Red Warning Stamp at Vientienne

I considered those definitions, and I am debating your points on their lack of merit. The fact remains, at this point no one has reported being denied a visa, only being issued the additional red stamp. And even if one does have a visa application denied, they can gain entry by "visa exempt" or "visa on arrival" status, or apply for a visa at another location.

"Only being issued an additionnal red stamp". The red stamp states that you may not obtain further tourist visas. Meaning, that your future applications are denied in advance, in this location or others. You may speculate that they don't mean what they wrote, but as of right now, it's what it says. Your future tourist visa applications are denied.

That you can gain entry through visa on arrival if your visa application has been denied is speculation on your part.

Sylver.

Most of your posts contain wrong information and seem to be designed purely to wind members up.

If you just want to argue I suggest you visit the Pub Forum.

This is a serious forum in which we try to help people out with facts and information.

You are more than welcome here if you have anything of a factual nature to offer.

Thank You.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

getting off topic again but no a warning stamp at one consulate does not mean denial at other consulates. Penang issued these warnings for years and no problem to go to another consulate like KL, Khota Baru or Ventiane

Correct... I had one red stamp from Penang in 2006, and I had my next TV from Vientiane without trouble three months later.

I considered those definitions, and I am debating your points on their lack of merit. The fact remains, at this point no one has reported being denied a visa, only being issued the additional red stamp. And even if one does have a visa application denied, they can gain entry by "visa exempt" or "visa on arrival" status, or apply for a visa at another location.

"Only being issued an additionnal red stamp". The red stamp states that you may not obtain further tourist visas. Meaning, that your future applications are denied in advance, in this location or others. You may speculate that they don't mean what they wrote, but as of right now, it's what it says. Your future tourist visa applications are denied.

That you can gain entry through visa on arrival if your visa application has been denied is speculation on your part.

Sylver.

Most of your posts contain wrong information and seem to be designed purely to wind members up.

This is a serious forum in which we try to help people out with facts and information.

You are more than welcome here if you have anything of a factual nature to offer.

Thank You.

:)

getting off topic again but no a warning stamp at one consulate does not mean denial at other consulates. Penang issued these warnings for years and no problem to go to another consulate like KL, Khota Baru or Ventiane

Correct... I had one red stamp from Penang in 2006, and I had my next TV from Vientiane without trouble three months later.

What was the text on your red stamp? Was it the same text as the current red stamp delivered in Vientiane?

The text of the current red stamp says what it says.

If it is "same ol', same ol'", then I fail to understand why there are over 50 pages of discussion on various forums.

I had previously made a 'what about me' post, describing the details in my current passport. I had visited the consulate today and will report as time permits.

Tues Oct20

About 100 people at most streaming in

Semi orderly

Even Philippinos were queuing properly

Young Vietnamese worst offenders, attempt to jump the queue outside

I arrived via foot at 0700 hours. Queued at 0715.

An easy walk from the river in the cool morning with a sketch map. The ride back was courtesy of an English guy I had helped thru process. I bartered the ride down to B60 (pax2) - still too much.

Photocopies - B05 if you speak Thai, B10 if you don't.

Usual illegal Philippine workers - perhaps a few legal.

Central Asian hookers

Asst'd miscreant drunks with alcohol on their breath at 0730

The odd and sundry English teacher.

A few Lao and a bunch of Viets.

Looks like a lot of Arabs and Africans have washed out.

Obviously, Thailand wants to minimize people living in Thailand perpetually on the incorrect visa but I am of a firm belief that the bulls-eye is really on the backs of people working. Whatever you can do to minimize any appearance that you may be working will be best for you. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a96371-.html

These people are obviously are breaking Thai law, running afoul of their signed commitment not to work. They are really screwing up our lives.

In the end this is all mental masturbation - we will all roll the dice until we are given the scarlet letter, then we will do what we must and go where we will.

Thailand has been pretty generous and continues to be when you look at the flotsam and jetsam that washes into the consulate.

In closing, IMO it does not matter what you wear but I would say - smell clean and look presentable. I would not personally over dress. Just screams - I am working (to me). The guy glances at your paperwork and tosses it in a pile. No determination is made until later.

