A New Twist On Taxi Scams At Swampy

msg362

this is a reply to the first post (op). You said he had to pay a flat fee of 700 baht right? Was it because he took a 'larger' taxi? I also posted about this today as I arrived a few weeks ago with a bicycle and suitcases, which would have smooshed into a normal taxi (did it before in another country) but they insisted on a taxi a bit bigger and said it has flat rate of 700 baht to include everything (highway fees, etc). The only reason I said yes is because the "official" employees at the taxi queue insisted on it and started to become a bit argumentative, and just as well several other customers were watching in line behind me, waiting and staring. I don't know if that 700 baht fee is 'legal', or this is a rip off.

I had two days ago the same experience.

All the way from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Sukhumvit Soi Nana the traffic was ok, smooth and no problem.

I mentioned that the Taximeter was running to fast and on the end of the journey at the IBIS-NANA Htl the meter showed 62 km, 370 B. on the clock + 50 B. Airport surcharge=420 B. and + 70 B. for the Highwayfees.

As far as i can remember that is about 15-20 km more than usual and about 120-150 B. more than I used to pay.

The driver tried also to keep the paper which you get at the airport taxi counter and which you can-should use for a complaint.

I wrote a report, but will not change anything.

this is a reply to the first post (op). You said he had to pay a flat fee of 700 baht right? Was it because he took a 'larger' taxi? I also posted about this today as I arrived a few weeks ago with a bicycle and suitcases, which would have smooshed into a normal taxi (did it before in another country) but they insisted on a taxi a bit bigger and said it has flat rate of 700 baht to include everything (highway fees, etc). The only reason I said yes is because the "official" employees at the taxi queue insisted on it and started to become a bit argumentative, and just as well several other customers were watching in line behind me, waiting and staring. I don't know if that 700 baht fee is 'legal', or this is a rip off.

I started a thread on this back in around April. Where in the past the bigger taxis went on the meter or for a negotiable price, the staff at the public taxi desk are now saying there is a standard rate of B700 to town. Even Bang Na is I think B500, which seems well over the odds. If you know a driver it is possible to get around this by phoning and booking a pick-up in a larger taxi, which I managed to do at a lower price on my last trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I got a call, regarding my sent complain-paper to the Taxi-association.

A lady spoke in good English with ne and wanted to clear up some things.

The Taximeter shall be tested and the Taxidriver asked.

If it helps, we will see.

Very few meters are rigged as it is taken seriously by the police and company/driver would be in trouble if reported. The normal method is a micro-switch located in the suspension that when activated by a driver control clicks another 100 meters on each bump. Watch the meter and you can tell. The total distance will be much higher than normal and you will notice 100 meters sometimes passing in rapid succession and other times normal. Have only had that pulled one time and was only about a 20 baht difference in a short ride - if they see you checking the meter they will likely turn it off. But only a very small number of cabs have it as police do check them occasionally.

Edited by lopburi3

Yes,

exactly that happened, the 100 meters jumped faster than usual and the distance from Suvarnabhumi-Sukhumvit Soi Nana=Soi 4, I think, was 62 km!

But I did not mention how he did it, but he was always moving on his seat and seemed to be nervous.

I do not know what the athorities do after my written complain and the talking on mobile with me, but we will see and anyway,

I tried.

That's good news. At least you got a call back so someone has read you complaint.

I got rigged meter already twice this year but did not send the complaint as thought nothing will happen. But in the future once it happens again i will certainly send it. Actually all should do it. The more complains they receive the harder it is for them to ignore.

This meter rigging seems to be more common nowadays. Small % still but increasing as the economy also hits the drivers.

That's good news. At least you got a call back so someone has read you complaint.

I got rigged meter already twice this year but did not send the complaint as thought nothing will happen. But in the future once it happens again i will certainly send it. Actually all should do it. The more complains they receive the harder it is for them to ignore.

This meter rigging seems to be more common nowadays. Small % still but increasing as the economy also hits the drivers.

Got in a rigged taxi once when i got back from bungsamran fishing park, a trip i made countless times for 250bt.. now it was 470 bt same route. My gf did not want to complain because she was scared but called the taxi center to complain later. She got called back but we never knew if the driver was caught.