Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well in a way you are doing something illegal, you are cascading as a tourist, when you are really an expat/non-immigrant resident. All countries have their rules for example a Thai cannot go to UK longer than 6 months unless married going to marry, special occupation, education, etc. The Thai government has turned a blind eye in-order to reap the rewards for so long, but they will systematically reduce the number of illegal tourists as it suits them and as they can afford to do so. 1st they choked the 30 day travellers with the max 90 days in 6 month, now that's even gone to no more back-to-backs, they will eventually reduce the 60 days to 3 entries (6 months) this is inline with most countries, then if you want to stay longer they will insist that you meet their criteria, married, education, volunteer, working, retired, etc. What's the matter the Thai lady to ugly to be your wife (lol)?? There is another one have a kid with a Thai lady and support the child. Good luck to anyone in this situation, but it's gonna get worst, and you gotta sort of agree it's right! So a few people may have to adjust their life-styles a little (OK A LOT).

agree with tropo that posts like this are enormously helpful regarding the Vientiane red stamp issue. I'll be going there in mid Oct. and will report back in detail.

Agree with that completely correct observation on the current trend.

Living in a country while declaring that you are a tourist is glossed over as acceptable practice in this forum but is immigration fraud by any other name. The Thai authorities have turned a blind eye for a long time but are wising up on it. You wanna stay, you can, but only with the right kind of visa. Just like anywhere else. Tourists the world over come for a short period, spend lots of money, and then go back to their country of residence for a prolonged period. Hard to say you are a tourisst anywhere with multiple back-to-back visas and expect the authorities to believe you ...

There's already a 26 page thread dedicated to such drivel. How about you go there and knock yourself out. We've heard it all 1000 times before.

Well, if it is all true and Vientiane is off the radar I guess there goes half the national budget for The Lao PDR. Anyone noticed the entire industry that has sprung up to cater to the Thai visa runners?

This is probably why they're still giving out tourist visas despite many already in passport and despite the fact that they are currently free of charge.

There's already a report that they will allow 3 back-to-back visas without a warning. Things may just settle back down to normal in time (finger's crossed).

I got my 2 entry visa today in Vientiane. I have one 3 entry visa from Helsinki and two 2 entry visas from Vientiane before that.

Today I also got red stamp beside my visa:

"Remark: The holder has travelled to Thailand with Tourist Visa 9 times. The Embassy may not accept the application next time"

Yes I confirm a friend has just returned with the same. He was applying for a second dual entry tourist visa (having obtained the first from Laos too).

I got my 2 entry visa today in Vientiane. I have one 3 entry visa from Helsinki and two 2 entry visas from Vientiane before that.

"Remark: The holder has travelled to Thailand with Tourist Visa 9 times. The Embassy may not accept the application next time"

Yes I confirm a friend has just returned with the same. He was applying for a second dual entry tourist visa (having obtained the first from Laos too).

One tourist visa and warning stamp on 2nd application :) That's a big shift from previous report of 3 visas and warning stamp on 4th application.

Edited by thaiphoon

In the case they enforcing this new rule also for those who over 50, it would be the proof that the illegal work by the foreigners has notting to do with this new rule.

people over 50 can be illegal workers also so i can not see any logic to what you just said

Obviously you're ignoring the fact that in los the limit of 50 is considered retirement age. No longer suitable to work

One tourist visa and warning stamp on 2nd application :) That's a big shift from previous report of 3 visas and warning stamp on 4th application.

Well what I've reported is true and I was careful to check the facts.

Perhaps we need to draw a distinction between single and double entry ( sounds a bit rude that).

Thus if you apply for single entry visas, yes I suppose it would be the 4th application that would attract the stamp.

Whereas with 2 back to back double entries (now we are sounding naughty) the stamp would appear on the second application.

Either way it's the same.

In the case they enforcing this new rule also for those who over 50, it would be the proof that the illegal work by the foreigners has notting to do with this new rule.

people over 50 can be illegal workers also so i can not see any logic to what you just said

Obviously you're ignoring the fact that in los the limit of 50 is considered retirement age. No longer suitable to work

Actually, there is no mandatory retirement age in Thailand although most companies consider normal retirement age as 55 or 60.