On the computer end of it all - I am certain that Thailand is ramping the tech end of this up. It is very easy to dice data every which way. They are not going to calculate out your visa issues and #'s. I assure you there is a very simple way they determine in 2 minutes if you will be stamped. They are not going to sift thru billions of departure cards from god knows where to get your history. I have for years even wondered what they do with those things.

Good luck to all retirees. May the rest be stamped red as the kingdom sees fit.

Edited by bangkokburning

Sylver.

Thank You.

What wrong information have I provided?

A couple members stated that I had it wrong about the non-immigrant O visa (marriage) requiring a proof of funds and that I was confusing the non-immigrant O visa requirements with that of the extension for the same visa.

The official website of the Thai embassy of Singapore states: "Required documents are... 7. Bank Statement (at least 400,000 Baht)" (http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-ma...a-o-thai-spouse)

My understanding of this is that there is indeed a financial requirement for a marriage visa, and that all I said originally.

What else was I supposedly "wrong" about? My interpretation of the Human Rights and how it would apply to the subject of immigration? I have provided a rather clear explanation of what I thought, and I was interested in discussing this point. It turns out that this was the wrong forum to have such a discussion (yes, I was wrong about that). It does not make my points or information wrong.

My interpretation of the text of the red stamp? That was just English. If the stamp doesn't mean what it says, then do tell. I would be happy to know what this stamp really means. Is it some sort of code or a historical reference?

Anyway, I have already provided all the facts I have about my recent visa trip to Vientiane, and if that's all this forum will permit, then I will take my leave, I have nothing to add.

Anyway, I have already provided all the facts I have about my recent visa trip to Vientiane, and if that's all this forum will permit, then I will take my leave, I have nothing to add.

Thank you very much. I have allowed you to reply. From now on as Maestro said earlier

From this point forward, any post that is not strictly on the topic of “tourist visa with red warning stamp in Vientiane” should be deleted without notice to the poster or in the topic.

Lets get back on track.

Looking and the word “may” in the red stamp, and in conjunction with the announcement posted on the websites of some Thai consulates, this is my interpretation:

1. The consulate gives you the red stamp because it suspects that you are working illegally in Thailand.

2. With “may not accept the application next time” the consulate is telling you that next time you apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane you better have some convincing proof that you are a genuine tourist.

For the time being, all we can do is wait and see if somebody with this red stamp will go back to Vientiane 180 days later to apply for a new tourist visa and report his experience here.

Yesterday, as I was looking at the announcement and the red stamp again, I was wondering whether the consulate uses the red stamp also to signal to the Thai immigration officer their suspicion about the illegal working of the passport holder and to suggest that this possibility should be investigated. However, since the immigration bureau is not in charge of enforcing employment laws I doubt that this is the case, but I would not entirely discount the possibility that some sort of communication along these lines might have started between the two agencies.

--

Maestro

To maestro, interesting point. But what criteria does the consulate use in deciding whether someone is working illegally. Many posters have opined it is dress code or age or some such. The only criterion on the red stamp is the number of entries. In my case 6. As I did not present my application personally, I used an agent hoping that I may not get a red stamp, it certainly was not my dress. I am over retirement age. Is the idea to push me into applying for the "correct" visa that is a retirement visa? I don't have the 800k in the bank or 65k a month pension which is why I am on TVs. My visa agent is extremely confident that this is indeed about money. TVs are free until March 2010. If I were to apply for a non imm O I would have to pay. Will the situation revert to normal when Vientiane is back to collecting 500k baht ++ per day in TV fees. As I have lived in the Land of Smiles for close to 20 years, I strongly suspect this may be the case. But all this is pure speculation. I eagerly await news after next March. I have six months to peruse my future options. So not too worried. Slightly off topic I remember an interesting exchange a couple of years back when an acquaintance of mine was applying for a TV ext at Suan Phlu where the immo officer asked him how his gig was going, he was a singer in a bar. Pleasantries all round and visa extended no problem. Not hearsay I was standing with the guy.

Looking and the word “may” in the red stamp, and in conjunction with the announcement posted on the websites of some Thai consulates, this is my interpretation:

1. The consulate gives you the red stamp because it suspects that you are working illegally in Thailand.

2. With “may not accept the application next time” the consulate is telling you that next time you apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane you better have some convincing proof that you are a genuine tourist.

