Do You Run A Genuine Version Of Windows?

astral

Do you run genuine Windows??  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We are wanting to but genuine versions of the following - does anyone know the best place to buy from i.e. that they really are genuine and the best price ?

Thanks

Microsoft exchange server 2003 10 users

Windows 2003 Server standard edition OEM 10 users

Windows 7 corporate license for 10 users with both XP and win 7 media

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are wanting to but genuine versions of the following - does anyone know the best place to buy from i.e. that they really are genuine and the best price ?

Thanks

Have you looked at joining the Microsoft Partner program and getting the Action Pack? It's dirt cheap and yields a million different licenses. Have a look here: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/ma...ck/mapscontents (site only seems to work in IE)

The Action Pack is only the newest versions of the M$ programs though, if you want older versions I think you have to buy them.

On another note for anyone out there that should be interested in getting a legal Vista copy (don't think anyone is now anyways :) ) The Thai distributors have just lowered the price to almost half price. So you should be able to get some good deals if you should prefer Vista over Windows 7. I imagine that they will have quite a hard time selling all their Vista boxes in stock :D

Have you looked at joining the Microsoft Partner program and getting the Action Pack? It's dirt cheap and yields a million different licenses. Have a look here: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/ma...ck/mapscontents (site only seems to work in IE)

The download-only version costs $299 plus tax per year. MAPS download with physical media shipments is still available for $498 plus tax per year.

Edited by Phil Conners

Absolutely, just to avoid the hassle with updates.

What hassles? If you're 'not legit' and choose to remain that way (for whatever reason), you can do one of two things:

(1) Enable Automatic Updates - This will keep your system fully up-to-date with the latest patches when they become available. However, the downside to this is that Microsoft may sneak in a WGA update. Those running pirated copies of XP know just how annoying WGA popups can be... Of course, there are workarounds, but I won't discuss that here.

(2) Manual Updates - Make it a habit to check the Microsoft Security Bulletin on the second Tuesday of every month (aka: Patch Tuesday). Download and install the updates manually. To save time, just apply those updates rated as "Critical".

Not that I condone the use of pirated software, but as you can see, keeping a 'pirated' copy of Windows up-to-date isn't a problem.

Edited by Supernova

Thanks

Did you check on ebay? Or what about Staples Office Supply here in Thailand? I might also consider buying from Office Max, Office Depot or Best Buy back in the USA.

I said legit as the the majority (no mixed option)

2 x XP Pro (Legit)

2 X Vsita (Legit)

1 x XP Pro (copy as came pre-installed, but I have a valid non-OEM license number for it from defunct upgraded machine - and one day I'll get around to forcing the serial number change)

I use free versions of Firewalls and Anti-Virus software which I update automatically nightly on ALL my machines). Antivir came out in the top 3 of anti-virus software in a PC World bench test last year (beating big names like Norton and MacAffee - quel suprise! - the over all winner was the mightily expensive Sophos I think)

2000/XP/Vista/7, all legal.

Plus several Kubuntu, and somewhere on a partition a freeBSD that's a bit out of date.

I can almost say I'm free of pirate software but I have a copy of my legit Photoshop on two comps so technically I'm in Adobe's bad books. :)

But, other than Windows and the like, where can one buy legal software here in Thailand. I've yet to find it...guess I'm not looking in the right places. For example, Corel Photopaint or Dreameweaver?

... Antivir came out in the top 3 of anti-virus software in a PC World bench test last year (beating big names like Norton and MacAffee - quel suprise! - the over all winner was the mightily expensive Sophos I think)

And in the latest October version of PC world, Antivir came out as #1 free antivirus software with a superior score of 93 I think it was.

Microsoft tells me my Windows is genuine so I am not going to argue :)

All this talk of pirated Windows causing viruses and whatnot is just rubbish. The operating system (real or fake) and its working state is only governed by the user and their actions. Therefore a Windows OS (fake or real) with a virus will act the same way. Viruses do not discriminate according to whether you paid for the OS or not. Any half decent PC Technician can install a fake version of Windows that actually works. If you buy a PC with a pirated version installed by someone who does not know what they are doing then it is your fault in the end because you did not check it yourself. Sure, genuine software is obviously better than fake purely for the 'I actually paid for this' factor, but if it was not so expensive to the majority of users to buy a license then maybe more people would go genuine.

Ian

Edited by ianwuk

All this talk of pirated Windows causing viruses and whatnot is just rubbish. The operating system (real or fake) and its working state is only governed by the user and their actions. Therefore a Windows OS (fake or real) with a virus will act the same way. Viruses do not discriminate according to whether you paid for the OS or not. Any half decent PC Technician can install a fake version of Windows that actually works. If you buy a PC with a pirated version installed by someone who does not know what they are doing then it is your fault in the end because you did not check it yourself. Sure, genuine software is obviously better than fake purely for the 'I actually paid for this' factor, but if it was not so expensive to the majority of users to buy a license then maybe more people would go genuine.

Ian

+1

My thoughts exactly!

However, I always advise people to be wary of the software that is (pre)installed onto PCs bought or serviced in Thailand. More often than not, they'll run into problems -- especially if the operating system on the computer came from a ghost image rather than a fresh installation. My advice: Learn to setup Windows yourself or have a tech-savvy friend do it for you.

But, other than Windows and the like, where can one buy legal software here in Thailand. I've yet to find it...guess I'm not looking in the right places. For example, Corel Photopaint or Dreameweaver?

