Flooding.

jasreeve17

Did the guy take over the payments or something? :D jk

I paid cash. He paid cash. Full price no payments.

A minute ago it was a cheque. Now it's cash. What's next, barter on chickens? :)

Cashiers check to be exact. Anything else I can do for you, Your Wiseness?

While since you asked, invest in a sense of humour mate. :D

Jas..

How about the home owners in Bangkok pay for this one through some tax or so. Seems unfair to pay this from general taxes.

I know that is how it is done in Holland, we are famous for our fight with water. People pay for water management in their area. (some projects that are important for the whole country excluded)

Onon says "EDIT: The other side of the river is much newer to heavy development and I have seen pretty bad flooding just over on the Nonthaburi side, but I've lived through development of flood prone areas and this is what happens. Things get worse as development ensues because no one thinks ahead about flood control. New development displaces waterways and covers land in concrete that can't soak up rainfall. Developers don't care because flooding is an economic externality (convenient). More rainfall floods into lower lying areas including streets and such. Residents complain endlessly. Something is finally done. Things start to get better. Bangkok on the East side of the river has been through this forever I'd imagine - and probably on the densely populated parts of the West side too, but most of the other side of the river is full of brand new mu baans and shopping centers and highways that have all gone up in the last 10 years covering over banana plantations and khlongs and what not. It's gonna be hel_l over there for a while."

Yes, I agree with that.

Will it be sorted out in time or will it get worse with seal levels rising?

well you are getting wittier v-f but keep working on it, now back on topic, I wonder if it will flood tonight? Should we PM Jasreeve so he can roll up his pants :D:)

:D

I'm staying in until the floods stop - then I'm moving back to Thonglor (or maybe KlongToei; depending on finances).

But, I must say folk like VillageFrenchman do make me want to better myself and be just like them. So, I enjoy his / her input...

Jas..

How about the home owners in Bangkok pay for this one through some tax or so. Seems unfair to pay this from general taxes.

I know that is how it is done in Holland, we are famous for our fight with water. People pay for water management in their area. (some projects that are important for the whole country excluded)

Rob,

I agree. I'd be happy to pay more taxes for improvements to be made. Decentralising the power in Thailand (should of happened with the Jap investments of the past...) would be great - more power for regional councils to control their affairs inline with their needs. In a country where management skills are average (if I'm being very kind) local management is much more likely to offer results. Of course, many areas still need to be centralized...

I like your idea and I'd be happy to pay a Bkk tax for city improvements.

Edited by jasreeve17

While you're waiting for the gov't to decentralize, Jas....

Buy a place that drains off into the Chao Phraya, or perhaps into one of the major klongs (Klong Saan Saap for me). And then prep your own property for better drainage as well, you seem to be the kind of guy whose condo balcony drain is clogged with hair and leaves, creating a mini flooded area for you to moan about. :) You'd be surprised how many people don't look at drainage when purchasing a property, heck, some of these people end up blaming the gov't and their neighbors! :D

Get another place on a hill somewhere....outside of Bangkok. K-Buri perhaps, or maybe we could neighbors here on Pratumnak Hill, 37 meters above sea level for me according to the Land Department.

:D

While you're waiting for the gov't to decentralize, Jas....

Buy a place that drains off into the Chao Phraya, ...

...Get another place on a hill somewhere....outside of Bangkok. K-Buri perhaps, or maybe we could neighbors here on Pratumnak Hill, 37 meters above sea level for me according to the Land Department.

:)

This is good practical advice, thank you.

Yeah, my next step must be to get a bit of land outside Bkk and build a nice little place to relax at the weekends. I quite fancy down towards HH where I can relax with my newly found Thai hi-so friends. Frankly, living amongst the masses is irksome (but ideologically you've gotta love 'em); I often wonder to myself - would I choose a move to Liverpool and live amidst a council estate???

Edited by jasreeve17

I must agree with Scott and VF, I have been here 12 years and flooding in most areas of Bangkok has improved considerably, there are of course still the occasional soi which floods deeply though. Soi MCOT is one on Rama 9 Road.

Thonburi has always been the 'poor cousin' to the CBD, look how long it took to get the BMA to agree to terms to get the BTS extension completed, so perhaps this explains your current predicament? I know others areas like Soi laSalle and Samrong still suffer from floods but again nothing like before.

I recall driving a Honda Accord down a flooded soi lasalle when a bow wave from an on coming pick up, turned into an almost perfect (if I was 8 inches tall) right hand point break, across my bonnet before crashing on to the windscreen.

That doesn't happen too often these days, of course it does occasionally but in the past it would be every year, without fail.

For the record I believe the reports that state sea levels are rising, but this has not in my experience affected Bangkok, yet... maybe it will someday, but nobody, not even the authors of these various reports can say when.

I also believe that Earth will get hit by a giant asteroid and that the big one will strike California's San Andreas fault, but have no idea when, and certainly don't lose sleep over it.

I must agree with Scott and VF, I have been here 12 years and flooding in most areas of Bangkok has improved considerably, there are of course still the occasional soi which floods deeply though. Soi MCOT is one on Rama 9 Road.

Thonburi has always been the 'poor cousin' to the CBD, look how long it took to get the BMA to agree to terms to get the BTS extension completed, so perhaps this explains your current predicament? I know others areas like Soi laSalle and Samrong still suffer from floods but again nothing like before.

I recall driving a Honda Accord down a flooded soi lasalle when a bow wave from an on coming pick up, turned into an almost perfect (if I was 8 inches tall) right hand point break, across my bonnet before crashing on to the windscreen.

That doesn't happen too often these days, of course it does occasionally but in the past it would be every year, without fail.

For the record I believe the reports that state sea levels are rising, but this has not in my experience affected Bangkok, yet... maybe it will someday, but nobody, not even the authors of these various reports can say when.

I also believe that Earth will get hit by a giant asteroid and that the big one will strike California's San Andreas fault, but have no idea when, and certainly don't lose sleep over it.

Yep, the consensus seems to be that Thonburi is behind the times while many / most areas of Bkk have actually improved over the years. - thanks Quicksilva, and nice anecdote.

I've gotta move; that's when the sea level will start rising to get me - I may be forced to move up 37m, next to Heng...