--

Maestro

In the last few year, the most interaction I have witnessed with immigration officials in Vientiane was limited to waiting in line, handing paperwork and getting a receipt. There was never time for more, and occasionally, the immigration office closes before people ever get a chance to reach the window. (happened to me once. window closed after 3 hours of wait in the sun and told to come back on the next day). There are about 420 applications submitted each day between 8:30 and 12 am. That means 120 applications per hour, or 2 applications per minute. (I rounded the numbers, but they are pretty realist).

So, there is barely time enough to give your paper and for the official to confirm you have given all that was needed. Unless they double the immigration staff and set up additional facilities, and/or increase opening hours very significantly, practically speaking, they won't be able to handle the flow of people attempting to prove that they are not working (which is virtually impossible. How would you go about proving that you aren't working? Do you have constant footage of your activities while in the kingdom? The best you could do would be to disclose your oversea income sources, but that wouldn't be proof of not working).

If it was limited to a few cases, it might be possible to get private interviews and explain the situation. But with a large number of people having their applications red stamped, I doubt they will be able to provide a decent review process.

All in all, while I would much prefer your interpretation over mine, I don't think it is too realistic.

If I can venture a guess at what is going to happen, some people with red stamp will just up and go for good, some will arrange a different type of visa one way or another (I predict a lot of people will go for the 3 years business visa, married people will push through their non-O, people will set up more fake companies for visa purposes) and a large group will simply wait and see, and try for a new tourist visa in spite of the red stamp. At that point 6 months will have gone by and the Thai government will have to decide if they are going to hold the course or if their real objective has been reached. I think an important factor will be whether or not the tourism industry will have recovered by then. According to yesterday's Chiang Mai Mail, Chiang Mai alone reports 700,000 tourists less than the previous year and that figure is expected to reach a million by the end of the year. A strong clamp down is certainly not going to help.

I think an important factor will be whether or not the tourism industry will have recovered by then. According to yesterday's Chiang Mai Mail, Chiang Mai alone reports 700,000 tourists less than the previous year and that figure is expected to reach a million by the end of the year. A strong clamp down is certainly not going to help.

Genuine tourists will not be affected by this clampdown, as such it will have little effect on the tourism industry as a whole.

That's a very short view. Try thinking about all the consequences.

1. Many of these "not-a-tourist" bring income from overseas which they spend in the country. Tourists they may not be, but their 1000 bahts bills are just as grey as everyone else's. As "farangs", they also tend to use tourist facilities a lot more than average thais do. For instance, how many travel by plane a couple times per month or more and stay in hotels very regularly? I know I do.

Economically speaking, the footprint of the "not-a-tourist" is actually more positive than that of a "genuine tourist".

2. When people turned away from the country and have their visa rejected, do you think it ends there? What kind of press and word of mouth is generated? Do you realize how much long distance tourism relies on word of mouth? People go to Thailand because they have heard it's great or they know someone who went there and loved it, but most of them would barely able to place it on the map otherwise. Now, turn loose several thousands of disgruntled "non-tourists". What kind of word of mouth are you starting? "Thailand's happy days are over."

Look at the larger picture. Tourism is a competitive industry. To the traveller, there are thousands of places vying to capture a slice of that tourist pie. Do you think you can turn away thousands or even tens of thousands of people and not affect the tourist industry... dream on.

Moonrakers is simply pointing out that "true" tourists will not have a problem with getting TV's whereas those who use them as a vehicle to permanently stay in Thailand may experience problems and this is probably the end goal of the government. You are also true that those who permanently stay via TV's do add an infusion to the economy but it apparently isn't large enough or the government feels the trade-off of getting these people out or onto different visas is somehow worth the effort.

I think your arguments about a "true" tourist's money and a "permanent" tourist's money being worth the same is credible except that we don't really know how the Thai authorities are looking at that and it is them that your argument should be directed to and not Moonrakers.

Not putting down your point of view or arguments but when I read your post it really seemed like you were "barking up the wrong tree". Moonraker's statement probably concurs with the Thai authorities' thinking about tourist visas and the "tourism industry" but they might be shooting themselves in the foot...wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last....time will tell.

Regards

Edited by Martian

... How would you go about proving that you aren't working? Do you have constant footage of your activities while in the kingdom? The best you could do would be to disclose your oversea income sources, but that wouldn't be proof of not working)...

