Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

yes I think this is the salient point. The red stamp seems to come first. Anybody without a red stamp is worrying without cause I reckon, but anyone planning to try again having received a red stamp is in for a shock IMHO.

But it's the randomness surrounding when you get the red stamp that is the unknown. Ironically it might be better to actually dress down. Looking neat and tidy might tell the official that you are indeed not a tourist. Whereas turning up 'back packerish' would give no grounds for suspicion and in fact work in your favour. Just a thought.

I've been to Vientiane for a tourist visa 3 times already and I can tell you that you could probably turn up naked and they wouldn't notice.

There's hundreds of applicants each day of the week and there is zero one-on-one contact with any authorities responsible for issuing the tourist visas.

It is a factory where you stand in line, step forward, hand in your application. They check it. You go to another area to pick up your receipt and that's it. No conversations, no scrutiny. You'll never see the issuing authority and he'll never see you.

I always feel overdressed with a polo shirt, shorts and sandals.

that description would fit Penang when I was there in the 90's.............

Hope Laos does not go the same way as Penang did for ye all.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had a friend pick up his 4th double entry in a row today.

No red stamp.

Incredible double standards. Checked the facts with my friend 2 hours ago. Self same wording as OP, no mistake. A lottery!?

Could you please translate that into something meaningful?

Did your friends get red stamps or not? How many back-to-back visas did they have when they applied?

Just had a friend pick up his 4th double entry in a row today.

No red stamp.

Incredible double standards. Checked the facts with my friend 2 hours ago. Self same wording as OP, no mistake. A lottery!?

Could you please translate that into something meaningful?

Did your friends get red stamps or not? How many back-to-back visas did they have when they applied?

Refer to my posting reporting that a friend had received a red warning in his passport and the circumstances, and a second comment where I reported I would double check my facts (which I did) then to the subsequent pattern of the thread whereby posters speculate as to why it is that some get a stamp and some don't.

But in short since reading through a thread is not your cup of tea - A friend (German, male, 39) applied and received a second double entry tourist visa from Laos but also received a red warning stamp exactly the same as OP. His passport said 4 times (so a double entry counts as 2).

A friend of mine just returned from Laos today. He got his double entry TV but also the red stamp saying he has 6 entries on tourist visas and may be rejected next time. These are not back to back TVs they are 6 TV entries since June 2006. He has on two occasions had a non imm b and has been home to NZ in that period. Age does not seem to be a factor, as some posters have mentioned, as he is 62. Again this is 6 TV entries since June 2006 not back to back. Certainly appears to be a lottery. Things aren't looking too rosy for me in two weeks methinks.

A friend of mine just returned from Laos today. He got his double entry TV but also the red stamp saying he has 6 entries on tourist visas and may be rejected next time. These are not back to back TVs they are 6 TV entries since June 2006. He has on two occasions had a non imm b and has been home to NZ in that period. Age does not seem to be a factor, as some posters have mentioned, as he is 62. Again this is 6 TV entries since June 2006 not back to back. Certainly appears to be a lottery. Things aren't looking too rosy for me in two weeks methinks.

We've only had one report about someone not getting a red stamp with multiple tourist visas in their passport, so really at this stage a red stamp seems like a certainty.

Hi All,

Just got back 2 hours ago...from Laos...double entry...no red stamp...have 3 singles in old pp 4 doubles in my new pp, this new one making 5. Got there at 11.10am on Wednesday to apply...10 people in front of me..picked up yesterday 2.30pm, nobody there.

Also went down on night train sleeper this time..got there just before 10am..10am train across the border 20 baht...immigration was empty only 10 or so people, you handed in you pp with form and payment for Laos visa, got it back three minutes later.

I have stood in that queue at the road border immigration for upto 2 hours in the past, mainly to the visa companys from Bangkok and Pattaya not forgetting the Filapino TV teachers. Would recommend this point of entry....exit..didn't try has came back on bus back.

Block2

Anyone have further updates. We really do not have enough reporting yet to come to any definitive conclusions (although that may be too much to wish for). The more reports of facts we have the better people can judge there chances.

Hi,

So we still don't know how long someone must stay abroad before being allowed to get tourist visas again ?

Thanks.

Based on what I've read so far, red stamp warnings are issued indiscriminately and some get them even when tourist visas are spaced far apart.

Edited by JensenX

...the new law said...that you have problem if you ask a visa in a coutry border of Thailand...but if you go back to Europe (like I do) every time my 2 entry Visa expire...NO PROBLEM! They did this cause many workers no farang but Laos, Myammar etc do this and they come work in Thailand (like people they build my new house, they can not speak thai) they work illigally with tourist visa :-)

...the new law said...that you have problem if you ask a visa in a coutry border of Thailand...but if you go back to Europe (like I do) every time my 2 entry Visa expire...NO PROBLEM! They did this cause many workers no farang but Laos, Myammar etc do this and they come work in Thailand (like people they build my new house, they can not speak thai) they work illigally with tourist visa :-)

Can you find a copy of this "new law" so we can all read it. We have already seen reports of home country consulates toughening up.

