Do You Run A Genuine Version Of Windows?

astral

Do you run genuine Windows??  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I answered real as I have a laptop running a real version of Windows XP Pro, a desktop running an evaluation copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (which is good until June next year I think) and another desktop I bought second hand that came with Windows XP that I can not be 100% sure is genuine, but it is an HP Pavilion computer, so I presume it is.

I would NEVER use a copy I downloaded with Piratebay, with Emule or bought in Pantip. This simply is not fair and it is a very severe criminal act not supported by the US government!!! What bad people must this be doing such bad things. Never trust them. NEVER!!! Please format their HDs if you find them!

I answered real as I have a laptop running a real version of Windows XP Pro, a desktop running an evaluation copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (which is good until June next year I think) and another desktop I bought second hand that came with Windows XP that I can not be 100% sure is genuine, but it is an HP Pavilion computer, so I presume it is.
Did they give you the original drivers with your HP Pavilion? Personally, I would not buy secondhand unless they gave me the drivers to go with it. That way I can easily reload the OS incase I need to. Otherwise, you're sorta out of luck. :)

Gee, the though of ripping off one of those big greedy American Corporations is unthinkable. Yea right, I'm running a genuine version only because it came with the computer I bought in America, otherwise why would I pay for something I could get for free?

Did they give you the original drivers with your HP Pavilion? Personally, I would not buy secondhand unless they gave me the drivers to go with it. That way I can easily reload the OS incase I need to. Otherwise, you're sorta out of luck. :)

No disks, but there's nothing specific on it that I think would need specific drivers that were only available from HP and weren't on the website. Having more than one computer makes it easy to DL and burn to a disk if one computer stops working

I usually format the HD on a new computer anyway and reinstall a clean version of the OS to get rid of all the crap the makers put on it, so no biggie if I have to do that again, although with no Windows disk, it would mean putting a pirate version on there or shelling out for an XP license.

What's the price of a genuine windows license here? I only paid 7500 Baht for the whole computer including monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse, so I'd be loath to spend 3500 Baht on just a new OS

No disks, but there's nothing specific on it that I think would need specific drivers that were only available from HP and weren't on the website. Having more than one computer makes it easy to DL and burn to a disk if one computer stops working

I usually format the HD on a new computer anyway and reinstall a clean version of the OS to get rid of all the crap the makers put on it, so no biggie if I have to do that again, although with no Windows disk, it would mean putting a pirate version on there or shelling out for an XP license.

What's the price of a genuine windows license here? I only paid 7500 Baht for the whole computer including monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse, so I'd be loath to spend 3500 Baht on just a new OS

I hear ya about the price of buying genuine software here (or anywhere for that matter). Prices are extortionate. So that's why so many people do what you are doing. But I understand that to DL and burn a copy from one computer with the intent of installling on another computer is an infringement of copyright laws. I don't really care about the laws here in Thailand, but I wouldn't dare travel with it, especially back to the USA and I'd be more concerned about getting all the critical updates. I'm sure you know what you are doing, but those would be my main concerns is all I'm saying.

I have a dream [Dr. Martin L. King voice] that one day Microsoft will be replaced by a more resonable alternative and we will all be waking up to better software...

If I decided to take up golf as a hobby, I would probably buy the golf clubs - rather than steal them.

I own a very nice camera. Photography (and computers) is my hobby. I did not steal my camera.

Whether, in the long run, it means anything at all, I like to have the security updates and any support that comes with the real thing.

I DID buy the genuine version and it has been money well spent for four years of enjoyment.

If I decided to take up golf as a hobby, I would probably buy the golf clubs - rather than steal them.

I own a very nice camera. Photography (and computers) is my hobby. I did not steal my camera.

Whether, in the long run, it means anything at all, I like to have the security updates and any support that comes with the real thing.

I DID buy the genuine version and it has been money well spent for four years of enjoyment.

I play golf, bought all the clubs directly from the factory in China, have no idea if they are fake or not but they sure as hel_l are good :) I bet that proportionally they cost me the same as buying a fake windows would cost at the market as opposed to buying a real version :D

Just kidding obviously, but if you think like that, then buying anything at any market in Thailand would be the same as stealing as well? I mean you see more Gucci here than in Beverly Hills :D

well, there is certainly something to it. if you are running let's say, some crap copy of SP1. and... you can't update the security fixes and you're surfing around god knows where, you're gonna catch a bug. be it a simple trojan (which if you are using an older version of IE is as easy to get as a beer and a girl in Pattaya) or a nice virus which will invade your system and make you cry with how slow "windows has become".

i mean, there is some truth to it. and i'm sure you can find a million articles explaining in detail. i'm sure MS loves to send beat reporters out on the street to write "upgrade now or die" articles :)

fwiw, i use a mac because i run with only the coolest of losers. and my desktop PC is running a copy of XP which was procured through my old job. in fact, i have never bought a Windows OS. shit, my father gave me 3.1 and from then on, i mooched.

then i bought a mac which only cost me like, $12,000 so... i got that going for me.