In fact, you may have a good point there. Showing evidence of a foreign income source could go a long way towards demonstrating that you do not need to work in Thailand and that it would be unreasonable for the Thai consulate in Vientiane to suspect you of working in Thailand and to give you the red stamp. Accompanied by a letter to the consul, this might well get you a new tourist visa (or by then the “clamp-down” may anyway already have ended)

When I mention a letter to the consul I do not mean that the consul will necessarily read it, but the consular staff would not be able to reject it without bringing it to the attention of the consul. Whatever they get in writing has to go on file and it would be retrieved in case of a complaint.

--

Maestro

I have some new information to add to the mix.

My Filipino Gf and I just got back from a disastrous trip to Vientiane. It amounted to wasting 2 days and throwing around 14,000 baht down the toilet.

We were both seeking what we considered may be our last tourist visa from Vientiane.

My New Zealand passport had 4 back-to-back TV's in it. The first one was a single entry, and the subsequent 3 were double entries from Vientiane.

Result: Obtained a further double entry tourist visa with NO red warning stamp.

My Filipino girl's passport had 6 back-to-back TV's in it (fewer than mine because I've juggled a NZ and Australian passport over the past 4 years).

Result: NO TOURIST VISA FOR YOU!

We used an agent who took us up to the window to hand in our applications and that was it. He delivered the passports to us the next day at our hotel. After what happened today, I'm pretty sure these agents do not hold any sway regarding the application process. They merely jump queue to save waiting time. They also have to pick the passports up the next day just as all other applicants do.

When the agent came to deliver the passports to our hotel he seemed to think we would consider this a partial-success because I got my visa, but in reality it would have been better if we were both refused because we live together and travel as a team, so we need exactly the same visas. All they succeeded in doing was wasting a page by adding a worthless sticker to may passport.

My agent mentioned that they are now refusing tourist visas to SE Asian applicants with multiple tourist visas in passport (perhaps 4 or more). They are also refusing tourist visas to other nationalities who have too many tourist visas in their passport. He mentioned German, Dutch... He doesn't speak much English, so I couldn't get much more out of him.

I really have no idea of what their policy is, but there is no guarantee of even a red stamp for some. The Filipinos who have been working on tourist visas will be either packing their bags or overstaying as a result.

She got back into Thailand with a 15 day stamp.

Here's the kicker - I wanted to save my tourist visa so I didn't mark my visa number on my arrival card and asked the officer if I could get a 15 days stamp instead. He would not do this. He also mentioned that my tourist visa was free in what seemed like an effort to make me feel better about his decision.

Edited by tropo

...If I can venture a guess at what is going to happen, some people with red stamp will just up and go for good, some will arrange a different type of visa one way or another (I predict a lot of people will go for the 3 years business visa, married people will push through their non-O, people will set up more fake companies for visa purposes) and a large group will simply wait and see, and try for a new tourist visa in spite of the red stamp. At that point 6 months will have gone by and the Thai government will have to decide if they are going to hold the course or if their real objective has been reached. I think an important factor will be whether or not the tourism industry will have recovered by then. According to yesterday's Chiang Mai Mail, Chiang Mai alone reports 700,000 tourists less than the previous year and that figure is expected to reach a million by the end of the year. A strong clamp down is certainly not going to help.

Getting a 3 year visa is not a breeze. They are in the 'hens teeth' category. A simple front company won't make the support grade for the applicant.

I just called my tourist visa company (B&J). It is the biggest one in Pattaya, and arguably in Thailand. They have 27 minivans for Pattaya alone. They said that anyone coming to them for a Tourist visa run, will have their passport searched for that red stamp. If it is in the passport, they will be refused a ride to go with the company simply because they are sure to get rejected at the re-entry point when returning to Thailand. This is simply too big if a headache for this company to want to deal with and when this company says it, you can etch it in stone. That means unattended properties, destitute ladies and babies from foreign relations, etc. My heart goes out to the children whose fathers and mothers will not be permitted back into the country.

Legally obtaining an ED Student can only be done through an institution that is certified and registered by the Thai Ministry of Education. That institution is the sponsor of that ED visa (much like a company is a sponsor to the Non-immi B visa, or work permit). You leave the company, you lose the visa. You leave the school, you lose the visa.