Am really starting to wonder if they want us here at all.!

Looking thru all the related threads I see changes in rules, denials, no more extensions, On every class of Visa, permission to stay... What are they up to? If they close all the loopholes there will be no-one coming to Thailand ? And those here will not be allowed to stay. :)

Whatever made you think they did?

Its aimed at illegal workers back to back folks with no wife or people of working age who seem to be on holiday but never go back home?

Woudn't a legitimate person ON HOLIDAY /Tourist have to go back to their job ?

Agree any one welathy enough could and usd to float around SE Asia indefinately and MFA could design a visa for them merely waive the 50 year retirement barrier

So if you have the 800k your in

I feel sorry for the married family guys who are being stiffed on 40k ruling and very hard to get a legal job in ruralT hailnd other than teaching and that is closing due to Filipinas undercutting costs of non ASEAN work permit .

So its illegal teaching,barkeeping or worse

but until EU US andOZ welcome Thais like they welcome us they are unlikely to re-locate

We have no right to stay and some of the racist cmplaints here and other wooden boards exemplify raison d'etre to exclude falangs.If you read the B Post very thin forum theres some very assertive comments

They dont want you just your money its like an ex wife with ltd access

The authorities have more pressing issues than us but expect to feel the squeeze in the pocket any time they wish and a renaissence of nationalism in due course.

The penultimate nail.....................?

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Looking thru all the related threads I see changes in rules, denials, no more extensions, On every class of Visa, permission to stay... What are they up to? If they close all the loopholes there will be no-one coming to Thailand ? And those here will not be allowed to stay. :)

That's kinda naive - thinking that double-entry-visa-run-every-month-tourism brings alot of money in country. Most money are made from non-visa tourists, which are booking all-inclusive tours to Phuket and Pattaya and stay for no more than 2-3 weeks. And new regulations do not harm this tourist category in any way.

Its aimed at illegal workers back to back folks with no wife or people of working age who seem to be on holiday but never go back home?

Woudn't a legitimate person ON HOLIDAY /Tourist have to go back to their job ?

Agree any one welathy enough could and usd to float around SE Asia indefinately and MFA could design a visa for them merely waive the 50 year retirement barrier

So if you have the 800k your in

I feel sorry for the married family guys who are being stiffed on 40k ruling and very hard to get a legal job in ruralT hailnd other than teaching and that is closing due to Filipinas undercutting costs of non ASEAN work permit .

So its illegal teaching,barkeeping or worse

but until EU US andOZ welcome Thais like they welcome us they are unlikely to re-locate

We have no right to stay and some of the racist cmplaints here and other wooden boards exemplify raison d'etre to exclude falangs.If you read the B Post very thin forum theres some very assertive comments

They dont want you just your money its like an ex wife with ltd access

The authorities have more pressing issues than us but expect to feel the squeeze in the pocket any time they wish and a renaissence of nationalism in due course.

The penultimate nail.....................?

Please take your moristic posturing elsewhere, please. WE WANT RED STAMP FACTS HERE.

Seems this is the first confirmation on the crackdown on tourist visas besides Penang, but indeed still a lot of questions are unanswered. But I guess living in Thailand on tourist visas is going to be difficult. However, that part of the discussion is already being discussed here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Crackdown-To...at-t297046.html and we are not going to discus it here.

Please only factual information or questions here. All other remarks, about Thai visa policy etc are off topic in this thread.

I just got a red stamp from Vientiane applying for a double entry TV.

I have a single entry from Hull UK in Jun 2006.

Double entry Vientiane Aug 2008

Non-Imm ED Vientiane Feb 2009

Double entry Vientiane May 2009

Add a couple of 30 days exemption stamps as I always fly from Europe to BKK. In between 2006 and 2008 I was nowhere near Thailand.

I was not a shirtless lout drinking warm beer lao whilst applying for my visa so, what can you do?

On Sept. 24, I applied for a double entry tourist visa in Vientiane. I got it, no problem - no red stamp. I didn't see anybody else have any problems. But, here is a question to think about:

What actually constitutes "back-to-back"? I've been living in Thailand for two years on a combination of single and double tourist visas, and 30-day and then 15-day border runs. Did these border runs that separated the tourist visas help me? Everybody's situation is so different, I think it will be difficult to pinpoint any trends.

I miss Kota Bharu... :)

anyone else can confirm that "red stamp" story?

