Fined In Kata

TaoNow

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Countryside nobody uses helmet, not even bib.

True. Funny, I kinda use that as a yardstick to determine how far away from civilization I am. In Phuket only once along Nai Yang Beach did I see a couple without them.

In Rawai, a rough guess, 50% wears a helmet. Does that make it civilized?

Countryside nobody uses helmet, not even bib.

True. Funny, I kinda use that as a yardstick to determine how far away from civilization I am. In Phuket only once along Nai Yang Beach did I see a couple without them.

No, it's a yardstick of how little policing is going on.

I was sat in a cafe in Phuket town on Thursday at 5pm. On the main road near the waterfall roundabout/fresh food roundabout. Very busy with traffic. The whole time i was sat there, i saw just two motorcycle riders without helmets. Literally, hundreds went passed me - all wearing lids. The two riders with no helmet were of school age.

I'd say this pretty much goes to prove that strong policing is what gets people to wear a helmet.

I'd also like to think that once they get into the habit of wearing a helmet, then they will don one automatically.

In much the same was as we all thought it strange to wear a seatbelt in a car in the UK, until the police enforced it and it became second nature. Now we even wear them in the backseat of a car ! Who'd have thought eh !

It's about education and demonstration. Parents need to wear a helmet when they have their kids on board. Helmet designs need to be cool so that kids WANT to wear them. Police need to enforce helmet wearing. Public service advertising needs to highlight the folly in not wearing a helmet.

Once we've got to that stage, they can begin bringing in laws about the quality of the helmets - which again the police have to enforce.

On the whole island, the helmet law is only strictly enforced in Phuket Town.

Ermmm...and Patong, and Chalong Circle....

Patong and Chalong only when the cops have a check point.

In Phuket Town any cop will stop you at any time. Slight difference.

I might agree with you concerning Chalong circle, but Patong I regularly see them citing at all hours at random locations. Or are you willing to admit you spend more time in Patong during the wee hours than I do Karen? lol :)

I'm hardly ever in Patong, so, they may have tightened things up there.

Reality is Beach Rd / Rat U Thit circuit you need to be helmetted.. Your quite likely to be pounced upon at any time.

Nanai / or baanzan you could ride past a cop and if it wasnt a checkbook they ignore you..

No - the 50% without helmets aren't going through Chalong circle.

I never wear a helmet unless I go up that far, which is rare because I prefer to use the pick-up, as the Sai Yuan junction and moslem area are a death trap, especially that bit of unsurfaced road opposite the petrol station that the stupid Or Bor Jor won't buy off the greedy b@stard who wants 5 mil. for it. What's the Thai for "compulsory purchase"? Whoops - did I go into rant mode just then?

...stupid Or Bor Jor won't buy off the greedy b@stard who wants 5 mil. for it. What's the Thai for "compulsory purchase"?

I always wondered what that was about. I assumed it to be something like that. That guy must be well connected or domething. I thought Thailand would have pretty Draconian imminent domain laws. I recall several cases in the states just like that. Whenever anyone puts up a fight like that, they lose quickly.

Was everything else in order, license, registration, insurance sticker? I've never heard of 500 for just one offense.

It does happen quite often that a motorbike taxi will go to Chalong police station and pay the fine, so the offender can continue straight away. 500 Baht for that including the fine is about right.

...stupid Or Bor Jor won't buy off the greedy b@stard who wants 5 mil. for it. What's the Thai for "compulsory purchase"?

I always wondered what that was about. I assumed it to be something like that. That guy must be well connected or domething. I thought Thailand would have pretty Draconian imminent domain laws. I recall several cases in the states just like that. Whenever anyone puts up a fight like that, they lose quickly.

There was an article about it in the Gazette months ago - maybe a year ago. I had no luck searching for it on their web site.

As I recall, the OBJ had two options - negotiate each bit of land from each owner, or "compulsory purchase" the lot - a process that would have been more difficult and maybe had to go to Bangkok for approval. So they did it the "quick" way ending up with one strip that the owner won't sell for 200,000 (what everyone else did) and is hanging out for 5 million.

The report said that they were still trying to persuade him to be reasonable... or something like that. Ha! Some hopes. What's Thai for "short and curlies"?

There was an article about it in the Gazette months ago - maybe a year ago. I had no luck searching for it on their web site.

As I recall, the OBJ had two options - negotiate each bit of land from each owner, or "compulsory purchase" the lot - a process that would have been more difficult and maybe had to go to Bangkok for approval. So they did it the "quick" way ending up with one strip that the owner won't sell for 200,000 (what everyone else did) and is hanging out for 5 million.

The report said that they were still trying to persuade him to be reasonable... or something like that. Ha! Some hopes. What's Thai for "short and curlies"?

Wonder how many accidents have occurred because of this clown that owns that shop and land? It would be nice to see a local mob pressure this guy after an accident.