The down side of this for many schools currently operating under the limits of minimum Thai law is that the proverbial foxes will lead the hounds right to these illegal school's doorsteps; IF the schools start issuing ED visas to the large influx of foreigners looking for an "out" then they had better be sure that they are operating "by the book", because when the "hounds" come a-sniffing to find out where all of these foreigners went to, they will be looking for ANY reason to cut off avenues if safe haven, even if it means shutting down a school for operating below minimum Thai law allowances (i.e. required course times, students who are no shows but listed as students, students who leave excessively on multiples and cannot possibly add up the hours it would take to complate a year course for say, Thai, at 200 hours, which is the minimum required by Thai law.) This, of course, would constitute black stamps for those involved, and heavy fines for natives.

Not to seem off topic, but this is plausible to the domino effect that is certain to happen and all of these discussions will simply convert over to an ED issue instead of a T issue; relative to say the least, and wise to get a heads up on the direction that things are likely to head in.

I initially thought that this topic was simply an effort to corral foreigners into the tourist company's minivans, and to discriminate against people doing on their own. But when I heard from the horse's mouth that even the tourist companys are refusing service to red-stamped passports, then I became a believer that this is the real thing and even the powers of the owners of these tourist groups do not want to get themselves involved with. Sorry about bad spelling, but I am typing fast. I hope this info gives wise thought and consideration to the intentions of people staying here on T and Ed visas.

They said that anyone coming to them for a Tourist visa run, will have their passport searched for that red stamp. If it is in the passport, they will be refused a ride to go with the company simply because they are sure to get rejected at the re-entry point when returning to Thailand.

There is no report I have seen so far of someone applying for a new tourist visa with a red stamp at Vientiane, so I would say it is somewhat premature for anyone to jump to a conclusion there will be an outright refusal to issue a new visa (and therefore "rejection at the re-entry point when returning to Thailand"). Ok, so the company wants to protect its position/reputation for getting people visas and that is a commercial decision for them, but even IF the visa was denied the applicant could return to Thailand on visa exempt entry, if from one of the qualifying countries.

Edited by thaiphoon

If I understand it correctly these so-called visarun companies bring people the Thai border with Cambodia, the people walk across the border, get stamped in and out of Cambodia, enter Thailand again, and are driven back to their point of departure in Thailand, all on the same day. Therefore, this would be for people who activate a new entry of a visa valid for more than one entry and for those who want to make a visa-exempt entry. This would then mean that this visarun company would refuse travel to people who got a red stamp with the tourist visa in Vientiane – which is so far the only consulate reported to have given this stamp – and subsequently want to make a visa-exempt border run. Is this what they are saying?

--

Maestro

On re-reading the post maybe it is referring to activating a new entry, but I am not sure. If so, then I struggle to see on what basis immigration could deny you access back into the country when you hold a valid visa (assuming you are not blacklisted etc). The stamp is only a warning that a future visa may not be issued; it does not affect the current visa.

I just called my tourist visa company (B&J). It is the biggest one in Pattaya, and arguably in Thailand. They have 27 minivans for Pattaya alone. They said that anyone coming to them for a Tourist visa run, will have their passport searched for that red stamp. If it is in the passport, they will be refused a ride to go with the company simply because they are sure to get rejected at the re-entry point when returning to Thailand. This is simply too big if a headache for this company to want to deal with and when this company says it, you can etch it in stone. That means unattended properties, destitute ladies and babies from foreign relations, etc. My heart goes out to the children whose fathers and mothers will not be permitted back into the country.

You're confused here, or the visa run company is not explaining it clearly to you. Even the 27 minivans is a huge stretch. Business is not that good. It's always quiet at the Cambodia border on visa runs from Pattaya, and they don't need many vans on their Vientiane tourist visa runs.

The reason a company will not take a person on a tourist visa run with a red stamp is because they have no chance of getting a tourist visa. Re-entry is no problem. Obviously they do not want a person to spend a lot of money and waste 2 days on a wild goose chase. Even so, they have only been issuing red warning stamps in Vientiane for about a month. No one would be reapplying for tourist visas yet or going on border runs. That won't happen for several months. In the case of double enty recipients, at least another 5 months.

A double entry tourist visa holder will have no problems activating the second entry with or without a red stamp.

My GF has 6 tourist visas plus one previous red warning stamp from Penang in her passport. She was refused a visa not because of a red stamp, but because she is Asian and has too many tourist visas in her passport. There was no problem getting back into Thailand with a 15 day visa exempt stamp.

