Us Dollar Plunges, Bank Of Thailand Intervenes To Stabilise The Baht

george

Highly unlikely, more chance being 45 than 25!!! :)
Here is one of the dreamers I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread. Been in wishful thinking mode for the last 18 months or so. Absolutely no bases for a dumb comment like this.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank blind luck for 1998 to 2006-ish. Who cares if it never comes back again... if you couldn't get your moves in during an EIGHT year span and make it enough to last a lifetime, what are the chances of a window of opportunity that large presenting itself again so soon?

:)

Isn't a lower USD good in the short term as it reduces the cost of US exports, so that they can compete against low cost countries like China? It also reduces the debt held by foreign countries, since they hold USD debt, right? Sucks to be a US expat though, but I don't think the minimum wage earner in Alabama that can't get health insurance is worried about that. :)

With people like Greenspan and Bernanke + their team of banks they might achieve the goal to compete in an easy way with China pretty soon. When the standard of living is higher there they will be happy. But can it be a goal to bring down the own country and all the people in it just to be able to be competitive? It is a very sad story for a country if there is no better way to achieve this. Better products? Better quality? A very dangerous game for most of the US population not belonging to this "elite". And they are just watching and let them do...

and just what would you have us do genius?

----------

How can you say this? Bernanke said the interest rate for USD should be between 0 and 0.25. With 0.25 he cared about all the software that cannot handle 0 for the calculation. A genius - or not! There is more to come...

Don't quite know your saying here?

Lets just say if I still had a hoard of USD I'd be getting out fast --- Euros, Yen, Canadian or even my home AUD but more than likely Chinese Yuan. They have the USD by the balls and if they decide to let go you Americans will be lucky to get 15 Baht to the USD.

There are some on this forum that have not stopped speculating about an amazing USD comeback for the last 15 months. DON'T BET ON IT!

Edit: Typos

One day there will be the NEW USD. It will be at least 10 times stronger then the USD we know now. Is this no future? And then there will be 1 Euro to 1 New USD!!!

ladies and gentelmen, i own property in affluent so cal,and baja california sur. the property in california is up 10% in the last 30 days.The stage is set.banks are lending,interest rates are low, consunpsion is looming..........we have a storm( inflation) coming ower way then,powerfull usd.

gold for now.

there are players and there are pawns...................................

respect to all..

Apart from the US$ being important in international business, I don't understand why so many people on TV discuss the rate of the Dollar versus Baht.

American tourism is a mere 4+% of Thai tourism with some 625.000 tourists in 2007 whilst Europe had some 3,7 Million tourists with it's Euro and a few other currencies.

South and East Asia even count for a total of 8,6 Million tourists to Thailand in 2007.

BTW, the Euro is now almost Baht 50 to 1 Euro at 49,536 :)

LaoPo

That's bad news for those on US Dollar retirement. Really boring, actually.

Are we gonna see more farangs doing bank robbery in the time to come?

So kind of you to say.

Hope your currency of choice doesn't tank too....

Already tanked .... welcome to the latest exclusive club.

Apart from the US$ being important in international business, I don't understand why so many people on TV discuss the rate of the Dollar versus Baht.

American tourism is a mere 4+% of Thai tourism with some 625.000 tourists in 2007 whilst Europe had some 3,7 Million tourists with it's Euro and a few other currencies.

Guess who Thailand's biggest Export partner is? Tourism makes up only 6% of Thailands GDP. The amount of money they are receiving for their exports to the US (and also Japan and China) will have a much larger impact on the economy.

I don't understand why so many people on TV discuss the rate of the Dollar versus Baht.

Cos a lot of Expats, Oil & Gas men etc, are paid in USD. :)

If the Kenyan Shilling went tits up against the Thai Baht I doubt anyone would give a toss, but USD, it's gonna be talked about for sure.

Edited by Maigo6

Guess who Thailand's biggest Export partner is? Tourism makes up only 6% of Thailands GDP. The amount of money they are receiving for their exports to the US (and also Japan and China) will have a much larger impact on the economy.

That's why I wrote: "Apart from the US$ being important in international business,...." :D

But, looking at all comments I wonder if those, who're commenting, are all doing business from Thailand with the US...? :)

I think -but could be wrong- that most comments are done by either expats or tourists and they're not in business with the US, are they ?

LaoPo

I don't understand why so many people on TV discuss the rate of the Dollar versus Baht.

Cos a lot of Expats, Oil & Gas men etc, are paid in USD. :)

If the Kenyan Shilling went tits up against the Thai Baht I doubt anyone would give a toss, but USD, it's gonna be talked about for sure.

1. How many are there on board of TV?: "a lot of Expats, Oil & Gas men" ...any idea ? I don't. :D

2. You bet the USD is talked about lately, declining :D

LaoPo

1. How many are there on board of TV?: "a lot of Expats, Oil & Gas men" ...any idea ? I don't. :)

2. You bet the USD is talked about lately, declining :D

LaoPo

It's true it's been declining, 6 years ago it was 42 now 33, oh hum, never mind. :D

It's still better than when I came to Thailand in 1990, it was 25 Baht to the USD then.