It's not just a story. I can put picture of that on forum when I get home. I saw one more guy got same stamp.

Was the number "9" on the stamp or did they hand write it?

Just wondering if they limit to nine tourist visas.

That would be a huge stretch i.e. setting the number at 9.

Taking an educated guess, they're letting everyone through this time around and giving all back-to-back tourist visa recipients the red warning stamp. Recording a number will make their job easier if the applicant returns.

Note the warning stamp was worded "MAY not accept the application next time". This allows for some flexibility for some cases. Time will tell exactly how they are going to enforce this, but I wouldn't expect any definitive answers for quite sometime.

Wrong, wrong, May not accept is Thai english for CANNOT accept. It doesn't mean might not accept or most probably won't accept.

Taking an educated guess, they're letting everyone through this time around and giving all back-to-back tourist visa recipients the red warning stamp. Recording a number will make their job easier if the applicant returns.

Note the warning stamp was worded "MAY not accept the application next time". This allows for some flexibility for some cases. Time will tell exactly how they are going to enforce this, but I wouldn't expect any definitive answers for quite sometime.

Wrong, wrong, May not accept is Thai english for CANNOT accept. It doesn't mean might not accept or most probably won't accept.

We will find out for sure when people have to renew their visas. That's probably 4 or 5 months away.

You are correct with your 'wrong, wrong....'

They are not giving all the recipients red stamps. I know of two groups who went. First group, out of 9 people, 2 got the red stamp. Second group, 11 people, 3 people got the red stamp. All have 3+ concurrent Tourist Visas.

Philippines is famous for being "unfriendly" for years now. Some even reported problems when applied for a single entry. Not the place to go.

Wrong! The Philippines is easy.

Edited by tropo

Philippines is famous for being "unfriendly" for years now. Some even reported problems when applied for a single entry. Not the place to go.

Wrong! The Philippines is easy.

Wrong Tropo.

We talking about getting a new visa for stay in Thailand from the Thai embassy in Philippines (not for stay in PH. - we all know they are very friendly).

Use the search engine and you find houndreds of posts saying that Thai embassy in Manilla rejects visa application en mass.

A misunderstanding?

(dont worry mate, you get your visa next week without any "extra's")

Just got a double entry from Vientiane with the red stamp. The stamp says I have entered 6 times on tourist visas which is true. Not all entries are in this passport. Have two previous doubles from Vientiane in this passport, one in the old. Prior to that I worked legally in Thailand for 11 years. This entry was my 7th since finishing work. Still don't have required funds for retirement visa, which by the way are far higher than the Thai government deemed it was necessary for me to live on while I was working for them for 8 years. Still, I have six months now to consider my options. Non-imm O from Hull. Ed Visa. Go home and visit Thailand during the winter months. I doubt I could survive an English winter after so long in Thailand. Ah well, I've had a good run. I first arrived in Thailand in Oct 1993. Can't complain too much. My visa tour guide seems very confident that this problem will go away when fees for TVs are reintroduced.There is certainly plenty of time for many more u-turns in 6 months. Best of luck to those of you who did not receive the stamp and those still to apply.

Just got a double entry from Vientiane with the red stamp. The stamp says I have entered 6 times on tourist visas which is true. Not all entries are in this passport ....

Did you present your current and old passports with your application, or did the embassy ask to see your old passport, or did the embassy already know the number of entries you had made from their computer?

I detest "what about me" posts but my current pp/visa situation this latest passport is sort of odd. I will know what is what obviously in a few weeks, but enquiring minds want to know;

US Citizen, 48.5yo

Issue:

Total of four visas (TR).

I have two doubles but have only used 1x on 2 of these(1).

*Overstay on last TR (1 day @ 500B) - - In 15yrs, I have overstayed total of less than ten days.

* A 30 day stamp which I will only use 2 weeks.

Double - used only 1x 2008 Washington

Single - used - 2008 - Penang

Double - used 2x - 2008/09 - Vientiane

Double - used 1x - 2009 - WDC

Is this a 1x on a double a "benefit" or does anyone think the 1x will just be seen as plain old double AND with a total of four in my pp - is it a concern?

I go home each year and get a double, seems to get 'easier' each year out of WDC for me.

Thanks for your input

BTW: There was a post regarding how low-end locals don't contribute like the package tourists. On contrary, the only money that the government sees from these Indians, Chinese, etc... are airport, hotel room taxes. They spend zero money so VAT from an Indian or Chinese on a 5 day stay does not even merit discussion. They do not like Thai food (I know with absolute certainty) - It is so ironic that the Thai govt (and perhaps you) sees these people as the future of tourism.

I really am a tourist, I just spend a load of time in Thailand!!

Edited by bangkokburning