Yeah really...

Where the heck can one buy LEGIT software in this country? Since piracy is so rampant here, a lot of folks I know are quite hesitant to shell out their hard-earned $$ on software -- fearing it might turn out to be 'pirated'. And to be honest, I can't really blame them. If you've lived here long enough, you'd probably feel the same way.

If I could make a business out of fixing people's computers then I'd be very happy.

Just need customers... :)

I am glad someone else agrees with me. I am sick of all the press blaming pirated software when really it is the user at fault. If pirated software was really so bad then people would actually pay for real software. The fact is that pirated or not the software will install, look, run and feel the same in most cases. The company I work for once bought Symantec EndPoint from a reputable company and that came on copied media (with a stuck on label to look real).

Ian

Edited by ianwuk

Both my computers are running legal XP Pro and both will be upgraded to Windows 7 when it becomes available. I never did buy Vista. I have Windows 7 on a spare hard drive for my desk top and it works great. In fact I put Windows 7 on my lap top and use it 100 percent. XP Pro is gone.

Ian

Truth. Usually windows error is caused by User error.

Using a Legit/Pirated copy is all the same. Just know what you are doing and you wouldn't need to clog up your system with all kinds of security.

Virus is purely caused by the User not knowing what sites he visited and what he is clicking on.

Ian

Truth. Usually windows error is caused by User error.

Using a Legit/Pirated copy is all the same. Just know what you are doing and you wouldn't need to clog up your system with all kinds of security.

Virus is purely caused by the User not knowing what sites he visited and what he is clicking on.

Exactly :D

Ian

In fact I put Windows 7 on my lap top and use it 100 percent. XP Pro is gone.

Any problems with the drivers for the laptop??

IBM/Lenovo has all sorts of programs and what I thought were likely proprietary drivers. Amazingly enough I had no problems at all. Everything works. Very smooth fast installation. That is one big reason I have decided to buy Windows 7 for both computers.

Genuine Version Of Windows, yes Vista. I always run the genuine and always will to avoid trouble with upgrades.

Well I had a beta test and kicked it out after an hour, it gave me a big headache and having sold/supported all kind of computers it was a first... Anyway, Vista will die the death it deserves...

As an example I have exactly ONE customer who uses VISTA and he needs it as its 64 bit and he bought the computer with Vista installed.... I never saw the need to install the latest windows just because it was the latest!

Also as a sideline with another customer I installed XP-PRO, and after a while the stupid messages appeared about it being a pirated copy. The disks were supplied by the Thai distributor and as customer paid money for it, we were very annoyed.

I didn't charge my profit on the disks as essentially I prefer to get paid for the INSTALL, which I did, but not the software for arranging it. Works about to the same and one can at least in theory say, complain to MS...

He had 5 systems, 3 keys were recognized after I send them to MS. However the funny part was that I NEVER stick keys on the side/bottom of a computer as MS keeps suggesting. After installing the thing I make 2 photocopies of which 1 was going to the boss of the company to stick into his safe and the originals going somewhere else. Other copy went in my safe. I NEVER lost a key....

I complained and the silly stories I heard were amusing and to me it looks like MS hasn't got a clue whats fake and what isn't.

I reinstalled the lot and ALL were accepted.

Fatal flaw: one should have been able to reinstall the valid key without reinstall.

I answered real as I have a laptop running a real version of Windows XP Pro, a desktop running an evaluation copy of Windows 7 Ultimate (which is good until June next year I think) and another desktop I bought second hand that came with Windows XP that I can not be 100% sure is genuine, but it is an HP Pavilion computer, so I presume it is.
Did they give you the original drivers with your HP Pavilion? Personally, I would not buy secondhand unless they gave me the drivers to go with it. That way I can easily reload the OS incase I need to. Otherwise, you're sorta out of luck. :)

No disks, but there's nothing specific on it that I think would need specific drivers that were only available from HP and weren't on the website. Having more than one computer makes it easy to DL and burn to a disk if one computer stops working

I usually format the HD on a new computer anyway and reinstall a clean version of the OS to get rid of all the crap the makers put on it, so no biggie if I have to do that again, although with no Windows disk, it would mean putting a pirate version on there or shelling out for an XP license.

What's the price of a genuine windows license here? I only paid 7500 Baht for the whole computer including monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse, so I'd be loath to spend 3500 Baht on just a new OS

Cost price is about 5700 baht but remember there are end copies (real ones) of XP going around at I think something like $100.

I would NEVER use a copy I downloaded with Piratebay, with Emule or bought in Pantip. This simply is not fair and it is a very severe criminal act not supported by the US government!!! What bad people must this be doing such bad things. Never trust them. NEVER!!! Please format their HDs if you find them!

Oh Begar. That was just a question for fun. There are many things not supported by the US Government.. who care's that?? If you look backwards what the US government supports you will find many severe acts other governments dont support... such as waterboarding, torture, bombing and many more! :)

What's the price of a genuine windows license here? I only paid 7500 Baht for the whole computer including monitor, speakers, keyboard and mouse, so I'd be loath to spend 3500 Baht on just a new OS

Cost price is about 5700 baht but remember there are end copies (real ones) of XP going around at I think something like $100.

That depends which Windows version you want, if you just want XP home, you can get a genuine for 3500 THB. And as I posted somewhere you can almost get Vista for the same now after the distributors almost halved the price this week to get rid of Vista before Windows 7 arrives.