Patong charges 500 baht for a helmet it says so in big english text.. They also charge 300 baht for no helmet, said nicely in Thai..

Usually a smile and a joke gets it written up at 300 baht..

The fine for one offense is 200-1000 baht. Pending on offisers mood and policedistrict regulations.

In Hua Hin its 200 for no helmet.

Highwaypolice proper speedchecks fine is always 200 baht when I reply politely in Thai, even at 160 kmh.

Living just around the corner and up the street a bit behind the Lemon Green gas pump, word has it that they now want 7 mill to make the road safe.

No point in trying to apply " mob pressure " as they are the same entity.

OK. Say let's agree to the 7 mill, what you will get is " oh sorry you misunderstood, that was last month, we want 10 mill. now.

2 things that are apparent in Thailand are extreme lack of integrity and commonsense, I'm not a linguist but I doubt they're even listed in the Thai dictionary as they have no relation to the way they behave. There was an article about it in the Gazette months ago - maybe a year ago. Precisely 1 year + onwards and F^^^all has happened except more persons being killed.

My wife points out that this is the shame of Rawai, and please do not judge the rest of Thailand by this local reaction.

Get used to the traffic cones and the flashing arrow in the middle of a 2 lane + highway and the resultant accidents 'cause there's bound to be a few more. I've had mine already and if you are falang you will be in the wrong..... even if you're not.

Living just around the corner and up the street a bit behind the Lemon Green gas pump, word has it that they now want 7 mill to make the road safe.

No point in trying to apply " mob pressure " as they are the same entity.

OK. Say let's agree to the 7 mill, what you will get is " oh sorry you misunderstood, that was last month, we want 10 mill. now.

2 things that are apparent in Thailand are extreme lack of integrity and commonsense, I'm not a linguist but I doubt they're even listed in the Thai dictionary as they have no relation to the way they behave. There was an article about it in the Gazette months ago - maybe a year ago. Precisely 1 year + onwards and F^^^all has happened except more persons being killed.

My wife points out that this is the shame of Rawai, and please do not judge the rest of Thailand by this local reaction.

Get used to the traffic cones and the flashing arrow in the middle of a 2 lane + highway and the resultant accidents 'cause there's bound to be a few more. I've had mine already and if you are falang you will be in the wrong..... even if you're not.

In Patong the same comedy effect is done by the building on baanzaan.. Used to be a tin shack karaoke owned by a policeman (i am told) so was 'untouchable'.. then the road made around a tin shed.. then adapted into the building that now stands out 50% into the road. Of course the owner refuses to sell without multi million baht compensation.

But the same system benefited various governing names who got huge sums for tiny slices of the new bypass rd, so if those running the town get it, why blame the littler guy ??

Wonder how many accidents have occurred because of this clown that owns that shop and land? It would be nice to see a local mob pressure this guy after an accident.

There were a couple of accidents, which is why there is a big flashing arrow there now, plus a few bollards.

I'm quite sure there has been more than a couple of accidents, sign or no sign as motorbikes just pull in front of faster flowing traffic, not to mention those sidecars that are going the wrong way there with no lights and force vehicles and motorbikes to swerve around them which then leads to an accident.

And they force him to take the 200,000 baht, then deduct the cost of the big sign arrow thing, maintenance, and electricity, which comes to.....hold on a sec.......carry the two... and...yes, there it is, 199,000 baht. :)

And they force him to take the 200,000 baht, then deduct the cost of the big sign arrow thing, maintenance, and electricity, which comes to.....hold on a sec.......carry the two... and...yes, there it is, 199,000 baht. :)

If it's his land, i wonder if he is responsible for someone having an accident on it? Surely you can't have it both ways. If someone crashes on that rumble strip, why don't they sue the shop owner? I noticed a couple of weeks ago that someone has crashed into the big arrow thing. The post closest the middle of the road is pretty bent up. Frightening that someone can actually hit that actually !

They should start running tourist trips of Japanese and Koreans to the rumble strip to take photos and mock the greedy man.

I don't think many people actually go on the guy's land, but it forces people to swerve at the last minute to avoid it, thus causing the accidents.

I may be missing something here, but why don't the authorities take him to court for 'obstructing the highway",?

Is the OP whining about being fined or actually just informing everyone that not all BIBs are on the take?

I read the post that the OP knows he was breaking the law and when he saw the cops expected to be pulled over, but was actaully surprised that he was issued a formal ticket and told to go to the cop shop the next morning.....This would go against the trend of being pulled over and paying a bribe upfront to the BIBs own pocket and then going on you merry way.

Is the OP not actaully just highlighting that the police actaully did a good job in this case??

I read the OP the same way.

Lots of arguments start because folks have not read the post, read it wrong, or have been too ??? to comprehend what the OP has actually said.