What was the text on your red stamp? Was it the same text as the current red stamp delivered in Vientiane?

If it is "same ol', same ol'", then I fail to understand why there are over 50 pages of discussion on various forums.

This may indicate their intentions a little more clearly, in regard to the use of the word "May" as was discussed earlier. Upto you how you want interpret it though.

post-80471-1256279445_thumb.jpg

Edited by beechguy

Somebody in this topic recommended providing some supporting documentation to the Thai Embassy to mitigate the risk of getting that infamous red stamp. He/she mentioned writing a letter addressed to "His Excellency The Consul" explaining that you do not intend on working or conducting illegal activities and such.

I only have two single entry tourist visas in my passport, but I am due for a new one in Vientiane this week. I wrote a letter showing a general itinerary of where I am going, where I am staying and how long I plan to be in each place over the next few months. I attached some copies of paid Air Asia tickets (BKK to Phuket, BKK to Chiang Mai) and a confirmed hotel reservation at the Novotel in Phuket.

Does anybody this that this would really help to mitigrate my chances of getting that red stamp? It may seem like a little bit of overkill, but I think unless we have more information about their "stamping" criteria then it is worth the effort put into the process of not getting that first red stamp.

The criteria based on which they will deny ar a bit unclear. But it makes sense to presume that they are getting stricter to prevent people from working illegaly in Thailand. So if you can show that you are a genuine tourist and have enough income from abroad it might certainly help.

We can only hope that people try this and report their experiences.

Here is this red stamp

post-49774-1253689388_thumb.jpg

Just take the visa paper out of your passport. No more red stamp. Nobody has any idea it was there. Thai officials get upset about removing old visas, but a) they take way too much space; and :) passport is not property of Thailand, but property of the issuing country. I had a lecture about "tampering with official documents". So, if my passport expires, and I burn or shred it, I am tampering with an official document? Ridiculous. Of course, some visa offices might use non-removable adhesive.

Just take the visa paper out of your passport. No more red stamp. Nobody has any idea it was there. Thai officials get upset about removing old visas, but a) they take way too much space; and :D passport is not property of Thailand, but property of the issuing country. I had a lecture about "tampering with official documents". So, if my passport expires, and I burn or shred it, I am tampering with an official document? Ridiculous. Of course, some visa offices might use non-removable adhesive.

The red stamp is actually on the passport page, not on the visa sticker ... :)

This may indicate their intentions a little more clearly, in regard to the use of the word "May" as was discussed earlier. Upto you how you want interpret it though.

post-80471-1256279445_thumb.jpg

I should have looked more closely. NO PROBLEM. Get a new passport, if it's really important. It gives you another 10 entries then, right? In my case I have dual citizenship. That gives me two passports to work with, especially in cases where I didn't want a single entry visa be wasted where a simple entry-stamp would suffice.

Please do not advise people to tamper with there passports - they belong to your government and any such action is a federal offense (severity depending on your country). You could be looking at serious jail time.

Just came back from Vientiane, received double entry TR and they gave me a little different red stamp:

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to

Thailand under A tourist visa several times which may

result in the refusal of a visa in the future."

Only one prior back-to-back TR visa, one older TR and one ED visa. Six 15 day visa exempt entries.

Just came back from Vientiane, received double entry TR and they gave me a little different red stamp:

"Remark: The holder of this passport travels to

Thailand under A tourist visa several times which may

result in the refusal of a visa in the future."

Only one prior back-to-back TR visa, one older TR and one ED visa. Six 15 day visa exempt entries.

Thanks for the report. Use of this stamp has been reported before, and suspect is now being used so the embassy does not have to calculate the number of entries and record that on the passport. Maybe the visa exempt entries have triggered the red stamp for you, as there are many reports from members with several tourist visas not getting red stamped. There does not appear to be any logical pattern to the red stamp process.

Please do not advise people to tamper with there passports - they belong to your government and any such action is a federal offense (severity depending on your country). You could be looking at serious jail time.

Atleast on my passport it does not state anywhere that it is the property of the goverment, it only states that it is my passport. I guess the scandinavian countries are a bit more free than some others. :)

But agreed, you should not mess with your passport in any way!

Edited by Nagatus