So we're down to 2 back-to-back tourist visas and out. :)

Well ,we have had just one real testification up to now. The rest ones are only hearsay.

Did they give a red stamp just after one t.v?

Then everyone should had got that stamp, because almost all applicants have at least one or more visas in their passports .

So, this tread should be full of reports jet.

It's a bit peculiar ,isn't it?

Edited by astor

Agree with that completely correct observation on the current trend.

Living in a country while declaring that you are a tourist is glossed over as acceptable practice in this forum but is immigration fraud by any other name. The Thai authorities have turned a blind eye for a long time but are wising up on it. You wanna stay, you can, but only with the right kind of visa. Just like anywhere else. Tourists the world over come for a short period, spend lots of money, and then go back to their country of residence for a prolonged period. Hard to say you are a tourisst anywhere with multiple back-to-back visas and expect the authorities to believe you ...

There's already a 26 page thread dedicated to such drivel. How about you go there and knock yourself out. We've heard it all 1000 times before.

Eh? This is a public forum, and pretty much every subject has been discussed. I was merely pointing out the reasons why people should not rely on tourist visas - they are tightening up and the only recourse now seems to be getting a visa that matches your circumstances.

Who are you anyway to police threads with what you think should and shouldn't appear? We all have an equal right to express our views here.

Dear Tropo.

You do seem to be lashing out a bit. I know you are concerned, and this sudden new immigration change is something for you and many to be concerned about, but as long as someone doesn't get out of control, and is just speaking there opinion in a sane way, then there should not be any recourse.

Just my observation.

Take care.

Uncletom

I have a lot of sympathy with tropo's argument. I want facts on this thread. I have read more than enough from posters who are fortunate to qualify for their non-imm visas accusing those of us who are not with illegal activity or being low life scum etc on the other thread. To those of you who call on your right to state your opinion, I also agree with that, but the topic has been done to death. LOL.

So we're down to 2 back-to-back tourist visas and out. :D

HMM..Well,not great news but in my case i guess i can consider myself lucky.

Ive just had 2 back to back doubles, and will extend the second one till november,when i have a flight booked back to Aus.

BUT as a matter of interest, am i to presume that if went back to Laos for a third D.E it would automatically be knocked back?..and then i'd only have the option of a further 15 days in Thailand? OR would i not be allowed in Thailand again andd have to go somewhere else exiting from Laos?

OR would they grant another double with the red stamp for next time?

I suppose "up to them" :)

Well ,we have had just one real testification up to now. The rest ones are only hearsay.

Did they give a red stamp just after one t.v?

Then everyone should had got that stamp, because almost all applicants have at least one or more visas in their passports .

So, this tread should be full of reports jet.

It's a bit peculiar ,isn't it?

Well..am i right?..the OP article was from information related to the embassy in Helsinki and i notice that the poster that got the red stamp made referance to him being in Helsinki, so maybe its a matter of protocol between those embassies?

I know sweet F.A about all this stuff, but just a thought

Would it be better then if I retracted my claim and then told everybody it wasn't happening?

I'd have thought that the facts that the Ministry has stated new rules will apply, that reliable evidence has been given, that others like myself post also.....well come on!

Regarding who gets the stamp and when, I'll speak to my friend and find out if anything else was said.

It does appear random though judging from what other posters also say.

Classic T.I.T........hey, lets give out free visas to encourage tourism, but we don't actually want you to apply for one, and really we don't want you here at all, we're doing just fine without you!.....hmmm

NINE tourist visa's :) Hardly a genuine tourist.

exactly

Edited by Mentors

Ive just had 2 back to back doubles, and will extend the second one till november,when i have a flight booked back to Aus.

BUT as a matter of interest, am i to presume that if went back to Laos for a third D.E it would automatically be knocked back?..and then i'd only have the option of a further 15 days in Thailand? OR would i not be allowed in Thailand again andd have to go somewhere else exiting from Laos?