Edited by anothertorres

If you are using a pirated copy of windows your system is wide open.... and WILL be compromised, no matter what firewall or anti virus software you use. Is it worth it ?

Windows does help protect your system, with all those updates.

Pirated or not, your system is vulnerable to attack if you do not set up and maintain the

Firewall and Anti-virus software.

If you are using a pirated copy of windows your system is wide open.... and WILL be compromised, no matter what firewall or anti virus software you use. Is it worth it ?

Windows does help protect your system, with all those updates.

Pirated or not, your system is vulnerable to attack if you do not set up and maintain the

Firewall and Anti-virus software.

Yup and every windows user should be aware that the built-in Windows firewall will provide only lowest-level protection.

Users should compare it to i.e. Online Armor, Outpost or Comodo to mention only a few who can protect on the highest level.

Even if you are behind a router - use them! Its a must like Anti virus.

This is MHO.

I have news for you: Yo don't buy the OS, you pay for the right to use the OS.

Until the manufacturer decides otherwise.

Don't get agitated, 7 with XP, 2 with Vista, all legal.

Edited by hansnl

The first part is correct, the second, nope. If you buy a license, you have a license - period. It's not revokable. Even if it were in the EULA - might very well be - it would never be enforceable in a court of law.

Me, Mac OS X "Ultimate" (*) and a largely unused Win7. I even paid for OS X Snow Leopard - was just 1190 baht. I found it interesting that amongst my various friends running OS X, many are considering upgrading, all legally, even the Thais. That's despite the fact that there is no copy protection on OS X 10.6. There isn't even a nag screen or a serial number.

If I were to buy a new PC I'd just get one with Windows pre-installed. That way I'd pay $50 odd for the Windows license (OEM price) rather than whatever ridiculous retail prices Microsoft would like people to pay. Pirated copies are way too much trouble. Windows licensing nagging is bad enough for a perfectly legal copy - but much worse for a pirated one :)

The first part is correct, the second, nope. If you buy a license, you have a license - period. It's not revokable. Even if it were in the EULA - might very well be - it would never be enforceable in a court of law.

Me, Mac OS X "Ultimate" (*) and a largely unused Win7. I even paid for OS X Snow Leopard - was just 1190 baht. I found it interesting that amongst my various friends running OS X, many are considering upgrading, all legally, even the Thais. That's despite the fact that there is no copy protection on OS X 10.6. There isn't even a nag screen or a serial number.

If I were to buy a new PC I'd just get one with Windows pre-installed. That way I'd pay $50 odd for the Windows license (OEM price) rather than whatever ridiculous retail prices Microsoft would like people to pay. Pirated copies are way too much trouble. Windows licensing nagging is bad enough for a perfectly legal copy - but much worse for a pirated one :)

Sorry nikster but you couldn't be more wrong. Microsoft has already invoked the revocation in the US and in Europe on Windows licenses as far back as Win 3.1 and many times on the Office Suite. You only get the use the OS as long as your license is valid.

I learned my lesson the hard way and I couldn't agree more with what you are saying!

Sorry nikster but you couldn't be more wrong. Microsoft has already invoked the revocation in the US and in Europe on Windows licenses as far back as Win 3.1 and many times on the Office Suite. You only get the use the OS as long as your license is valid.

Oh I think I have been more wrong before :)

I don't think that Microsoft could legally stop me from using software I bought from them - even if it's 10 years in the future. Of course they can stop stores from selling their old stuff. Reselling of licenses, BTW, has been ruled perfectly legal repeatedly in front of German courts of law. It just becomes moot at some point because the technology gets too old. No point in installing Windows 3.1 on a modern PC, there wouldn't be any drivers, and it just wouldn't work.

M$ does not revoke a license in a legal sense but they can and do block re-activation of the OS, which amounts to the same!

We have an older PC which started out with legit OEM XP Pro. Over time it had hardware problems including MB, all were solved and replaced for free since under warranty, but eventually M$ no longer allowed re-activation of the OS!!! guess on what this PC is running now.

opalhort

2000/XP/Vista/7, all legal.

Plus several Kubuntu, and somewhere on a partition a freeBSD that's a bit out of date.

I can almost say I'm free of pirate software but I have a copy of my legit Photoshop on two comps so technically I'm in Adobe's bad books. :)