell your friends to too.

Please do not believe or spread stories like "a plastic pisspot is useless" because that gives people the impression that you may as well not wear a helmet. A mid-range, 1,000 baht helmet certainly lacks the European spec safety certification, however, it is better than nothing. Whilst i won't argue about its impact resistance, it will certainly give valuable abrasion resistance in typically low speed crashes. Imagine sliding down the road on your head at 50 kmh. Any lid is better than no lid.

It will also give protection from flying debris, like stones flicked up from vehicles in front.

The point is, wear the best lid you can afford, wear it for each motorbike journey you make. Change it if you drop it. Don't let it sit in the sun, and change it every 12 months anyway.

Safe riding.

As usual most of you "regulars" don't read the article before you rush in with your opinions..the guy was only pointing out that the BIB this time actually did it by the book......as they rarely do!

Your concern about wearing a helmet to prevent death, or worse.... to become a vegie is great and a fear well founded.

I can only presume in this case that you have bought yourself a REAL helmet..average cost of about 15000 baht but up to 40000 baht and more....if not ...hope you believe in buddha!! because thats all thats gonna save you! The plastic pot that people wear on their heads is an absolute waste of time.

So your statement "if everybody wore a helmet there would be a lot less deaths" would only be a truism if ALL had a REAL SAFETY HELMET.Thais cannot afford them[ and realistically can not afford not to afford one..but..life is cheap in LOS] but anyone else at all concerned at not becoming a vegie should!

I am angry that that powers that be make one wear a helmet that does not have one iota of impact resisting benefit to protect ones cranium from devastating injury in T/land or conform to ANY standard purely to save paying a fine.

REAL helmets 1200 - 2000 baht.. DOT approved

http://www.real-helmets.com/

I disagree. I came off my moped in Patong on Nanai road at maybe 25-30km. My plastic skid lid took a good knock as I 'Para' rolled off my bike. The helmet cracked in two, not my head. I did break my clevial thou

Who is whining about being fined?

Totally agree. What I'm reading is that the OP acknowledged that he was at fault, and the real comment being made was that he was issued with a formal ticket which he had to present at Chalong Police Station, and paid his fine (receipt provided). Seems civilised to me.

REAL helmets 1200 - 2000 baht.. DOT approved

http://www.real-helmets.com/

Yeah I was going to say that....my helmet says "Real" on it, as in that is the brand name. Does also say DOT on the back, but being that we are in Thailand, that means very little. Mine was about 3000-4000 baht. The nice SHOI and ARAI (funny name for something in Thailand) are the DOT and SNELL certified helmets imported and are the 10-20k baht helmets mentioned before.

I work in Phuket town. The police there stop ANYONE not wearing a helmet. Clearly, in town, its mainly Thai people. And i can tell you they get pretty short shrift. If they can't pay, their bike is locked up and the licence taken.

I have NEVER seen them take money directly. They always give a ticket which is payable at the police station. Yes, sure, the cops get a percentage of the fine, i think it's 10 percent - but i have no problem with that. It makes them enforce the law. I have to say that most people seem to be getting the message and are now wearing helmets.

That's one hurdle that is finally getting climbed.

The next hurdle is one of testing, benchmarking and certifying helmets. Remember, this is a DEVELOPING country. They cannot possibly implement and enforce developed country laws. Remember, it was like this in our home countries once. There used to be NO certification for helmets in the UK. Gradually, slowly, they brought it in. It's unrealistic to expect Thailand to do this overnight. With education about safety, it will come. May be another 10 or more years, but it will come.

As will an enforcement of 2 people only on a motorbike.

Give it time. Educate the people and set an example. Make sure YOU wear your lid. And tell your friends to too.

Please do not believe or spread stories like "a plastic pisspot is useless" because that gives people the impression that you may as well not wear a helmet. A mid-range, 1,000 baht helmet certainly lacks the European spec safety certification, however, it is better than nothing. Whilst i won't argue about its impact resistance, it will certainly give valuable abrasion resistance in typically low speed crashes. Imagine sliding down the road on your head at 50 kmh. Any lid is better than no lid.

It will also give protection from flying debris, like stones flicked up from vehicles in front.

The point is, wear the best lid you can afford, wear it for each motorbike journey you make. Change it if you drop it. Don't let it sit in the sun, and change it every 12 months anyway.

Safe riding.

:) I agree with most of what you say, but disagree stongly your words" please don't spread the word that a plastic pisspot is useless.IT IS USELESS!! It gives people a false sense of protection.YES it will give abrasion resistence when sliding down the road....so will a 2 gallon bucket!So probably will the Turban..up to them..!!

Yes, as you say ,people are wearing helmets more,because of policing, i agree100% BUT they are only puting a plastic pissbucket on to save having to pay a fine! I guarentee you ask any Thai and a lot of westerners why they put on the hat and the answer will NOT be "for safety"!!It will be financial considerations...sad but very true.

People probably never die from abrasions my friend..they die when their head impacts a solid object.. ie road, tree, post, rock, car etc,etc..IMPACT RESISTENCE..yes, you even admitt you wont argue about

that ,regarding a cheap helmet..so if you only want abrasion protection..go for it..your choice.

So my earlier post is stating FACT.I was replying to an early post that said "there would be a lot less deaths if everybody wore a helmet"...nothing about a lot less "RASH"

READ again my statement;

Hope you understand now......Stay safe and enjoy

Edited by DEM

:D markg..regarding mid range 1000baht helmets..

Even if i agreed with you on this{its just a slighty more expensive plastic piss bucket usualy a flasher paintjob] and i don't, but you are entitled to your view as we all are.

Consider this as a guestimate only..

I would think that 90% of m/cycles in LOS are either riden by Thai or westerners on rental bikes...

Of all these riders i would think that 90% of them are not even wearing your 1000baht bucket, but have the most basic 300-400 baht plastic bucket, and 50% of them not even fastened...check it out ...scary!

This is a major contributing factor in m/cycle crash death rates..rash heals..broken skulls mostly dont! :)

Edited by DEM

Hi

You forget one thing, its not about safety at all, i have been pulled over many times, ones i paid and took my helmet on the nice Police man told me i did not need to take the lid on, i had a piece of paper now i could show if another nice police man stopped me, so nothing about safety

Agreed. They don't give a toss if you skid down the road on your nut.

If safety was an issue then we could give list after list....for starters what about the whole family 5 up on a little Honda??

I work in Phuket town. The police there stop ANYONE not wearing a helmet. Clearly, in town, its mainly Thai people. And i can tell you they get pretty short shrift. If they can't pay, their bike is locked up and the licence taken........................

Good reply,

Makes a nice change to all the usual rubbish posted here.