Going by all the reports we've seen so far, you'll get another double entry in Vietiane irrespective of how many tourist visas you currently have in your passport... plus a red warning stamp.

Going by all the reports we've seen so far, you'll get another double entry in Vietiane irrespective of how many tourist visas you currently have in your passport... plus a red warning stamp.

yes I think this is the salient point. The red stamp seems to come first. Anybody without a red stamp is worrying without cause I reckon, but anyone planning to try again having received a red stamp is in for a shock IMHO.

But it's the randomness surrounding when you get the red stamp that is the unknown. Ironically it might be better to actually dress down. Looking neat and tidy might tell the official that you are indeed not a tourist. Whereas turning up 'back packerish' would give no grounds for suspicion and in fact work in your favour. Just a thought.

yes I think this is the salient point. The red stamp seems to come first. Anybody without a red stamp is worrying without cause I reckon, but anyone planning to try again having received a red stamp is in for a shock IMHO.

But it's the randomness surrounding when you get the red stamp that is the unknown. Ironically it might be better to actually dress down. Looking neat and tidy might tell the official that you are indeed not a tourist. Whereas turning up 'back packerish' would give no grounds for suspicion and in fact work in your favour. Just a thought.

I've been to Vientiane for a tourist visa 3 times already and I can tell you that you could probably turn up naked and they wouldn't notice.

There's hundreds of applicants each day of the week and there is zero one-on-one contact with any authorities responsible for issuing the tourist visas.

It is a factory where you stand in line, step forward, hand in your application. They check it. You go to another area to pick up your receipt and that's it. No conversations, no scrutiny. You'll never see the issuing authority and he'll never see you.

I always feel overdressed with a polo shirt, shorts and sandals.

Edited by tropo

I've been to Vientiane for a tourist visa 3 times already and I can tell you that you could probably turn up naked and they wouldn't notice.

There's hundreds of applicants each day of the week and there is zero one-on-one contact with any authorities responsible for issuing the tourist visas.

It is a factory where you stand in line, step forward, hand in your application. They check it. You go to another area to pick up your receipt and that's it. No conversations, no scrutiny. You'll never see the issuing authority and he'll never see you.

I always feel overdressed with a polo shirt, shorts and sandals.

Yes fair point, went there once myself and eaxactly as you describe. Wonder why some get the dreaded stamp and some not then !

Khun Tropo, what about if they notice? Perhaps it is a little irresponsible to make this kind of statements.

The truth is that we need to wait a little longer and see what people's real experiences are.

This was a person's real experience. I see hundreds of applicants dressed any which way getting tourist visas.

Please don't take the remark I made about turning up naked seriously.

The sheer number of people getting visas at Vientienne is astounding. Monday and Tuesday there were at least 400 per day. The authorities must be thinking of ways to stop this behavior!

My friend just called so say that he is back in Thailand with a double entry tourist visa and no he did not get a red stamp. He has back to back tourist visas for 3 years from various embassies.

Really Thailand has got to change its stance on transients using visas. Making it easier!

BB

The sheer number of people getting visas at Vientienne is astounding. Monday and Tuesday there were at least 400 per day. The authorities must be thinking of ways to stop this behavior!

My friend just called so say that he is back in Thailand with a double entry tourist visa and no he did not get a red stamp. He has back to back tourist visas for 3 years from various embassies.

Really Thailand has got to change its stance on transients using visas. Making it easier!

BB

I still wonder whether the age is a factor or a main reason for the red stamp?

BB

I still wonder whether the age is a factor or a main reason for the red stamp?

Some while ago, first military secret services, law enforcement agencies and then governments found that you didn't need to torture or kill people anymore to instill fear, and that uncertainty might be all that was needed to effect control. Thus moving goal posts and the random application of rules, that leave us all in a state of anxiety.

But hang on Thai Immi don't seem to have got the hang of it: it's to be employed against terrorists, and criminals you dummies !!!!! not paying guests.Oh well! would you honestly expect any different?