Honesty

bluweyze

Children of a friend of mine on a gap year out arrived in Chiang Mai by train from Bangkok. 2 days after they arrived one found she had lost her passport, 2 credit cards and 100 pounds sterling in cash. Having researched all of the lost passport procedures we went to the railway station just to check. There in the managers desk drawer was the purse complete with everything. The train cleaner had handed in the lost purse. A great example of honesty but my friends daughter was so lucky, I just hope she takes more care in the future as this was the first week of a 9-month trip!

Children of a friend of mine on a gap year out arrived in Chiang Mai by train from Bangkok. 2 days after they arrived one found she had lost her passport, 2 credit cards and 100 pounds sterling in cash. Having researched all of the lost passport procedures we went to the railway station just to check. There in the managers desk drawer was the purse complete with everything. The train cleaner had handed in the lost purse. A great example of honesty but my friends daughter was so lucky, I just hope she takes more care in the future as this was the first week of a 9-month trip!

Hope you found the train cleaner and tipped him a little for his good deed .... :)

Hope you found the train cleaner and tipped him a little for his good deed .... :)

Two days!

I guess the youngster has no need to check for purse/wallet, money, passport, 'youngster's things' etc?

Anyway, the above quote is spot on. These good deeds deserve recognition and I think a real effort to find and reward (substantially) the person who handed it in should be made.

To go through the hassle of getting these things replaced is horrible. :D

~

Isn't it wonderful when someone restores our faith in humanity?!

I have had a few of those. Once in America where I had just withdrawn a LOT of Dollars for a purchase I was making the next day and discovered when I went to do the transaction that my wallet was gone. Devastation.. Then I recalled that I had gone to a movie from the bank and, expecting nothing, went back to the theatre. Behold, they had my wallet and ALL of the money was in there! The finder was well rewarded indeed, in spite of protests, and is still a good friend.

In another, a lady at our local mini-mart searched for us and our house for a couple of days and finally showed up at our door with 500 Baht that she had unintentionally shortchaged me - I didn't have a clue and, again, made a new friend.

Finally, on Phuket Island I swooned for a waitress in a restaurant and tucked a 500 baht tip under my plate (I thought about jewelry, a new car, a house but time was short and space was limited). She asked around and searched until she found out where I was staying and brought me the 500 baht that I had 'accidently' left on her table. That was almost nine years ago and we are still together, as husband and wife, and I could NOT be happier...

Honesty, as painful as it can be at times, RULES!

They have these "lost wallet" honesty experiments that are published from time to time.

Chiang Mai was rated pretty well at 55% which while only mid pack is good given it's relative wealth.

Steer clear of Mexico if you want to see a lost wallet again.

Here is one study I saw. I would just post in a message but its fairly long. From 2001 btw

Great lost wallet experiment

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

Dus, I had a similarly wonderful/humble experience having returned to the states about a year ago. First trip to the grocery store, so you know it was a huge shop to restock and all, the checker rung me up and I opened my wallet..everything important was gone. No credit cards, no ATM, nada. All stolen somewhere between here and there...I almost burst into tears, and felt terrible for all the people waiting behind me (it was rush hour). The next lady in line said something to the effect that she's been there, and paid for my groceries. I've always wished I knew who she was so I could thank and/or repay her....

~

Finally, on Phuket Island I swooned for a waitress in a restaurant and tucked a 500 baht tip under my plate (I thought about jewelry, a new car, a house but time was short and space was limited). She asked around and searched until she found out where I was staying and brought me the 500 baht that I had 'accidently' left on her table. That was almost nine years ago and we are still together, as husband and wife, and I could NOT be happier...

THAT is a great story! :)

One of the best stories I've heard :)

Nice story DOFF, but did the 500 baht note look like this one?

post-24617-1253756906_thumb.jpg

Nice story DOFF, but did the 500 baht note look like this one?

Very close but I always choose room 666... :)

But seriously, Patong is too rough a crowd for me - I usually stay at Karon Beach.

Edited by Dustoff

~

Isn't it wonderful when someone restores our faith in humanity?!

I have had a few of those. Once in America where I had just withdrawn a LOT of Dollars for a purchase I was making the next day and discovered when I went to do the transaction that my wallet was gone. Devastation.. Then I recalled that I had gone to a movie from the bank and, expecting nothing, went back to the theatre. Behold, they had my wallet and ALL of the money was in there! The finder was well rewarded indeed, in spite of protests, and is still a good friend.

In another, a lady at our local mini-mart searched for us and our house for a couple of days and finally showed up at our door with 500 Baht that she had unintentionally shortchaged me - I didn't have a clue and, again, made a new friend.

Wonderful story. Honesty is the ONLY way.

Edited by elektrified